Improved Ray Tracing and Screen Space Quality!PC 

Terronium-12

For My Mom, Always
United States
Brooklyn, NY
KR_Viper
I Renown I
First and foremost, this is not a discovery I made. All credit goes to snakedbr on Reddit, whom I asked permission to share and get more eyes on this.

Evidently (and I'll provide proof shortly) Turn 10 made the decision to neuter the quality of ray tracing and screen space reflection and lighting quality, even when set to ultra. Reflections are dull and not very well defined, and there's too much noise on shiny objects (like oil caps). Leading me to think the RT denoiser is either inadequate or there isn't one. GT7 has a very, very similar issue which is what ultimately led to me turning off its RT as the overall image quality is far more crisp.

Onto the meat and potatoes, the comparison:

On the left is the original, and on the right is the mod. If the differences don't immediately pop out at you, look at the ground. The light is more evenly distributed; the reflections casted are now higher resolution and, as a result, more crisp. Now look at the right (left) headlight and you'll notice it doesn't look anywhere near as flat and opaque; the details are much more pronounced than they were originally.

And now you'll start examining everything else about the picture. You're welcome. :lol:

How do you acquire this, you may be wondering? Unfortunately, this is only for PC players and it can be obtained down below. I've arranged everything into the proper folders and subfolders, so all you'll need to do is drag and drop.

Once again, all credit goes to snakedbr on Reddit so be sure to pop in and say thanks!

Here's his video as well:

Attachments

• Forza Motorsport Better Details.zip
    14.6 KB · Views: 21
Leading me to think the RT denoiser is either inadequate or there isn't one.

This was a general problem before DLSS 3.5, which dramatically improves the quality of RT denoising at similar performance.

I'd love to be able to turn RT on to try the mod, but as I only have an incredibly low end GPU (4080), and a terrible CPU (5800X 3D) I have to run with High settings rather than Ultra, and RT off, to get even remotely decent performance (fairly constant 80fps).

Last edited:
This was a general problem before DLSS 3.5, which dramatically improves the quality of RT denoising at similar performance.

I'd love to be able to turn RT on to try the mod, but as I only have an incredibly low end GPU (4080), and a terrible CPU (5800X 3D) I have to run with High settings rather than Ultra, and RT off, to get even remotely decent performance (fairly constant 80fps).

I'm right there with you. I only have a lowly 5800X and 6900XT — very low-end hardware not good enough to get the job done.

I'm right there with you. I only have a lowly 5800X and 6900XT — very low-end hardware not good enough to get the job done.

That makes me wonder how much optimization was done for the XBox Series X, where the hardware is behind both of yours. Looking over that Reddit thread, it seems that on 5000-series Ryzen systems, FM is CPU-limited, as someone with the 4090 and 5800X3D (and 32 GB RAM) was getting only a solid 80 FPS with stock ultra settings, and took a 15 FPS hit with the mod.

I'll have to see what this does with my Sierra Hotel system (13900KF/4090 FE/64 GB DDR5-6000-CL30) later.

Which directory does one drop this 'media' folder? I'm hoping to have some time to play the new FM in the next month or so.

Jerome

Which directory does one drop this 'media' folder? I'm hoping to have some time to play the new FM in the next month or so.

Jerome
The \Forza Motorsport\Content directory. In the Microsoft Store download, it should be under the XboxGames folder (C:\XboxGames in my case). In Steam, it should be under the \Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common folder (drop the x86 part if you're using the 32-bit version of Windows, though I doubt FM should run under that). I would recommend renaming the changed files first (full list below the spoiler, and capitalization doesn't matter on the file names themselves).

• \media\base\cars\_library\globalcarattributes.xml
  • \media\base\gametunablesettings\userconfigoptions.xml
  • \media\base\tracks\basetracksettings.xml
  • \media\pcfamily\renderscenarios\high\global.xml
  • \media\pcfamily\renderscenarios\ultra\global.xml

It does make things look better, but on my system, running 4K HDR ultra settings throughout, it knocked the benchmark down from 82 FPS to 72 FPS.

Right on, thanks mang!

Jerome

You don't have to worry about backing anything up as I have those as well, so if anything breaks (and it absolutely shouldn't!) give me a holler.
Once I get around to getting the game installed, I'll backup those directories too just in case (assuming I remember). I got your number....sorta :lol:

Jerome

The \Forza Motorsport\Content directory. In the Microsoft Store download, it should be under the XboxGames folder (C:\XboxGames in my case). In Steam, it should be under the \Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common folder (drop the x86 part if you're using the 32-bit version of Windows, though I doubt FM should run under that). I would recommend renaming the changed files first (full list below the spoiler, and capitalization doesn't matter on the file names themselves).

• \media\base\cars\_library\globalcarattributes.xml
  • \media\base\gametunablesettings\userconfigoptions.xml
  • \media\base\tracks\basetracksettings.xml
  • \media\pcfamily\renderscenarios\high\global.xml
  • \media\pcfamily\renderscenarios\ultra\global.xml

It does make things look better, but on my system, running 4K HDR ultra settings throughout, it knocked the benchmark down from 82 FPS to 72 FPS.
Done and done. I will have a problem moving my rig to be in front of my TV and back since my DOF is heavy AF and I'm on carpet. But maybe I can manage.

Jerome

Last edited:
Back