Improvements!....Physics-wise

• Thread starter Osr20_L
  • 79 comments
Ahh??? Just focus on physics period. We all Love GT and know its not bad but could be better so make it better from the bottom up< >

PD needs to aim for iRacing. I know that there's no chance they'll match it, but at least having high expectations means that they can improve a lot. And I mean, a lot.

Something as basic as engine braking, yet not modelled:

Or the fact that (I've been told) that GT5's tire model is very basic. Driving below 5 km/h in GT5 is impossible, because the car will actually unrealistically slide around.

I'm pretty sure that if you do that in real life the engine will blow before any engine braking can actually take place.

I'm pretty sure that if you do that in real life the engine will blow before any engine braking can actually take place.

Although it would certainly not be beneficial to the engine, such an abrupt action would would most likely overwhelm the tires (especially non-slick DOT tires), causing them to lose static friction before being capable of significantly increasing the engine's rpms above redline for any sustained period of time.

The more appropriate test to determine the presence or absence of simulated engine braking would have been to simply compare the rates of deceleration between staying in gear and dropping into neutral.

Handling in the wet makes no sense to me; 100% surface water on track and somehow slick tyres offer the best grip :confused:

For some reason the road tyres which have grooves to deal with rain still offer the least grip in wet conditions, this needs fixing I think.

Try enabling realistic grip reduction (it defaults to Weak) and disabling skid recovery force. In this way it will more correctly reflect real life behavior of tires on low grip surfaces.

I think you should check better your options, because in GT5 with the correct settings slick tires have almost no grip on wet surfaces, and sports tires (semi-slick) have less grip on them than comfort tires (street tires).

PD needs to aim for iRacing. I know that there's no chance they'll match it, but at least having high expectations means that they can improve a lot. And I mean, a lot.

Something as basic as engine braking, yet not modelled:

Or the fact that (I've been told) that GT5's tire model is very basic. Driving below 5 km/h in GT5 is impossible, because the car will actually unrealistically slide around.

Actually, I think we do have engine braking. When you drop from 4th to say, 1st, it will try and "auto-blip" or rev-match until it reaches a speed below the red line. Disabling the engines effects on braking.

I'm sure that you can feel the effects of engine braking when in a race shifting normally.

I hope GT6 spends some time simulating tire temps and pressures, it is very important yet very basic or missing from GT5.

^ Agreed, engine braking is much more noticeable if you use the clutch and the manual gearbox.

These are two points I can think of:

Rev-limiter: It should not be dependent on the speed/gear which you're in. The value for the rpm drop, and the rate of it actually dropping and rising again should be kept constant.

Gearshifts: The shift-times should be more random, and a little bit longer than they currently are (or allow DS3 users to use a clutch as well). Automatics and dual-clutch gearboxes should behave very similarly, but with a shorter shift times for DSG's. Automatic transmissions should allow for switching modes (especially if used in conjunction with a possible free roam).

All of this is my humble opinion :sly:

I think you should check better your options, because in GT5 with the correct settings slick tires have almost no grip on wet surfaces, and sports tires (semi-slick) have less grip on them than comfort tires (street tires).

I completed a race on Nurb about a month ago in which the rain began about 2 minutes into a 2 lap race. I tried a variety of tyres and combinations and Racing Slicks, for the whole race, we're far superior to Intermediates or Racing Slicks changing to Intermediates.

While I would agree that Intermediates were superior to RS in the rain, the net benefit--including the removal of pitstops--of staying on slicks was still present.

I guess what I'm saying is that Intermediates and Rain Tyres should have an even greater advantage over slicks in the rain.

That's how it should be. If semi slick tires had no disadvantages compared to standard road tires, they would probably be the only option for high end sports cars. Manufacturers provide regular tires to allow cars to operate in all weather. Slicks are terrible in the wet because there is nothing that gets the rain out from between the road and tire.

Also stuff like the exhaust pipe shake when the cars reved that would be awesome and windscreen washers to work when your rallying to clean the mud off and dead flys lol

I know nothing there ^ has anything to do with physics of the game

The only thing I don't like about GT5's physics, is that it doesn't seem like the cars have enough body roll, they just feel really stiff in my opinion.

I would like to see small things like torque-steer included.

My concern is that torque-steer isn't a small thing, and it's strange that no iteration of GT has ever included it from a standing start.

My only major concern with the physics right now in GT5 focuses solely on the primitive tire model. I'd love to see all of the real-life dimensions taken into account in the next game (even better, let us upgrade things like tire size and width), but while I'm sure other aspects of the physics engine can continue to be fine-tuned (perhaps emulating the more complicated active suspensions out there, or improving the aerodynamic modelling), that is the area that needs attention first and foremost, IMO.

The only thing I don't like about GT5's physics, is that it doesn't seem like the cars have enough body roll, they just feel really stiff in my opinion.

Exactly. Sometimes I feel that even GT2 did a better job at this. It's especially noticeable on old muscle cars.

Check the braking test on this video:

GT5 has none of that suspension work. It's funny though, I think GTA4 actually looks closer to real life in this aspect. A lot of improvement needed IMO.

Exactly. Sometimes I feel that even GT2 did a better job at this. It's especially noticeable on old muscle cars.

Check the braking test on this video:

GT5 has none of that suspension work. It's funny though, I think GTA4 actually looks closer to real life in this aspect. A lot of improvement needed IMO.

GT4 also had more body roll.

Back