In depth maintenance.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Smoke&Slide
  • 37 comments
  • 2,505 views
Messages
2,119
United Kingdom
Somewhere only we know.
Messages
FanofGT5
Meaning checking colour + level of all fluids, a top up or replacing all fluids, replacing air, oil & fuel filters.Also the maintenance could be done in general like every 5,000 miles ( 8,000 km ) or more or less for different cars.Could also replace wearing parts like brake pads, brake discs, tyres & maybe exhausts.Also could replace damaged parts.This could be done at the car dealers.
 
Last edited:
My immediate reaction: No.

First, it is still a game. Does PD want to implement this for a few die-hard fans? Is it really necessary?

But in all, if it can be done, I wouldn't mind it as long as it doesn't distract me so often.
 
No, because if you want to up the realism that much you might as well go the whole hog and make it so you do all the maintenence after every race like real race mecanics do. That would get boring very fast.
 
Meaning checking colour + level of all fluids, a top up or replacing all fluids, replacing air, oil & fuel filters.Also the maintenance could be done in general like every 5,000 miles ( 8,000 km ) or more or less for different cars.Could also replace wearing parts like brake pads, brake discs, tyres & maybe exhausts.Also could replace damaged parts.This could be done at the car dealers.

I wouldn't mind if PD implemented that.
 
Well just the servicing then, leave out replacing damaged parts.
 
I think this is waaaaaaaaaay beyond. Nor even PC sims like LFS have this, plus, it'll take out one of the great aspects of sim racing...it's 0 maintenance :lol:.
 
I can't even keep up the service on my real life car... there is no way I would want to keep up service in a garage of 60+ cars in GT... realistic yes, fun... no... you would spend more time checking stuff and fixing than you do racing. Which again is realistic, but I don't want to pay $$ for that experience. I pay to enjoy, if I have to work, I want to GET paid for it ;)
 
I didn't intend to make it sound like a chore guys, if a car was parked for say 6 months then yeah it would need a service etc.I didn't mean that much depth.Just service it after a set mileage schedule, because if you dion't service your car a short while after the oil light is on, the engine seizes.
 
Well just the servicing then, leave out replacing damaged parts.
It's the servicing that would be the chore. If your racing your car you would be servicing it every race, in cases where your running a higly tuned car that might even extent to a complete rebuild of the engine, every race. That would be boring. Damaged parts would be great, but I wouldn't want it to be a chore repairing them. Just have it an automatic process after each race with a small sum taken from your winnings.
 
I doubt PD would go into too much detail, such as engine rebuilding, g'box rebuilding & the same for the diffs, they would need a personal library of Haynes manuals at least.
 
I believe in GT4 the cars performance was affected by the mileage & not changing the oil.
There was a place in the tuning garage to fix this for cost something like 50,000 credit.
So I think PD will more than likely carry over into GT5. :)
 
Hi regnar, i think you mean the degraded rigidity there mate.I forgot brake fluid & spark plugs.
 
Last edited:
I believe in GT4 the cars performance was affected by the mileage & not changing the oil.
There was a place in the tuning garage to fix this for cost something like 50,000 credit.
So I think PD will more than likely carry over into GT5. :)

This is about as complex as I think it should get... and I would prefer that you can choose to do this repair at any time, not have to exit out of a race back to the main screen to do it. I know that takes some of the challenge out but the other way is just annoying.
 
goddamn, I might as well just buy a sportier car rather than go through all that misery in a game.

over the last week we've talked about part damage, maintenance, airbag deployment, insurance, emissions, removing driver assists from old cars--just who would enjoy playing a game with any of that? certainly not the millions who enjoyed previous gt's but maybe a handful of detail nazi's at best. The problem with it is that it takes effort to put it in, and robs fun from most users. (or at least fails to add any fun)
what's next? fatal crashes? prison time for people who run others off the track?

before pd puts in that kinds of excessive detail, let's just let them figure out the physics of driving first.
 
Last edited:
I think it's interesting and will be in the game. But it would certainly be more often than 5kmiles i doubt you would even drive 5kmiles on one car for the life of the few years you play the game until GT6 comes out. When you drive a car fast around a track, you pretty much have to service it every time, even standard road cars. So i would say it would more likely be every 500 miles for new tyres/brakes/fluids etc.
 
My quick reaction was 'Hell yeah' but then after thinking about it I think that 'its just a game'. I mean I love tuning and tweaking the cars down to every detail but I really dont want to have to worry about ridiculous amounts of maintenance to keep my finely tuned car running at its peak.
 
No...No...No.. Did I say...NO!. Enough with these little additional details. It is a racing sim game and racing is what I want to do. Even the oil change ,for me ,was a bother. Tire pressure adjustments,a 4 corner scale ,fully adjustable ballast,a skid pad,a transmission and rear gear that I can adjust to any ratio I chose,maybe even a 400 meter test straight. Weather would be great,damage I can take or leave.

I don't care what gets added to arcade as I seldom use it. But in GT mode I only want things that add to the racing. Reverse lights,starter buttons,maintenance and much of the other gimmicky things have no place in GT mode. They become a useless distraction that adds no value to the racing. Leave the kiddy stuff in the arcade .IMO.


........................................................Larry
 
Just design physics for brake fade for cars with steel brake discs.You don't need to see an fmv of parts renewed/replaced.
 
Personally I think it is unnecessary, as every race starts with fresh tires and you could technically assume that the oil change from past games is an all-purpose fluids refill/filter replacement, the rigidity refresher is a frame/suspension repair, and the car wash is an aero/paint refresh and detailing. The three maintenance steps already taken in past games kind of generically cover all bases, and just adding more information to the descriptions in the menu would say what they are doing.

Adding damage repair is a whole new thing though. If you blow a gasket or bust your radiator then you have to go get the fluid change done after the repair to return to full performance, or something like that to connect it all together properly.

there is no way I would want to keep up service in a garage of 60+ cars in GT...
I hope you are low balling. I maxed out garage capacities in all but GT4 (and GT PSP of course). I had hundreds and I kept their maintenance in check by running them all through the car wash, oil change, and checking the rigidity before and after every race.
 
I hope you are low balling. I maxed out garage capacities in all but GT4 (and GT PSP of course). I had hundreds and I kept their maintenance in check by running them all through the car wash, oil change, and checking the rigidity before and after every race.

Well 60+... I wouldn't want to do it on 60 (heck not even really 3 or 4) and since almost everyone would have more than 60... well it only gets worse :)
 
Well 60+... I wouldn't want to do it on 60 (heck not even really 3 or 4) and since almost everyone would have more than 60... well it only gets worse :)
GT4 was so credit friendly that just doing checks every time I took a car to do something seemed to cost me relatively nothing and I just made it a habit.

But this conversation does raise a point that too much realism begins to be too boring or complex.
 
I think it would make a great license test, understanding what maintenance needs to be done and why, and then what extra maintenance might need to be done for a track car.

I've learnt a lot of what I know and understand about cars from Gran Turismo, and am open to learning as much as possible from the game.
 
While the idea's cool and adds to the feeling of ownership, there would need to be a "just do it for me, for crying out loud!" option.
 
Unequivocally no.

If I wanted to worry about in depth maintenance I would head downstairs and deal with my 30 year old car.

The benefits of a game such as GT is that you can escape the down sides of real life, not experience them again in a different context.
 
Washing your car and having to change oil sucks. I hope they dont include that garbage.
All it translates to is extra load times and time that should be spent on the track.
 
It's a game, so no.

I feel this is another thread product of over speculation, due to the long wait for GT5.

The people that say yes are few an far between, the Millions that buy this game and made it popular are going to say 'no'

I say 'no' as well.
 
Back