Increasing power to the logitech G920

• Thread starter Emil Furman
  • 112 comments
So what to go by?
The motors have to be at least 18v - 12v wont work. Some motors are sold by buying either the 12v or 24v version. Just make sure it will run on 24v. If it says on the specs it runs of 24v, then it should work. They're not expensive, so you might just have to buy them and see how they go.

Anyone got a working main circuit board for the G29 they want to give away or sell? It's the last component I need to swap out to try and get my wheel working again.... Mine looks fine, but after a motor burnt out, the power doesnt seem to be getting to the new motors.

motorav_m36n_5e_e.jpg

Just found this motor from a copier machine. It seems to have similar rpms but much more torque. Is this any good before I make the commitment to buy a couple of them?

Is this any good before I make the commitment to buy a couple of them?
It may be good spec-wise, but does it also come with a dual output shaft? You need that to be able to put the encoder's magnet onto one of the motors so that the hardware knows in which position the motor is

If u're buying it I'm buying it too. The 2 things I'm concerned about are, will the board handle the motors without any upgrades and how are we gonna mount the sensors. I know we gonna add heat sinks on chips but are we gonna replace something on the board too?
Careful because these have a slightly bigger diameter (36mm original, these ones say 38.8mm) and they also seem longer. I'm buying because I also have that aluminium cnc bracket and I can modify my wheel a lot.

Careful because these have a slightly bigger diameter (36mm original, these ones say 38.8mm) and they also seem longer. I'm buying because I also have that aluminium cnc bracket and I can modify my wheel a lot.
Well, ****. Good luck man I really hope it works.

ps1.jpg
ps2.jpg

Is there any advantage using these steel power supplies vs a regular power brick?
Comparing same volts and same amps on both units

Hello everyone. I have a question because I'm not very good at English, but can you use your g29 with 30V PSU without changing any PCB or motor? Just adding ventilation to cool down things.

Thank you very much for your knowledge.

Hello everyone, is there anyone still ready to modify their steering wheel? I have a g27 to which I wanted to install the arc team mod. Of course it is no longer for sale. Has anyone figured out the components of the booster circuit? Thank you and hello to everyone

Last edited:
What do you have in place to dissipate heat?
Did the Mosfets get hot?
How did you adapt the sensor?

I was thinking about going with the RS555SH-2670 instead of the 18150. The 18150 have only 26% more torque than stock, while the 2670 has 89% more torque. Another pro is the operating voltage, 9-30v for the 2670 as opposed to 18-30v for the 18150 and 12-28v stock. This lower voltage operation should even decrease the center "dead zone". The downside is the 2670 uses 40% more amps than even the 18150. There is also a post on FB about using the 2670, they had near perfect linearity and 7nM of force, thats higher than the CSL 1.1. While there isn't a ton of info and it looks as if this is a completely custom setup it does make me want to try those out.

I have two G29 wheels, after your report, my plan now is to play it safe with one and install the 18150 motors and the other install 2670's. I'm hoping the worst thing that happens with the bigger motors is the FETS blow at which point I have to replace them anyway.

bg1.png

Were you able to find the RS555SH-2670 I have been looking for some but I have been unable to locate any

Hey, I've been following this thread for a bit of time and wanting to upgrade my g29, expecting a simple drop in motor replacement (with some cooling upgrades), i ordered 2 motors off of aliexpress that had photos of the m36n-2 motor... Well I got m36n-4e motors instead. I checked the datasheet at https://www.mitsumi.co.jp/latest-M/Catalog/pdf/motorav_m36n_4e_e.pdf and when comparing it looks like it needs 5-10 times more amperage when compared to the m36n-2.

So if anyone is more knowledgeable in the field, could you let me know if I could still use these as a drop in replacement (maybe im misunderstanding the datasheet), will the mosfets not blow, is there any other kind of problem like - because of the higher amperage requirement the motor will not perform well until i upgrade the whole power circuit to support higher amps?

If i need to make some additional changes what would i need to do?

Maybe someone here already tried to fit the m36n-4e motors?

I started my G25 journey here a year ago, so I put my **** here now.
Not completely related to this topic, but I think it doesn't hurt anybody, maybe somebody find it interesting or something. :D

My first idea was to use a H-Bridge to power up the new motors that I bought, but without needing change the original board. I actually have a BTS7960, and was wondering thats any way to do it work... It just need a PWM signal...

So what i want to do is increase the power on my G920, i have looked at the G27 ARC mod that increases the voltage with a booster board and a bigger power supply. I have found the installation guide and parts list for the ARC mod but some of the instructions are incomplete, if anyone has access to the original ones i would highly appreciate it. My other idea is replacing the motors inside the wheel for ones that draw more AMPS and also have higher rpm speeds and more torque, i would also get a 24v powersupply with this that can delivery a higher amperage. Any technical help is highly appreciated
Hi, looks like you are pretty good with electronics. I've got a problem with my steering wheel. It doesn't want to reference. I suspect it's the hall effect sensor gone. Or have you got any other idea? Maybe the magnet become weak? ? Cheers

Hey guys i am starting a new project that will hopefully increase the response time and torque of my G920. To start off with i will be replacing the PSU with a 28v 5amp one and i will be adding some heatsinks to the motors and fets, below you can find a full list of the parts i have coming throught the mail this week.

PSU:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-3V-5V-9V-12V-15V-24V-28V-30V-36V-48V-Switching-Power-Supply-Transformer/392324999345?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=661545335769&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

FAN CONTROLLER:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3V-35V-12V-24V-PWM-DC-Motor-Speed-Control-Adjustable-Switch-LED-Fan-Dimmer-UK/163679894095?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

MOTOR HEATSINKS:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motor-Heatsink-540-550-1-10-RC-Blue-for-Traxxas-slash-FTX-vantage-carnage-Losi/383051863071?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

FET HEATSINKS:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aluminium-Heat-sink-Radiator-for-IC-Transistor-SCR-MOSFET-Chipset-TO-220-TO-247/254174392651?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=553531830300&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

DC JACK:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-5-x-2-1MM-DC-POWER-JACK-MALE-PLUG-ON-30CM-CABLE-CORD-CCTV-3A-CONTINUOUS-5A-MAX/172381479481?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Below i have a picture of the board that shows you in red where i will be placing the FET heatsinks, i will also be cooling the ARC chip on the board.
j59tdnX.jpg

I will be using a 120mm fan from a CPU cooler to cool the internals and this is what i have done so far to the top cover of the wheel.
SpU4SPF.jpg

z1m3MuF.jpg

It is a bit rough at the moment but i will be sanding it all down and making it look pretty, below you can find a sexy pic of the board :gtpflag:
rIjAFV9.jpg

The next step that i will take in upgrading this wheel is changing the motors and the FET's, i am still currently looking for suitable motors but i have the FET's i will be using nailed down. The G920 has 3 FET's just like the previous logitech wheels but they are different types then what you get on a G25/G27. It uses 2 x 4951GM and 1 x 9977GM, i will be replacing these with 2 x 4957GM and 1 x 9975GM. These upgrades will have to wait though until next payday but once i get them i will post an update here :D. Feel free to ask any questions.

Last edited:
Back