Indycars (IRL) in GT5 Discussion

  • Thread starter Thread starter Earth
  • 58 comments
  • 12,788 views

Do you want to see Indycars from the 90s and 80s in GT5?

  • Yes

    Votes: 55 65.5%
  • No

    Votes: 29 34.5%

  • Total voters
    84
Messages
8,077
Messages
GTP_Royalton
rpm_i_indy500_580.jpg


At long last an official open wheel racing series is in Gran Turismo

2010 Indy Car specs

Engine: Rev Limited to 10,300, around 650 horsepower
Push to pass system: Each car is allowed twenty twelve second boosts of around 40 horsepower
1,565 pounds (691.7 kg) for ovals
1,630 pounds (725.7 kg) for road courses

The championship consists of 9 road course races (4 true street courses, 1 airport and 4 permanent road courses) and 8 oval races with the premier event being the Indianapolis 500.

Going off of Panoz DP01 vs F1 times at Montreal, I can speculate that a 2010 spec Indycar is 10-15 seconds per lap slower then a 2010 spec Formula 1 car around a roadcourse. However, a 2010 Indycar is very comparable in speed to a LMP1 prototype however it should be noted that LMP1 cars race at 900 or 925kgs, which is considerably more then the 725kgs 2010 Indycars use on roadcourses
 
Last edited:
...IRL is ok...though, i wont believe it's in the game till i see an IMG/Video of IRL in GT5
 
Is say yeah, my as well include a few of the most famous/memorable cars from IRL's history, same with any of the series, maybe rewards for completing the respective series
 
IN GT world, The more the better.
 
Sorry but no. GT is about production cars and thats how it should stay. Buy a F1 or indy game if thats what floats your boat.
 
Sorry but no. GT is about production cars and thats how it should stay. Buy a F1 or indy game if thats what floats your boat.

And what's the harm to have them in the game? I like how GT is getting broader and including various types of motorsports. Sure as hell will keep me hooked up in the game for a longer time.
 
Sorry but no. GT is about production cars and thats how it should stay. Buy a F1 or indy game if thats what floats your boat.

Haven't F1 cars been in GT since GT3 ? Nascar and WRC are not really production cars either ..... not that you could buy one and drive it on the street. GT4 had exotics in it that never made it to production either.

I realize that this is your opinion, but it just isn't based in fact :)

The poll is a bit misleading ..... Indy cars weren't called Indy cars until the IRL was formed in 1996. If the question is ... do we want CART cars as well as Indy cars, it can't be a yes or no answer. I would like to see the most current series and tracks replicated but not necessarily the older generation cars :)

The only Indy Car game made was for PS2, not counting the IRL cars found in TOCA 3. My Codemasters IRL game is signed by 6 of the drivers in the game :)

picture.php



Oh yes, we can't forget the original PS1 game that featured 50% CART cars and 50% Nascar racing .... kinda weird huh :)

picture.php


Other than this and the chapter in TOCA 3, there just aren't enough American open wheel racing games made, so I'd love to see them in GT5 :)

Ooops ... forget about my Dreamcast CART game also ................ :)

picture.php


Note: These are not internet pictures ... these are photos I just took from my collection :)
 
Last edited:
Sorry but no. GT is about production cars and thats how it should stay. Buy a F1 or indy game if thats what floats your boat.

According to Kaz, GT is about having the most types of racing series as possible

What I liked about GT1 so much when it first came out was that it had production cars and racecars, which was a first in racing games that I played.

Anyways, this is generally how the Indycars looked in the 90s when they were known as CART. They were much faster then today's IRL car by quite a bit. Most Indycar fans prefer the look, sound and speed of the cars CART used in the 90s

1998-R08-Detroit-Gil_de_Ferran.420.jpg

ef-ind94d.jpg
 
Last edited:
One additional note relating to Earth's comments .....

The CART cars competed at the Montreal Gilles Villeneuve circuit which is the same course as the F1 cars run on. The CART cars were only 2 seconds per lap slower than the F1 cars and most attributed it simply to the additional weight that the cars carried ..... power was comparable with the turbo chargered 2.6 liter motors that CART ran. They certainly were faster than the current IRL cars.
 
Sorry but no. GT is about production cars and thats how it should stay.
Since when? Race cars have been included in each game in the GT series.

The only Indy Car game made was for PS2, not counting the IRL cars found in TOCA 3. My Codemasters IRL game is signed by 6 of the drivers in the game :)
It was also available on PC, it was the first racing game I played with a wheel back in the day. Great game. 👍
 
Sorry but no. GT is about production cars and thats how it should stay. Buy a F1 or indy game if thats what floats your boat.

Some people take the GT thing to seriously, it's just a name.

As for your second comment, I have a stand alone NASCAR game and plan on buying the F1 game when it comes out(if it's any good), It's still nice to see them in GT as you can take them on tracks you normally wouldn't as well as see how they rank against other cars.
 
ANFD
he poll is a bit misleading ..... Indy cars weren't called Indy cars until the IRL was formed in 1996. If the question is ... do we want CART cars as well as Indy cars, it can't be a yes or no answer. I would like to see the most current series and tracks replicated but not necessarily the older generation cars

Im just trying to dumb everything down for those who dont know about the split and eventual "unification"

On the subject of Indycar tracks, there are several good ones.

I really wish PD would stop creating their own trashy fictional street courses and implement some real life outstanding ones. The follow IRL tracks not only are very well laid out considering they are true road courses, but they also have at least one great passing opportunity per lap. The IRL is racing at a new street track in Brazil this year, but judging from the track map it looks like Polyphony Digital designed it. A bunch of 90 degree turns and chicanes.👎

Long Beach
The lead up to and the final corner reminds me so much of Monaco's final section.



Toronto
 
Since when? Race cars have been included in each game in the GT series.


It was also available on PC, it was the first racing game I played with a wheel back in the day. Great game. 👍

Right you are :) I also have it for my PC (just having memory problems I guess). I agree, it is a great game requiring the focus and concentration that circling at 200+ MPH requires :)
 
I'm wondering if Danica's car will inherently be slower than the leaders causing users of that car to never be able to get a win ;) It would add more authenticity I'd think :p
 
I'm wondering if Danica's car will inherently be slower than the leaders causing users of that car to never be able to get a win ;) It would add more authenticity I'd think :p

As well as the ability to get out of the car after a wreck and throw a temper tantrum.:lol:
 
Nice collection ANFD. Andretti racing was pretty good for its time.

I wish I never missed out on this one though, seeing that it was made by Papyrus it had to be good.

icr2_front.jpg


But I did buy this one. Got to race asmy racing hero Michael Andretti. My favorite Indycar game of all time. Even had a mode where you could race the entire season 2 player, which I did with my brother. Awesome game with awesome commentary.

TN_Newman_Haas_Racing_ntsc-front.JPG


I also bought this. It was good but the AI was too quick at times.

simg_t_og05270xhodf.jpg


I dont have either game anymore as I dont do a good job of collecting.

EDIT: I've always said if I had the money/knowledge etc to make any game I wanted to, I would make an Indycar game.
 
Last edited:
As well as the ability to get out of the car after a wreck and throw a temper tantrum.:lol:

Trying to find the perfect one. There are lots of Danica being "Danica" ;)



 
Peeps maybe it's good advice, to ignore Deadlist as he was acting a douche earlier.
 
I Like IRL to be in...
But I only want the recent ones.
Just because I don't want the original GT5 concept, the gt cars, sports cars, race cars, etc... to be replaced by too many IRL cars. I think .. If you want Indy Cars of all times, you should buy a game that's focused on IRL
 
I know there aren't many games dedicated to IRL. But this is just another of those 'should this be in' threads.

Nothing against indy. I just don't see why there should be every type of racing series in the game when we're getting everything out of GTPSP already. Which takes away from what wasn't in GTPSP.

Cars like the ACR, SLS 458 etc.
Don't know about youse. But i'd much rather have Noble, Ascari, Gumpert and Koeniggsegg in the game. (Or porsche) :drool:

EDIT: Forgot to mention I would like to see the modern cars in the game ;)
 
Do you mean CARTs by that? Then yes, please. :drool:

I'm not sure, if there was another Indy league back then? :ouch:



Edit/ voted YES anyways. :P
 
-> Like F1, I'm not really a fan of any open-wheeled racing; but I do welcome IRL in GT.
 
I’ve never really followed IRL or CART and if I’m being honest I don’t watch that many F1 races anymore as it’s lost a lot of the excitement it used to have, maybe Schumacher’s return will spice it up a bit. MotoGP is my favourite race series for many reasons but mostly because the racing is closer and it doesn’t take itself too seriously but that’s beside the point.

Open wheel race cars, from Kart’s to F1, are all amazing and IRL are no different. They might not be quite as quick as F1 but they’re still fast as **** and aren’t lumbering dinosaurs. My personal experience of single seaters is only a track day at Donington in a Formula Ford but that was without doubt the best driving experience of my life (for the record it wasn’t a race but I did win!).

The point I’m trying to make is that I’m really looking forward to IRL, F1 and any other open wheel race cars in GT5 and they are bound to make for some exciting and challenging racing.
 
Sorry but no. GT is about production cars and thats how it should stay.
Crap, I've been playing the game wrong for ten years now.

I'm wondering if Danica's car will inherently be slower than the leaders causing users of that car to never be able to get a win ;) It would add more authenticity I'd think :p
They can win, but only at Twin Ring Motegi.
 
Nice collection ANFD. Andretti racing was pretty good for its time.

I wish I never missed out on this one though, seeing that it was made by Papyrus it had to be good.

icr2_front.jpg


But I did buy this one. Got to race asmy racing hero Michael Andretti. My favorite Indycar game of all time. Even had a mode where you could race the entire season 2 player, which I did with my brother. Awesome game with awesome commentary.

TN_Newman_Haas_Racing_ntsc-front.JPG


I also bought this. It was good but the AI was too quick at times.

simg_t_og05270xhodf.jpg


I dont have either game anymore as I dont do a good job of collecting.

EDIT: I've always said if I had the money/knowledge etc to make any game I wanted to, I would make an Indycar game.

Were these North American released games ? I'm kicking myself now since I don't recall seeing these games anywhere 💡 I'm sure they would have been in my collection if I had. My first racing game was the Papyrus Nascar PC game and it was awesome so I'm sure the one you show was also :)

So Michael was your racing hero eh ?

picture.php


I met Michael and had dinner with him in the AGR hospitality tent (me on the left). He is actually one of the nicest people you would meet in the paddock. He and his dad signed about half dozen die casts for me :)

Sorry for straying off topic here ... got carried away :dopey:
 
Sorry but no. GT is about production cars and thats how it should stay. Buy a F1 or indy game if thats what floats your boat.

Hehe, you are so wrong m8:sly:
 
ANFD
Were these North American released games ? I'm kicking myself now since I don't recall seeing these games anywhere 💡 I'm sure they would have been in my collection if I had. My first racing game was the Papyrus Nascar PC game and it was awesome so I'm sure the one you show was also :)

Yeah I found them at Target I believe way back when. CART world series was released in 1997 Newman-Haas racing (Psygnosis) in 1998. If you ever raced Formula 1 Championship Edition (1997)(Psygnosis) for the PS1 then you know what Newman Haas was like. Both are outdated now but were great for their time.

ANFD
So Michael was your racing hero eh ?

picture.php


I met Michael and had dinner with him in the AGR hospitality tent (me on the left). He is actually one of the nicest people you would meet in the paddock. He and his dad signed about half dozen die casts for me :)

Sorry for straying off topic here ... got carried away :dopey:

That's great, and good to hear he's a nice guy. Im going to have to go meet him at a race eventually.
 
One additional note relating to Earth's comments .....

The CART cars competed at the Montreal Gilles Villeneuve circuit which is the same course as the F1 cars run on. The CART cars were only 2 seconds per lap slower than the F1 cars and most attributed it simply to the additional weight that the cars carried ..... power was comparable with the turbo chargered 2.6 liter motors that CART ran. They certainly were faster than the current IRL cars.

Not sure about those stats.

In 2002 the F1 pole time there was: 1:12.836
The Champ Car pole was: 1:18.959

In 2006 it was F1: 1:14.942
and Champ Car: 1:20.005

So really, at that circuit, it's 5 or 6 seconds difference.
 
Back