Indycars (IRL) in GT5 Discussion

  • Thread starter Thread starter Earth
  • 58 comments
  • 12,786 views

Do you want to see Indycars from the 90s and 80s in GT5?

  • Yes

    Votes: 55 65.5%
  • No

    Votes: 29 34.5%

  • Total voters
    84
Not sure about those stats.

In 2002 the F1 pole time there was: 1:12.836
The Champ Car pole was: 1:18.959

In 2006 it was F1: 1:14.942
and Champ Car: 1:20.005

So really, at that circuit, it's 5 or 6 seconds difference.

Champ Car is NOT Cart or IRL.
 
I love IRL, though I'd prefer the Series to get back to 90% ovals again. I watched online the whole 2009 Indy 500 from Danica's cockpit, I could listen to her and the spotter too, very interesting. :)
 
If you ever raced Formula 1 Championship Edition (1997)(Psygnosis) for the PS1 then you know what Newman Haas was like. Both are outdated now but were great for their time. QUOTE]

Funny thing .... old guy has brain fart :)

I do still have "CART World Series" in the collection, just forgot about about it somehow :dopey:

As for the PS1 version of F1 CE ... still have it, along with the rest :)


picture.php


picture.php


picture.php


picture.php


picture.php
 
Not sure about those stats.

In 2002 the F1 pole time there was: 1:12.836
The Champ Car pole was: 1:18.959

In 2006 it was F1: 1:14.942
and Champ Car: 1:20.005

So really, at that circuit, it's 5 or 6 seconds difference.

I know my memory fails me from time to time :) I still vaguely remember during the race, Derek Daly commenting on the 2 second difference in lap times (when's the last time DD did commentary in US ?). Is it possible that race lap times may have been different (relatively). I don't doubt your stats as I'm sure you researched them correctly :)
 
The more racing the better!

Is fun to race both open wheel and sportscars tuned or not!

BUt not more ovals please, I prefer road/street circuits over ovals!
 
I know my memory fails me from time to time :) I still vaguely remember during the race, Derek Daly commenting on the 2 second difference in lap times (when's the last time DD did commentary in US ?). Is it possible that race lap times may have been different (relatively). I don't doubt your stats as I'm sure you researched them correctly :)

Well, as correctly as consulting Wikipedia can be ;)

The site only mentions those two years, and it doesn't note whether the weather and temperatures were similar either, which can make a lot of difference. I'd have thought that the difference in quali times and race times would give a similar gap in times too.

Being a Brit, i've never had the pleasure of listening to DD's commentry, so can't vouch for his accuracy. :lol:
 

OMG!! When i bought my first PS , it came with a demo disc with this game. Damn, i´ve played it thousand billion times ... i was just AMAZED with the damage system ( when you crash and the tyres get dettached from the car flying around.. kkk ). Then , later i bought the game... and it was as great as the demo. I remember, theres a "moon like" track... that could be ativated with cheat codes....

Good times.... ahhaha..
 
Well, as correctly as consulting Wikipedia can be ;)

The site only mentions those two years, and it doesn't note whether the weather and temperatures were similar either, which can make a lot of difference. I'd have thought that the difference in quali times and race times would give a similar gap in times too.

Being a Brit, i've never had the pleasure of listening to DD's commentry, so can't vouch for his accuracy. :lol:

More than likely brain fade on my part :scared:
 
To the Poll:
Why not, the more cars the better :)

To Original Poster:
I think 2010 F1 cars wouldn't be that far ahead of 2010 Indy cars, less than 10 seconds i would've thought. The 08 season cars were the fastest before they introduced the new aerodynamic restrictions. Cars are running 3-4 seconds a lap slower than they were then.

But nevertheless, more racing cars in GT is good. I like how they've embraced American racing events into the series, because they have unofficially supported Touring cars (DTM, WTCC etc.), GT racing, F1, WRC for years now. Living in the UK, we don't really see NASCAR or Indy games over here because they don't sell well. Infact i only recall seeing Madden in shops out of any American sports, they're just not well recieved over here. And GT is bringing them both to the UK. I hope they get Drag Racing too so i can learn what all the fuss is about :)
 
anfd
funny thing .... Old guy has brain fart :)

i do still have "cart world series" in the collection, just forgot about about it somehow :dopey:

As for the ps1 version of f1 ce ... Still have it, along with the rest :)


picture.php


picture.php

I had those two. '98 was a dissappointment so it was my last F1 game until

142682_pc.jpg


That was a great F1 game. It had amazing AI that battled each other like the real thing even crashing if they took it too far, realistic replays, online modes (56k at that time so it was a pian) advanced setup options, just the whole Grand Prix experienced recreated. Perhaps the best ever F1 game (outside of Geoff Cramond's GP series which I have not played). Its a shame I didnt take care of all these games like you did, I know I could still enjoy them even today.

Viktor Navorsky
OMG!! When i bought my first PS , it came with a demo disc with this game. Damn, i´ve played it thousand billion times ... i was just AMAZED with the damage system ( when you crash and the tyres get dettached from the car flying around.. kkk ). Then , later i bought the game... and it was as great as the demo. I remember, theres a "moon like" track... that could be ativated with cheat codes....

Good times.... ahhaha..

The damage system was extremely advanced for its time. If I remember correctly if you hit the loose tires you damaged your own car. Very advanced for being on the very humble PS1 hardware. The arcade racer CART Fury had a similar damage system.

I dont recommend CART Fury but here is the cover. Good times indeed

g10087sfc6f.jpg


On the differences between Indycars and F1,

"In the last few months I've done over 5,000 miles of testing with Williams and I've learned a lot about the differences between Formula One and Indycars. An F1 car is slower on the straights but much quicker in the corners.

The engine has less horsepower but the power comes on quicker and because a Formula One car is lighter and more responsive it reacts faster to the driver's input and the braking is much better.

Because of its extra weight an IndyCar is a bit more physical to drive, it slides more easily and it's harder work to hold it. A Formula One car is more twitchy and when it slides you have to react faster to catch it. It has higher limits but I find this really enjoyable."

- Jacques Villeneuve 3/4/96

So F1 is much faster in the turns and in braking, Indycars are much faster in a straight line once they get wound up.

A couple of years ago Honda took their Formula 1 car out to the Bonneville salt flats, removed the rear wing and flattened the aero completely out. Even then the car only attained a top speed of 247mph.

The Indycar qualifying record is an average speed of 241 mph. I've heard the commentators say several times they had to tune the gearbox for 250mph in the draft. Not to mention Indycars dont even have to use all 6 gears on the big ovals, 5th gear is the go gear 6th is the cruise gear or the gear you use in a big draft.

 
On the differences between Indycars and F1,

"In the last few months I've done over 5,000 miles of testing with Williams and I've learned a lot about the differences between Formula One and Indycars. An F1 car is slower on the straights but much quicker in the corners.

The engine has less horsepower but the power comes on quicker and because a Formula One car is lighter and more responsive it reacts faster to the driver's input and the braking is much better.

Because of its extra weight an IndyCar is a bit more physical to drive, it slides more easily and it's harder work to hold it. A Formula One car is more twitchy and when it slides you have to react faster to catch it. It has higher limits but I find this really enjoyable."

- Jacques Villeneuve 3/4/96

So F1 is much faster in the turns and in braking, Indycars are much faster in a straight line once they get wound up.

A couple of years ago Honda took their Formula 1 car out to the Bonneville salt flats, removed the rear wing and flattened the aero completely out. Even then the car only attained a top speed of 247mph.

The Indycar qualifying record is an average speed of 241 mph. I've heard the commentators say several times they had to tune the gearbox for 250mph in the draft. Not to mention Indycars dont even have to use all 6 gears on the big ovals, 5th gear is the go gear 6th is the cruise gear or the gear you use in a big draft.

QUOTE]

Very insightful post my friend .... Kudos 👍👍

Oh yeah, nice to hear my good buddy Parker Johnstone doing commentary in the video :)
 
Last edited:
The poll is a bit misleading ..... Indy cars weren't called Indy cars until the IRL was formed in 1996. If the question is ... do we want CART cars as well as Indy cars, it can't be a yes or no answer. I would like to see the most current series and tracks replicated but not necessarily the older generation cars :)
Actually, CART's series was called the CART IndyCar World Series before the split.
PPG_Indy_Car_World_Series_logo.png

So the cars were called IndyCars and all CART/IRL cars should be called IndyCars now after reunification.

As for the IndyCars I'd like to race in GT5...

Chevrolet
1993 Lola-Chevrolet IndyCar (CART)
1993 Penske-Chevrolet IndyCar (CART)
2005 Dallara-Chevrolet IndyCar (IRL)
2005 Panoz-Chevrolet IndyCar (IRL)

Cosworth
2008 Panoz-Cosworth IndyCar (Champ Car)

Ford
1995 Lola-Ford IndyCar (CART)
1995 Reynard-Ford IndyCar (CART)
2000 Swift-Ford IndyCar (CART)
2004 Reynard-Ford IndyCar (Champ Car)
2006 Lola-Ford IndyCar (Champ Car)

Honda
1995 Reynard-Honda IndyCar (CART)
2002 Lola-Honda IndyCar (CART)
2002 Reynard-Honda IndyCar (CART)
2008 Panoz-Honda IndyCar (IRL)
2010 Dallara-Honda IndyCar (IRL)

Mercedes-Benz
1995 Lola-Mercedes IndyCar (CART)
1995 Penske-Mercedes IndyCar (CART)
1995 Reynard-Mercedes IndyCar (CART)
1999 Penske-Mercedes IndyCar (CART)
2000 Reynard-Mercedes IndyCar (CART)

Toyota
1999 Eagle-Toyota IndyCar (CART)
2002 Lola-Toyota IndyCar (CART)
2002 Reynard-Toyota IndyCar (CART)
2005 Dallara-Toyota IndyCar (IRL)
2005 Panoz-Toyota IndyCar (IRL)

Some pictures...

indycar-2009-hom-lb-0031.jpg

Dario Franchitti's 2009 Dallara-Honda IndyCar at Homestead-Miami Speedway.

indycar-2008-ind-as-0455.jpg

Phil Giebler's 2008 Panoz-Honda IndyCar at Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

indycar-2008-lb-jd-0182.jpg

Paul Tracy's 2008 Panoz-Cosworth IndyCar at Long Beach.

champcar-2006-mtl-eg-1002.jpg

A.J. Allmendinger's 2006 Lola-Ford IndyCar at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve.

cart-2002-fon-em-0223.jpg

Paul Tracy's 2002 Lola-Honda IndyCar at California Speedway. KOOL had a very KOOL paint scheme in their last year in IndyCar racing. :D

cart-2002-sur-tm-0401.jpg

Dario Franchitti's 2002 Lola-Honda IndyCar at Surfers Paradise. The other KOOL IndyCar. And the front nose is green because they had to change the blue nose after a crash. It's still a very KOOL shot in the rain! :D

cart-2002-lb-dj-0421.jpg

Michael Andretti's 2002 Reynard-Honda IndyCar at Long Beach.

cart-2001-fon-em-0302.jpg

Gil de Ferran's 2001 Reynard-Honda IndyCar at California Speedway. World speed record for the fastest lap on a closed course, with a lap of 241.426 MPH (388.537 km/h).

cart-2001-ls-jf-0406.jpg

Bruno Junqueira's 2001 Lola-Toyota IndyCar at Laguna Seca Raceway. The awesome old Target lightning bolt paint scheme.

Of course, the more IndyCars PD puts in GT5, the better!
 
Last edited:
Two of the most Iconic Indycars ever,

The 1994 Penske PC-23 that put a hurting on the field at Indy. The cars were mediocre at best in the corners but the stock block Mercedes engine just massacred everyone on the straights. This car was extremely dominate that year and gave Penske several 1-2-3 finishes.

aujr-ind94.jpg


Michael Andretti's Ford powered Indycar.'97-'99

3013698078_b7c4ed983d.jpg
 
To VNAF ACE ......

Another great posting :) Now that's what I call comprehensive ... really great pictures as well. In fact, the picture you supplied of Michael Andretti's 2002 Reynard Honda is the same car that Michael signed for me (die-cast).

The list you provided (and pictures) just makes me want them in GT5 all the more. Who wouldn't want to race those beauties :)
 
Hmmm,Well it seems with the US based fans hereon Gt Planet, that Indy cars are a highly desirable item and thats all good.

Sure GT may have had open wheel and Le Mans cars previously in one sort or another and as it has been pointed out to me that Kaz likes to have all types of racing included in his game and thats fine too.

But if the car list`s of GT1-GT5P seem to serve as proof that GT is more street/ production car based than anything else,now thats a fact not a opinion!
 
Last edited:
Considering there are more street cars than race cars I fail to see your point. Although more of both is always a good thing.
 
But if the car list`s of GT1-GT5P seem to serve as proof that GT is more street/ production car based than anything else,now thats a fact not a opinion!

Without actually looking into the stats, i think it's also fair to say that with each new version of Gran Turismo, the ratio of competition cars increases.
 
I like street legal stock cars.
What NASCAR used to be.
So I voted no, because one type of open-wheeler is enough for me.
 
I voted no. F1 cars were interesting but 1 was enough for me just for the novelty factor.

IRL cars are different from F1's how? Couple of mph faster, less downforce. Doubt if I'll be driving them enough to even notice the difference but, if they're going to be in the game have old ones if you like makes no diff to me, they'll get ignored along with the new ones.
 
I voted no. F1 cars were interesting but 1 was enough for me just for the novelty factor.

IRL cars are different from F1's how? Couple of mph faster, less downforce. Doubt if I'll be driving them enough to even notice the difference but, if they're going to be in the game have old ones if you like makes no diff to me, they'll get ignored along with the new ones.

Whilst you're at it, why not just have one 4WD turbocharged saloon car, say a 2nd Gen Imprezza Sti and just get rid of all the other Imprezzas, Mitsi Evos, Mazda 6 MPS, Audi S4s etc. Why bother with a Merc C63 AMG or a Lexus IS-F when you've got M3? The Mercury Cougar XR7 is a perfectly decent muscle car. Let's not include the Superbirds, Chevelle SS 454, Dodge Charger or Pontiac GTO's this time around - they're all pretty similar at the end of the day. :rolleyes:
 
Whilst you're at it, why not just have one 4WD turbocharged saloon car, say a 2nd Gen Imprezza Sti and just get rid of all the other Imprezzas, Mitsi Evos, Mazda 6 MPS, Audi S4s etc. Why bother with a Merc C63 AMG or a Lexus IS-F when you've got M3? The Mercury Cougar XR7 is a perfectly decent muscle car. Let's not include the Superbirds, Chevelle SS 454, Dodge Charger or Pontiac GTO's this time around - they're all pretty similar at the end of the day. :rolleyes:

👍 (See my previous post in this thread regarding single seaters)

GT's huge number and variety of cars is where I learnt about most cars and helped turn me into a car bore, long may it continue :sly:
 
Whilst you're at it, why not just have one 4WD turbocharged saloon car, say a 2nd Gen Imprezza Sti and just get rid of all the other Imprezzas, Mitsi Evos, Mazda 6 MPS, Audi S4s etc. Why bother with a Merc C63 AMG or a Lexus IS-F when you've got M3? The Mercury Cougar XR7 is a perfectly decent muscle car. Let's not include the Superbirds, Chevelle SS 454, Dodge Charger or Pontiac GTO's this time around - they're all pretty similar at the end of the day. :rolleyes:

You're 10010% correct - they are pretty similar. In that they're all GT kinda cars. And every one has its own personality and feel. F1/IRL cars on the other hand feel nothing like them. (I'm guessing about IRL, having never tried one) The F1's are not about handling for me - they're stuck to the goddamn tack for one thing. It's all about neurotically precise timing which I don't enjoy so I never drive them.

Same with rally racing, again something I wouldn't class as GT. It really bugged me when they made rally stages essential to completing the game way back. Rally driving isn't why I bought the damn thing and I dutifully completed those stages, once each just to get the cups then sold my Subaru and never looked back.

Now I'm being threatened with IRL, Nascar, WRC and all sorts and hoping to hell they keep the single player involvement down to a minimum. I don't object to them putting these cars in the game. I tried the Ferrarri F1 in prologue just for the hell of it and I'll prolly try a nascar and maybe IRL car on the full game but they have no more than a passing interest for me.

I like the GT series for the GT cars, as many as they can squeeze on the disk, I'll drive them all - go figure :crazy:
 
Ah, the diversity of opinion :)

For me personally, I am bored to death with stock street cars ! I can drive real ones any time I want. Driving race cars is where it's at as far as I'm concerned. I like to race real racing cars and apply "race craft" with regards to strategy which includes pit stops.

I have 550 cars in my GT4 garage. Every now and then I take the Honda Odyssey for a spin around the Ring :) Other than that I drive the racing cars exclusively. I like the higher cornering speeds and engine sounds.

It's also the track and car variety that gives the game it's awesome lifespan.

To each his own eh ?
 
Not much of a solution though for reason I'm putting in the other thread.
 
You're 10010% correct - they are pretty similar. In that they're all GT kinda cars. And every one has its own personality and feel. F1/IRL cars on the other hand feel nothing like them. (I'm guessing about IRL, having never tried one) The F1's are not about handling for me - they're stuck to the goddamn tack for one thing. It's all about neurotically precise timing which I don't enjoy so I never drive them.

Same with rally racing, again something I wouldn't class as GT. It really bugged me when they made rally stages essential to completing the game way back. Rally driving isn't why I bought the damn thing and I dutifully completed those stages, once each just to get the cups then sold my Subaru and never looked back.

Now I'm being threatened with IRL, Nascar, WRC and all sorts and hoping to hell they keep the single player involvement down to a minimum. I don't object to them putting these cars in the game. I tried the Ferrarri F1 in prologue just for the hell of it and I'll prolly try a nascar and maybe IRL car on the full game but they have no more than a passing interest for me.

I like the GT series for the GT cars, as many as they can squeeze on the disk, I'll drive them all - go figure :crazy:


A brother from another mother?? 👍 My feelings on the subject excatly. :)

The single seaters/open wheelers are fun to have a blast with but thats it really. PD do represent them well though and it would be good to see PD do a dedicated game for each F1/IRL.
I think the US folks here at GTP are hanging out for a PS3 IRL game and why not. Id buy and play it if if was in a dedicated game, PD do good work.

Now where are my keys to the Chevvelle SS454 or no wait i might take the M3 out,actually i feel like listening to the sound of VTEC at 8000rpm on a cloudy sat morning,where did i put those damn keys again :drool:
 
If you ever raced Formula 1 Championship Edition (1997)(Psygnosis) for the PS1 then you know what Newman Haas was like. Both are outdated now but were great for their time. QUOTE]

Funny thing .... old guy has brain fart :)

I do still have "CART World Series" in the collection, just forgot about about it somehow :dopey:

As for the PS1 version of F1 CE ... still have it, along with the rest :)

picture.php


picture.php


Are they two different games or are they just alternative covers for this game (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formula_1_(video_game) also where's Formula One 97 that was the best one!
 
Back