Infiniti General Discussion- 2017 Q60 Coupe Arrival

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 159 comments
This is quite possibly the dumbest thing that I've heard of anyone doing in the automotive industry this year. We're talking about an automotive brand that is otherwise as old as Lexus, has never been as popular, and has only recently become a household name with the G-series cars wants to throw everything away... All for some kind of tie-in to the historical Q-series nomenclature that has been defunct for the better part of a decade.

In what way does making the M-series the Q70 make any sense whatsoever? Furthermore, separating the G Coupe/Convertible as a Q60 and the Sedan as a Q50? Absolute nonsense.

There is nothing redeeming about this. This is actually worse than Ford getting rid of the 'Taurus' name in favor of Fivehundred. That is the proverbial gunshot in the foot, here.

You know, I've got to hand it to the American car companies. They've stuck with using actual names on their cars and they've done a pretty good job of coming up with new ones when necessary. This is just crazy.

I'm qonfused. Why not keep the established letters? What's wrong with that? at least the current naming system tells you what kind of engine it has.

Because the current naming scheme wasn't confusing enough. I give it two years.

But this fits in perfectly with their named-by-their-accountants IPL performance division.

This would make perfect sense if just one car got the Q name and one SUV got the QX branding and the numbers were just varying trim levels. What they actually are doing is just plain stupid.

You know, I've got to hand it to the American car companies. They've stuck with using actual names on their cars and they've done a pretty good job of coming up with new ones when necessary. This is just crazy.

Other than Lincoln you mean, granted this makes their horrible naming seem crystal clear.

Infiniti, it's not April 1st today.

This makes no sense at all, if they want to call all their cars will Q at least leave something more then just a number for different models.
They should just add the Q letter to the beginning of the current letter name. The G will be the QG

Last edited:
I say this is a brilliant move by Infiniti. As long as you have absolutely no follow-up questions, yes.

So Infiniti is speaking some bastardized version of Volvonese? Gotcha.

Keep thinking they absolutely must be kidding, and are just four months early. The G has quite a reputation, and so does the FX. This is worse than Mercury's and Hyundai's (European) naming conventions combined.

q-infiniti-q.jpg

Honestly, this is the type of thing that I would say "you guys really need to take publications with a grain of salt" to. But yeah, this looks official. Say goodbye to Infiniti relevancy. What a stupid thing to do.

Looks like they are adopting a Audi/Hyundai/Volvo type system, but slightly worse. At least Audi had the decency not to ad an A to their SUVs.

The only number/letter schemes I like are the pure number ones, such as the ones Peugeot and Porsche use and the one Alfa used before they switched back to names. I guess I can tolerate the Lexus/Merc scheme but the rest are all terrible.

Why the letter "Q"?

Q is a crappy letter. There's nothing sexy, elegant, or cool about Q at all. Q is the kid who keeps mumbling to himself.

Zenith013
Why the letter "Q"?

Q is a crappy letter. There's nothing sexy, elegant, or cool about Q at all. Q is the kid who keeps mumbling to himself.

Q supplied Bond with awesome stuff. Q-ships are quiet, unassuming, but deliver the goods swiftly. After that, I'm out of ideas why they think this would be a good marketing move in any way; perhaps it harkens back to when the Q45 was a great car - with vanishing sales in the past ten years - while the G-series has been both a performance and sales success story during that same time frame.

This is quite possibly the dumbest thing that I've heard of anyone doing in the automotive industry this year. We're talking about an automotive brand that is otherwise as old as Lexus, has never been as popular, and has only recently become a household name with the G-series cars wants to throw everything away... All for some kind of tie-in to the historical Q-series nomenclature that has been defunct for the better part of a decade.

In what way does making the M-series the Q70 make any sense whatsoever? Furthermore, separating the G Coupe/Convertible as a Q60 and the Sedan as a Q50? Absolute nonsense.

There is nothing redeeming about this. This is actually worse than Ford getting rid of the 'Taurus' name in favor of Fivehundred. That is the proverbial gunshot in the foot, here.

Um no.
Most of us grown folks remember Infiniti from before the g35 and Im surprised you would act like this is really that big a deal.

This naming concept worked great for Pontiac, so I don't see...oh, wait a minute.

Meh. It's a bit confusing but Infiniti is a bit of an irrelevance anyway. Once Lexus brings out the IS Coupe then that would take away my final reason for wanting an Infiniti, which is the G Coupe.

Um no.
Most of us grown folks remember Infiniti from before the g35 and Im surprised you would act like this is really that big a deal.

It's not a big deal, no. People will just go back to not caring about Infiniti at all once the confusion starts.

As much of a cult classic as the G20 was, Infiniti was pretty irrelevant compared to Lexus before the G35 came out; and even back then they still used the same naming scheme they do currently as opposed to this new one.

Last edited:
Infiniti needs to ditch the bulbous look they got for their cars (QX45:ill:) and go more angular like Nissan has been doing.

Lexus only now just started to nail the sporty look that the Germans have been known for.

As for naming...Well people will at least know it's an Infiniti once they see the badge.

This is a really stupid idea. Who do they think they are, Acura? Way to make themselves completely irrelevant. It's still not as bad as BMW's 4-series coupe though.

What's in a name? Quite a fair bit, evidently. Not sure I agree with the new nomenclature, but it makes absolutely no sense to just suddenly take the same car and change it from one name one year to something completely new the next. Maybe if Infiniti phased it in over a 5-7 year period as their existing lineup gets replaced by new models it would make at least a little sense.

Methinks they will soon learn the intangible values of consumer recognition with regards to names.

Um no.

Remember what about Infiniti beforehand? I can't think of many vehicles that they produced that were anywhere near redeeming, much less relevant, until the previous generation G-series and M-series models. Considering all of the press, accolades, and attention from people who know near-nothing about cars... This entire plan smacks of idiocy.

Sure, Infiniti is a "new thing" in Europe and Japan, and they can afford to lose a bit of recognition simply because they don't have any. But here in North America? I just can't wrap my head around it.

It's been seven years since we've had a Q-branded car from Infinity. With the trucks, at the very least, there is some consistency. But even then, throwing out the FX badge makes little sense. I just don't get it.

Methinks they will soon learn the intangible values of consumer recognition with regards to names.
And methinks that the average consumer never paid that much attention to automotive alpha-numeric naming conventions in the first place. Since we're all car enthusiasts here, we are hyper-sensitive to things like this. The average person doesn't know the difference--or care.

Hey, remember when all Infinitis were "Q"

Like the Q45, the J30... the G20... and... and...

Damn. Okay, scratch that.

So, Infiniti drops nameplates for cars that sell pretty well, to rename them following a brand-new, made-up naming convention that pays homage to the models that don't sell well?

How very Nissan of them.

Just wait till they drop the Infiniti badge altogether, rename all the cars Nissans, and Nissan's current line-up gets the Datsun badge... then after another decade, they drop the Datsun badge altogether. Again. Because this move just isn't confusing enough.

Back