Ingrown Toenails....

• Thread starter Naoki
  • 38 comments
Ok, guys ive got a little trick i do when i get an ingrown toenail. It works for me, but i havent had it as bad as the pic Street Fighter posted. What i do is get the nail file, and make a line down the centre flat. Sorta file away the middle bit. It works for me!

Originally posted by Street Fighter
Top.
Apparently one of the nerves wasn't dead, and the small amount of anasthetic that he used wasn't enough to supress the "white pain" I felt when he drilled through the tooth and into the nerve.
You know the kind of pain where your eyes squeeze shut and all you see/hear is the color white?
That kind of pain.
Sort of like when you see stars, but instead of seeing them, you are on the surface of one.
4 million degrees of "ARGH!".

:eek: Ouch! I didn't have that pain when I had mine done. They had me on so much N2O that I didn't really know what was going on. I could hear everything they were doing, but didn't really have a clue on what was going on. I just remember when I was having mine done, they had more than one doctor look at the tooth they were doing the root canal on. My tooth had basically exploded with the plague stuff or whatever attacks the nerve. I thought I was going to be taken to a lab and become a science experiment or something.

I had to get KO'd for my first dental surgery, which was probably the worst.
They didn't tell me what they had to do, nor did I want to know.
I had a tooth coming in behind my front teeth so we went to the dentist.
A week or so later I went back and he stuck a needle in my arm.
The second the needle poked through I passed out.
I don't remember hearing or feeling anything.
But... about 2 hours after I woke up, it was horrible, even with the T3's they gave me.

They had to do the four fillings in one go, then cut open the roof of my mouth to extract the two extra EYE TEETH, which are almost an inch long. One of the fillings was done too deep and damaged the head of the nerve, so I couldn't chew on my right side for months. I didn't understand why until almost 3 years later.
I wanted to file a lawsuit when I heard the words "root canal", but then they contradicted my grandparents and said it doesn't hurt... unless they make a mistake and assume that all the nerves are rotted away...

With a large finger nail file, file down the top surface of the nail, from the tip, back to the cuticle, where it makes the sharp bend down into the flesh - the 'spine' I call it. File it down until the curvature of the nail seems uniform from side to side. This takes a fair amount of time and elbow grease. This will make the nail much more flexible and not so prone to be driven into the flesh by the pressure of standing, walking, etc.

I had ingrowns on both big toes for 18 months. 36 hours after doing this, all discomfort was gone, and six months later, they're just fine and I've not had to file them down since.

I had an ingrown toenail removed by a professional once, she did it without any anaesthetic and I almost passed out due to the pain, she said she would have normally numbed it for the procedure she carried out!

Anyway it came back after a few weeks, so she did it again (but for free this time) and removed a little more. It was OK for a few months but then it grew back down into the skin again a few months later. I was so fed up at this point that I went out and got steaming drunk one night, then came back and removed half my toenail myself using nail clippers and scissors. :lol:

I then applied some antiseptic cream and bandaged it up, then re-applied the dressing every day. It's been fine ever since!

My left big toe had an ingrown nail, at first down one side but spread to both sides, it was a mess :crazy:
After about 2 years (:ill:) of it, I had minor surgery and they removed nail from both sides including the root apparently, as the nail has never grown back and so I've just got the middle of the nail :lol:

I had them in both toenails on both sides about 3 years ago, both were quite infected. Went to a podiatrist, and it took about 3 procedures to get everything done correctly, my doc went as far as to burn the sides of the nail to prevent it from happening again.

Back