Innovations to Cars to Help the Environment

  • Thread starter Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 16 comments
  • 684 views

JohnBM01

21 years!
In Memoriam
Messages
26,911
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
Messages
JMarine25
GTP, here's a short intro for you.

Let's talk about some of the innovations for cars in order to care for the environment, cut down emissions, and thereforth.
 
I dont think Im one to talk in this thread. All of the DSM's in my family do not run any catylitic converters, vent external wastegates and have all the emissions capped off in the engine bay.
 
INTERNAL
Car companies should try and make cars with smaller engines(Like a Smart) this would help by increasing the average MPG of a car and the car owner will now have to make less filling station trips. The environment will hence breathe in less EmissionsBut i dont think this is likely, we love our big engines and i certainly wont give it up for a smart!!!

Otherwise TS1ASD has put down other useful techniques.

EXTERNAL
Try and get governments throughout the world to promote the use of (Super)unleaded or diesel. You will be surprised at the amount of countrys in the third world that still rely heavily on Leaded Petroleum. - Possible

There are also quite a lot of old cars still running around that have unfriendly engine systems. Try and get rid of these and the environment would be done a great favour. highly unlikely
 
Screw the environment, I'll drive my SUV and burn my fossil fuels, until we run out. Then I'm screwed.

But until they make a good looking hydrogen car I'll refuse to drive Eco-Friendly. I'm no tree hugger.
 
I doubt smaller engines would do the trick - as everybody knows small engines are weaker than their larger brethren. A weak engines doesn't produce much torque and as such must have lower gear-ratios and spiky torque-curves at low revs - the Ford KA is a good example: it produces maximum torque at 2500rpm. However, a car with a larger engine, say a Volvo S60 2.4, will have more power. Because of the extra power, the gearing can be taller, and peak torque can be produced at higher revs, without ending up with a curve resembling a mountain.

The larger engine will also be less stressed than the smaller one. What many people seem to miss - especially politicians - is that stress results in polution. I have no idea what the avg. polution ratio is here in Europe, but I do know that the Suzuki Baleno 1.3 polutes 45% above average, and the Volvo mentioned above 25% below (numbers are rough, don't remember exact values). For those who like to talk about pollution from cars, why not argue those numbers instead?

I don't believe in electrical vehicles either - because if the car gets its power from a nuclear power plant, the car is essentially nuclear powered (now there's a thought!).

Hybrid cars are a good start - but diesel cars with particle-emission filters pollute less and more fun, plus you get the same mileage and diesel costs less. Personally I believe in hydrogen-powered cars. Seeing as how BMW and Mazda have converted conventional engines to run on hydrogen. Even though lubrication is necessary, it's a step in the right direction. Plus they can get three times as far on a full tank compared to a conventional car.

There's only one backdrop I can think of hydrogen though (any type): what happens with the water during the winter?
 
Make them more aerodynamic, use smart transmision like CVT, lower resistance tyre and hybrid tech.

All this are available now. Hydrogen, fuel cells have to wait, cause the infrastructure doesn't support it yet.
 
I personally don't think hydrogen is the way to go, As Freddie said, diesel hybrids would be a great choice, or we can further develop the hybrid technology so one day most new cars will use it. And, smaller engines don't neccesarily mean they have better mileage, I saw the new aveo and the new malibu at the auto show awhile back, and the aveo had 2 better city mpg, but highway was the same. the aveo has a 1.3 liter four, and the malibu a 3.5 v6(or does it use the 3800?)
 
The breakdown of greenhouse gases is roughly as follows

5% humans (0.5% cars)
15% Volcanoes

and, wait for it

80% cows "venting"
 
Originally posted by BlazinXtreme
Screw the environment, I'll drive my SUV and burn my fossil fuels, until we run out. Then I'm screwed.

But until they make a good looking hydrogen car I'll refuse to drive Eco-Friendly. I'm no tree hugger.

I'm with this guy. I hate hippies.

Edit: and think about it, smaller engines = slower = more time spent on the road = more environment destruction

:D

Theres a flaw in that, see if you can find it.
 
Actually, smaller engines do have on average, a higher MPG than their bigger engine counterparts. But persuading people to drive smaller vehicles is the main problem. i can hardly see someone giving up their CL65AMG for a Maestro. But then again i heard of a new Honda, i forgot the model, but its fast and can do 113mpg, if anyone knows the model please tell us.
 
Just because the engine is bigger doesn't mean you're driving at a higher RPM. That was the answer I was looking for.
 
Originally posted by BMW X5 SPORTS
. But then again i heard of a new Honda, i forgot the model, but its fast and can do 113mpg, if anyone knows the model please tell us.

My next vehicle should be able to do 0-60 in under 6 seconds, and get over 70mpg on the freeway. It's called a motorcycle :D
 
Pollution isn't even a problem yet. And I don't see how it will be a big problem in the future.

I don't think we could eliminate greenhouse gases if we wanted to. We don't even emit enough as it is.
 
Originally posted by Klostrophobic
Pollution isn't even a problem yet. And I don't see how it will be a big problem in the future.
Well, ya know... you've never seen the amount of haze that collects in the urban areas of L.A. county, while I stare at it every single day (today was particularly bad – in fact, I honestly thought that there was a brushfire somewhere, and then I realized it was the haze). By stare at it, I mean that from my house (3000 feet above sea level), it literally looks like a light but dirty fog bank covering the valley.

Thing is, people always claim that it's getting worse, but it seems like it's getting better. One of my teachers last year said that when she was a kid, the covering of haze over L.A. was thick and looked like a big, dirty cloud, but she said that now it's definitely much lighter.

I don't think emissions/pollution is as big of a problem as some people make it out to be, but it's not unwise – and it doesn't hurt – to at least consider it.

[edit]: ^--- Well, sane people, that is. Greenies don't count.
 
Forget the gases, it would be nice to make cars more fuel efficient. That in itself would help reduce emissions.
 
I've read the above, and I see that Blazin and West Side dislike such cars. So Blazin, you said that "until they make a good hydrogen car..." what do you have in mind? What, a hydrogen-powered Trailblazer or something? I mean, what would interest you into getting something environmentally-friendly?
 
Back