Installing/Updating Rediculousness!

  • Thread starter Thread starter friedmud
  • 43 comments
  • 2,989 views
Messages
3
Messages
Friedmud1
So.... on my lunch break today I go pick up my copy of GT5P. I go crazy at work all afternoon waiting to get home to play...

Upon arriving at home I immediately set up my racing wheel and chair and everything (have a wife... so she makes me keep it all put away...). Then I slam the disk in my PS3 and click on GT5P on the menu... only to find out that I have to Install the game! Installing a console game! And it takes for freaking ever! Long enough that I go get some dinner.

I come back and it's all installed so I fire it up... only to find out that I need a PSN update! And it's a huge one too.... long enough that I go watch a recorded show with my wife...

Come back to find that the PS3 reset itself after it downloaded the update... but did _not_ actually install the update. So I tell it to install... which again takes forever. (Time to get a snack)

Come back and fire up the game... only to find out that there is an Update for the game! So I start that downloading.

Come back a little later.... "Download Failed"!!! Holy crap! Restart it...

And then just now while I am typing this... the download has failed again! I really hope the servers aren't overloaded causing it to fail.

Anyone else out there having the Installing/Updating blues this evening!?!??! I mean... I'm used to this crap on my computer... but I expect near instant gratification from a console.

Don't get me wrong... I love the PS3... and I love how you can get updates over the net (this system update was especially tasting... giving us DTS-HD-MA decoding _and_ a new PSN-Store). But... damn....

Friedmud
 
I feel your pain on that!

I fired up my Playstation this morning thinking I would start downloading Prologue from the store, but instead was met with the PSN update. I'm glad I got that out of the way- it was about half the battle.
 
When the GT5P update fails, it doesn't start from scratch each time, it remembers where it left off so just keep trying until it eventually completes. :)
 
A lot of people have been having problems with the update system. I was lucky, spec 2 update only failed on me once, and this most recent update took 10 minutes and was golden on the first attempt. Just try not to get frustrated and hope youve got something good and long saved on your tivo.
 
When the GT5P update fails, it doesn't start from scratch each time, it remembers where it left off so just keep trying until it eventually completes. :)

That is true..
But I did not experience that since it took me one time !
ITs good that Game loads into the HDD, since then All the Loading times decreasing with lightning speeds. So it saves up time for the future!
 
When the GT5P update fails, it doesn't start from scratch each time, it remembers where it left off so just keep trying until it eventually completes. :)

That may be so. But I ask....why the hell do you (yourself) have to reinitialise the download to start it again???!!?!?

I mean, the game knows the download has failed/disconnected (gives an error message) so why do I have to press X to confirm, and then X again to try restart the download? Why can't the game look after this issue by itself?

That said, I downloaded the latest update first try - no problems at all. :)
 
MGR
That may be so. But I ask....why the hell do you (yourself) have to reinitialise the download to start it again???!!?!?

I mean, the game knows the download has failed/disconnected (gives an error message) so why do I have to press X to confirm, and then X again to try restart the download? Why can't the game look after this issue by itself?

I know, I agree with you completely. I'm curious if it's failing because I don't have UPnP enabled on my router. I never intend to enable it because of the potential security risks, however I do have ports forwarded correctly to the PS3 and everything else I download on the PS3, be it system firmware updates or game demos work fine.
 
Yeah it be good that game Presses X for you and tries again where it left off LOL
 
Mine finished on the second try, first try was about ten minutes then on the second took about thirty seconds. Oh and i don't think it has anything to do with UPnP, mine isn't enabled.
 
If you don't want to wait then unplug your console's ethernet cord, and then you can bypass the updates.
 
Thanks for the "me too" posts... at least I wasn't the only one ;-)

My game update did finally go through... but I think it took something like 4 tries.

No worries though... the game is awesome... so it was worth all the trouble.

Friedmud

EDIT: I really did want to update everything so I could check out online play.... so it was worth the frustration.
 
no problem here at all. came back from the store- popped the disc in- install, take the dog out for a walk; came back, press ok for update. read the booklet while downloading update, had lunch, and by then, i'm ready to race.
 
is that a word?! haha just messin with ya, mine updated right away, i have the US version if that changes anything.
 
no problem here at all. came back from the store- popped the disc in- install, take the dog out for a walk; came back, press ok for update. read the booklet while downloading update, had lunch, and by then, i'm ready to race.

same here pretty much.
 
Mine failed on the first 2 attempts and the third time was the charm. Went through in under 5 mins. Annoying that it fails though.
 
Well now I know I have to forget about the game while it installs itself. It's a good thing real cars arent like this, or I would never get to work on time. lolz.

So video games are becoming so much like real life that you have to be extra patient for them too. Sign here, sign there, do this, do that, now you can drive.
 
Everyone get the update problem.

Keep trying.

Why dont they just release PC downloadable updates? so you only have to install them (maybe from a memory stick etc.)
 
Mine went though fine the first time.
 
Mine went though fine the first time.

Same here. Put the game in, hit "ok" a couple times, went and ate supper, came back and it was good to go!
 
It was a fight for me.

Got it at midnight from the Playstation Store. Took 2 hours to download. Fell asleep.

Woke up at 7. Did all the yes work. And it took a few tries of "Download Failed" and such, but eventually, it all went through like the fourth time. And that time, it was like within minutes.

My advice to all: Just keep trying.
 
Well its only fair that you have all the same fun with the updates as we did in the EU lol
 
You slammed the disk into your PS3 LOL. Poor console.
 
Thanks for the "me too" posts... at least I wasn't the only one ;-)

My game update did finally go through... but I think it took something like 4 tries.

No worries though... the game is awesome... so it was worth all the trouble.

Friedmud

EDIT: I really did want to update everything so I could check out online play.... so it was worth the frustration.
Yeah it is frustrating, but once it's done it's done, until the next update anyway. But they don't come daily and at least next time you'll only get 1 update be it a game update or a system update so there will be less hassle.

I gave up updating mine for a few days but it was well worth it for the ability to switch off the ABS completely alone.
 
PD should take example from Konami and allow us to download the updates through P2P Bittorrent. I am currently downloading the MGO update through P2P Bittorrent in the game itself which will almost guarantee that the update will fully download. If PD done this it would help a lot.
 
Mine went through alrite the first time...no troubles
 
PD should take example from Konami and allow us to download the updates through P2P Bittorrent. I am currently downloading the MGO update through P2P Bittorrent in the game itself which will almost guarantee that the update will fully download. If PD done this it would help a lot.

The MGO update is even worse. It also crashes now an again, but you have to exit to the XMB and restart the game before you can try again. :yuck:
 
the ps3 network is a joke. they are going to have to do something or people are going to give up on play station
 
The update doesn't fail if you go into the game and update it. Atleast thats the only way its worked for me on the updates, on 2 ps3's.
 
the ps3 network is a joke. they are going to have to do something or people are going to give up on play station

Never had a problem, and connection was way easier than setting up a pc.

Don't forget that people more often than not voice an opinion when something goes wrong, but say nothing when it goes right.

It therefore stands to reason that for the majority there is no issue
 
Back