Intake Bypass; V2 installed

  • Thread starter Thread starter McLaren
  • 70 comments
  • 3,343 views
I can't say I didn't dig this hole myself...

Meh.

None of my vehicles are simple machines besides the Civic. They all also have warranties that are pretty straight forward on what you can & can't do. I can't afford to spend several hundreds upon hundreds of dollars trying to fix my BMW after losing the warranty.

Explain "simple machine". A CAI install on any of them will be about the same aside from how it's plumbed, and that's what this is/was all about...

In fact, the main difference between all of them is merely the amount of electronic crap packed in... Aaaand to some extent I could understand being worried about installing a new head unit or something to that effect on the TL or Fiver just because of what the stock stuff may be tied into. But a CAI... Where can you screw up? Drill one of the two holes needed way too large? Not tighten the hose clamps holding joints on it together?

And that is where I'm confused... If you actually try to get started (as in have the CAI and open the hood) and find that you do not understand at all how it would be done, sure, then I could possibly understand taking it to a shop to have it done, but simply "oh it's probably over my head" after looking at an (online I assume) installation manual and effectively assuming that you cannot do the install yourself... I don't get it.
 
Explain "simple machine". A CAI install on any of them will be about the same aside from how it's plumbed, and that's what this is/was all about...
I'm not talking about a CAI alone. You said "massive experience". Installing a CAI does not mean someone has massive experience working on cars.

I don't have "massive experience" working on my cars because 2 of them require a lot of tinkering with very vital parts. Having a warranty behind those parts makes it risky.
In fact, the main difference between all of them is merely the amount of electronic crap packed in...
My cars have a lot of that....
Aaaand to some extent I could understand being worried about installing a new head unit or something to that effect on the TL or Fiver just because of what the stock stuff may be tied into. But a CAI... Where can you screw up? Drill one of the two holes needed way too large? Not tighten the hose clamps holding joints on it together?
Try draining the right amount of coolant, and then drilling into body....There's 2 times as many parts being needed to remove as my 2 buddies with intakes, many requiring a lot of force in a very compact space.
And that is where I'm confused... If you actually try to get started (as in have the CAI and open the hood) and find that you do not understand at all how it would be done, sure, then I could possibly understand taking it to a shop to have it done, but simply "oh it's probably over my head" after looking at an (online I assume) installation manual and effectively assuming that you cannot do the install yourself... I don't get it.
My intake goes deep into my engine compartment. Only a little chunk of it is visible.
Engine-md.jpg


As you can obviously see, I do not have a lot of space to work with. It's exactly why I can not buy a V2 intake, either unless I make fitments.
 
Damn, whats with new cars and hiding crap in their engine bays? My mom's Aviator is just like that.
 
My bit about "massive experience" was pure sarcasm.

Now then... After quick research on the TL... I would have to say you do INDEED need a bypass if the CAI is anything like Injen's, and I do see how it could be somewhat nerve-racking...

That said I wonder how hard an SRI would be to engineer for that car... You'd still have to get rid of the resonator + tubing (the biggest pain I can see) but you wouldn't need a bypass at all and could probably get away with simply sizing a cone filter to replace the airbox...
 
Now then... After quick research on the TL... I would have to say you do INDEED need a bypass if the CAI is anything like Injen's, and I do see how it could be somewhat nerve-racking...
I don't know how Injen's is, but I am not certain yet that I do or don't need one. TL owners at Acurazine have basically said otherwise unless, again, I purposely drive into 2 or 3 foot puddles every day.

I think, in the end, I will need to have a long, in-person chit chat with Jotech about this.
 
Reventón;3257055
I don't know how Injen's is, but I am not certain yet that I do or don't need one. TL owners at Acurazine have basically said otherwise unless, again, I purposely drive into 2 or 3 foot puddles every day.

I think, in the end, I will need to have a long, in-person chit chat with Jotech about this.
Does injen really have bypasses? because I could probably upgrade my short ram for the CAI.
 
Does injen really have bypasses? because I could probably upgrade my short ram for the CAI.
I don't think Injen has bypasses. I'm merely commenting that I don't know how well Injen's CAI works next to AEM's.
 
I am telling you, the CAI on my wife's car inhaled enough water to lock the engine and bend at least 2 rods. It was installed approximately 5" higher than the original design and more than 12" off the ground. The puddle she drove into wasn't even deep enough to slop over the door sills when she got out. I personally would not install another CAI without a bypass, except for a track-only car.
 
As I said before, I would encourage you to do this yourself. The intake comes with installation instructions (Here's more for an older TL: http://www.motorator.com/videos/368). There are a ton of 16 year olds with all kinds of cars who have followed the same instructions without blowing anything up, IT'S NOT HARD. Maybe a 1989 Geo Whizzbang isn't as complicated or jam-packed as a new TL, but this is a very basic concept and install. **** like Variable Cylinder Management and torque steer reduction aren't going to affect the fact that the engine breathes air and likes more of it. Basic principles like that are the reason that the overly complex Nissan Playstation GTR already has turbo and supercharger upgrades.

As far as the warranty, doing it yourself isn't going to void the warranty. If the dealership wants to pull the "maybe extra air caused your taillight fuse to pop" card, it's going to be just as easy (or not) to shut them down whether you installed it or the dropout at the audio shop did. As long as you follow the directions, it's installed correctly. AEM (or Injen, whoever) includes the directions because they expect you to install it yourself, and as long as you say you followed them correctly (and it isn't obvious that you didn't), then you're fine. YOU AREN'T RISKING ANYTHING.

More importantly, you aren't risking any more than if a shop did it. If you took it to a shop, they would either
A) follow the same directions and be doing this particular install for the first time, just as you would, or
B) ignore the instructions and hack **** up finding their own way to fit it.
First of all, you're acting like an audio shop is a team of trained professionals. They aren't, they hire any kid who knows a thing or two and lets them learn along the way. You think they are more qualified to drill two holes than you are? You think they are going to take special care of your car because it means something to you?

I'm not telling you, "Man up and do it yourself or you're a poser," like a lot of people will. I'm telling you not to let yourself think you're any better off because you're paying more. This is a good opportunity to get slightly more familiar with your car and save money while you're at it because you really can't screw up a CAI install...
 
As far as the warranty, doing it yourself isn't going to void the warranty. If the dealership wants to pull the "maybe extra air caused your taillight fuse to pop" card, it's going to be just as easy (or not) to shut them down whether you installed it or the dropout at the audio shop did. As long as you follow the directions, it's installed correctly. AEM (or Injen, whoever) includes the directions because they expect you to install it yourself, and as long as you say you followed them correctly (and it isn't obvious that you didn't), then you're fine. YOU AREN'T RISKING ANYTHING.
My dealership will void the warranty if there is a screw up. And if there is, I'm out of luck, dealer & AEM wise as AEM states they will not cover the part if the part is not installed correctly. I will not risk losing both these warranties.
More importantly, you aren't risking any more than if a shop did it. If you took it to a shop, they would either
A) follow the same directions and be doing this particular install for the first time, just as you would, or
B) ignore the instructions and hack **** up finding their own way to fit it.
Due to the amount of history this shop has in racing & else where, I highly doubt that these are the only 2 options. This shop has an extensively long line of working on high performance imports.
First of all, you're acting like an audio shop is a team of trained professionals. They aren't, they hire any kid who knows a thing or two and lets them learn along the way.
First off, New Image is not doing this, Jotech is, and they do not specialize in audio like N.I. This shop also does not hire new kids. As I've been told by a mechanic and the manager, everyone there is a qualified worker.
You think they are more qualified to drill two holes than you are?
Uh, yeah and probably more than many of us. This shop isn't some rice-builder. They built a 739Hp tC and already have one of the fastest '09 GT-R's around. They've also had a long line of championship winning drag cars.

That's more than enough to tell me they're qualified.
You think they are going to take special care of your car because it means something to you?
With the huge amount of positive feedback, I'd say yes again. Ask any group of import guys around here, and most will recommend Jotech.

I have complete trust in them.
 
Reventón;3260275
My dealership will void the warranty if there is a screw up. And if there is, I'm out of luck, dealer & AEM wise as AEM states they will not cover the part if the part is not installed correctly. I will not risk losing both these warranties.

I'm curious how you got this in your head, it's illegal for them to void your warranty. We keep telling you this. If your dealer does void your warranty then I would strongly suggest finding a new dealer that isn't ran by idiots.

You saw how much stuff I had done to my Blazer and I was able to get it serviced under warranty numerous times.
 
I'm curious how you got this in your head, it's illegal for them to void your warranty. We keep telling you this. If your dealer does void your warranty then I would strongly suggest finding a new dealer that isn't ran by idiots.

You saw how much stuff I had done to my Blazer and I was able to get it serviced under warranty numerous times.

I'm not saying the mod will void the warranty. I'm saying if I install it and screw up, it will void it. I know for a fact McDavid will say because I screwed up the installation, I caused a part to fail/work incorrectly, and that I am now not covered for that part. In simple terms, I screw up, brake a part, am now liable for it.
 
Reventón;3260348
I'm not saying the mod will void the warranty. I'm saying if I install it and screw up, it will void it. I know for a fact McDavid will say because I screwed up the installation, I caused a part to fail/work incorrectly, and that I am now not covered for that part. In simple terms, I screw up, brake a part, am now liable for it.

Yeah but you're assuming that you WILL break something (or screw up the install) attempting to install the CAI.

Or at least, that's how it sounds.
 
I think people are forgetting that installing a cold air intake frequently requires completely removing the front bumper to install brackets in front of the wheel well area.


It's not a short ram where you simply take off the stock airbox, slide the new one on and put a clamp on it.
 
I think people are forgetting that installing a cold air intake frequently requires completely removing the front bumper to install brackets in front of the wheel well area.


It's not a short ram where you simply take off the stock airbox, slide the new one on and put a clamp on it.
Exactly. I can do it without the the front bumper coming off, and instead taking off the wheel. But, it becomes much harder.
Yeah but you're assuming that you WILL break something (or screw up the install) attempting to install the CAI.

Or at least, that's how it sounds.
Do not start. I'm sick of this response.

I'm having a shop do this. End of story. Doesn't make me any less of a car guy, either, and no one will care I spent an extra $120 to have them install the intake.
 
Reventón;3260885
no one will care I spent an extra $120 to have them install the intake.
You should. I'm much happier keeping my money by trying things myself.
 
You should. I'm much happier keeping my money by trying things myself.
That's besides the point.


He can lose the warranty on his car. Is that difficult to understand?

120 bucks now is a lot cheaper than potentially multiples of that later.

The end.
 
That's besides the point.


He can lose the warranty on his car. Is that difficult to understand?

120 bucks now is a lot cheaper than potentially multiples of that later.

The end.

Dunno why I didn't think of this, but if a shop screws up and causes you to lose your warranty, you can sue them, probably for quite a bit of cash too.

You can't however sue yourself.
 
It's rare that a shop would screw up an intake install, but its more the fact that he will be able to say that it's "professionally installed" which rules out any chances of them making some stupid excuse about him installing it himself and not covering a future repair.

Think of it as paying 120 for insurance, instead of paying for the car later.
 
Dunno why I didn't think of this, but if a shop screws up and causes you to lose your warranty, you can sue them, probably for quite a bit of cash too.

You can't however sue yourself.
I've got a guarantee from the shop it'll be done right, or they'll fix at their expense.


Anyways, I went back to Jotech for 2nd estimates, and I'm very pleased. I got one of the guys my buddy knows, so I knew who I was talking to wouldn't BS me.

But, they est. a CAI & install, & a V2 for a '03-'07 Accord V6 with install.

First option:
Cold Air Intake - $298.12 (Price went up unfortunately).
Installation - $125.00

Second option:
03-07 Accord V6 V2 Intake - $343.25
Installation - $125.00

But, they then gave me a discount taking $30 off CAI, & $34 off the V2. Final pricing? The Cold Air Intake will cost me $425.76 & the V2 will run me $459.41. The latter is only $34 more, & with the performance that can be gained with the V2, I will probably be going with it.
 
Curious what you actually went through with.

I went with the Accord's V2. It was ordered last Friday by Jotech, but it should be here in the next few days. I'm hoping it's installed on Friday or Saturday.
 
How much power increase for that CAI?
 
JCE
How much power increase for that CAI?
For the V2, I'd say around 5-8Hp if our dyno sheets at AZ.com have showed the regular CAI bumping up an extra 4-6Hp.

I'm more interested in seeing the mods used to accumulate 340 horses, but that takes quite a bit of dough.
 
You got the $$? I'd say go for it. :D I'd like to see some good engine work too, grab a nice racing cam. :D
 
Oh, I want to. I think the next thing I'll do is remove the resonator & middle muffler, and then go with an ATLP Quad Exhaust with a J-Pipe/Race Pipe setup. That's going to be around $2K though. :eek:

Will get my V2 on Monday though, and installed Wednesday.
 
When you get all this stuff done you need to let me come by and hear it in person. :D
 
JCE
When you get all this stuff done you need to let me come by and hear it in person. :D

:lol: Consider it a Christmas present then, b/c I probably won't have everything I want quite done til' around there, anyways.
 
Got the intake installed today, and it is mean sounding piece of machinery. Definitely turned heads today flooring it. The boost that usually kicks in around high RPMs now kicks in around 2,000 and keeps going. :D
 
Just out of curiosity, how do you use your cars, Reventon? You've got the BMW, Civic, and TL...Lately all the attention has been given to the TL. What do you do with the other two?
 
Back