Interest Check: "Endurance racers of the world, unite!"

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mulsanne
  • 72 comments
  • 3,202 views
Messages
434
"You have nothing to lose but your minds!"

2006 Gran Turismo Endurance Cup​

Interest Check: This is at the concept stage right now, just an idea I’m throwing out. This series would be mainly about making the endurance events fun and interesting for the participants (and earning millions of credits for winning the races). If there is sufficient interest, I would be happy to start such a series. I would love feedback on your interest in participating in the series, how the schedule should be arranged, any questions you might have or suggestions about what you might like to see done. (And help spread the word to other endurance racing fans.)

Who is this series for? This series is for everyone from endurance racing junkies to new members who just opened the Endurance Hall. Rather than having to slog through sixteen “boring” endurance races, we can make three-fourths of them fun and interesting by racing against each other.

Schedule: 12 races, 1 race per month
With one race per month, the time demands on the driver will be minimized. Ideally, the schedule should alternate between long and short races. Over the summer months, the schedule should be exclusively longer races, as people have more time to race during that time period. Shorter races should also be scheduled for months when some participants may have less time to devote to the series, such as months when final exams are being taken.

Races:
Short Races:
Grand Valley 300 Kilometers (60 laps) – Cars: ???
Tokyo Route 246 300 Kilometers (60 laps) – Cars: ???
Laguna Seca 200 Miles (90 laps) – Cars: ???
New York 200 Miles (76 laps) – Cars: ???
El Capitan 200 Miles (66 laps) – Cars: ???
Long Races:
Infineon World Sports (2 hours, 45 minutes) – Cars: ???
Fuji 1000 Kilometers (228 laps) – Cars: Le Mans Prototypes
Suzuka 1000 Kilometers (172 laps) – Cars: ???
Motegi 8 Hours – Cars: ???
Roadster (Tsukuba) 4 Hours – Cars: Mazda MX-5 variants OR Tsukuba 9 Hours – Cars: ???

June: Le Sarthe I 24 Hours – Cars: Le Mans Prototypes
This is the month of real-life Le Mans 24 Hours and we should have at least one twice-around-the-clock race.
December: Nurburgring 4 Hours – Cars: ???
I would like to end the season at the best circuit GT4 has to offer.

Rules:
* Cars for each race will be chosen by the participants. Car selection and any allowed modifications for each race will be done the previous month. Selection should take into account the availability of the car/car set to each participant and the competition level of the AI cars.
As the car selection for each race is up to the participants, it gives them a say in what they want to race, instead of one person saying “Here’s this race and you must race this car or this car, etc.” hopefully making the race more fun for the participants. Ideally, we want the selection to be a car or group of cars that are available to everyone, closely matched and create a good race with the AI cars. (We want people to be able to win the race and the credits that go with it, but to have to “earn it” in a competitive race against the AI cars.) Personally, I would like to see a nice variety of modern GT cars in terms of what is selected, from under 200 bhp Miatas to 800+ bhp Le Mans Prototypes.

* Standard on-line racing rules apply. Drivers must keep at least two wheels on the track/kerbs at all times (no wall-riding, grass/track cutting, etc.). Avoid unnecessary contact with AI cars.

* Drivers are allowed unlimited practice, but may only complete the race once.
This will also help minimize the time demands on the driver, freeing them to do other series or to actually have a life.

* Drivers can use B-spec mode if they wish.
Again, this will help cut down on the time demands on the drivers.

* Drivers must PM:
- Car number/car/car horsepower/car weight/A-spec points earned
- Race tire compound
- Total race time (plus perhaps at other points in the race)
- Fastest race lap
- Pit record (lap, tires, fuel, b-spec used)
- Incident record
- Driver comments
* All race times are due by midnight US Eastern Time on last day of month.
* Results will be posted the next day.

Points: (based on the old CART series points)
1st – 20 points / 7th – 6 points
2nd – 16 points / 8th – 5 points
3rd – 14 points / 9th – 4 points
4th – 12 points / 10th – 3 points
5th - 10 points / 11th – 2 points
6th – 8 points / 12th and lower – 1 point
Fastest Race Lap: 1 point

Ideally, points would be a secondary concern, as the first concern should be fun. Hard-core participants can compete for the title, but I want the participants to be able choose the races they wish to take part in without worrying about their place in the standings.

SUMMARY: 1 endurance race per month, we come to an agreement on which car/set of cars to use and what modifications are allowed, you run the race once, PM your time/info and we see how we compare. Simple and fun.

Just a note/request: To make this series all that it could be, I would need a partner who can create “professional-looking” results and standings tables.

So let me know, viable series or lead balloon?

Thanks for your time. :)
 
That's hot. I might even be convinced to do the results/rank tables.
 
Im very interested, keep us posted on what happens with this.
 
COOL!! Would be nice to have this done with the "LM" type of cars. No one is using these type of cars as a standard for racing and would be accepted in almost all the races except for a couple (miata enduro and the 4 hours of the nurb)
 
Very cool idea my friend :) I especially like the fact that there is an unlimited car selection so you can run an endurance race in a production car if you like 👍
 
Very interesting, you could also do mini enduros in Arcade, up to 50 laps, that opens up alot more tracks. Fifty laps on most any track I would consider an endurance race.Personally I don't care to do the 24 hour endos,cause I will not use Sideshow B-Bob.
I'll keep checking back to see how this progresses. Good idea though,I get a wee bit tired of hotlaps, I enjoy 15-50 lap races where pitting stratagy and tire selection are crucial. I'm much more of a consistant racer over many laps rather than a demon hotlapper. JGTC, LM and C class race cars are my favorite on long races, the slower road cars get too boring quickly.

I've always wanted to do series racing,example; one car doing 10 laps on 5 different tracks. Each track time would be a "split", then add up your 5 splits and get a final time....hmmmm, might have to give that some serious thought. Sorry I got off your subject there. I'll be ready when you are,thanks man
 
Mulsanne
With one race per month, the time demands on the driver will be minimized. Ideally, the schedule should alternate between long and short races. Over the summer months, the schedule should be exclusively longer races, as people have more time to race during that time period. Shorter races should also be scheduled for months when some participants may have less time to devote to the series, such as months when final exams are being taken

Like the idea, but dont fall into the trap of thinking everyone has more time during the summer just because of exams and stuff.....what about people who work full time??

Best to see whos interested before those sorts of decisions are made.

Another good idea though 👍

regards

Dave
 
Thanks for the feedback guys. Whether or not this series goes ahead is up to racers like you guys, so I really appreciate the comments. :) 👍

Dave (love your avatar, BTW), I hear you. I'm just going on the assumption that many people here are students (based on some of the spelling...j/k) and that they would have more time during the summer to race.

For people like us who work full-time, participation would still be a viable option. Let's say we have 2-3 hours of free time each day, in between work, sleep, family and other obligations/activities. Over a month, that's 60-90 hours (not even counting the full weekends). That should be plenty of time to fit in maybe 1 hour of practice and 1 race.

As for car selection, the idea is that we all get together the month before the race and decide which car or set of cars we want to use and come to an agreement. As stated in the original post, the cars should be accessible to all drivers, closely matched in performance, so that it's down to driver skill, not the car that determines the winner, and "forces" (for lack of a better word) the drivers to have a battle with the AI cars. Personally, I don't like the "walkover" wins. I like to have a fight with the AI. Hopefully, we'll not only be battling each other, but the AI cars as well, making it more interesting and fun.

Thanks again, and let me know if there are any questions/comments/concerns. And please help spread the word!
 
Looks VERY Good! 👍 All I can suggest is running "Comperable" cars to what the "AI" throws at us. For example in the Tsukuba 9 Hours Endurance: I employed a SUBARU Imprezza Sport Wagon STi '00 (Used). I don't think running a Grp C or LMP ride here for example would be much fun & obviously NO challenge! ...O.G.
old.gif
 
Thanks! 👍

The whole idea is that we all agree on the car(s) that will be eligible for each race (we could go from LMPs to DTMs to Miatas, depending on the race) that will do exactly that...provide a good battle not only with each other, but with the AI cars. I believe it would make the "boring" endurance races interesting and fun.
 
👍 (actions speak louder then words)
 
Let's start working on one thing: How would everyone like the schedule set up?

First, which Tsukuba race would you prefer we do; the 4 Hour Mazda MX-5 Miata race or the 9 Hours, where we can choose the car(s) we use?

Second, other than June and December, which race would you pair with which month? How would you like the schedule done?

In the original post, I outlined what I thought, (we should alternate between long and short races and have longer races over the summer), but this series is really about the participants. You get to determine which cars we use, and you also determine which months we do the races.

So let me know. :)
 
I'd prefer the 9 hr race so i can choose what car i want.
 
Although I would also prefer to choose my own car I would have to go for the 4 hour race because I just wouldnt have time for a 9 hour race and i dont want to b spec most of it.
 
Actually i like the 9 hours of Tsukuba mainly because you can run faster cars than a "slow" miata. But then, you have a close race, time wise, using the same type of car in the miata race. 50/50 for me :crazy:
 
Let's forget about putting a schedule together for right now. (Although, if someone does have a schedule put together they'd like to show, I'm all for it.) Let's focus on the January race. Which race do you want to do (except Le Sarthe I and 'Ring 4 hours) and which car(s) do you want to run?

Remember, it has to be something accessible to all participants and should be close in performance to the AI cars so that we have to race them competitively.

And this series concept doesn't work if we can't agree on the track/cars to use, so there has to be some compromise.

I'm going to stay out of it and let you guys decide. :)
 
I vote for the El Capitan enduro. Start with something short and sweet, lots of good cars to choose from.
 
Sounds good. What about the rest of you guys?

Drew, what car/car set would you recommend we run? Should be something close in performance to the AI cars, so that it creates a good race.
 
I'd prefer Roadster (Tsukuba) 4 Hours.

I love Miatas.
 
Mulsanne
Sounds good. What about the rest of you guys?

Drew, what car/car set would you recommend we run? Should be something close in performance to the AI cars, so that it creates a good race.
Just went and reviewed El Capitan, would have to be a car with a maximum HP of 275, otherwise it would be too easy. The Elise maybe Audi TT, anything thats slower then the AI's, cause you can always get the AI's in the turns even if they're faster on the straights.

Whatever works, but lets make sure it's a hard race to win, being in the lead for 60 laps is no fun at all.
 
Drew22
Whatever works, but lets make sure it's a hard race to win, being in the lead for 60 laps is no fun at all.
👍...O.G.
old.gif
 
i recommend putting up a poll so people can vote on which race they want.
 
No, it's certainly not fun to run away with the race.

As for car selection, I want people to give a list of cars they might want to use, and we'll decide as a group. (A poll is a good idea. 👍 ) So, don't be shy, people. :) Let us know if you have a good idea for a car to use.
 
If we're considering the El Captain 200 Miles as our first race...MY recomendation is the SUZUKI GSX-R/4 '01. Several people have run it there with success & I'd like to try it as well! 👍...O.G.
old.gif
 
I'm interested in this, as i prefer longer races, as you get more of an enjoyment out of it, and it's more stratigtic! (sp)

This would be my first time to do a Online Racing, so just go easy please? ;)

A few weeks back, someone wrote on the Race Report forum on the El Cap., completing it with a Lotus Elan...as shown here:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=73413

We all could do something similar to that? Take a lightweight car, tune it up a bit to a set limit, and race for the finish?

Could always have divisions for this one, catorgoried in weight or power.

Just ideas, nothing concrete.

But i would still like to participate in this!


(editied it to correct a spelling mistake...d'oh!)
 
First off, I should apologize to Mulsanne for the lateness of my reply. I had to reformat my 'puter awhile ago and haven't "bothered" to stop in here. Apologies first and Thanks for the heads-up next!! 👍

As I'm a late joiner I can only say that I prefer those Enduros under 4 hours, but will go with whatever you guys decide. Any chance I get to run with the Ol' Dawg is a good time indeed!! 👍
 
Hey, no problem. Just glad to see a racer of your caliber interested. Looks like we'll be racing for second. ;)

I'm planning on doing all 12 of the enduros listed in the original post. However, if you're not too concerned about the points, everyone is more than welcome to pick and choose the races they enter. It's not going to be like the FIA saying "enter all the races, or don't bother to show up." :yuck:

Okay, so far we have the El Capitan 200 Miles set for January with the recommended cars being: "Lotus Elan," "SUZUKI GSX-R/4 '01," and "(Lotus) Elise maybe Audi TT." Since we have 17 days left in this month, we have plenty of time to choose the car. (Personally, I'd go with the Lotus Elise, but that's just my opinion, as I love how the car looks and drives. But it's up to you guys.)

So, if anyone has any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them. Let's give it until the 20th to nominate potential cars, and then we'll have from the 21st to the 31st to choose one from that list. That okay with everyone?
 
Mulsanne
No, it's certainly not fun to run away with the race.

Let me correct myself on one thing. It can be fun on occasion. Doing the Suzuka 1000 kms. in an LMP car for an OLR was incredible fun (at least for me) blasting through lapped traffic lap after lap in a superior car. It was really like the real life sports car races where the LMP drivers have to encounter slower cars and judge how and when to overtake. It makes for some really hairy moments. But a lot of fun.
 
I'll just mention that I tend to like driving older cars (ie. 1970 or earlier). And be sure to pick cars that are easy to acquire. They should either be available for purchase or prizes from easy races.
 
I really like the looks of this. I love endurance racing, and I've have to get in on this.

I'm in!

I think if we are doing El-Capitan we should use the Elise or the TT.
 
Back