Interest Check: Gran Turismo Table Top Game

Discussion in 'The Rumble Strip' started by W3HS, May 24, 2019.

1. W3HS

W3HS Premium

There are cornering tests for the red markers in which a die is rolled to determine the outcome referenced against a driver’s skill points.

It’ll all become clearer once I releases the first draft of the instructions.

I don’t have the knowhow to to that but if anyone else fancies a try then it’s entirely up to them.

I did consider chance cards but they would be hard to implement without copying other racing games; one I remember has a mechanic which generates a chance card for every pit stop made. I like the idea but would want another way to implement it.

As for the pit, it’s already a longer detour which will be necessary to enter at certain points during the game.

I don’t know if you noticed the draft track above as it doesn’t feature squares but circular markers.

bjl23 likes this.
  2. W3HS

W3HS Premium

A brief first draft of the game-play instructions. They haven't been play tested but that's why I've asked you guys to lend a hand. Obviously, any gaping gaps should kindly be pointed out.

3. bjl23

bjl23 Premium

Sounds very complicated but maybe once you play it, it might be easier to understand.

4. W3HS

W3HS Premium

It really shouldn’t be any more complicated than a typical board game. I’ve tried to keep it simple, and I think as more of it is revealed it will start to seem pretty straight forward.

It’s probably easy enough for me to post a video of gameplay sample once I actually produce a prototype.

Jordan likes this.
  5. bjl23

bjl23 Premium

I look forward to your video.

6. W3HS

W3HS Premium

Here's a simple version of what the stat cards will look like, obviously this one is blank.

Attributes Stats Card.png

Now I'm wondering whether the stats should be pre-filled or is it better for players to put their stat points where they want.

Jordan likes this.
  7. BobK

BobK Premium

Start with fixed stats but allow players to expend "tuning" points to adjust the stats slightly.

8. W3HS

W3HS Premium

Not a bad idea. Perhaps extra stat points could be generated somehow during a game.

There would be a fixed allowance in any case (maybe something like 35-40 points, that why I’ll need to play test and find a good measure), something that would balance well and offer the player an opportunity to invest stat points where they feel they’re most needed.

Having a fixed stat set from the start kind of takes some of the personalisation out of the game and makes it much more rigid. Plus it means that I’d have to develop a whole series of varying stat cards that are well balanced for players to use. I think allowing a blank canvas for building attributes of preference would be much more suitable.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  9. W3HS

W3HS Premium

Second track to add to the starter set. They aren't difficult to make, obviously, it's just hard to find the time to get them done.

High Speed Ring.png

10. Omnis

Omnis Staff Emeritus

I propose that if you roll a Finland country of origin for your driver card, then you get a global +5 saving throw

11. kikie

kikie Premium

Isn't it possible to make an internet version that can be uploaded to and become a part of GTP so every GTP member can play it?

bjl23 likes this.
  12. W3HS

W3HS Premium

You, sir, are a man of grand ideas.

I do intend for it to be available for everyone, but by “internet version” do you mean digital? If so, I don’t have the skills to do that. My limits are exceeded beyond a simple bit of graphic design.

13. kikie

kikie Premium

Yep, digital. @Jordan has the skills.

14. W3HS

W3HS Premium

It could be a huge amount of work for all I know, it isn’t fair to ask anyone to invest time working on side project of mine.

15. kikie

kikie Premium

Maybe it is a lot of work but it is a nice project.

Let me take the burden of asking of off you. (is "of" "off" correct in this case?)

@Jordan, is it possible to make a digital GTP version of W3HS's project and implement it in GTP?

16. Jordan

Jordan Administrator

I fully support Shem's project, but I don't have time to build something like that.