Interesting details in cars you like.

The Rover SD1 shares tailights with the early 80’s Lotus Esprit.

View attachment 738521 View attachment 738522

The Lotus Excel also used them, but upside down.

excel_compomotive_wheel_upg.jpg

On that note the Rover 200 and the XJ220 share theirs too, as do the Ford Mondeo MkI and the Noble M12.

ueaQgaKT.jpg

VXR
Lexus have really upped the game in interior design, with so many interesting details, materials and colour choices.
A colleague of mine pointed out to me yesterday that it's real user-experience design at work too. To open the door in the LC you're grabbing a cool, ultra-smooth piece of aluminium while brushing the back of your hand against some Alcantara/suede. You're getting an expensive, sensory experience just from opening a door (the action of the lever itself feels good too). Very, very few other companies go to that kind of extent.

Which makes Lexus' choice of infotainment control - the weird haptic mousepad thing - all the more baffling.

A colleague of mine pointed out to me yesterday that it's real user-experience design at work too. To open the door in the LC you're grabbing a cool, ultra-smooth piece of aluminium while brushing the back of your hand against some Alcantara/suede. You're getting an expensive, sensory experience just from opening a door (the action of the lever itself feels good too). Very, very few other companies go to that kind of extent.

Which makes Lexus' choice of infotainment control - the weird haptic mousepad thing - all the more baffling.

I remember reading that on the LF-A, the paddle to downshift had more weight than the paddle to upshift. It's those kind of subtle things that really make a car feel rewarding to drive (or at least I imagine it does, I'll likely never drive an LF-A ha)

Coming under the category of "huh, I'd not really noticed that before" is the gauge cluster from the old Scion xA/Toyota ist. I have a thing about simple single-cluster instruments or concentric gauges and this one looks quite good to me - though I do wonder how easy it is to actually read.

2008-scion-xd-5dr-hb-man-natl-instrument-cluster_100265214_l.jpg

Coming under the category of "huh, I'd not really noticed that before" is the gauge cluster from the old Scion xA/Toyota ist. I have a thing about simple single-cluster instruments or concentric gauges and this one looks quite good to me - though I do wonder how easy it is to actually read.

Reminds me a lot of the Altezza one.

Prewar and wartime ('39-'44) Volkswagens featured the period VW logo: A cogwheel swastika
23206946511_62f37bbafe_b.jpg

these are replicas because originals are extremely valuable and rare
The KdF "Flying VW" hubcaps were largely pre-prewar, as prewar models saw a shift to a nipple style cap bearing the plain cogwheel logo earlier in 1939 (April, if I'm not mistaken) and used through the war, prior to the move into British hands which resulted in a change to the logo that most everyone is accustomed to.

6151117.jpg

I was joking because some cars with an automatic transmission have a third pedal which would be the parking brake and some people mistaken it as a clutch pedal.
Well, my father's 45 y.o Mercedes has both. A clutch pedal and a parking brake pedal. So, 4 pedals.

The new Continental has to be one of the most luxurious looking vehicles out there. Definitely more so than the sporting pretensions of the German trio.

I really love the door handles on the new Lincoln Continentals. So much elegance and beauty! It makes the rest of the door very clean even with the limited edition model with suicide doors dubbed the "Coach".
1a1c6de2-lincoln-continental-4.gif

2019%20Lincoln%20Continental%20(4).JPG
https%3A%2F%2Fs3.amazonaws.com%2Fthe-drive-staging%2Fmessage-editor%252F1533756022097-lincolndoorhandles.jpg

lincoln-continental-coach-door-feature.jpg
They should really sell these in Australia.

I really love the door handles on the new Lincoln Continentals. So much elegance and beauty! It makes the rest of the door very clean even with the limited edition model with suicide doors dubbed the "Coach".
1a1c6de2-lincoln-continental-4.gif

2019%20Lincoln%20Continental%20(4).JPG
https%3A%2F%2Fs3.amazonaws.com%2Fthe-drive-staging%2Fmessage-editor%252F1533756022097-lincolndoorhandles.jpg

lincoln-continental-coach-door-feature.jpg

This is a luxury car I can get behind, I love those details

The 1976 Buick Century Turbo had a brushed stainless "targa band" that, as far as I know, wasn't used on any other A-body.

369281.jpg

The Plymouth Sapporo had one as well, and it wasn't even a T-top like the Buick, much less an actual targa.

Plymouth-Sapporro-010.jpg

Forgot the AMC Hornet could have one of those too, provided you opted for the the AMX variant made available only in its final year.

292511.jpg

It didn't fit as well as other examples.

Literally.

Forgot the AMC Hornet could have one of those too, provided you opted for the the AMX variant made available only in its final year.

292511.jpg

It didn't fit as well as other examples.

Literally.

How do you wash the car underneath that band thing?

Back