Interviews of Kazunori Yamauchi: See post 1. Translations, revelations & discussion.

• Thread starter aurelio_911
  • 749 comments
Nice spin there, at no point does he mention GT5, he's talking about Sony's pressure in general and if you read the whole article, it becomes evident when he talks about GT2. Those so called "journalists" took one sentence, pulled it completely out of context, and added their own words into Kaz's quote. Way to go!

Sony putting pressure on a lauch, sooner as possible? I find it 100% logical.

I wouldnt trust the source that much since it claims GT5 has been in development for 5 years...Remember its only JUST 4

Nope, on Spanish TGS meristation interview to Kazunori: "How long did it take to develop the game? It took about 5 years".

Kaz: Sony's pressure to release GT5 difficult to bear

I'm linking the above article since a lot of people have been under the impression that it's Sony's fault we won't be seeing GT5 until March next year, but from the sounds of things, it looks like we should actually be thanking them for getting PD's ass into gear. It looks like Sony has really been trying to make an effort now to see that GT5 is released sooner rather than later. If Kazunori is saying that the pressures of release dates are getting to him, I dread to think how much longer we'd have to wait for GT5 had Sony not put pressure on for a release date.

I hope that after the release of GT5 that Polyphony Digital expand as a company and hire a decent amount of new people. Turn 10 has what, 300 people working on the Forza series and even then they still outsource development of certain things to other companies. If PD really only has slightly over 100 employees, I think they're going to need to expand significantly.
well after GT5 comes out, they wont need to expand for GT6. the engine for that game would be finished.

but say GT7 is released for PS4 , then yes i would say they will need to expand.

I wouldnt trust the source that much since it claims GT5 has been in development for 5 years...Remember its only JUST 4

Well that's assuming it has only been in devlopment since GT4's release... games are sometimes in development before their predecessor is released....

I'm linking the above article since a lot of people have been under the impression that it's Sony's fault we won't be seeing GT5 until March next year, but from the sounds of things, it looks like we should actually be thanking them for getting PD's ass into gear. It looks like Sony has really been trying to make an effort now to see that GT5 is released sooner rather than later. If Kazunori is saying that the pressures of release dates are getting to him, I dread to think how much longer we'd have to wait for GT5 had Sony not put pressure on for a release date.

I hope that after the release of GT5 that Polyphony Digital expand as a company and hire a decent amount of new people. Turn 10 has what, 300 people working on the Forza series and even then they still outsource development of certain things to other companies. If PD really only has slightly over 100 employees, I think they're going to need to expand significantly.

Find me one publisher who doesn't push their development teams for deadlines and I'll run down the street naked. Welcome to Gaming!

Also, the latter implies they can expand. It's not just as simple as saying "let's increase our workforce three-fold".

I think there is also a bit of a mis-understanding with development cycles for games, not least the huge amount of work involved.

Nice spin there, at no point does he mention GT5, he's talking about Sony's pressure in general and if you read the whole article, it becomes evident when he talks about GT2. Those so called "journalists" took one sentence, pulled it completely out of context, and added their own words into Kaz's quote. Way to go!

From what I read the part of the interview where he mentions pressure from Sony seems to be an interview recently performed and with GT5 generally the focus of game related questions. One question is "How long it took to develop the game? " and his response is about 5 years and then he compares it go GT1 to put in perspective what that dev time means. I think it's pretty clear here the game in question is GT5 and I see no reason to think the subject deviates from this throughout the questioning.

In fact much of the interview and visit seem to be about current happenings about and only a few times are previous games brought up and then they are pretty well identified and mentioned in a way you know they are talking about previous games.

Wow just read that today on an german news site...

Can´t find any words to say :scared:
After 5 years (was officially from kaz) of development! Wow Kaz is crazy... when will he release this game when sony makes no pressure?

Seriously... Wow no words to say...

Wow just read that today on an german news site...

Can´t find any words to say :scared:
After 5 years (was officially from kaz) of development! Wow Kaz is crazy... when will he release this game when sony makes no pressure?

Seriously... Wow no words to say...

What really gets me is that all indicators point to the vast marjority of cars nto having damage up until recently... that brings two things to mind, what were they doing that whole time and can they really do in a good job in a few months?

The damage model is already done, it was shown to the press recently, so the demo from TGS and GC must have been old.
At TGS and GC the damage was not complete and Kaz said you wont see damage to all cars, but now it seems as if there is damage to all the cars, but only race cars will suffer visual damage in a way, that they will loose parts of the cars body.

Iam pretty sure that we will have damage to all cars, visual and mechanical, but only race cars will be completely destructable visually.

What really gets me is that all indicators point to the vast marjority of cars nto having damage up until recently... that brings two things to mind, what were they doing that whole time and can they really do in a good job in a few months?

I think Kaz said what they've got done on damage so far has been 2 months work. With 6 more months, they could potentially do a lot.

To the contrary, they're probably just waking up to the fact their decision to push the release of GTPSP first was pure stupidity, as everybody else already knew. Now there whipping the hell out of Kaz to get GT5 out the door to try and make up for it. :dunce:

Thats just what I would expect from a Big Corp. thats losing money.

Last edited:
PD spend an awful lot of time making the best of the computing power of the console, this is hard work, and they need to do that to achieve the high standard of visuals. i wonder if that workload will be reduced for them for GT7 with a new game model? the ps4 could be quantum based or something special. a gaming world without processor limits.

Find me one publisher who doesn't push their development teams for deadlines and I'll run down the street naked. Welcome to Gaming!

Oh yeah I know, it's just that I've seen a lot of posts implying that it's Sony's fault that the game has taken so long to make, and I thought that would be interesting to read since it appears that Sony in fact appear to be doing the opposite. I think that might also be why the Sony people were talking about a 2009 release, since they were trying to push PD into getting the game done as soon as possible.

To the contrary, they're probably just waking up to the fact their decision to push the release of GTPSP first was pure stupidity, as everybody else already knew. Now there whipping the hell out of Kaz to get GT5 out the door to try and make up for it. :dunce:

Thats just what I would expect from a Big Corp. thats losing money.
To add to this, I know that GT HD took some time to create, but I think it was two weeks, throwing together a few assets they had available with some basic game code.

Then there was Prologue, which amounted to perhaps six weeks to make, and then a week to three for each update to be made to work right.

However, Kazunori-dono himself said that making GTPSP was a pain, and took a lot of extra effort to get the thing working properly in around a gigabyte of code and data. This is 20% or less the size of GT4, and it uses car models simplified from the GT5 car list.

Anyone think this took less than a year to make? Maybe Deve? ;)

On the length of time to make GT5, I have a feeling Kaz is right, and preliminary work on GT5 was begun when they were still polishing up GT4.

From what I read the part of the interview where he mentions pressure from Sony seems to be an interview recently performed and with GT5 generally the focus of game related questions. One question is "How long it took to develop the game? " and his response is about 5 years and then he compares it go GT1 to put in perspective what that dev time means. I think it's pretty clear here the game in question is GT5 and I see no reason to think the subject deviates from this throughout the questioning.

In fact much of the interview and visit seem to be about current happenings about and only a few times are previous games brought up and then they are pretty well identified and mentioned in a way you know they are talking about previous games.

I see where you're going, but the title of the article and Kaz's statement are different. Having pressure for a release date isn't the same as pressure to release the game. It also doesn't mean the pressure he mentions is happening right now for GT5. He could very well be talking about GT PSP, where he had a specific day to launch it. In the question the journalist ask this question:
Have you had or have any kind of pressure from Sony in any aspect of the game including launch dates, content, etc?
The interviewer doesn't ask GT5 directly and for me, as I'm reading the article I have the clear impression that Kaz is talking in general. Read the interview part which begins on page 8 and see what I mean.

The interviewer doesn't ask GT5 directly and for me, as I'm reading the article I have the clear impression that Kaz is talking in general. Read the interview part which begins on page 8 and see what I mean.

The article is about GT5, and the interview is about GT5 also. When the interviewer says, "Have you had or have any kind of pressure from Sony in any aspect of the game including launch dates, content, etc?" it's very obvious that "the game" is GT5. I really don't understand how it could be interpreted any other way =/

The article is about GT5, and the interview is about GT5 also. When the interviewer says, "Have you had or have any kind of pressure from Sony in any aspect of the game including launch dates, content, etc?" it's very obvious that "the game" is GT5. I really don't understand how it could be interpreted any other way =/

I'm gonna quote all the question the interviewer asked before:

What aspect of the final product are you most satisfied with?
How long did it take to develop the game?
A personal question. What is your favorite chapter of the series?
Speaking of which, from the outside it seems that Gran Turismo is your life, and you treat and speak of it as your own son. Is that so?
Your great love of cars is well known. Is that the main reason you created and developed Gran Turismo, a game that is always seeking perfection in the simulation?

Notice that after the two initial question that where directly related to GT5, the interviewer asks 3 questions related to the series in general. Notice also in the last question that he uses the word "game" to refer to the series. Then he asks the question we're talking about. At least to me it is not clear he's asking especifically about GT5 and it is not clear that Kaz is answering based on GT5 only. I've read this article a few times in Spanish and it never sounded as if Kaz meant that Sony was putting pressure on him to release GT5. Especially when the interviewer asks "have you ever had" which refers to the past, it for me makes it clear Kaz was answering to the series in general, moreso when you consider what he said in the third question about GT2.

Alot of other brands and models. Thats what. If they do cut some versions of the Lancer and Sykline and Impreza, then they'd have room (like 100 more) for more muscles, luxury cars, Maserati, Koenigsegg, and any other popular car genre, manufacturer, or model.
That's a flawed view. It isn't a matter of "room" to have variations of a car make. In fact, they like variations because it's easy and quick to model them. And I like collecting cars, so it's more for me to spend my wealth on. A hundred Skylines, Lancers and WRX's don't mean there can't be 15 Corvette or Mustang variants. Or even new models. But the models have to be licensed. Kaz can't just set his team to modeling any old car he wants. Porsche?

And if around a thousand different cars doesn't give you a number of toys to play with, I don't think anything will make you all that happy. And I promise, 300 of them won't be Skylines. ;)

Shame they can't just give us a few options with that 'adjustment', let the user have a bit of a play and make up their own mind.
I'm unaware of any serious racing game that's come out for the last decade or so that had damage of some kind, and didn't let you scale it to your preference. Forza gives you at least three levels, and something similar should work.

Edit: WOW... thanks aurelio! My name on that first page is up in serious big red letters! :lol:

I'm gonna quote all the question the interviewer asked before:

Notice that after the two initial question that where directly related to GT5, the interviewer asks 3 questions related to the series in general. Notice also in the last question that he uses the word "game" to refer to the series. Then he asks the question we're talking about. At least to me it is not clear he's asking especifically about GT5 and it is not clear that Kaz is answering based on GT5 only. I've read this article a few times in Spanish and it never sounded as if Kaz meant that Sony was putting pressure on him to release GT5. Especially when the interviewer asks "have you ever had" which refers to the past, it for me makes it clear Kaz was answering to the series in general, moreso when you consider what he said in the third question about GT2.

Well to be fair the 3 questions where he asks about the game in general he specifically says gran turismo or the series.

In the question about Sony and pressure he refers to it as "the game". The game doesn't sound like multiple or a series to me, it's said very specifically as in a specific one.

There are two questions between the favorite chapter and pressure question and both quite clearly change the subject from any one chapter back towards the series in general.

So it seems entirely possible and likely that the question is asked about and answered about GT5 in particular and regardless not terribly likely it was asked specifically about GT2.

On a seperate note, why does it seem any interview with anything worth knowing is a double translation to get into English?

This Spanish interview contains some really nice tidbits of information, but the description of the "secret" trailer that they were shown was lacking sorely, in my opinion. Could he have been a little more vague?

"The video began with A street circuit..." No idea which one? At least, if it was new or already known...?

"We saw cars from NASCAR, Rally, Lamborghinis and Bugattis." No mention which models...nothing?

"We also saw A Ferrari with A big city in the background." Which Ferrari? Which city?

Ok, maybe it was cut so fast that it was hard to identify, but as a die-hard GT-fan that this journalist describes himself, he should have been able to be a little more specific, methinks.

So it seems entirely possible and likely that the question is asked about and answered about GT5 in particular and regardless not terribly likely it was asked specifically about GT2.
I'm not saying it was specifically with GT2, I was just giving an example. But there's no point going further in the discussion because all I had to say was already said. But reading from the context, when the interviewer was a friend of Kaz and asking personal question on GT in general, it feels clear to me he was talking about the series.

On a seperate note, why does it seem any interview with anything worth knowing is a double translation to get into English?
Unfortunately most of the English speaking interviewers simply don't care. You have gamespot who was at the same event and then you see the article they wrote, then you have a clear idea that they don't give a damn.

This Spanish interview contains some really nice tidbits of information, but the description of the "secret" trailer that they were shown was lacking sorely, in my opinion. Could he have been a little more vague?

"The video began with A street circuit..." No idea which one? At least, if it was new or already known...?

"We saw cars from NASCAR, Rally, Lamborghinis and Bugattis." No mention which models...nothing?

"We also saw A Ferrari with A big city in the background." Which Ferrari? Which city?

Ok, maybe it was cut so fast that it was hard to identify, but as a die-hard GT-fan that this journalist describes himself, he should have been able to be a little more specific, methinks.
He's probably not allowed to be any more specific. If PD has only shown that video behind closed doors they clearly don't want the media covering it yet. They're probably holding back any new GT5 media for a few weeks until GT PSP's initial sales tail off.

The english version says
"In the final game will be over 950 cars and 20 circuits. Various configurations of these increase the total to more than 70 tracks"
, in the spanish version says
"En el juego final habrá más de 950 coches y 20 circuitos. Las diferentes configuraciones de éstos llevan la cifra total a más de 70 pistas"

My native languaje is spanish, and in spanish that's is 20 tracks and 70 layouts.

No doubt.

In every Interview the translator guy is present and he only speaks engish and japanese. So this spanish guy must have had an interview in english and he had to translate it into spanish.

Well you could go on an on and on. I personally think its going to be "over" 20 tracks and 70 variations. Maybe 23 tracks and 75 variations or something like that.

For those having issues with the MeriStation interview, I basically spent all afternoon "transliterating" it. By that, I mean it's not a translation as much as a conversion of my best guesses, so that the phrasing makes sense and seems to remain true to the original Spanish. So without any fanfare and warning to take this for what it is, here it is...

Thanks, that was a great read and made my anticipation of GT5 that much more. 👍

EDIT: If KY flat out, said today in an international conference that the damage he speaks of and it's been shown in the secret trailer will apply to every single car in the game, regardless of it being a race car or a bone stock car. It that happend or if indeed come 2010 GT5 will have those features, well, I'll feel like I've died and gone to heaven, GT heaven, where I don't have to work, spend time with the kids or the wife. Just rock on GT! I sure hope the wife doesn't read this, or I'm toast!

Last edited:
The english version says
"In the final game will be over 950 cars and 20 circuits. Various configurations of these increase the total to more than 70 tracks"
, in the spanish version says
"En el juego final habrá más de 950 coches y 20 circuitos. Las diferentes configuraciones de éstos llevan la cifra total a más de 70 pistas"

My native languaje is spanish, and in spanish that's is 20 tracks and 70 layouts.

No doubt.

Spaniard spanish or Mexican spanish?

I think most people concur with pay2021's interpretation. I'm a little rough on what a "location" is in racing terminology, but a layout definitely works as a certain track configuration. Keep in mind that GT4 had a little over 35 locations, and 51 layouts, to put this in perspective. What this will mean is anyone's guess.

As for the damage issue, this has everyone's curiosity piqued. While I'd be happy with the TGS build, more or less, the thought of all cars being equal is tantalizing. We may not get anything definite till December or later, but the dribble of news yet again is going to be entertaining. Well, for those of us who can tear ourselves away from Forza 3 anyhow.

Last edited:
The closet set tournaments mentioned in the Xavier interview is interesting, I wasn't expecting that functionality was going to make it into a game that sounds cramped for time. Really interesting to see how rich that is, could be a lot of fun.

Spaniard spanish or Mexican spanish?

Spaniard spanish, i recall, in spanish version says "...y 20 circuitos.
Las diferentes configuraciones de éstos..."

That's more like "...20 tracks. The diferent configuration of those... make 70 layouts"

Back