Introducing the Tesla Model S

SuperShouden

(Banned)
SuperShouden
It's here....and it costs less than a brand new Lotus...and it's faster than an Audi A6...or a 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO. And it's full electric with a range of 300 miles...which is almost long enough to get you to grandmother's house.

http://www.teslamotors.com/models

int-side4.jpg

Hero_Perf.jpg

models_hero_2_2.jpg

models_hero_3_2.jpg

Who said an Electric car can't look gorgeous and perform well...hasn't seen this beauty.

Last edited:
Looks nice but I can only see rich CEOs buying this car and parking it in the front in the electric car space in front of their big office buildings. Performance is ehhh. Saying that it is faster than a 50 year old car is not saying much. I can see this car is going on the same path as the Leaf is. They're cool but still impractical.

The Tesla's a bit more practical than the leaf, in my opinion, especially since the Tesla can go twice as far on a single charge. And...if I had the money for an electric car, I would probably get this one...at least the Tesla looks good. And...there are gasoline cars that don't get 300 miles to the tank. (take most supercars for example.)

EDIT: And, obviously, the Model S isn't designed to be super fast....for that, they have the new Roadster which has a 0-60 time of 3.7 seconds....about 2 seconds faster than the Model S....btw, the Ferrari 458 does 0-60 in 3.0 seconds...the 599 GTO does it in 3.3 seconds...3.7 seconds is as fast as a Ferrari F40.

Last edited:
Does it still seat 7?

Also the Model S "Sport" is supposed to rival the M5's 0-60 time, which is eh. Otherwise I think it looks fantastic.

Well, since they are still using the same stock photos, I'd imagine yes.

Well, since they are still using the same stock photos, I'd imagine yes.

Was this directed towards me? There has been no visual proof that it does seat 7, that was just a promise by Tesla when the project was announced.

7? It seats 5. It's a family Sedan, not an SUV. Unless you're counting the Model S + the Roadster, then it only seats 5.

EDIT: Also, for the prices:

160 miles = $49,900
230 miles = $59,900
300 miles = $69,900

Which...is roughly in the Lotus Evora price range. Still...if you're looking for a green, sport "luxury" sedan for the family and you don't have the money for a Maserati or Mercedes, the Model S is an alternative..and it's good for the environment.

wow, it looks fantastic!!! The front looks as something out of a Citroen, but way better. Amazing.

The mafia has been doing it for years. Four in the cabin, three in the trunk.

I'll believe the 300 miles to a charge when I actually SEE it (on a review obviously). Looks like they mated a Peugeot with a Jag. And unfortunately it doesn't work for me. It actually manages to look boring while trying too hard to NOT look boring. That rear seat looks hideously uncomfortable for anyone over 5'10" and 200lbs. If I was a lotto millionaire I'd buy one then stuff a large American/Australian or German V8 in it and call it a day. In this case a V8 can do a better job of making this worth buying. :D

And to the OP, comparing this to anything other than a current model executive saloon car is sort of retarded. Saying it is faster than a 1962 Ferrari--or anything made from 1962 is sort of like saying I can run faster at 31 years old than Andy Rooney does right now at 92.

Honestly, if I move to the Bay Area, I'd end up getting one of these when money would allow. I think I might be getting old :lol:

JCE
I'll believe the 300 miles to a charge when I actually SEE it (on a review obviously). Looks like they mated a Peugeot with a Jag. And unfortunately it doesn't work for me. It actually manages to look boring while trying too hard to NOT look boring. That rear seat looks hideously uncomfortable for anyone over 5'10" and 200lbs. If I was a lotto millionaire I'd buy one then stuff a large American/Australian or German V8 in it and call it a day. In this case a V8 can do a better job of making this worth buying. :D

And to the OP, comparing this to anything other than a current model executive saloon car is sort of retarded. Saying it is faster than a 1962 Ferrari--or anything made from 1962 is sort of like saying I can run faster at 31 years old than Andy Rooney does right now at 92.

Then you completely throw out the reason of buying one of these when you stuff a V8 in there.

To be honest, V8s had their fun. I think its time to show electric technology can mature and challenge conventional gas chuggers at their own game.

This is a great way of continuing the tech for electric cars.

Now a person can buy an electric car, and not look dorky or holier than though about it.

I'm impressed that they plan to produce 20,000 Model S's when they hit regular production in 2013 and 5,000 in 2012. Not only that, but the first 1,000 Model S and Model S Signatures will have the 300 mile battery pack.

And I agree with Sumbrown: gas engines are fun. There's nothing quite like the sound of a throaty V8 and I can promise gasoline powered cars will always be around, even if it's in the garages of collectors, 'cause we lovers of gas engines really are a dying breed. However, that said, it's cars like the Tesla Model S and Roadster that give us hope. When we first saw the likes of the Prius and Volt and other EVs, we cringed and feared that they'd all turn out to be ugly and wouldn't go very far...and then Tesla came along and said, "You don't have to sacrifice style and performance to be 'green.'" Tesla is the shining star in an otherwise bleak future for Electric Vehicles. Whether it's the stylish, very British-looking Model S, or the "we can beat a Ferrari" Roadster...Both cars make you think, "Hmmm....maybe there is hope for the electric car, yet."

BTW: for those who don't believe the 300mile range...Some guy in Texas already drove his last gen Roadster 347 miles on a single charge...so...Those ranges are most likely low.

The car looks fantastic! 👍

The only thing I was wondering was where the exhaust was, only afterwards did I remember that this is an electric car :dunce:

I love the look of this car! 👍 , I also loved the roadster...Tesla are a good car company in my eyes.

And I agree with Sumbrown: gas engines are fun. There's nothing quite like the sound of a throaty V8 and I can promise gasoline powered cars will always be around, even if it's in the garages of collectors, 'cause we lovers of gas engines really are a dying breed. However, that said, it's cars like the Tesla Model S and Roadster that give us hope. When we first saw the likes of the Prius and Volt and other EVs, we cringed and feared that they'd all turn out to be ugly and wouldn't go very far...and then Tesla came along and said, "You don't have to sacrifice style and performance to be 'green.'" Tesla is the shining star in an otherwise bleak future for Electric Vehicles. Whether it's the stylish, very British-looking Model S, or the "we can beat a Ferrari" Roadster...Both cars make you think, "Hmmm....maybe there is hope for the electric car, yet."

This.

All technologies evolve, its a case of change or die. The petrol engine has enjoyed sitting proudly at the forefront of personal transport for over a century, seemingly impervious to entropy.

Many people loath the idea of electric cars, because it seems like a step back in terms of technological performance, thankfully Tesla are demonstrating that moving to electric vehicles can be a step forward.

I'm am sceptical that the Tesla S in its current form will be able to match its petrol competitors in terms of price/performance although road tests will clear that up soon enough. Most current electric cars are about 30% more expensive than their competitors and definitely not as practical. The Tesla S looks the first car that looks like it makes reasonable economic sense and that is a big achievement.

Wow, only 50 grand? Am I the only one thinking that's a bargain?

The range is pretty decent too, in normal driving conditions it may last for 200-250 miles since no one drives like a grandma, it doesn't make it a full-on road stormer but provide enough juice for a whole week of commuting to work with relative ease. Not to mention it looks like an actual luxury car, the market acceptance will be tremendous provided that Tesla builds it with reasonable scale and quality standards.

Awesome car. 👍

Explain to me what they have in common, other then that they are similar sized sedans. I don't see it. One is over styled and ugly as sin, the other being simple and elegant.

The Sonata is so bloated and ugly, random lines and a deformed face. Everything is simple yet fresh on the Tesla.

When I first saw this I thought 'Maserati', I'm not seeing the link between it and a Sonata. For 50 grand, that's a bargain for what you get 👍 My only concern is how long those batteries last and how much they cost to replace, other than that it's an awesome car :D:tup:

/completely unbiased opinion

Back