Introducing the Tesla Model S

Am I the only one thinks the Model S posted in the original post looks like a straight Jaguar XK rip-off?

Looks fantastic, goes like stink (for a large, electric car with decent range, 5.6 to 60 is very fast) and is reasonably priced for what is a world apart from current anything we have now. Remember, a Leaf is hugely expensive for a hatch, with poor range, limited performance and questionable styling. For a top of the range, luxo-fast and (most importantly) a useable car, the prices seem ok to me. Way out of my bracket though.

Wasn't this car unveiled years ago?

Very nice looking car but Jaguar called and wants its design language back.

Interesting so they really are done making roadsters. Looks nice tho 👍

Nope, the Roadster's still in production and the Model S won't be in production until late 2012.

And, yes, it was announced a while ago (it's even on the Cool Wall already), but there was no real information on it. Now, we have information and we can build our own on the Tesla site. It's more official, now.

I have to give kudos to Tesla to managing to stay afloat, and yet crank out a new car in this economy when the big guys are still struggling.

I still believe in the eventual superiority of fuel-cells.

Which are used to run electric cars... And you still need an easy way to get and store hydrogen for those. And the issues they have in freezing temps.

Yeah, I guess they'll prevail some day. If nothing changes about batteries. Ever. :rolleyes:

model-s-screen-400.jpg

Yeah, it's a cool idea. But, one would think that could squeeze a few more miles out of the car if the battery wasn't taxed with running these displays. However, I assume they're low-energy displays...still...and I agree, it does make the dash look cluttered.

My worry isn't so much how the touchscreen looks, but how it works.

I know touchscreens can work brilliantly (step forward iPhone, iPad) but it's very different holding onto a device than it is touching a screen when you're driving along, where bumps in the road can make your touches occasionally inaccurate, and that's before you get to the fact that on a large touchscreen it's very difficult to accurately guess what you're pressing without actually taking time to look at the screen - i.e. with your eyes off the road.

Obviously it suits the high-tech image of the car, but I think I'd prefer some traditional buttons for some commands - or even, as BMW, Audi, Mercedes etc do, have a central mouse/joystick for controlling commands on the screen - a physical object you can interact with, but one that still doesn't clutter up the interior too much.

There's a Tesla Dealership across the street from the new McLaren and Fisker dealerships near me. I'll be paying them a visit soon to try sitting in one ;)

The appeal of the Fisker is different. Like the Chevy Volt, you can do a greater distance each journey because you've got the option of fuelling it normally.

Of course, the Fisker is also a more expensive vehicle than the Model S so comparing Fisker to Tesla is like comparing Volt to Leaf. Different buyers will select based on their requirements.

I'm not sure why you're comparing the Karma to the Tesla Roadster. They're completely different types of cars, and the Tesla is now essentially sold out so buyers won't be able to choose between the two. The Model S is much more a rival to the Karma.

Actually, I did a little digging and the guy who made the Karma (Henrik Fisker...AKA Dr. No.) originally designed the Model S and then, once he received his payment, promptly started Fisker and created the Karma. Tesla unsuccessfully sued Fisker for stealing trade secrets, but Fisker is as crafty as a Bond villain and since the Karma is a hybrid and NOT an electric, Tesla lost the case.

So...there is a HUGE rivalry between Fisker and Tesla.

Actually, I did a little digging and the guy who made the Karma (Henrik Fisker...AKA Dr. No.) originally designed the Model S and then, once he received his payment, promptly started Fisker and created the Karma. Tesla unsuccessfully sued Fisker for stealing trade secrets, but Fisker is as crafty as a Bond villain and since the Karma is a hybrid and NOT an electric, Tesla lost the case.

Interesting. This could be the Ferrari vs. Lamborghini of the future.

Or maybe Edison vs. Tesla :lol:

Regardless of any behind-the-scenes rivalry between the two companies, the Karma and Model S are not rival products. Not to mention that, until the post above, you'd been comparing the Karma with the Tesla Roadster, not the Model S.

Tesla lost the case because they didn't really have one. I still don't see where this odd dislike of Fisker the man or Fisker the product comes from. It's hardly like Elon Musk has rainbows coming out of his ass either.

In the long run it's probably good for Tesla if Fisker actually stole some trade secrets from them. The bigger the electric car industry gets, the sooner the support technology will develop (battery charging technology as well as infrastructure, etc)

About the car: It looks like a Jaguar. Which is good. I could buy a car like this in ten years or so when the infrastructure and my economy allows it :)

Regardless of any behind-the-scenes rivalry between the two companies, the Karma and Model S are not rival products. Not to mention that, until the post above, you'd been comparing the Karma with the Tesla Roadster, not the Model S.

Tesla lost the case because they didn't really have one. I still don't see where this odd dislike of Fisker the man or Fisker the product comes from. It's hardly like Elon Musk has rainbows coming out of his ass either.

Actually, they are. Fisker himself has said that he wants in on Tesla's turf. And by releasing a hybrid sports car that is a good $30,000 less than Tesla's current sports car, I'd say that's a direct challenge to Tesla. So...yeah. Hopefully, Fisker ends up being the modern Edison, 'cause Tesla kicked Edison's butt when it comes to innovations and impact on modern society. True, Edison helped popularize things like light bulbs, but he only used Direct Current, and it was Tesla's Alternating current that powers most light bulbs today...so...yeah. Plus, I don't trust a company that's run by a guy who looks like a bond villain...and has a name to match.

Actually, they are. Fisker himself has said that he wants in on Tesla's turf. And by releasing a hybrid sports car that is a good $30,000 less than Tesla's current sports car, I'd say that's a direct challenge to Tesla. So...yeah. Hopefully, Fisker ends up being the modern Edison, 'cause Tesla kicked Edison's butt when it comes to innovations and impact on modern society. True, Edison helped popularize things like light bulbs, but he only used Direct Current, and it was Tesla's Alternating current that powers most light bulbs today...so...yeah. Plus, I don't trust a company that's run by a guy who looks like a bond villain...and has a name to match.

Dat logic :rolleyes:

Dat logic :rolleyes:

I know, right? :rolleyes:

Actually, they are. Fisker himself has said that he wants in on Tesla's turf. And by releasing a hybrid sports car that is a good $30,000 less than Tesla's current sports car, I'd say that's a direct challenge to Tesla. So...yeah.

But it isn't. Are you ignoring everything I write or deliberately being obtuse?

Tesla Roadster - 2-seat, all-electric sports car. Now off sale. Was $100k ish.
Tesla Model S - 7-seat, all electric hatchback. Circa $50k.
Fisker Karma - 4-seat, range-extended hybrid luxury sedan. Circa $100k.

Firstly, you consistently get the prices wrong. Second, the Karma is a luxury, high-performance sedan. Not a sports car. It has nothing in common with the now sold-out Roadster (so it can't compete with that car anyway) other than the pricetag.

Thirdly, nobody is going to be choosing between a four-seat luxury hybrid and a 7-seat electric car at around half the price, or at least, nobody who can only afford the Tesla will be considering both, because if you have a budget for $50k you're unlikely to stretch it to double that. And if you're the sort of person who does long journeys, you're unlikely to go for the Tesla in the first place, even if it can do 200-odd miles. If you can afford it, you'll more likely pick the car that you can chuck some fuel in on the odd occasions you need to travel further.

Get the daft personal politics out of your head. Regardless of the turd-slinging going on between Musk and Fisker, the cars they currently sell do not compete.

Hopefully, Fisker ends up being the modern Edison, 'cause Tesla kicked Edison's butt when it comes to innovations and impact on modern society. True, Edison helped popularize things like light bulbs, but he only used Direct Current, and it was Tesla's Alternating current that powers most light bulbs today...so...yeah.

You've still not answered for me what your beef is with Fisker...

Plus, I don't trust a company that's run by a guy who looks like a bond villain...and has a name to match.

...apart from that, which is just pure, good old-fashioned dumb.

If those specs are true, 50 to 70K $ is really a good price for such a car.

I like it. Give me some money and I'll buy one.

Had a little search and couldn't find a dedicated thread for the Fisker Karma, but since we've been discussing it so colourfully in here...

My editor has had a drive in one, and reports on it here. Comes out pretty well. Clearly a unique take on luxury.

Still looks great too, though I now know what the front grilles remind me of:

2012-fisker-karma_100373130_l.jpg

anonymous-mask.png

:lol:

Now we just need to see what the Model S is like, when it arrives...

Wow. An electric car that doesn't actually look electric. That's a first.

My guess is it has the same problem as the Karma though. Good off the line, but no top-end bragging rights. So it only equals a Mercedes or BMW in status if you're an annoying person who likes to talk about being green.

And recharge times are still an issue.

My guess is it has the same problem as the Karma though. Good off the line, but no top-end bragging rights. So it only equals a Mercedes or BMW in status if you're an annoying person who likes to talk about being green.

Top-end is basically irrelevant for road cars, though. People who genuinely brag with each other about who's car has the highest speed are either racing drivers, which is fair enough, or members of Small Gentleman's Sausages Anonymous, with regards to road cars.

Depends. They don't seem to be an issue for people who actually own the cars, funnily enough. Only for those who talk about them on internet forums.

Wow. An electric car that doesn't actually look electric. That's a first.

Unless you live in Germany, and you don't, you have no need for 150mph.
Silly remarks about electric cars, stop it.

Like I said, it's status. The whole reason you buy a luxury car. The Tesla doesn't have it. Well, it has the annoying "I have a smaller carbon footprint than you do, NYAH" type of status, but... that's not really the type of status that gets you looked up to by the uninitiated. And those who actually know won't even regard you as green.

Plus, even if you never use the other cars' 155+ mph capability, the fact that the Tesla doesn't have it still makes it look inferior. Status again.

If status was the only reason people bought luxury cars, Mercedes would offer the V12 in the C-Class.

Amazingly enough, some people buy luxury cars for luxury.

Back