iRacing 2020 Season 2 Build Now Available: Adds Hell and Porsche 718 Cayman GT4

I'm mixed on the new 718 GT4, it is definitely a fun car to race, but it drives a lot like a good handling dump truck (yeah ). But... that seems to be par for the course as the 911 Cup Car isn't a lot different (fun but not a terribly good car), but all and all, my hopes for the 718 were a lot higher than the end result.

I'm mixed on the new 718 GT4, it is definitely a fun car to race, but it drives a lot like a good handling dump truck (yeah ). But... that seems to be par for the course as the 911 Cup Car isn't a lot different (fun but not a terribly good car), but all and all, my hopes for the 718 were a lot higher than the end result.

The 718 GT4 should be light and sharp to drive, agile, fun ... Some games make light cars feel like trucks...

The feel of iRacing is just completely wrong for a whole bunch of cars. I recognize what they've done with their multiplayer, long before anyone else, but even after all these years the physics just do not feel like driving an actual car. I mean, GT Sport's laptimes are closer to real life, and all the iRacing fans constantly insult it as "arcadey"...

My subscription is about to expire, and dont have enough funds to try the 718, so not going to comment on that but I do have to comment on @bduddy reply....
I'm not going to argue on which game/sim/platform has it right or wrong, as that is a never ending and frankly pointless argument... The thing I'm picking up on is that you use the word 'Feel' then compare lap times, they are two completely different things, you could program any game/sim/platform to limit lap times to those that are close to real life, that doesn't mean that particular game/sim/platform is correct either.

Sim racing is an each to their own type thing. I own, play and enjoy both, but if I had to pick only one... I would pick iRacing everyday of the week.

The physics on both are good, but neither is perfect or even close to perfect. That said, the physics on iRacing are definitely more realistic (and IMO, more consistent). But both have exploits. Both have ways to manipulate the game to find extra time. As iRacing's physics feel more consistent, its easier to lap faster. But again, that's my opinion.

As for the car, I've now tested on multiple tracks and feel that it is really responsive to setup changes (which is a good thing), but it may be too responsive. I'm having a hard time finding the point in setup that I feel is right. For example, too much rotation on entry... I'll adjust this or that by a click or two and now its numb again or vice versa.

Also the car completely and total is curb-phobic. I have BEEN COMPLETELY STOPPED by a small 2-4 inch curb. DEAD STOP, anchors down, full halt. I didn't check if there was slight damage to the car prior to hitting the curb, but regardless that made no sense honestly. So there's definitely work they need to do on it. The suspension hates bumps in general. I'd say its likely oversprung but you can only adjust the rear springs to one of two options (no front spring changes). So it will be very difficult for find a setup for tracks where you need to use curbs or are very bumpy.

I also think the car is too reluctant to turn on trail braking. I feel like I can improve this with the bias, but it still feels odd.

Bottomline, setup will be tricky on this car due to the inherent problems and limited adjustability. That said the car has character and is NOT easy to drive. It is by far, the most difficult to drive car on NTM7 cold tires (that I have driven). So just keeping it on track on the first two laps will likely yield a number of positions. I do like it, but its isn't what I was hoping for.

My subscription is about to expire, and dont have enough funds to try the 718, so not going to comment on that but I do have to comment on @bduddy reply....
I'm not going to argue on which game/sim/platform has it right or wrong, as that is a never ending and frankly pointless argument... The thing I'm picking up on is that you use the word 'Feel' then compare lap times, they are two completely different things, you could program any game/sim/platform to limit lap times to those that are close to real life, that doesn't mean that particular game/sim/platform is correct either.

Sim racing is an each to their own type thing. I own, play and enjoy both, but if I had to pick only one... I would pick iRacing everyday of the week.
Yes, "feel" and lap times are very separate issues. But iRacing fails on both accounts, in my opinion (well, the issue with lap times is objective fact).

The feel of iRacing is just completely wrong for a whole bunch of cars. I recognize what they've done with their multiplayer, long before anyone else, but even after all these years the physics just do not feel like driving an actual car. I mean, GT Sport's laptimes are closer to real life, and all the iRacing fans constantly insult it as "arcadey"...

I mean I think it was Lando Norris (or one of the other younger F1 drivers) recently calling Gran Turismo "the worst of all of them" when he was discussing F1 2019 and other games on his stream, seen the clip posted somewhere. It definitely seems like Rfactor 2 and iRacing are the only ones the real drivers take seriously. Never played GT Sport myself, I checked out when the PS4 wasn't going to support my G27 and stuck to PC.

Even if GT Sport is a significant improvement over GT6 it'd take a massive leap to get anywhere near Assetto Corsa, iRacing, Rfactor 2 etc on the PC for driving realism, laptimes can be fudged so that's not really relevant to the realism in terms of feel/behaviour.

I mean I think it was Lando Norris (or one of the other younger F1 drivers) recently calling Gran Turismo "the worst of all of them" ...

Even if GT Sport is a significant improvement over GT6 it'd take a massive leap to get anywhere near Assetto Corsa, iRacing, Rfactor 2 etc on the PC for driving realism, laptimes can be fudged so that's not really relevant to the realism in terms of feel/behaviour.

I actually disagree. I thought the F1 games were terrible at simulating. That said, I haven't tried 2019, but if they still have un-catchable slides I still stand by that. I hated how the system went in to a garden variety slide once a point was met a basically didn't matter what you did on the wheel from that point to the stop of the car. I never fully liked Asseto Corsa, but haven't played ACC. AC just had a weird feel to me. It didn't have a natural FOV and corners took on a weird shape. That said ACC looks to be a solid step up so I'll leave an asterisk next to it. GT Sport lacks in a few areas of realism as it has very hard limits on its hardware. Areas like accurate curb modeling, and DRS like slipstream are it's Achilles heel. But that said, it does very well with the limited resources. IMO, it felt the most natural of all the games I've driven bar one, iRacing.

But like you said, lap times are totally irrelevant. Unless there is a standard in physics, lap times can be moves up and down the scale at will.

I actually disagree. I thought the F1 games were terrible at simulating. That said, I haven't tried 2019, but if they still have un-catchable slides I still stand by that. I hated how the system went in to a garden variety slide once a point was met a basically didn't matter what you did on the wheel from that point to the stop of the car. I never fully liked Asseto Corsa, but haven't played ACC. AC just had a weird feel to me. It didn't have a natural FOV and corners took on a weird shape. That said ACC looks to be a solid step up so I'll leave an asterisk next to it. GT Sport lacks in a few areas of realism as it has very hard limits on its hardware. Areas like accurate curb modeling, and DRS like slipstream are it's Achilles heel. But that said, it does very well with the limited resources. IMO, it felt the most natural of all the games I've driven bar one, iRacing.

But like you said, lap times are totally irrelevant. Unless there is a standard in physics, lap times can be moves up and down the scale at will.

FOV is something you have to set, corners will definitely take on a weird shape if you don't set it right. If you say set the FOV in Rfactor 2 and AC both to 55 they are both gonna be exactly the same, the defaults in both games are different though. Rfactor 2 I've struggled with, since the content is really hit and miss and the default setups for cars can sometimes be downright nightmarish, I also spend a lot of time messing with the brakes because I struggle to get any brake feel or consistency. In AC/iRacing I don't seem to struggle with the brakes anywhere near as much, though I do overestimate the rear grip more often in them compared to RF2.

They all have their quirks, the things that I prefer about iRacing and AC is that the quality of the content (tracks/cars) are just consistently much higher, and that level of consistent polish makes it more enjoyable for me, the default setups are generally way better too so it's easier to fire it up and drive.

Can't say about F1 games, last one I played was the F1 2016 closed beta, I had fun with it but it didn't reward typical sim racing style driving technique or logic, you kinda had to abandon that and learn to be fast with its particular quirks, that and the wheel feel was a bit too wishy washy.. 2011 was the last one I really played, loved that but it was never a "sim" game. The F1 drivers mention that the F1 codies games aren't realistic too, but Gran Turismo was raised in that discussion as being the worst, I honestly have no idea.

I know...Necro'd, but I thought this could be responded to...

I was kind of iffy on the 718 but then I got in with a few in my league and we teamed up for the 24 Hours of Nurburgring. We used the 718 GT4. I was the worst driver of the four in my team and I was worried I would have issues. We had two of the guys set up the car and we practiced. During practices I could not go four laps without an "x".

In the race I ran a total of 70 laps. I had one spin and a total of 7 "x" points after that time.

The car is a bit of a dump truck until you get used to it, after you are used to it it is easy to drive.

In the longer term, after getting used to it... it is fun to drive and race. But its still not the nimble track day car I believe it should have been. But I am in no way sorry to have bought the car. One of the better purchases in the game. Now, if it only had a better shock package to work with... The Cup car rides better and that thing leaves a lot to be desired in dampening characteristics.

Latest Posts

Back