iracing.com

• Thread starter red7
  • 21,570 comments
I'm grooming my nephew (7 years old) to become the greatest virtual racer ever

He's much better then the kid at 5:00 in that video

He can drive a Ferrari F40 with standard physics around Daytona Speedway in GT5P with no racing line, all AIDS off, and cockpit view. Never comes close to hitting the wall and does well picking his way through traffic

i dont know, it has to put both LFS & realfeel ISI physics to utter shame for it to be worth the monthly price

Personally, I think it need only match those physics-wise. Should the laser-scanned tracks and overall sanctioning play out as they hope, it will be a haven for those seeking clean, competitive and serious online racing. That's what they're selling.

Time will tell!

EDIT

Great timing... the NDA for beta testers just got lifted this evening. So, yes, the physics are indeed fantastic (LFS fans will be pleased). This will not be a sim for casual users, nor will it be marketed as such. The beta was filled with top sim-racers from around the world, and plenty of real-world top drivers as well.

Want to race against Dale Earnhardt Jr. on a road course? Join iRacing. :)

Low res screenshot teaser I took at VIR:

vir_skippy.jpg

hehe, me too? don't you have to pay anyways, even if you get an invite?

Yes, this is an invite to join the initial paid public release. They're opening up iRacing in stages for the time being.

Should anyone be interested in an invite to join up, PM me with your request and I'll let you know what I need to get you on the list for getting started next week. I'm going to save about five invites for GTP members, two of which are spoken for above. :)

i'm still saving up for a new pc, but i'll probably try iRacing around the end of the year or beginning of 2009 :). it does look like tons of fun. i'd love to try throwing the solstice around VIR or Limerock :).

some screenshots

KartRacer
Mazda-5.jpg

Mazda-1.jpg

Mazda4.jpg

Skippy-1.jpg

Radical-2.jpg

Some people in the sim-racing community have been asking for something with more realistic tracks,more realistic cars, a more organized way of racing and competing online and for a service that will allow for continued development of software. While others have been turned away by existing sim's because of their wreckers,people not racing, a lack of organization online, fictional tracks, cars,tires, setup options, a confusing mis-mash of varying quality mod's and their constant updates causing mismatches and dilution of the community and the frustration and or lose of a potential/existing sim-racer.

Yeah, I could have used better punctuation there

This is what a lot of people have been looking for, most of them assuming you cannot ask for a lot more with out paying more. Others were content with what the have and they should continue to be.

I love LFS as well as iRacing, but don't rip on it unless you try it and don't bitch about not being able to afford it if you rank other "extras" in your life more financially important. Then its NOT FOR YOU, sad, oh well!

I hope to see you try it, and enjoy it as much as I have.

If this has physics on par with LFS and reasonably good graphics, then it'll be completely worth it. I've always dreamed of having LFS with real cars and real tracks, and this *might* be it.

i am still surprised some things are left out like pitting... I dont have the money for iRacing anyways, but maybe by the time i do, the game will have advanced a bit more and have more important things like Pitting, racing groove, marbles, and rain. i dont know if its possible to damage the of tranny, engine, suspension, or aerodynamics and have it affect the car's performance. i saw a video of a crash, and then the car became difficult to drive...

http://www.kolumbus.fi/martin.bror/crusse/iso/sols_lime_wreck.avi

i am still surprised some things are left out like pitting... I dont have the money for iRacing anyways, but maybe by the time i do, the game will have advanced a bit more and have more important things like Pitting, racing groove, marbles, and rain. i dont know if its possible to damage the of tranny, engine, suspension, or aerodynamics and have it affect the car's performance. i saw a video of a crash, and then the car became difficult to drive...

Damage definitely has an impact on performance in iRacing, and pitting is coming once longer races are implemented. The current available series are all sprints, thus no pitting necessary.

If this has physics on par with LFS and reasonably good graphics, then it'll be completely worth it. I've always dreamed of having LFS with real cars and real tracks, and this *might* be it.

You're in luck, as the feel is more LFS than rFactor. The past month with iRacing has actually gotten me back into LFS a bit, fictional tracks aside.

It's a shame this game is ridiculous expensive. I don't care how good the physics are, $160 a year for 2 cars and a handfull tracks and some online services is just :ouch:.

It's a shame this game is ridiculous expensive. I don't care how good the physics are, $160 a year for 2 cars and a handfull tracks and some online services is just :ouch:.

For those $156 a year, you get a bonus $60 to buy cars and tracks 💡

(and an additional $15 if you subscrive a year package before the end of August).

Yes, true, but as far as I know, you still have to renew your subscription fee every year. You should be able to keep the things you bought => basic pack + cars and tracks. This sounds more like lending game software instead of buying a game. And from what I read on other fora, it isn't even that good (iRacing I mean). In my opinion it is a rip off, a swindle.

It is the same as buying a blue-ray game of which the DVD destroys itself after one year and you have to buy the game (DVD) again if you want to play it again after a year.

Yes, true, but as far as I know, you still have to renew your subscription fee every year. You should be able to keep the things you bought => basic pack + cars and tracks. This sounds more like lending game software instead of buying a game. And from what I read on other fora, it isn't even that good (iRacing I mean). In my opinion it is a rip off, a swindle.

It is the same as buying a blue-ray game of which the DVD destroys itself after one year and you have to buy the game (DVD) again if you want to play it again after a year.
It is a subscription service, and works out to about $13 per month. Annual subscribers receive credits that can be applied against future purchases, and when you purchase an additional track/car, you don't have to re-buy it. In fact, should you cancel and re-join, that content will still be available.

It's not for everyone, but it's also unlike anything else on the PC sim market.

As for other forums reporting a "not that good" review, most are in fact praising it very highly, including folks over in the LFS forums and RaceSimCentral.

The vehicle physics combined with track look and feel (thanks to laser-scanning) are the best I've ever experienced, and make it very hard to go back to other sims.

That sounds better than I thought.

• Do you know if this sim is compatible with SoftTH software or the Matrox triple head 2go, digital version?
  • Do you know what kind of pc (specifications) you need to run this sim at 60fps?
You have to be able to play a sim like that on 3 monitors. Or is it possible to adjust the POV/FOV ingame so that you can create a peripheral view, similar to a triple monitor setup?

That sounds better than I thought.

• Do you know if this sim is compatible with SoftTH software or the Matrox triple head 2go, digital version?
  • Do you know what kind of pc (specifications) you need to run this sim at 60fps?
You have to be able to play a sim like that on 3 monitors. Or is it possible to adjust the POV/FOV ingame so that you can create a peripheral view, similar to a triple monitor setup?
There's device support and system spec info in this FAQ thread @ RSC.

Be sure to check out some of my YouTube vids (some in high quality) for a little taste of the sim. :) (YouTube looks to be down at the moment, LOL)

I think I'm gonna wait a year from now to see where this game goes. I may change my mind if I get a more decent paying job or if something great comes out for iRacing before then.

For me it's been worth every penny, and it's only going to get better as they make improvements and add content. Daytona prototypes and Barber Motorsport Park are on the way.

I even got to race with AJ Allmendinger the other day. He's fast.

The price is high, but if it helps to ensure the continued improvements and support for this product then I think it makes sense.

I'm getting interested but I'm going to wait like Gabkicks. I'm not, as of yet, interested in the online part, only in the offline, practice part of the game. Maybe I'll be interested in the online part if I don't have the same lag problems as I have with GT5p, and if the online gamers are more mature.

Another reason; I'm waiting for news on Blimey!games's 2 new sims. If these are worth while and not released on the PS3, I'll have to get a new pc. If so, I'll have to know what specifications this new pc would have to have to play these 2 new sims at a steady 60fps. I guess that the specification needed for iRacing are not as high as for the Blimey!games sims.

I'm not interested in "supporting" iRacing finacially. It's a company and so the only thing they want is making money, like any other developer. If you want to support iRacing than you can support all the game developers.

iRacing is online only, so no AI racing. Just practice, time-trials, qualifying and racing based on individual series schedules. It’s all very organized, but definitely aimed at getting people to race together and (once the rankings sort out a bit) with drivers of similar skill levels.

This is absolutely nothing like GT5p online (or even the more robust online racing aspects of other sims). Nothing at all. iRacing has a sporting code, with penalties for poor driving (wrecks, spins, “offs”, etc.) as well as a reporting system for serious offenses. Lag is dealt with very well by dedicated servers for all events, not assigned host connections.

Again, this is a very serious sim focused on sanctioned competition with other sim drivers and is not for everyone. The best thing anyone on the fence can do right now is do more research on the sim and wait until the full public release for a chance to try it out for a month for $20.

For reference on performance, I’m running nearly full graphics settings with no framerate issues at 60fps on a box very similar to the $900 “Crysis Challenge” box specs.

In terms of supporting iRacing financially… they’re a long ways from turning a profit. Over $18 million is estimated to have been spent during the multi-year development.

How well do you think a C2D E6400 and 8800GT would run this game? Possible to run at 1920x1200 resolution? I don't know how demanding this game is so that's why I'm asking.

Practice and time trials is all I want at the moment. 90% of the time I play GT5p and (use to play GTL) is/was practice sessions. I did some online racing in GTL too but not that much.

How well do you think a C2D E6400 and 8800GT would run this game? Possible to run at 1920x1200 resolution? I don't know how demanding this game is so that's why I'm asking.

you should have absolutely no problem. I just got my new pc today :D i'll post pics when i find my camera

Do you have to pay for that dedicated server thing in iRacing?
Yes, it's part of the subscription price. $13-$20 per month (depending on length of subscription) gets you access to the sim. There's additional one-time charges for purchasing new cars or tracks. I would estimate that a full year will likely run around $200 with necessary car/track upgrades to compete in the multiple non-rookie series.

Again, i stress that this is not for everyone, but it's worth trying out for a single month ($20) if you're serious about sim-racing.

Back