iRacing Paint Schemes Thread

• Thread starter RACECAR
  • 1,723 comments
And today's work in progress:

Mad_Crock_Vette.jpg

Fredrik Follestad is the man from what I can tell! I love his skins

Good paints Jav!

Btw, I figured out how to surf tradingpaints.com directory and pick a skin. When you wave your mouse over the painter's name you'll get a customer ID.tga

Simply open up your directory and find the skin then rename to your customer ID. The awkard part though is uploading this skin cause you have to provide a screenshot, etc. This is why it seems like I end up making my own skins still. Plus there is the part you're supposed to acquire permission to use the skin. I dont even know how to PM someone on iRacing's website (just found it at the forums! -edit)

I must say TradingPaints has awful docs through and through. Just solved this part just now

Last edited:
So how do you guys make symmetrical Liveries? I'm talking on Photoshop. It seems really complicated.

Trial and error my friend! My first decent skin probably took me a good 5 hrs to finish, I am not a good skiner by any means but I can line up everything relatively quick after much practice. I learned to use the wire structure and it makes it so much easier!

So how do you guys make symmetrical Liveries? I'm talking on Photoshop. It seems really complicated.

Well, it's pretty difficult with photoshop alone. If you had illustrator you could do it fairly easily. But it's extra difficult in photoshop because the layers pallet is just a jumble. So yes, trial and error like Jav said.

Below is a skin made by Danny Bouwes (see his Showroom thread at iRacing). I've been using it on my HPD

iracingsim2011120311094.jpg

Below is the updated version of my Riley DP skin:

iracingsim2011112300064.jpg

Danny is a great guy, great painter too! He's got some nicely done skins on his garage!
The Riley is looking good! I like it!

6477753173_ef0b920d1d_z.jpg

This is a current work in progress - going to stick around in the rookie series for afew weeks to get my iRating and license rating up. So thought why not create an MX5 paint scheme.

Also, does any body know of any where with an easy to understand guide on which part of the car does what?

Also does anybody else find it annoying that some parts of the skin touch others, and when you want to quickly select one panel it selects 3 or 4 more!

6477780965_de9920758c_z.jpg

Here is my first ever skin - just a basic texture applied and added afew sponsor logos.

6477780965_de9920758c_z.jpg

Here is my first ever skin - just a basic texture applied and added afew sponsor logos.

hey man!. I actually could not even tell that this was iracing. I thought this was real life lol.....then i saw your comment about being your first skin....

Also, does any body know of any where with an easy to understand guide on which part of the car does what?

While I'm not aware of any guides myself, maybe I could modify some templates with labels to help you better understand what part goes where.

Also does anybody else find it annoying that some parts of the skin touch others, and when you want to quickly select one panel it selects 3 or 4 more!

I had that problem the first few times I painted. What program do you use? If you have Photoshop, I've got a way to help you out with that.

RACECAR
While I'm not aware of any guides myself, maybe I could modify some templates with labels to help you better understand what part goes where.

If you would be so mind to do that for the Mazda MX5 Roadster, I would be very grateful. Gonna run this car for awhile so wanna give it a scheme.

RACECAR
I had that problem the first few times I painted. What program do you use? If you have Photoshop, I've got a way to help you out with that.

It is Photoshop which I use. Tried using the wire frame but always end up just having loads of individual blocks selected.

That looks pretty sweet dax! But i order to get the rollcage and mirrors to come up in the proper colors you need to move the mirrors and rollcage channels down to the bottom under the main body color channel.

Jav
That looks pretty sweet dax! But i order to get the rollcage and mirrors to come up in the proper colors you need to move the mirrors and rollcage channels down to the bottom under the main body color channel.

Maybe I like purple? :sly:

Seriously, thanks for the advice! Only been playing iRacing for a day, and attempting to make my own car skin was the 1st thing I needed to attempt.

Looks pretty good but I'm seeing a bit too much open space. Maybe you could add more sponsers or something.

Working on a gulf version right now, and then I may work on a better castrol one. I see what you mean, it looks plain and untidy too.

Can't wait to make a Marlboro Skippy :D

Last edited:
Well keep on posting pics as you update it. I know my Riley DP skin is a work-in-progress. Whenever I hit a major milestone I show off the progress

Well keep on posting pics as you update it. I know my Riley DP skin is a work-in-progress. Whenever I hit a major milestone I show off the progress

Will do, I just started on a Gulf livery for my MX5, not sure if it's worth posting as it's rather simple... :D

It is Photoshop which I use. Tried using the wire frame but always end up just having loads of individual blocks selected.

One thing I recommend is use the Marquee Tool, it'll allow you to paint the area you want without it bleeding into an area you don't want.

Special delivery for Magzire, your car is ready!

Ferrari2.jpg

Ferrari3.jpg

If you want anything changed just let me know!

Back