iRacing Technical Thread

• Thread starter hampus_dh
  • 36 comments

hampus_dh

(Banned)
Posted this in General iR thread,

Did a check on my Nvidia settings, decided to play around with AA.
How i did it:

Took a Q lap i had of the Ford GT on Silverstone, started FPS counter at start/finish line then let it run for a lap.

I only used cockpit view and with these settings,
http://img4.uploadhouse.com/fileuploads/13920/13920833df81bf0f234f4d71fe04f88e13c68663.jpg
http://img3.uploadhouse.com/fileuploads/13920/13920836f3582b54b73bee27b10053ea525b0b72.jpg

These are the results. I actually thought it would differ more then this :)

___________MIN - MAX - AVG___________
  • 8x AA - 103 - 174 - 134
  • 8xQ AA - 98 - 174 - 131
  • 16x AA - 99 - 175 - 128
  • 16xQ AA 100 - 170 - 133
  • 32x AA - 104 - 174 - 135

Crazy that 32x AA can run as good as 8x AA :) I guess AA is something the cards take care of, hence the no loss in performance.

Post will be updated with TV cameras of all,

TV3 Camera,

___________MIN - MAX - AVG___________
  • ..8x AA - 71 - 163 - 108
  • 8xQ AA - 74 - 176 - 113
  • 16x AA - 69 - 169 - 108
  • 16xQ AA 73 - 176 - 112
  • 32x AA - 75 - 177 - 113

For some reason i actually get better performance with 32x then any other except 8xQ. I guess i´ll keep it a 32x :)
----------------------------------------------

Sampling test with 32x AA,

__________MIN - MAX - AVG__________
  • ....Off - 76 - 183 - 114
  • MultiS - 72 - 170 - 109
  • 4x SS - 75 - 177 - 113
  • 8x SS - 69 - 169 - 109

Seems like 4x Supersampling is a good option.

Btw, this is a technical thread so post up your questions if you have any :)

Last edited:
The damping is the rate at which the wheel returns, it also seems to affect how hard it is to turn too. If it's set to 0 the wheel is super light and returns quickly as if it were on gt5 whereas 100 is super rock hard which makes it hard to control of you are sliding.

Before they added it I think my game was at around 62, or at least that's what it feels like to me. It's just right for me, doesn't return quickly but isn't hard to control.

There's a good tool for adjusting the FFB that was posted a while back in the forums. It's mainly to see if your wheel is clipping, which can happen if you set your FFB too high, but it also sugests an ideal FFB value depending on the track and car you're using.

http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/1613166.page

thanks guys 👍

I have been talking to my buddy (he is my geek squad ) about building a tower for PC games, mainly IRACING. He looked and came up with a system that will run IRACING and Battlefield 3 easily for $570. I'm going to take a look at it more and I'll prob will be ordering it this week.

I would love to see a 570$ pc run battlefield 3 easily. Something tells me though that, this might be a little to good to be true.

I would love to see a 570$ pc run battlefield 3 easily. Something tells me though that, this might be a little to good to be true.

it's just the tower, no monitor, keyboard, mouse.

just the tower to be plugged into the tv.

bevo

It can be done if you know what your doing and get some deals on hardware.

It can be done with around 500 to 600 Australian too, good parts are fairly cheap these days. I may be upgrading soon at around that budget.

It can be done if you know what your doing and get some deals on hardware.

I wish I could have found some of those deals a few months ago. I built one to run the new games near full detail, and it was way more the 500-600$, and that wasn't including a monitor, mouse, keyboard, and cables. Once you get your pc together I could really use a list of what you used for it. I have a friend wanting to upgrade soon, but he is wanting to do it slowly because he thinks he will have to spend a fortune on it.

I wish I could have found some of those deals a few months ago. I built one to run the new games near full detail, and it was way more the 500-600$, and that wasn't including a monitor, mouse, keyboard, and cables. Once you get your pc together I could really use a list of what you used for it. I have a friend wanting to upgrade soon, but he is wanting to do it slowly because he thinks he will have to spend a fortune on it.

so far this is what my buddy has showed me, right now we are talking about duel cards, but that has to be 100% hand picked with no starter kit (and more money)

http://www.tigerdirect.com/sectors/...4-0BDC-4785-ADF5-8858DCE54684&SRCCODE=WEBWISH

ok it is more then $570, not much more

my buddy built his own computer (think it was around $700 in all), and the thing is nasty. When the fans turn on it sounds like a jet is coming through the room lol

Last edited:
bevo

Slowly is the best way. Look for deals and sales. Craigslist can be good too if you don't mind a used part or two. You can get great stuff dirt cheap on there sometimes.

I Recently just purchased a Power supply, graphics card (6970) and 3 22" monitors with an active dvi cable and I spent $1000. My bro works at a computer shop and got it all a lil cheaper, it runs iracing at an average 80fps. Not sure what CPU I had though, although I know it isn't the best. I can see 600ish working as long as it is a good deal.

so far this is what my buddy has showed me, right now we are talking about duel cards, but that has to be 100% hand picked with no starter kit (and more money)

http://www.tigerdirect.com/sectors/...4-0BDC-4785-ADF5-8858DCE54684&SRCCODE=WEBWISH

my buddy built his own computer (think it was around $700 in all), and the thing is nasty. When the fans turn on it sounds like a jet is coming through the room lol

please keep us updated here since im also looking on building a new pc all by myself configuring it online!

I'd take a second and really think about things before buying that. For the price its not a bad machine at all but you should consider your future plans for it as well. With that setup, if you ever want to move up to a higher end graphics card you'll also have to upgrade the power supply. Sometimes it's better to spend a little more initially so that upgrades are easier/cheaper down the line. Or you could just do the same thing and buy another 600 dollar machine in a year or two (whenever its not cutting it anymore).

Agreed, you definitely need a more powerful power supply unit. For that spec, I would be looking at a 650-700W minimum. Also, no HDD, DVD drive or wifi card?

Well that bundle appears to have a HD and an optical drive, and the mobo has built in ethernet, but the graphics card recommends a minimum 400 watt power supply. With a 450 watter you'll be cutting it close and it definitely wont be at peak power efficiency haha.

please keep us updated here since im also looking on building a new pc all by myself configuring it online!

will do, I will prob start buying the parts this week or next and my buddy will put it together. I will update once I decide which way I'll be going with it and when I start ordering parts 👍

I'd take a second and really think about things before buying that. For the price its not a bad machine at all but you should consider your future plans for it as well. With that setup, if you ever want to move up to a higher end graphics card you'll also have to upgrade the power supply. Sometimes it's better to spend a little more initially so that upgrades are easier/cheaper down the line. Or you could just do the same thing and buy another 600 dollar machine in a year or two (whenever its not cutting it anymore).

Agreed, you definitely need a more powerful power supply unit. For that spec, I would be looking at a 650-700W minimum. Also, no HDD, DVD drive or wifi card?

Well that bundle appears to have a HD and an optical drive, and the mobo has built in ethernet, but the graphics card recommends a minimum 400 watt power supply. With a 450 watter you'll be cutting it close and it definitely wont be at peak power efficiency haha.

thank you very much, I'll be sure to point that out to him 👍

Update

The website ran out of the 6 core starter build, so my buddy looked around more and I told him "since the setup we were going to do sold out, do what ever you want just keep it under $1000" lol.

The new setup will be better, but it is looking at around $850 now. I'm kinda pissed that kit sold out (good power at a decent price), but O well I'm just going to let my buddy come up with something.

what I ordered, I went with a higher end graphics card so that jumped the price up a lot. total with shipping is $900, lol that graphics card really kicked my %$*&^ lol.

SONY Black SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model DDU1681S-0B
Item #:N82E16827118031
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
$16.99
EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti FPB (Fermi) 01G-P3-1561-AR Video Card
Item #:N82E16814130604
Return Policy: VGA Standard Return Policy
$254.99

COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP Black Computer Case With Side Panel Window
Item #: N82E16811119196

GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 ATX AMD Motherboard
Item #: N82E16813128521

COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M700 RS-700-AMBA-D3 700W Power Supply
Item #: N82E16817171037

AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz, 3.7GHz Turbo Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor
Item #: N82E16819103913
Return Policy: CPU Replacement Only Return Policy

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory
Item #: N82E16820231455
Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy

HITACHI Deskstar 7K3000 1.5TB 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Item #: N82E16822145520

COOLER MASTER Hyper N 520 RR-920-N520-GP 92mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Intel Core i7 compatible
Item #: N82E16835103057

My PC specs are below. Triples screens too! :)

Asus GeForce GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card (x2)

Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor

MSI P67A-GD65 Intel P67 (socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard - (Sandybridge) ** B3 REVISION

Crucial RealSSD M4 64GB 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Hard Drive

XFX Pro 750W Core Edition Power Supply

Microsoft Windows 7 Bundle - Home Premium 64 Bit

Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 6Gb/s 16MB Cache

Kingston HyperX Genesis Grey 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit

22x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter

...I've just added another 4GB of RAM for no other reason apart from that it's so cheap at the moment 👍

Hydralic brake is the best ;) Loadcell next, pontentio meter last ;)
Just buy the loadcell and you´ll see what i´m talking about :)

It´s like night and day,

Back