Irohazaka Road

side_winder_9
irohazaka.jpg

iroha-zaka%2Broad%2Bjapan%2B48%2Bcurves.jpg

60676842.jpg

IMG_7372.jpg

https://www.google.com/maps/preview...4985859,14z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m4!4m3!1m0!1m0!3e0

Nikko Irohazaka is a one-way road climbing and descending the Iroha Slope near the city of Nikko, Japan in Tochigi Prefecture. The downhill half of this course was featured in the Manga and Anime Initial D. The entire loop consists of both uphill and downhill sections, including a tunnel section and a 2-way street connecting the two roads. It would be great to have another large course represented in this game with aggressive hairpin corners.

I searched this section, and couldn't find anything in Irohozaka, so I guess I'll start this.

Irohozaka is a touge that is located Japan. It is unique compared to other Japanese touge due to having separate uphill and downhill routes....which, make a loop :)

Here's a few pictures of the road. I'm not sure about all the pictures, but the second pic is of the downhill, and I do know that the bridge in the bottom picture is near the top of the uphill route.

matyupityu_irohazaka.jpg

IrohazakaNikko.jpg

183147634_e71fe51d90_b1.jpg

Edit:
Video of uphill section

Video of the downhill section. I think this is from Initial D

And here's a track map created by @Cerebus
IrohaSlopes.png

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're suggesting Road 2 - that's more superficial given the road's width. But if you're referring to Road 1, the one showcased in Initial D, you're better off keeping that as a dream. It's nearly impossible to be considered a course for racing other than TA since its relevant road width is similar to the Goodwood Hillclimb.

That last picture.......
IS ONE OF THE MOST AMAZING ROADS I'VE EVER SEEN!!! edit: It was removed, too bad it wasn't Irohazaka, though I'd love to drive on whatever road that was.
edit: this has been suggested twice. Here and here.

I'm all for this, it has some amazing scenery. Though, if the course editor turns out really nicely, we'll be able to make our own great touge tracks.

edit: reposted the video a few posts down.

Last edited:
That last picture.......
IS ONE OF THE MOST AMAZING ROADS I'VE EVER SEEN!!!
Now, here's a video of someone driving up it at a decent pace... in a Vitz... with snow tyres. :P
edit: this has been suggested twice. Here and here.

Great video!!

So, I figured out that spiral bridge in the last pic isn't Irohozaka, so I removed it from the OP.

That picture is actually of a road in China called Tianmenshan Mountain. Here's a link to its suggestion thread.
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/tianmenshan-mountain.304361/#post-9485390

Also, thanks for finding those other threads...my search skills failed me :dunce: Do you, or does anyone else, know how to go about getting a mod to merge these threads?

If you're suggesting Road 2 - that's more superficial given the road's width. But if you're referring to Road 1, the one showcased in Initial D, you're better off keeping that as a dream. It's nearly impossible to be considered a course for racing other than TA since its relevant road width is similar to the Goodwood Hillclimb.
Wait, what is the GT Arena for then? Time attack?

I've tried playing this so much on ID:ES, and I always mess up the gearing. Would love to see this in GT.

Pretty cool course but anybody heard of and Dragon's Tail, Turnbull Canyon (most of you should know this map actually) and Transfagarasan before? I know for a fact that Transfagarasan is longer than this. I prefer short courses unfortunately like Milk Rd. Touge (aka Ueo Katsuhiro's home course)

Holy **** the scenery is just amazing! Also, just imagine the Type C Streamliner or the Tank Car on it because of the sharp turns :P

Maybe they'll call this course "Romantic Highway" since its official name is Japan Romantic Highway.

I also hear there's the Embassy of Italy on top of the hill, maybe it can have some tie-in with Italian manufacturers :P

Ahh I just want to see this a reality!!

I've actually seen this place featured on the PS2 game Tokyo Xtreme Racer Drift 2.

I have fond memories of Tokyo Xtreme Racer Drift, I'd love to see the Hill Climb and Downhill sections come to GT!

Dear PD,

Please use what's in your Backyard. What's there is actually really nice. Plus it's convenient for you.

Sincerely,
A GT Player wishing for Japan Mountain roads and point-to-points

Back