Is a Thrustmaster TGT 2 a large improvement over T300 for GT7?

Australia
Australia
I'm looking to upgrade my T300RS to the TGT 2 and I'm wondering how much better the force feedback is for GT 7... I will play other games on ps5, such as F1, the two Assetto Corsas and rally games, however GT7 is far and away my main game so the upgrade consideration is based primarily on Gran Turismo.

I just got my TG-2 on Monday coming from a T300. Its not a HUGE upgrade but it is definitely a much better wheelbase. The FFB is much smoother and the base has a better cooling system so you don't need to be as worried about it over heating. The transducer effect I find to be very subtle and a little lacking though, so if you're looking at the TG 2 because of that effect, you may be a little let down. The pedals are apparently very similar internally to the T3PA that come with the T300, but I find the TG2 pedals WAY better. the bigger faceplates of the pedals is a game changer for me

On the PC however, I find it to be a night and day difference between the two wheels. On American and Euro Truck sims, Automobilista 2, Assetto Corsa, Assetto Corsa Competizione, RaceRoom, Dirt Rally 2 the wheel feels awesome. it is just so much smoother and pleasant to use.

Ive never used a DD wheel so I cant compare to that, but the price for the TG2 is certainly very steep for what it is. I only stayed with Thrustmaster because I have invested some cash into their eco system with new wheel rims and whatnot.

Overall, its not a definitive upgrade, but more a side/up grade. Better, but not $1200aud better.

Hard question. Tgt2 is better, smoother and stronger. I suggest the bundle without pedals and instead the tlcm. Transducer is subtle, I feel gear shifts on the pedals on wheel stand pro.

In other games on ps5 like assetto corsa or dirt rally the FFB is powerful. It is really strong.

But it also overheats and ffb fades after longer sessions. They've spent 23 000 hours improving the wheel and still the same issue...
T300 overheated after 15 minutes - ffb completely gone
Tgt2 overheats after 1,5 hours without brakes- ffb weaker but still there.

Oldish post so late reply. But someone will stumble here like I did.

So I got my tgt 2 today. Had t300 for few years.

Just got only the base and stuck my t300 rim on it. Also pairing it with tlcm pedals.

Ps5 and gran turismo 7.

Ingame settings (as suggested) are the same for t300 and tgt2 and ive been driving a lot the past week with t300.

First impression for tgt2 was okay. Its smoother and stronger but in a way that i didnt feel the need to decrease ffb torque. Maybe even increase by one tick for some fun.

After few hours i started to understand the transducer more.

To keep it short. Transducer enchances mostly under/oversteer effects by varying force. It also gives constant humming on the wheel that varies mostly based on engine revs. But it does take in account more stuff like grip.

Fun fact: if you stop the car and put neutral, hold clutch or break so you can rev the engine while stopped. I noticed the transducer reacts to revs AND it varies by each vehicle and reacts based on the rev count.

TLDR: I would advice to spin gt7 around with dualsense controller. You get very good general idea about the rumble effects that tgt2 provides.

To end the wall of text I will add my ingame settings for gt7. FFB Torque 4. FFB Sensitivity 2. Vibration strenght 150 (this is under options>controllers>vibration function. According to Thrustmaster). Controller steering sensitivity 5.

Worth the upgrade? Yes if you are serious about gran turismo. It does improve immersion by a million. Im a Thrustmaster/GT7 andy so DD possibility is still year or two away.

Peace, out.

Edit: updated settings

Last edited:
Hard question. Tgt2 is better, smoother and stronger. I suggest the bundle without pedals and instead the tlcm. Transducer is subtle, I feel gear shifts on the pedals on wheel stand pro.

In other games on ps5 like assetto corsa or dirt rally the FFB is powerful. It is really strong.

But it also overheats and ffb fades after longer sessions. They've spent 23 000 hours improving the wheel and still the same issue...
If that happens its cause your using them wrong..., for shure your your using to much FFB force and the electric motors are operating out of safe range so they overheat...
If you play racerrom turn on the graphic that shows you the FFB values, you must configure each car you need to check the torque and NM of each wheel and configure acordenly, racerroom gives such information.
Using the T300 on GT i use FFB strenght at 4 and sensitivity and 2, the wheel handles more but it just havent the torque to operate in a safe range on 5 or above, if people use that values the risk of the base break its much higher, i suggest you to take the plastic protection(check warrancy so you dont lose it) from the wheel and point a bigger fan to the base, that way probably the FFB will not fade cause the motors will stay more ventilated/cooler.

Last edited:
Oldish post so late reply. But someone will stumble here like I did.

So I got my tgt 2 today. Had t300 for few years.

Just got only the base and stuck my t300 rim on it. Also pairing it with tlcm pedals.

Ps5 and gran turismo 7.

Ingame settings (as suggested) are the same for t300 and tgt2 and ive been driving a lot the past week with t300.

First impression for tgt2 was okay. Its smoother and stronger but in a way that i didnt feel the need to decrease ffb torque. Maybe even increase by one tick for some fun.

After few hours i started to understand the transducer more.

To keep it short. Transducer enchances mostly under/oversteer effects by varying force. It also gives constant humming on the wheel that varies mostly based on engine revs. But it does take in account more stuff like grip.

Fun fact: if you stop the car and put neutral, hold clutch or break so you can rev the engine while stopped. I noticed the transducer reacts to revs AND it varies by each vehicle and reacts based on the rev count.

TLDR: I would advice to spin gt7 around with dualsense controller. You get very good general idea about the rumble effects that tgt2 provides.

To end the wall of text I will add my ingame settings for gt7. FFB Torque 4. FFB Sensitivity 4. Vibration strenght 150 (this is under options>controllers>vibration function. According to Thrustmaster)

Worth the upgrade? Yes if you are serious about gran turismo. It does improve immersion by a million. Im a Thrustmaster/GT7 andy so DD possibility is still year or two away.

Peace, out.
Coincidentally I ordered a Logitech pro direct drive the same day you posted this, maybe the same time. Still hasn't shipped or any email notification. I had my t300, 2 sets of pedals and 3 wheels on an ebay auction but canceled due to Logitech slow shipping. Now I'm down a rabbit hole reading about the tgt 2 and contemplating that base with my current wheels and pedals. Need sleep, lol.

If that happens its cause your using them wrong..., for shure your your using to much FFB force and the electric motors are operating out of safe range so they overheat...
If you play racerrom turn on the graphic that shows you the FFB values, you must configure each car you need to check the torque and NM of each wheel and configure acordenly, racerroom gives such information.
Using the T300 on GT i use FFB strenght at 4 and sensitivity and 2, the wheel handles more but it just havent the torque to operate in a safe range on 5 or above, if people use that values the risk of the base break its much higher, i suggest you to take the plastic protection(check warrancy so you dont lose it) from the wheel and point a bigger fan to the base, that way probably the FFB will not fade cause the motors will stay more ventilated/cooler.
I run 3 and 1 for my settings in gt7 with a t300. Will give 4 and 2 a try. I've had 5 t300 bases and this one has super strong ffb for some reason, all 5 were bought 2nd hand. Was actually thinking about going to 2 due to how strong it is.

Coincidentally I ordered a Logitech pro direct drive the same day you posted this, maybe the same time. Still hasn't shipped or any email notification. I had my t300, 2 sets of pedals and 3 wheels on an ebay auction but canceled due to Logitech slow shipping. Now I'm down a rabbit hole reading about the tgt 2 and contemplating that base with my current wheels and pedals. Need sleep, lol.
Try out dualsense on gt7. Dualsense has way more strenght on the rumbles but you get the idea. Whats best is the constant rumble and the effect on grip levels under cornering, i hear DD does not have that and is more like a improved strenght rather than acrual rumble feedback.

I dont have really experience on DD's. Tried few hours on pc assetto corsa a year ago at nearby gaming place. It didnt strike me back then as anything special. It was some fanatec strapped to a motion rig.

If you got a tlcm and rim you enjoy (t300 is just fine rim), i would save on dd and get the tgr2 base only. I was in the same rabbid whole and all i found out mostly was "get dd same price yadayada" everywhere. Hate me people, but i vouche for tgt2 if you are already deep into TM eco system and sticking to gran turismo 7.

https://discord.gg/gt7dd here are weekly races held with clean(drunk) driving2. If you really into gt7.

Now if you do sell your set for nice cash, then it might be good to get a DD. I believe its better for anything else but gt7. But i was happy with t300 already on everyhing else..

Tough. Flip a coin maybe?

T300 tip: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/thrustmaster-t300rs-force-cooling-mode.380581/. Had gt7 at 4-1. Sensitivity at 10 (now recommend 5). After fan mode never had overheat issues anymore.

Tgt2: just ran 6hours session yday with little breaks here and there. No issues. Got gt7 at 4-2. Vibration Strength150 and steering sensitivity at 5.

Last edited:
I run 3 and 1 for my settings in gt7 with a t300. Will give 4 and 2 a try. I've had 5 t300 bases and this one has super strong ffb for some reason, all 5 were bought 2nd hand. Was actually thinking about going to 2 due to how strong it is.
FFB its a thing that each person adjust to feet their gameplay likes, i had a G29(new) and now a T300(new), from my tests in diferent games seems that in GT FFB at 4 its kinda the limit for entry lvl wheels, i used to play on G29 with 5 strengh and after a while the forces started to fade.
Using this settings the T300 never faded and feels nice, and i dont abuse it cause this wheels have a bad reputation and seems you can prove that since you got several of them already.

FFB its a thing that each person adjust to feet their gameplay likes, i had a G29(new) and now a T300(new), from my tests in diferent games seems that in GT FFB at 4 its kinda the limit for entry lvl wheels, i used to play on G29 with 5 strengh and after a while the forces started to fade.
Using this settings the T300 never faded and feels nice, and i dont abuse it cause this wheels have a bad reputation and seems you can prove that since you got several of them already.
Fan on all the time helps. All mine were 2nd hand purchased from the same guy. He beat them I fixed them, lol. All felt slightly different. I'm sure if I bought 1 new I'd have 0 issues. O isses on my end with about 4 years of solid use. 1 of them didn't need work and is the one with all the ffb. I've had 2 driving force gt's, 2 g29's, a t150 and 5 t300's. G29 wasn't a big step over the driving force gt I ended up returning both (thought the 1st was defective). T150 was a step up and t300 an even bigger leap.

Paid my dues hopefully the Logitech Pro Direct Drive and Pro pedals hold me over for another decade plus. Happy racing!

Btw the only issue I am aware of with the T300 is the hall sensor mount. They use a very brittle plastic that cracks over time from the motor heat. If left cracked for too long it can damage the hall sensor itself and or the motor. 3d printed part is the solution.

Try out dualsense on gt7. Dualsense has way more strenght on the rumbles but you get the idea. Whats best is the constant rumble and the effect on grip levels under cornering, i hear DD does not have that and is more like a improved strenght rather than acrual rumble feedback.

I dont have really experience on DD's. Tried few hours on pc assetto corsa a year ago at nearby gaming place. It didnt strike me back then as anything special. It was some fanatec strapped to a motion rig.

If you got a tlcm and rim you enjoy (t300 is just fine rim), i would save on dd and get the tgr2 base only. I was in the same rabbid whole and all i found out mostly was "get dd same price yadayada" everywhere. Hate me people, but i vouche for tgt2 if you are already deep into TM eco system and sticking to gran turismo 7.

https://discord.gg/gt7dd here are weekly races held with clean(drunk) driving2. If you really into gt7.

Now if you do sell your set for nice cash, then it might be good to get a DD. I believe its better for anything else but gt7. But i was happy with t300 already on everyhing else..

Tough. Flip a coin maybe?
Thank you for the great feedback on the TGT2.

I’ve been thinking about upgrading my T300 which has treated me well for years, but since I’m so invested in the TM eco system I didn’t want to start over getting DD with Fanatec or Logitech and having to get better pedals and the shifters, rims, etc.

After reading that the TGT2 was nearly designed exclusively for GTS/GT7 I don’t think waiting for a TM DD compatible wheel for console is worth the time and likely higher expense.

Another TGT2 selling point is the wheelbase only option. Definitely don’t need another set of TP3As and surprised the GT rim diameter is smaller than it looks especially compared to my Sparco R383.

Thank you for the great feedback on the TGT2.

I’ve been thinking about upgrading my T300 which has treated me well for years, but since I’m so invested in the TM eco system I didn’t want to start over getting DD with Fanatec or Logitech and having to get better pedals and the shifters, rims, etc.

After reading that the TGT2 was nearly designed exclusively for GTS/GT7 I don’t think waiting for a TM DD compatible wheel for console is worth the time and likely higher expense.

Another TGT2 selling point is the wheelbase only option. Definitely don’t need another set of TP3As and surprised the GT rim diameter is smaller than it looks especially compared to my Sparco R383.
Yeah the rim that comes with the base as standard is quite a bit smaller than the R383. 28cm vs 33cm I think? I have both rims plus the 1st F1 wheel, and also the 599xx wheel rim. I find the 599xx rim is the perfect balance of size and feel.

I think if you go into the TGT II not expecting a monumental upgrade, you will be happy. The transducer effect does add to the experience, pretty much to the point that I can 100% tell when its not there with other PC sims. (its a shame that they cannot utilise the feature).

Overall I am very happy with my purchase, because already the price to hours used ratio has made it well worth the cash.

I can't really comment on the fading of the wheel though, as mine has never done that because I dont use it with heavy FFB. My in game settings are FFB on 3 and Sensitivity on 10 with the vibration on 150. This allows me to use it for hours on end without getting a sore shoulder, or over loading the wheel.

For me the jump from the t300 to tgt-2 wasn't enough. After selling all my t300 stuff it wasn't a bad hit for the new logitech DD and pedals. Finally got a tracking and delivery date. 11 days total. Monday night starts a new chapter!

Happy racing.

Edit: Pro wheel came it's great way better than any belt/gear wheel I've used. Have it on a playseat challenge it works great. Don't even feel the need to upgrade rigs. Anyone on the fence it's worth it and I am a cheap sob, lol. I'm still playing on 1080p PS5... baby steps.

Last edited:
Fan on all the time helps. All mine were 2nd hand purchased from the same guy. He beat them I fixed them, lol. All felt slightly different. I'm sure if I bought 1 new I'd have 0 issues. O isses on my end with about 4 years of solid use. 1 of them didn't need work and is the one with all the ffb. I've had 2 driving force gt's, 2 g29's, a t150 and 5 t300's. G29 wasn't a big step over the driving force gt I ended up returning both (thought the 1st was defective). T150 was a step up and t300 an even bigger leap.

Paid my dues hopefully the Logitech Pro Direct Drive and Pro pedals hold me over for another decade plus. Happy racing!

Btw the only issue I am aware of with the T300 is the hall sensor mount. They use a very brittle plastic that cracks over time from the motor heat. If left cracked for too long it can damage the hall sensor itself and or the motor. 3d printed part is the solution.
The internal magnet will come loose due to poor/not enough glue. If you hit the wall with too much force feedback going to fast it will crack loose.

I bought mine used had to fix it twice. The first time I went into the back of the motor and applied some jb weld. It worked until I hit the wall too hard.

So I took the motor apart completely and there were just a few drops of glue holding the magnet to the brass inner wheels of the motor.

I packed both ends of the magnet with jb weld increasing the surface contact of the glue 500%.

I have had no problems since other the having to recenter my wheel occasionally.

The internal magnet will come loose due to poor/not enough glue. If you hit the wall with too much force feedback going to fast it will crack loose.

I bought mine used had to fix it twice. The first time I went into the back of the motor and applied some jb weld. It worked until I hit the wall too hard.

So I took the motor apart completely and there were just a few drops of glue holding the magnet to the brass inner wheels of the motor.

I packed both ends of the magnet with jb weld increasing the surface contact of the glue 500%.

I have had no problems since other the having to recenter my wheel occasionally.
New pro wheel is so much better than any of the gear/belt wheels. Not even comparable. No going back now.

Not a big enough jump. Wait for the new TM DD base to come out for consoles. Then just transfer everything you have onto it. Very cheap way of getting onto the DD bandwagon
Logitech is already here. Sick of waiting for Thrustmaster. Also had a really bad experience recently with their customer service. I am done with Thrustmaster. Sold everything Thrustmaster with no regrets and not going back, haha.

Logitech is already here. Sick of waiting for Thrustmaster. Also had a really bad experience recently with their customer service. I am done with Thrustmaster. Sold everything Thrustmaster with no regrets and not going back, haha.
The Logitech shifter is like a toy though. Nothing for console compares with the TH8A with Mod Cambio installed. I'd get a G Pro if they sort their peripherals out. It's a joke atm

The Logitech shifter is like a toy though. Nothing for console compares with the TH8A with Mod Cambio installed. I'd get a G Pro if they sort their peripherals out. It's a joke atm
I got th8a too with short throw 6slot plate and something inside that makes it click and rock solid on shifts. Mods, gotta love proper mods!

Edit: side note..6slot plate is great..no need to think when switching. I map it 1-6 with no reverse but who need reverse anyway?

Last edited:
I play GT7 exclusively on my ps5 with a T300 with an upgraded fan. I found a TGT2 wheel and base on sale for 649.99 canadian (regular price 999.99). As I only play GT7 and don't intend on transitioning to a PC anytime soon, is the TGT2 a good upgrade for me? I also have a full thrustmaster eco system with TLCM pedals, shifter and 2 different rims. Changing to fanatec or other similar DD brand isn't feasible at this time.

Last edited:
For the 6+ years my Thrustmaster shifter was setup I might have used it a dozen times. Paddles are much faster and with the DD I wouldn't want to drive 1 handed anyway. I removed the clutch and moved the brake and throttle pedals to accommodate left foot braking.

For the 6+ years my Thrustmaster shifter was setup I might have used it a dozen times. Paddles are much faster and with the DD I wouldn't want to drive 1 handed anyway. I removed the clutch and moved the brake and throttle pedals to accommodate left foot braking.
I use the stick shifter all the time for authenticity. Just feels wrong driving an F40 around and using the paddle shifters. The shifting in game isn't as smooth either because they're designed to work best with a gearstick

I use the stick shifter all the time for authenticity. Just feels wrong driving an F40 around and using the paddle shifters. The shifting in game isn't as smooth either because they're designed to work best with a gearstick
Was ripping a 9 speed last night on GT7. Felt great with the paddles.

This is coming from someone who has driven manual vehicle's for the last 27 years and well over a million miles.

Currently on a playseat Challenge. Actually works quite well.

Attachments

• 20230404_105310.jpg
    20230404_105310.jpg
    334.4 KB · Views: 39
Was ripping a 9 speed last night on GT7. Felt great with the paddles.

This is coming from someone who has driven manual vehicle's for the last 27 years and well over a million miles.
Paddles feel great on cars which have paddles IRL. But driving a car with a stick shifter in game and seeing the driver do an animated gear change with the shifter on screen just feels all wrong if you're shifting IRL with paddles. Hence why I use both depending on what the real car has

I play GT7 exclusively on my ps5 with a T300 with an upgraded fan. I found a TGT2 wheel and base on sale for 649.99 canadian (regular price 999.99). As I only play GT7 and don't intend on transitioning to a PC anytime soon, is the TGT2 a good upgrade for me? I also have a full thrustmaster eco system with TLCM pedals, shifter and 2 different rims. Changing to fanatec or other similar DD brand isn't feasible at this time.
Yes! Did exact same and im so happy with the base alone. Same setup with tgt2 and tlcm.

edit: wording

Last edited:
Paddles feel great on cars which have paddles IRL. But driving a car with a stick shifter in game and seeing the driver do an animated gear change with the shifter on screen just feels all wrong if you're shifting IRL with paddles. Hence why I use both depending on what the real car has
I do the same. Except my th8a holder for playseat challange broke down so paddles only for now :(

Back