Is anyone else disappointed with GT5?

• Thread starter allmoo
  • 2,452 comments
I cant be the only one? If the game had come out 2 years ago then fine, great, crackin game but what have they been doing for 3 years plus?
Where is qualifiying? Whats with the standard cars and lack of mods?
Did they realy think we wouldnt want to do a standing start at the top gear track? And where is the Nurburgring?
Why so much ephasis on b spec? Who buys Gran Turismo to watch someone else race?

On the plus side, engines sound a load better and she still drives perfect

Last edited by a moderator:
I am disappointed that my Collector's Edition has not arrived yet :grumpy:
Amazon, you let me down... at least I don't mind waiting a little longer:)

Disappointed? No. Did it live up to expectations? No.

It's a decent enough game, at a push worthy of 8/10, but no more than that. Things have moved on, PD with their old GT formula haven't. Graphics and car count are not enough to make this worthy of the time they had with the game.

Im disapointed whith the painting option, ( i need to buy a blue car to have blue painting and affter i use this painting i need to buy another blue car !!) thats radicoulus!!!!
I cam restart a race during a race but aftter crossing a finish line i need to wait till tje game goes to menu and then again start the se competition 2x30 sec loading!!!!!!!
Polyphony - thats radicouos !!!

Plenty of things bug me:

Can't speed up B-Spec
B-Spec itself, if I wanted a racing management sim I would have bought one
Lack of events, thought there would have been tons but there just isn't.
Lack of cars from dealers, now you have to trundle through the used cars to find most of them.
Price of certain cars, 20,000,000 credits is just taking the p**s.

Overall though, so far i'm pretty happy otherwise although I have to say, graphics aside I prefer GT4.

The one question I keep asking myself is "Is it worth a 6 year wait?"

My answer so far is a very firm no. The game actually feels rushed and buggy for some reason.

Plenty of things bug me:

Can't speed up B-Spec
B-Spec itself, if I wanted a racing management sim I would have bought one
Lack of events, thought there would have been tons but there just isn't.
Lack of cars from dealers, now you have to trundle through the used cars to find most of them.
Price of certain cars, 20,000,000 credits is just taking the p**s.

Overall though, so far i'm pretty happy otherwise although I have to say, graphics aside I prefer GT4.

^^^^^^
This

Not sure how long this thread will be open, however:

I, too, am disappointed with GT5. Dont get me wrong, i love the game. However it definitely did not live up to what we were all expecting.

Does the game look and feel great? yes. Does it seem like PD just threw in the "standard car" idea last minute, to increase car count? Yes.

The whole idea of standard cars just angers me. Oh great! I can drive a car *exactly* as it was in GT4! However, unlike GT4, i can't put rims on it? Oh, and i cant go to photo mode with it? Hmm. -- Not to mention, some cars look like absolute crap! The Berlinetta that you win (cant remember where) is a shining example. The detailed areas almost seem as if they were made with lego blocks! Oh, and the bugatti.. Why is this not a premium car? Also, why are there so many NEW, yet STANDARD cars like the Lambo Countach LP and the bugatti? I know you're trying to save time, PD, but really?

The cars you win also seem to be a major issue for me. I feel like i go and buy a car for a series only to win the exact same car, if not something worse than what i raced with. Whats up with that?

I really hate having to complain about my favorite game franchise, but it really seems like at some point in the past 5 years, PD gave up on the game and took a year or two (or three) hiatus.

I really hate feeling like forza 3 is a better example of a solid video game. (and i dont even own an xbox)

PS, everything else posted prior i agree with.

Last edited:
The game actually feels rushed and buggy for some reason.

Certainly buggy so far, the best bug I have come across so far was in the Polyphony Digital Cup race (99% sure it was at that event, would have to check) at Trial Mountain. In that race on lap 2 the Spoon S2000 spun on the start/finish line, he then proceeded to reverse, smash straight into the barrier, reverse, smash into the barrier again and repeated that for the rest of the race.:dunce:

My issues (no order):

1. No test course. Make top gears course, but no tests. Biggest issue for me by far. Racing is boring alone, let me have fun in other aspects.
2. Some standard cars look like utter crap on the outside. Can't they just use photo mode's pics for em'? Dammit.
3. Not enough unique races for A-Spec mode. It seems much smaller than GT4 in terms of length.
4. B-Spec mode, not a fan. I liked how in GT4 you can use the driver if you wanted. Don't like the concentrated B-Spec section.
5. Rims on standards not changeable, bad and sloppy mistake by PD.
6. B-Spec, no speeding up. It's boring enough, don't make use wait it all. GT5 is fun to play, not watch all the time.
7. Used cars impossible to find. Cannot find a cheap POS in the start, nor when you're rich. Most cars should be available, not 250 and the others are random draws.
8. A.I. rams you, makes some tests/challenges close to impossible. No one tries to damage their car blatantly.
9. Car selection, some races cannot be raced cause no cars in dealership for it. So you can be stuck without a event done for a while because of the used dealership offering like 10-20 cars at a time (sometimes with duplicated).
10. Not many modern cars outside of Nissan. PD's choices are pretty bad (or at least questionable).

Oh, but I like the game and enjoy my Collectors Edition. But GT4 is better (content wise).

Nurburgring is in the game.
I haven't played it much, but when me and my dad wanted to do arcade duel I couldn't choose the Nurb.. What's up with that?

A six year wait, is too long. I wasn't dissapointed, I'm verry happy I have it finally, BUT, I wished there was more..

For the sake of a contrasting opinion, I disagree with the TC. Maybe it was because I didn't really start paying in-depth attention to development until a couple years ago, but I never got my expectations to where they couldn't be fulfilled. I expected an HD version of GT4 with more cars and I got a masterpiece with so much more.

Granted, the problems stated above are totally valid, and I'd definitely like to see them go, but they certainly don't ruin the game for me.

After a 3 to 4 year dev cycle what we received would possibly be considered acceptable, but after nearly 6 I feel its a bit of a let down.
1031 cars but less than 20% are premium, I would much rather have 400 hundred well selected cars done properly. I don't remember people complaining Forza 3 only had 400 odd cars.
There are some really cool things I love & I think its quite cool to collect colours but to loose it as soon as you use one & charge you for the privilege is ridiculous, who's stupid idea was that?
As for the Top Gear Track why can't you Hotlap from a standing start to compare your times to the Stig? That was the thing most fans of the show wanted it for.

I think it's great, but definitely has some flaws most of which can be fixed.

On the whole though the game has something for everyone, although a lot of content could be better (standard cars, some tracks) and some bugs and implementation of things weird. I still find it to be a very well rounded game and that's what the series is about... not a racing sim, not an arcade car basher, just a little something for everyone plus hours of addicting grinding. lol

After a 3 to 4 year dev cycle what we received would possibly be considered acceptable, but after nearly 6 I feel its a bit of a let down.
1031 cars but less than 20% are premium, I would much rather have 400 hundred well selected cars done properly. I don't remember people complaining Forza 3 only had 400 odd cars.
There are some really cool things I love & I think its quite cool to collect colours but to loose it as soon as you use one & charge you for the privilege is ridiculous, who's stupid idea was that?
As for the Top Gear Track why can't you Hotlap from a standing start to compare your times to the Stig? That was the thing most fans of the show wanted it for.

I can't hotlap TGTT anyway cause I didn't get gold on what is easily the dumbest challenge in all of video game history

You hit it right in the head, otherwise the Top Gear track is useless. No testing at all, or other side fun stuff.

Sigh... :guilty:

Also, the rain effect was enhanced for TGS and what we actually got in the real game left me hugely disappointed. Isn't it illegal?

weatherwtf.png

You guys are ridiculous..

First of all, you might have waited it for 6 years, but why did you give the waiting such a high priority? There should have been a lot of other things to do besides waiting for GT5. Personally I would have waited even longer in order to get an finished product.
The amount of time spend on making a game shouldn't have an impact on how good a game might be. Let's take Duke Nukem for an instant, over 10 years of waiting and it still might be a great game or a lousy one.

Anyways, now that you guys finally got the game in to your hands by pressuring PD to release it, you whine when everything isn't perfect right away. You can't even wait for the upcoming promised/obvious patches before doing so?

Some things I said might be non-factual (such as PD being the one in charge of releasing the game, I have no idea who's in charge really :P), but you can probably get the main idea.
And sorry for showing my feelings in this post, won't do it again.

Yes I am, I tried to stop myself from being disappointed but there are too many little things that annoy me. Still think the game is a great achievement though.

However I have posted up my problems with the game and some Admin thought it would be funny to remove them for some odd reason.

-No full G25 support. No advanced FFB settings. In H-Pattern the car doesn't idle, just drops to 0rpm, very annoying. The brake bar flashed whilst driving (others have same problem so not my G25).

-No proper difficulty levels in Arcade like Prologue. please bring back a scale of 100. Professional is just too easy (someone advised using crap tyres but I shouldn't have to do this).

-Screen shake on onboard view just gives me a headache.

-Some premium cars don't have working gauges.

-Only 10 slots for Time Trial rankings.

-When re-doing some AMG licences it didn't show my best time in top corner so no split times.

-When right behind a car there is some weird glue like effect like they have slammed their brakes on.

-Karts have standing starts, find me a Kart series where they start on the grid, should be rolling.

-Some engine sounds are way off, testing cars I have owned are awful, no VTEC crossover on B-Series engines e.g. EK9, Forza 3 managed to get it right.

-Where are big brake conversions?

The list goes on, please PD fix these issues. :)

The track arguement everyone is saying is silly. I do think they could have added 1 or 2 more but everyone seems to have forgotten DLC! Lol Guarenteed Sony has a slue of track and car DLCs that they will release.

Also, the rain effect was enhanced for TGS and what we actually got in the real game left me hugely disappointed. Isn't it illegal?

weatherwtf.png
[/Q

Dude if you have actually put some solid time into the rain races you'll notice that the rain density actually changes as does the direction of the rain.... so your comment and pictures are basically not an accurate account of how it is...

I think I speak for more than myself when I say that most of our disappointments aren't with the core of GT5, but with the design decisions. These problems can be extremely easily fixed with a very small patch, but something tells me they never will. What I'm talking about:

- Redesign the menus please. The main GT Life menu is clunky, confusing and counter intuitive

- Unlock damage from the beginning please. I'm almost level 20 and I've yet to see any significant damage. I try to race clean, but sometimes I spin out or hit a wall, but nothing happens. I'd like it if my car was damaged before I spend 1000 hours to get to level 40.

- Change the start grid or add qualifying please. How many races have I started 7th out of 12 on the grid? Probably 99% of them. Again, I'm almost level 20 and I haven't seen a rolling start yet. What gives?

- Let us have Top Gear Test Track pretty please. We were sooooo hyped up to finally be able to challenge the Stig, at least in the virtual world, but now that we have the game we have to race VW hippie buses to unlock it? Seriously? Who's bright idea was that?

And the last "complaint" I have with the game is, please give us the features you said you were going to give us. YouTube replays, expansive internet connectivity, ability to race B-Spec from any computer, advanced match making online, racing team garages online, and so much more. There are so many things that were at one point or another previewed and stated would be in the game but they never made it.

P.S. to the person that compared GT5 with Duke Nukem Forever, are you serious? The creators of Duke Nukem are a small independent studio that didn't overpromise and underdeliver. Hell, they didn't promise anything. PD is owned by Sony, has virtually limitless resources, and a staff of 150+ employees. They have extremely good relations with every car manufacturer, and they even design cars in real life. Yet in spite of all of this they can't get the license to Porsche when Forza can. That my friends is ********.

Every game is released with flaws, it seems that's way to go, F1, WRC game, Ops along with many more in recent years have all been released with problems and had to be patch withing days/weeks..

They have been an update on the 26th and another coming on the 1st. I expect in a month minor stuff ppl complain about will be sorted.

I've got to say as a huge gt fan I am massively disappointed. Spent £210 on Wednesday morning getting a PS3 and GT5, as it's the one game I've been waiting for. After four days with it I am really really disappointed. Im a massive fan of driving sims and driving games, Ive mainly been playing forza 3 for the last 2 years waiting for Gt 5 to finally come out. Gt 5 is just not what was promised or shown through the media and at game conferences. The whole concept of standard and premium cars is ridiculous. Why would anybody want a standard car that looks ****, you can't customise it and it has no photo mode? It's just a bizarre decision to delay the game for so long for such a worthless feature. The graphics are stunning at times but in other instances the framerate can dip and it all looks a bit rushed, which is amazing to think the amount of time pd have had to get this right.

There's just not enough in the game for me, very little customisation, poor selection of cars, standard cars are utterly pointless. It breaks my heart to say it, but there are better games out there now, GT 5 is nothing special and after all this time it really should be the dogs left and it just isn't. It's a solid game but nothing new.

Something else i just remembered:

Whats the point in trying to get licenses? I'm level 17 and only have my B license. There seem to be NO restrictions in any race so far that require any specific license. I have yet to bother to try and get any other licenses.

Restrictions: Again, there seem to be very few restrictions in general in ANY race in the game. Yeah you have your set class races (years, models, etc) but no tire/power restrictions of any sort? What happened? I mean i love blowing the doors off of my opponents, but not this easily.

I have waited far to long for this game to come out and its not what I expected at all.

Forza 3 is better and I hate myself for saying it but its true.

There is no deffending how bad this game is, it should be the best most polished racing game ever but it seems rushed under developed and badly thought out.

What happened to the option to upgrade the brakes? You can't just leave something like that out!

There are parts of GT games that I love, like being able to chang you oil and wash your car when its dirty, they really add charater to the game. On the other hand missing the basics like not being able to change the wheels on standard cars is stupid.

In a nut shell I have waited years, I LOVE the GT series, I bought my PS3 just to play GT5 and it misses the mark by a mile:guilty:

Disappointed? No. Did it live up to expectations? No.
Quite ironic considering the definition of "disappoint" is "fail to live up to expectations." xD

Of course, I understand what you mean. It's a great game, but I wanted more from a game in production for 6 years or so.

Back