Is anyone else disappointed with GT5?

• Thread starter allmoo
  • 2,452 comments
That's because it was waited for by millions of PS3 owners. It was supposed to be the platform's flagship title. No wonder so many people are disappointed. Compare GT5's Disappointment and Appreciation thread on this website.

To add insult to injury to GT5 owners, the developers of Shift 2 have reportedly/apparently/allegedly swallowed their pride and are interacting with Shift 2 owners in GTPLANET'S Shift subsection. Where's the PD or Sony representative on GT5's section?

Shift2, i bought it played with up to 24% on elite/hard with PS3/G27. folks kept saying it gets better just change the settings. Yes, it's not bad if you stick within the cars limits (but some cars are just plain wrong). Let's not even talk about drifting, where you can drift best (only) with a controller, what?!!

Driving on the edges on control in shift2 is just bad. How can "the most realistic racer" have a physics where you can go faster by sliding on every corner as compared to driving within the bounds of grip driving. I gave up when i got to the TimeAttack races, i won the races by sliding all over the place, but if you stick with actual fast driving you get no where. :yuck:

GT5 has issues, but i realized how good it is when i tried to enjoy shift 2.

Now if GT5 can make faster and a tad more aggressive AIs, Also if they can fix Veyron's physics ( i'm sure it has more grip ), It would be a huge improvement.

If Dirt3 comes in with at least with the same physics as dirt2, it will take sihft2's empty spot on my shelf.

Yeah were? Maybe because know one speaks english? I don't know.

Yeahhhhh, Imma go and get a Learn Japanese book so I can read Yamauchi's precious twitter account. Twitter? FFS, there's not even a press release section in Japanese on their website.

Stop complaining about the game. You bought it. That's your own fault. I bought the 100$ collectors edition and the game itself is worth every penny I paid for it. Without the extra chrome line cars and book and stuff. I love this game.

No your Royal Highness. I didn't know there were going to be issues with the game. After taking their own SWEET time, I'd expected a better performance from their 'masterpiece'.

And yeah, stop complaining about the complaining.

well $60 is the regular price, but putting that price for an incomplete/unfinished game like GT5 is insane...if its priced for $40 then thats where it should be...

Tell me a racing game with 200+ detail like premiums, 800+ additional cars, day/night cycle, weather in couple of tracks, street tracks of real life locations, course maker, go-karts, Rally, F1 cars, GT cars, Adrian Newey designed protoype car, 3DTV support and what not ;)

Shift and GT5 have different approaches to realism. GT5 goes for the racing simulation route, while Shift takes the action approach. Shift does not have realistic physics, but they shure make you sweat and feel exhausted after a 10 lap race, like a real race driver would after a 2h race.

Shift is a good game, I played the first one, just because GT5 was not released back then and got the platinum trophy within 6 days. Its a good game, but it does not teach you drivinglines, or makes you explore the limits of your car, its more like "in your face".

But thats not the point of this thread.

I was disappointed when I heared GT5 would feature 800 standard cars from GT4 and GT3, but now I have more standard cars in my garage, then premiums and I rarely drive premiums.

GT5 is suffering from some design choices, like the car painter tool, which makes you waste coloritems, an unfinished course "editor" and below average carsounds. I have overcome these issues, play it online every day and enjoy the racing. Iam not even mad that there is no cockpitview on standard cars, since I have a new favourite view, the hood(roof)camera.

The huge number of cars may appear like quantity over quality, but they all feel different, most of them sound different (though not all of them sound good, V8s in particular) and its awesome to see races with 16 players online, with everyone driving a completely different car.

Some features in GT5 might feel unfinished and others are missing completely, but the essential thing is just perfect, the driving. Its really fun to improve your laptime, shaving of hundreth of a second of your privious laptime and knowing exactly how to improve your laptime even further. Thats one of the differences to Shift, which made me push the car like crazy, never knowing if the laptime would be better or worse. To me it felt like pure luck wether you improve, or end up doing worse laptimes, though you thought they should have been faster.

My tipp: Go online! The GT Mode is weak and does not feature enough races to keep you occupied for long, but you get an unlimited amount of races online, and even seasonal events for those that dont feel to be competitive to other human drivers. GT5 will keep me occupied until GT6 comes along.

I have removed the GT5 BluRay 4 days ago, for the first time since the first week of January, just to watch a BluRay. Its that much fun for me.

I don't see how anyone cannot be disappointed with GT5 in some ways. It's been in development for five years. Anyone looking forward to it will have their own idea about how the game should be and because none of us are the developer we would inevitably be wrong about how it turns out and therefore disappointed when it doesn't turn out the way each of us wonted it to.

At first I was dissapointed, mostly cause I was still sore from F1 2010 that was just a horrible game (I bought 3 copies, 1 for my high end PC that could never get pass the splash screen, and 2 copies for PS3 to play online with my older brother). So I was really expecting GT5 to give me everything I ever wanted for a racer, but that's PD's fault for making us wait so long building hype impossible to please.

But after giving Hot Pursuit 2 a try and now Shift 2 (which I have to admit, I illegally downloaded them to test and not make the same mistake as F1 2010. They were of course promptly and satisfyingly deleted.), I have to say, GT5 is on a different league despite all it's flaws, after almost 5 months I'm still enjoying it. Shift 2 is an arcade, and the graphics are not that great, I had it on maximum video settings and I could always tell it was a game, unlike GT5 that sometimes you get confused if it's real until you see the jagged shadows and smoke :sly:

GT5 is not perfect, and I still expect more from it, but at the moment, it's one of the best games in it's genre so far.

Unbelievably disappointing. I was excited for a great game. I didn't hype it up in my mind to be the best thing since sliced bread, or to forever change the face of racing games, but I expected it to be as fun, as engaging and as much a step forward as GT3 was. Instead we got less cars, paint collection? (Huh? In what world does this make sense?), ridiculous loading times, incredibly unintuitive layouts, unengaging gameplay (unless the AI is meant to reflect zombies driving cars) and a damage model less extensive than I remember from Colin McRae Rally 2003. In addition, the graphics are sub par (excluding the handful of premium cars).

Even modification and customisation hold absolutely no thrills. Whack on everything, all cars sound identical, mash your opposition. Whack on nothing, still mash your opposition. It's depressing when there are more types of bread available at Subway than there are decals for your car.

I gave it time. I really did. I tried my best to love this game, but it's clear that PD will never love me back. I bought GT5 to drive the supercars I'll never be able to afford on tracks I'll never be able to race, modify my BMW 3 series in ways I could never imagine and adorn its body with stickers and decals befitting of the race car I'd love it to be. I wanted to fight for every place on the grid, make a weekend of racing if I so wished. But alas, I have been let down.

I don't understand how people can say they're not disappointed, it's a good game, but if it didn't bare the Gran Turismo name, I honestly don't think anyone would have given it much notice.

I remember when I bought my ps2 when it first came out, I got the gt3 pack. I loved every second of that game, even though I was a small kid. Through the years I have experienced the rise in quality of racing
Simulators, such as the project gotham and forza series, bringing realistic tuning, customization, racing, damage, sound, etc... But when I was sitting here last week bored, thinking if I should pick up gt5, or forza, I thought back to gt3 and how much fun it was. So I picked up gt5, and was ultimately disappointed. It had no customization, bad damage, ****** sound.... Point being, its an overpriced gt3 with better graphics, and now I'm gettimg forza :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe some of us do not like to get $60 stolen from our pockets. Maybe you do?? GT5 is no where near what they advertised it to be. For this reason, I am 100% disappointed with GT5, especially since my saved game file decided to corrupt itself and PD will not take the initiative to fix what they did wrong in the first place.

You make me laugh, I'm not saying you should know this (I would be extremely scared if you did), but I didn't pay for GT5, my brother did. Plus, no money would of been taken from Mr. Stingy anyway. I wouldn't feel it's been stolen, it IS a very good game, it gives a lot.

And please don't say they can't be bothered to fix it, Japan has enough on their plates at the moment, remember, the people working at PD ARE PEOPLE, they have family who have been affected by the earthquake and tsunami.

I don't see how anyone cannot be disappointed with GT5 in some ways. It's been in development for five years. Anyone looking forward to it will have their own idea about how the game should be and because none of us are the developer we would inevitably be wrong about how it turns out and therefore disappointed when it doesn't turn out the way each of us wonted it to.

We know that, so what's yours?

Has anyone else noticed that the rims and tires on the F2007 look like inflatable toys?

jgancherjr
Has anyone else noticed that the rims and tires on the F2007 look like inflatable toys?

They have areo covers over the wheels. Looks retarded imo but that's how the car was run back then.

They have areo covers over the wheels. Looks retarded imo but that's how the car was run back then.

Even for covers their textures are low quality, take a look at the rendering in photomode for the F2007, the rest of the car has a premium quality to it but the wheels stick out like a sore thumb with their blurry textures.

I hate it that PD did not use the potential of the game at all.

I can't believe they failed in so many aspects. I think it was due to the hurry to bring the game out. (Perhaps directed by Sony.)

It starts out with the untidy menus and ends with the unavailable options for setting the TimeOfDay and also Weather offline though they are implemented online.

Multiplayer Lobby is simply a joke. Finding a proper race is impossible...
No save option during endurance races is unacceptable. In all the game manuals we are warned not to play video games for too long because it causes dizziness and what else but PD wants us to race 24 hours nonstop ?

Crazy...

Jee Whizz...
I guess I'm not the only one who is dissapointed with what PD came up with after 5 years.
2450 Responses to this Thread... I hope they read this one

I hate it that PD did not use the potential of the game at all.

I can't believe they failed in so many aspects. I think it was due to the hurry to bring the game out. (Perhaps directed by Sony.)

It starts out with the untidy menus and ends with the unavailable options for setting the TimeOfDay and also Weather offline though they are implemented online.

Multiplayer Lobby is simply a joke. Finding a proper race is impossible...
No save option during endurance races is unacceptable. In all the game manuals we are warned not to play video games for too long because it causes dizziness and what else but PD wants us to race 24 hours nonstop ?

Crazy...

That's a very good point you make concerning playing for 24 hours and the possible health implications. I already had worked out that I would never achieve 100% completion due to the time constraints (I have a life), but the health angle had not occured to me. I wonder what PD's lawyers think about it.

Regarding racing for 24 hours non-stop: real race drivers don't do it, they do stints of a few hours each, not the whole race in 1 go, GT is a worse racing sim for it :lol:! They say that the B-Spec mode has been "expanded" in GT5 compared to GT4, but in GT4 you could share endurance races with your B-Spec driver, which was more realistic & helpful, B-Spec has actually been cut back in GT5 in some regards.

We also got drive through penalties in GT4, if you turned them on, which was more realistic than the fantasy nonsense of ghost cars slowing down that we have now. They seem to take certain steps forward in some games in the series only to mindlessly abandon them in the next, PD needs to learn that if it aint broke don't fix it, build on what works & the realistic features fans use.

:grumpy:👎

GT5 is a very curious experience; one which seems to indicate that a love for all things automotive is in here, but the game aspect is not fully developed.

I for one enjoy GT5 very much and now even more so since I got a free copy of Forza 3: a good game but as a long time GT fan some things just cannot be replicated by T10.

It made me think what it is that GT5 offers that I seemingly cannot get anywhere else? I think the answer (for me) would be passion for the automotive world.

Sure gameplay wise things could be better, I'd love a save feature for endurance ect. but at the same time a simple thing as taking a Ferrari 512B while the sun sets on the Ring and there is a slight drizzle proves my point to me: this is what I want and how I want it to feel!

So, I don't think I am disappointed, but I perhaps did expect more....

Like previously stated before by various members on this forum; Too many versions of a same model (primarily JDM imports) such as the Skylines, STIs, Evos, etc... Also, the disappearance of real world GT Tracks in their previous titles and the biggest issue for me is the lack of a cockpit view for all standard models. "What were they thinking?" -AVGN-

I'm not disappointed with the game. I think complaining is for losers.... Here's my complaint:

I really like the Maserati GranTurismo S. It's sex on wheels and therefore amazing. I also asked one for my birthday.
To prepare myself for the day I get it, I took it for a test drive to see how fast it can go. It's 279 kms/hour, which is just enough for me: no worries there. The problem is, this speed is reached somewhere in the middle of fifth gear (of six).

Or the good people at Maserati spend too much time creating the perfect looking car (doubtful as Pinifarina designed it), or Gran Turismo messed up the gear ratios. Am I supposed to fit a fancy adjustable race gearbox in my beloved Maserati (which I want to keep stock) to be able to enjoy normal gears?

Having said that: thanks for letting me drive a GranTurismo S, Polyphony D.

Back