Is anyone else getting worse?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Oswald07
  • 50 comments
  • 3,619 views
Messages
181
Canada
Canada
Messages
Oswal07
Seems like everyone is getting more consistent. Those drivers I used to count on to spin off the track when under a little pressure aren't crashing anymore. And seems like everyone has got the basics; brake, turn in, apex, accelerate. Now I'm stuck in BS. Can't get more than DR 25000. My girl friend, dog, and work only allow me so much practice time. Does anyone know a shortcut?
 
CSA and the M4. M6 in Gr3. ;)

Or just wall ride at Tokyo like the top ten do and short cut at that Willow Springs track like the cheaters were doing the other day. :banghead:

Otherwise you've just got to put more time in, well as much as you can. Watching the top ten replays can help, ones where they are not cheating of course. 👍 :gtplanet:
 
I have a pretty busy life too, so what I do is focus on cars and tracks I like. It wouldn’t make sense otherwise. Competing not trying to take advantage of my strengths would not be a good idea.
 
Lower the SR score and maybe you'll win a few more races, but up there you're just riding around hoping for others to make mistakes.

Personally I don't race, I run qualifying laps over and over and over and watch the top 10 replays until I figure out where they're finding those extra seconds, then I might race.
 
Narrow down your scope. If you don't think you're good enough at one track scrap it. You will never see me race in Alsace, Brands Hatch, or in Gr. 4
Even then, run tens if not hundreds of laps on the track/car combo you know you're comfortable in, until you can run both consistently and within a margin of 1 second for at least 5 laps straight.

also use meta cars
 
Lower the SR score and maybe you'll win a few more races, but up there you're just riding around hoping for others to make mistakes.

Personally I don't race, I run qualifying laps over and over and over and watch the top 10 replays until I figure out where they're finding those extra seconds, then I might race.

How do you watch top 10 replays?
 
I fluctuate between DR D & C, as 80% of my time thus far has been a “D” driver. Conversely, my SR has been S about 85% of the time, sometimes dipping back to A. I’m not that good, but I’m having a great time driving everyday, except certain tracks. I won’t run any of the Tokyo races, but pretty much everything else, all makes, models and groups. I’ve been playing since launch and have logged 501 Sport Races so far with 4 wins and 1 pole. The biggest thing for me is having fun and slowly improving my skills. Don’t sweat it man, just have fun!
 
Last edited:
Narrow down your scope. If you don't think you're good enough at one track scrap it. You will never see me race in Alsace, Brands Hatch, or in Gr. 4
Even then, run tens if not hundreds of laps on the track/car combo you know you're comfortable in, until you can run both consistently and within a margin of 1 second for at least 5 laps straight.

also use meta cars
Like I said I don't have time to run hundreds of laps. And everyone has their own sense of what they find tedious. I get the most excitement from the daily races. And I was just observing that after ten laps of qualifying I could usually be in the top ten in a BS race. And many would spin out. Now I'm starting 13th and no one makes a mistake. I just think everyone is really getting better. Its fun but I just noticed I'm going backwards.
 
I try and just have fun with it. Everyone likes winning, but some are willing to put in hundreds of hours to win a video game, i’m not.

I’ll take what I can get and try to move up from my qualifying spot eqch race, for the hour or so I race/play each day. I’ve been at B/S for months now and have 21 wins, but i’ve had a lot of fun in some really good battles, A few are hacks and a few just make a mistake that costs lots of spots, thats all part of it.

My only real gripe is tuning...Tuning the cars is something I really enjoy and i’m good at it, but haven't been able to yet, not even once. Come on PD, let us tune the cars!
 
Like I said I don't have time to run hundreds of laps. And everyone has their own sense of what they find tedious. I get the most excitement from the daily races. And I was just observing that after ten laps of qualifying I could usually be in the top ten in a BS race. And many would spin out. Now I'm starting 13th and no one makes a mistake. I just think everyone is really getting better. Its fun but I just noticed I'm going backwards.

I think you answered your question. I’m not trying to be rude, but not everybody is going to be an alien or even DR S. You’ll be a combination of natural skills and reflex related to how much time you put into training. Any sport will be like this.
 
Personally I don't race, I run qualifying laps over and over and over and watch the top 10 replays until I figure out where they're finding those extra seconds, then I might race.

I tried that for a few days. It didn't work as expected.

Everyone's different, of course, but my experiment showed that:
  • After studying the top ten and then running many qualifying laps, I could eventually put together one lap that was almost in the top ten.
  • Because it was a qualifying lap, when I entered the race that fast lap counted and I usually wound up in either pole or in the top three for the race.
  • Because I could not consistently run that pace, the people immediately behind me crushed me and I always finished the race lower than what I started.
Anyway. For me, it turned out that over-qualifying almost always hurt my DR, often hurt my SR, and certainly took the fun out of things. I know this is due to the fact that I'm not consistently alien fast. Now, for the same race, I'll either switch cars (forcing me to re-learn and re-qualify) or stop making new qualifying runs and let a previous time dictate my position.
 
Seems like everyone is getting more consistent. Those drivers I used to count on to spin off the track when under a little pressure aren't crashing anymore. And seems like everyone has got the basics; brake, turn in, apex, accelerate. Now I'm stuck in BS. Can't get more than DR 25000. My girl friend, dog, and work only allow me so much practice time. Does anyone know a shortcut?
Sorry, there are no shortcuts. Quit your job, break up with your girlfriend and let her take the dog!

Your new job is the one track you are best at. Your new girlfriend is the one car you love the most. Your new dog is a wheel.
 
Like I said I don't have time to run hundreds of laps. And everyone has their own sense of what they find tedious. I get the most excitement from the daily races. And I was just observing that after ten laps of qualifying I could usually be in the top ten in a BS race. And many would spin out. Now I'm starting 13th and no one makes a mistake. I just think everyone is really getting better. Its fun but I just noticed I'm going backwards.
I'm not saying to run those hundreds of laps in one sitting. Whenever you have time to play, dedicate that little time you have to perfect any track/car como you're comfortable in
It's going to take a while, and it's going to be very redundant, but that's what it is :cheers:
 
If you have limited time to run, then focus on what you enjoy. Personally I have to good success. I have chosen Toyota as a manufacturer as they have a car in each category, gr1/3/4. I only run those toyotas and primarily in race c. Do 30 mins of practice before joining my first race.

As time has gone on i have experimented with other cars, but my gr3 toyota has clocked up 13000kms, and around 4000kms in the gr4. It takes out variables and allows me to get the most out of each car, in theory making me more competitive.

There is no shortcut to getting good. Just put the time in when you can, improve everytime out. Small goals like place higher than you start, have a clean race, try to hit your qualy lap time in the race etc.

The main thing is to enjoy yourself, whatever you choose to do.
 
I tried that for a few days. It didn't work as expected.

Everyone's different, of course, but my experiment showed that:
  • After studying the top ten and then running many qualifying laps, I could eventually put together one lap that was almost in the top ten.
  • Because it was a qualifying lap, when I entered the race that fast lap counted and I usually wound up in either pole or in the top three for the race.
  • Because I could not consistently run that pace, the people immediately behind me crushed me and I always finished the race lower than what I started.
Anyway. For me, it turned out that over-qualifying almost always hurt my DR, often hurt my SR, and certainly took the fun out of things. I know this is due to the fact that I'm not consistently alien fast. Now, for the same race, I'll either switch cars (forcing me to re-learn and re-qualify) or stop making new qualifying runs and let a previous time dictate my position.
Yes the DR rating is extremely complex isn't it. I think the only way to improve your DR is to actually get better. No short cuts. Grinding only works if it makes you better, faster, and wiser.
 
Also, avoid the VGT OM races, especially if the entry period is closing soon and you've only got 3 minutes to set a good qualifying time.
 
Seems like everyone is getting more consistent. Those drivers I used to count on to spin off the track when under a little pressure aren't crashing anymore. And seems like everyone has got the basics; brake, turn in, apex, accelerate. Now I'm stuck in BS. Can't get more than DR 25000. My girl friend, dog, and work only allow me so much practice time. Does anyone know a shortcut?

Could train to girlfriend o be good at gts. Or there is plan B.

Your new job is the one track you are best at. Your new girlfriend is the one car you love the most. Your new dog is a wheel.

Think I'm feeling a good old 80's training montage coming up.



This should do it.
 
Last edited:
Yes the DR rating is extremely complex isn't it. I think the only way to improve your DR is to actually get better. No short cuts. Grinding only works if it makes you better, faster, and wiser.

Why would you want to improve your DR beyond your capability?

Now I'm stuck in BS. Can't get more than DR 25000.

I am about the same... between 23000 and 25000... it means you have found your level and are being matched against similarly skilled opposition.
 
Could train to girlfriend o be good at gts. Or there is plan B.



Think I'm feeling a good old 80's training montage coming up.



This should do it.

Yah montage just gained a second at least...
 
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but did you ever consider that that's just how good you currently are and the game is ranking you correctly?

I don't mean it with disrespect, there are people above my rank who deserve to be there. The ranking system isn't progressive unless you are. If anything if you maintain a level of skill whilst the people around you improve, your DR should - by rights - go down.

The simple fact is, the ranking system is dynamic and only allows a certain percentage of people to be DR:S, DR:A and so on. Unless you are in the top 2% of drivers racing in sport mode, you won't ever become DR:A, simple as that.

It's not a levelling system that can be gained through infinite play. There are lots of people who have raced thousands of races and are still DR:C simply because that is where their skill sits.

TL;DR - GIT GUD
 
Why would you want to improve your DR beyond your capability?



I am about the same... between 23000 and 25000... it means you have found your level and are being matched against similarly skilled opposition.
Why not? If I didn't strive to improve myself then I'd be stuck in C-D rank. I don't have natural talent, so you can only imagine how many hours I put into the game (all GT iterations other than 1) just to get where I am now (A rank)
To quote the legendary Ayrton Senna
"If you no longer go for a gap which exists you are no longer a racing driver"
 
Why not? If I didn't strive to improve myself then I'd be stuck in C-D rank. I don't have natural talent, so you can only imagine how many hours I put into the game (all GT iterations other than 1) just to get where I am now (A rank)
To quote the legendary Ayrton Senna
"If you no longer go for a gap which exists you are no longer a racing driver"

I agree with you. The OP said he wants a higher rank without putting practice in... he asked if there is a shortcut to a higher level. Now my question is... if you are not good enough to compete with A why would you want to be an A? For status?

Like you, I've worked hard to get to where I am now (As I said I am now about 23-25000, so highish B). For the first 80 or so days of playing I was under 10000, then the past 30 days I focused and put more effort into practice and qualifying, watching top 10 laps etc... now I am holding my own here and am happy - I get occasional wins and good middle of the pack battles, and sometimes come last :lol:. I still practice hard and hope to keep improving, but I wouldn't like to be in A for the sake of it, just making up numbers.
 
Same here, just enjoy the game whatever your DR is. I understand the motivation in improving DR, it's a "progress" mark, but it might not be your only goal.

But I know what you feel, if you start 13, and nothing happens in the race (no accident in front, no overtake, etc...), it can be a bit disapointing, you just struggle to keep your position, lots of stress, but nothing more, just everyone keeping their position. I guess it's part of racing too. Maybe the next races will be better :)

Also, personnaly, I don't like practicing too much the track in qualif before racing. I do the minimum to get some good braking points & understanding of the car limits (to avoid raming people at the first corner), but I usually don't practice more than 5-10 minutes before jumping in the race. My DR is lot lower (6900), but I feel I play with people who do it the same way, thus, there is more unconsistancy for everyone, and more things happens in race.

I think it may be part of your problem : the more you level up, the more people playing with you will be consistent, and with a level nearer than you, resulting in races with less things happening (but intense yet)
 
I agree with you. The OP said he wants a higher rank without putting practice in... he asked if there is a shortcut to a higher level. Now my question is... if you are not good enough to compete with A why would you want to be an A? for status?

Like you, I've worked hard to get to where I am now (As I said I am now about 23-25000). For the first 80 or so days of playing I was under 10000, then the past 30 I focused and put more effort into practice and qualifying... now I am holding my own here.
I might have misread OP. I thought his shortcut was to put as much practice in within a limited time of space. But if he doesn't want to put practice in, then I fully agree with you :cheers:
Not doubting the OP though, I still do think that he's just looking for more efficient ways to practice
 
I might have misread OP. I thought his shortcut was to put as much practice in within a limited time of space. But if he doesn't want to put practice in, then I fully agree with you :cheers:
Not doubting the OP though, I still do think that he's just looking for more efficient ways to practice

:cheers:



I read it that he doesn't have time to practice and wants to shortcut to a higher rank as he's bored at being on the same level.

Perhaps he could clarify :)
 
Seems like everyone is getting more consistent. Those drivers I used to count on to spin off the track when under a little pressure aren't crashing anymore. And seems like everyone has got the basics; brake, turn in, apex, accelerate. Now I'm stuck in BS. Can't get more than DR 25000. My girl friend, dog, and work only allow me so much practice time. Does anyone know a shortcut?

I’ve just fought my way back to B:S after a disappointing early January , DR B SR S is very competitive especially as you get towards the expensive seats... my only advice would be to only race your best races, avoid tracks where there are clear opportunities to be rammed and wall shunted, I personally don’t like doing it but unless you have at least 4 hours per night to practice each race setup then it’s difficult to race them all.
 
:cheers:



I read it that he doesn't have time to practice and wants to shortcut to a higher rank as he's bored at being on the same level.

Perhaps he could clarify :)
Hey thanks for taking the time to respond to my post, I've have really enjoyed reading your comments. I guess the game just doesn't have enough data recording to let me know if I'm improving. As it stands DR and the Kudos site are the only way to track my progress. Unless I had thought to take a pen on day one and record my lap time with different cars on different tracks. When strictly looking at DR this week I got worse. Did I get better in relation to myself? That I don't know. Did I get worse in relation to others? That is the one thing I do know and the answer is yes.

Would I like a magic bullet to push me to the next level? Of course. I wish someone could look at the way I'm braking or when I'm turning in or how I'm turning in and say fix this and you will totally be an AS.
 
Back