Is Cereal Soup?

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 59 comments

Can you class Cereal and Milk as a "Soup"?

• Yes. This changes everything!

• No. Are you dumb for even suggesting that?

Results are only viewable after voting.
No, hot cereal is a solid and cold cereal can be consumed without milk. The milk is not a broth as it does not contain any sort of stock or vegetables/meat to give it flavor. Unlike a hotdog, which is indeed a sandwich, cereal is not soup.

Yes. But did you know Tomatoes are fruit?

*Diabolical Laugh*

Jerome
So are peppers (sweet and hot) and squashes (gourds in general, so cucumbers are included). Also olives, avocados and eggplant.

Beans too, though they're usually technically the seeds of a fruit, with the fruit body typically discarded. Long beans are the exception, as the fruit is consumed with the seeds still inside.

They're classified as fruits botanically, but are typically considered vegetables from a dietary/culinary perspective.

Soup is soup.

Cereal is Cereal.

Cereal is not a sub-category of Soup.

It's like saying a whale is a fish like a whale-shark just because they both swim in the ocean...

A whale is a mammal.
A whale-shark is a fish.

Seems to be the same, but different.

Yes. But did you know Tomatoes are fruit?

*Diabolical Laugh*

Jerome

So are peppers (sweet and hot) and squashes (gourds in general, so cucumbers are included). Also olives, avocados and eggplant.

Beans too, though they're usually technically the seeds of a fruit, with the fruit body typically discarded. Long beans are the exception, as the fruit is consumed with the seeds still inside.

They're classified as fruits botanically, but are typically considered vegetables from a dietary/culinary perspective.
Strawberries and raspberries aren't berries but a banana is.

I love how you all debate the technicalities of everything, even very minor things like this on here, it's brilliant and you can learn so much however sometimes a simplistic approach may be better, especially when it really does not matter. :lol:

So I have a "important" related question. If Cereal (with milk) is definitely/maybe/possibly/technically a soup, would you all accept it as a "Soup of the Day" if you went for a meal or would you think the venue/server was/is tricking/scamming you? :mischievous:

:gtpflag:

Obviously cereal is soup. Good grief. This isn't a close call.

No, broth is not a requirement.
No, heat is not a requirement
No, stock is not a requirement
Soup can be made with milk
Milk soup can be served for breakfast

Russian milk soup (last link) includes sugar, carbs, and milk as the recipe (also water and salt). It's basically breakfast cereal.

Salsa is soup, oatmeal is soup, a glass of water with a piece of food floating in it is soup, chowder is soup, smoothies are soup.

Clam chowder served in a bread bowl (which is phenomenal)...

fullsizeoutput_90d4-720x405.jpeg

...is obviously a soup sandwich. ;)

I would think anything modern dried cereal we eat with milk (like Fruit Loops, Corn Pop, and whatever crud kids eat these days) is a derivative of porridge. The absence of having to cook it make it seem like its in another class.

If anything, the porridge and gruel we commonly know are closer to being a soup, yet we don't consider it such, probably because of how thick it is and that it's grain-based. Obvious the grain needs to be boiled down with some kind of liquid to make it soft enough to eat, but I think the process of making it is different enough to be classified as its own; cereal.

Also it has been mentioned that soup by definition involving cooking whatever it is in a liquid. Dried cereal + milk =/= soup.

However though if I can take this onto another tangent:

Would you consider porridge or gruel a soup?

At what point is a soup still considered soup until it becomes a stew?

Strawberries and raspberries aren't berries but a banana is.
A pineapple is also a berry. Rather, it's a cluster of berries that has fused together.

Clam chowder served in a bread bowl (which is phenomenal)...

fullsizeoutput_90d4-720x405.jpeg

...is obviously a soup sandwich. ;)
Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl is one of the best things.

At what point is a soup still considered soup until it becomes a stew?
A stew is defined by the process of cooking that calls for meat and vegetables to be cut into chunks on the large side (not necessarily bite-size) before "stewing" over a long period of time and at lower temperatures in just barely enough liquid to cover completely.

Particularly when dealing with meat, the process allows connective tissue consisting of collagen, which normally contracts when cooking and results in fluid loss, to contract at a slower rate until it eventually breaks down into gelatin after sustained high internal temperature (180° F), resulting in more moist, tender meat.

You could, in theory, increase the amount of liquid in a stew that's finished cooking properly, resulting in a soup...but I don't know what amount of liquid would be necessary to accomplish the task or even why you'd want to do that.

Last edited:
Are you telling me that Coco Pops isn't actually a crunchy chocolate milkshake after all!?

My whole life has been a lie.

No. Are you dumb for even suggesting that?

a liquid food made esp. by cooking vegetables and sometimes also meat or fish in water and usually served hot.

Last edited:
Shall we consolidate this into an "Unpopular Food Opinions" thread?

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back