Is drifting GT3 style going to be possible in GT5?

  • Thread starter Thread starter tsuchiya
  • 70 comments
  • 5,605 views
Messages
56
Messages
Davidrick
Yesterday I found this old GT3 video and it bring me back a lot of memories from the time when I was saving money for a PlayStation 2. I spent a lot of time trying to drift like that and, after some time, I got the hang of it.

Then GT4 came out, and this kind of drifting wasn´t possible anymore because some update in the driving physics made the car behave differently. There is some sort of limit to the angle in which you can drift and, when you reach that angle, the tail comes back and goes to the opposite side sending the vehicle out of the track.

Recently I tried the GT5 time trial with my DFP and noticed this effect. I think drifting with the time trial settings is physically impossible. Not even Keiichi Tsuchiya would be able to drift in this time trial. Is there something I am missing out? Or is it really Impossible to drift a Nissan 370Z with racing tires?

I´m concerned about this because I think GT5 is going to be "the big one", the driving title in which I´m going to spend most of my time for several years.

Regards.
 
Last edited:
The video of the Toyota FT-86 Turbo G Sports showed some pretty serious drifting so I'm pretty sure it'll be possible in GT5 but will probably take a lot of practice to master just like it would in real life
 
The old video was quite impressive.

As for your question about drifting, well drifting is definately possible and promoted within GT5:P so its reasonable to presume it will exist in some form in the full release of GT5.
To get a feel for what drifting techniques are like in GT5P, you may wish to look at this video:


Other than that, surely in real life, a race specification 370Z would be pretty hard to drift with extra sticky slick tyres? Try the non-tuned 370Z, even i can drift that badly.
 
Try the non-tuned 370Z, even i can drift that badly.
Maybe if you could turn off the TCS it would be different. But the way the time trial demo is now, you cant drift consistently.
 
Nice video!!!
Recently i wonder if i can drift in time trial(in GT5P), i drift well in drift mode, but i wonder that, and you know, i can do it, with N1 tires the FR cars behaves like a sort of hybrid between a FR an 4WD, its some tricky but its possible. Try it!!

With the 4WD cars you must let the tail go and not correct the wheel too much like an FR car.
 
In real life it's not that hard to drift as I suspect many believe, infact it's pretty easy and natural because the mother nature with its physical laws are helping you. All you have to do is feel the car so that you know how to steer and apply throttle in a drift. If you look at some japanese drift videos where they show the pedals and steering you can see the driver is not fighting the car, he lets it slide in a drift while trying to control it as he likes/thinks. Imagine a sports car has about 1500 kg and imagine the tyres, there is no super-grip there, you don't even have to throw the car in a slide(a little depends though), you just turn the wheel fast and then when you feel the weight of the tail going to the other side just apply throttle and voila. Then it's the question of controling the drift which is also not hard. The key is to be one with you car, to know what's it doing.
 
Hi Tsuchiya, I agree GT3 was the best for drifting, I played that game from launch and when GT4 came out it was a massive dissapointment, especially considering it had D1 cars. GT5p is a small improvement but still not right and GT5 demo is a little better in some ways, neither of them are as realistic as GT3 for drifting though. The only flaw I could see in GT3 was the low speed grip, but that flaw is still there even after "building GT5 from scratch". I can do a little drifting in GT5 demo but it does not feel very natural.
 
Maybe if you could turn off the TCS it would be different. But the way the time trial demo is now, you cant drift consistently.

Yes, when you use a pad you cant drift with the untuned.
But i already made some nice drifts with the tuned, not easy though.

EDIT: How can you say GT3 is more realistic for drifting when the whole physics engine is a lot more unrealistic than from the TT? Because it was easier?
 
Last edited:
GT3 was more realistic because it responded to inputs the same as a real car, this IMO is the most important thing for a simulator. for example, in GT5 when you try to drift, you have to be very carefull with the throttle, if you give it to much it straightens, or if you give it to little it straightens, thats not how it goes in real life.
 
But full lock and the throttle to the floor is realistic?
Even most of the drifts in the video from the OP are completely unrealistic, the cars just slide around the corners, even the DTM Astra. Have you ever drifted in something like Live for Speed? It IS hard.

I sometimes have the feeling that a lot of people confuse their personal feeling from the input you give with the game controller, with the actual physics of the game.
 
I am average drifter and average skilled GT player but i think i can handle GT5 quite nice. Academy demo took some time though :D

And here academy demo
 
GT5 TT feels just like all the other games a little too fast, a bit on the arcade side. A real video of a drifting car doesn't look that fast, it's slower but smooooooth. Looking at that^ GT5 TT video the car is a bit like a unleashed rabbit, unrealistic.
 
Have you ever drifted in something like Live for Speed? It IS hard.
Actually, i find it easier to drift in LFS than GT5p for example.
But compared to GT4, the GT5p imo feels better and you get much easier drifts in it.
 
Well for me the more realistic it is the easier it is, I can go on LFS and drift with no problems because it is realistic, everything I do in my real car works in LFS, I cannot praise that game enough.
Now my biggest problem with GT4 onwards is it's like the cars have no LSD the car should keep drifting with full throttle when the speed of the car has not caught up with the speed of the wheel spin on the exit of a corner, but it just straightens:sick: also they messed up the manual gear change on GT5p and made it really unrealistic, even though it was ok they "updated" it to make it unrealistic!
It's a long time since I played GT3, but you could not simply keep it floored on full lock.
This is how drifting in GT should be, but probably never will:(
 
What is all the fuss about drifting? This is not a drift game, call me oldfashioned but I don't care for drifting, I care for speed and fast track times. Drifting is a fetish, blame the japanese for it. :D
Driving sideways a car sounds stupid enough, let alone doing it.
 
What is all the fuss about drifting? This is not a drift game, call me oldfashioned but I don't care for drifting, I care for speed and fast track times. Drifting is a fetish, blame the japanese for it. :D
Driving sideways a car sounds stupid enough, let alone doing it.

Why are you posting in drifting thread so? You obviously don't know what you are talking about, so go post flame bait somewhere else.
 
What is all the fuss about drifting? This is not a drift game, call me oldfashioned but I don't care for drifting, I care for speed and fast track times. Drifting is a fetish, blame the japanese for it. :D
Driving sideways a car sounds stupid enough, let alone doing it.

I also am a grip racer, but I love to watch those vids! I can not drift at all but at least I can admit that it takes alot of skill to do it right and make it look cool. If you are going to blame JP for drifting you should keep in mind that the creators of GT are also JP so I am sure if they include it in GT5(and it is) that they will do thier best to make it as real as possible. If you can not appreciate it for what it is then when the thread title said "drifting" then why did you even open it?
 
I agree GT3 was the most fun drift game. i hope GT5 brings some of that back..
 
I also am a grip racer, but I love to watch those vids! I can not drift at all but at least I can admit that it takes alot of skill to do it right and make it look cool. If you are going to blame JP for drifting you should keep in mind that the creators of GT are also JP so I am sure if they include it in GT5(and it is) that they will do thier best to make it as real as possible. If you can not appreciate it for what it is then when the thread title said "drifting" then why did you even open it?
I also love the vids, but what if you see those vids for 24/7? You like them because they are different and kind of cool way of driving a car, but that's about it, like apples and oranges, if you see what I mean. ;) True racing is still the cream of the crop while drifting is just a show for the people, that's why I don't understand the fuss and worries about GT5 drift physics. I don't appreciate also oval races but that doesn't mean I don't love USA. A lot of great things have created all of the great countries and I love them all. 👍
 
I also love the vids, but what if you see those vids for 24/7? You like them because they are different and kind of cool way of driving a car, but that's about it, like apples and oranges, if you see what I mean. ;) True racing is still the cream of the crop while drifting is just a show for the people, that's why I don't understand the fuss and worries about GT5 drift physics. I don't appreciate also oval races but that doesn't mean I don't love USA. A lot of great things have created all of the great countries and I love them all. 👍

So the question still remains, if you hate drifting so much then why did you post in a drifting thread? Not trying to be a jerk, just curious. If drifting bothers you so much when you see a thread with "drifting" in the title you should just go to the next thread.


Back on topic, more drifting vids?
 
I would say that in GT5 if you switch to standard physics you can probably drift easier with a pad or without much practice. For Pro physics I'm pretty sure it would take a lot more practice and probably easier with a FFB wheel that it is with a pad. Of course you can setup the car for better drifting by changing the tires, tuning the differential and suspension.
 
I also love the vids, but what if you see those vids for 24/7? You like them because they are different and kind of cool way of driving a car, but that's about it, like apples and oranges, if you see what I mean. ;) True racing is still the cream of the crop while drifting is just a show for the people, that's why I don't understand the fuss and worries about GT5 drift physics. I don't appreciate also oval races but that doesn't mean I don't love USA. A lot of great things have created all of the great countries and I love them all. 👍

Drift Physics? If the car psysics in GT5 is realistic, then you should be able to drift, powerslide, do handbrake turns, j-turns and everything else you can do in real life. I am right, aren't I?
 
So the question still remains, if you hate drifting so much then why did you post in a drifting thread? Not trying to be a jerk, just curious. If drifting bothers you so much when you see a thread with "drifting" in the title you should just go to the next thread.

For a fact this is my first drifting thread that I am part of since my alltime register here, that's from 2005. GT3 obviously caught my attention. It's nice that you're not trying to be a jerk, next time try harder. I never said I hate drifting, I just said it's stupid enough, it's unusual way of driving and I don't like it in a serious manner, a show just like monster-trucks show and others similar.
 
Drift Physics? If the car psysics in GT5 is realistic, then you should be able to drift, powerslide, do handbrake turns, j-turns and everything else you can do in real life. I am right, aren't I?

GT5 is not %100 realistic, obviously Polyphony Digital is aiming at the heart of the physics and then the rest, but in increments. And look at the visuals also, you have no reverse lights and no skidmarks, these things are kind of a reflection of the physics. ;)
 
If drifting is as you said "stupid enough" how is race driving any different? IN YOUR OPINION, racing is the cream of the crop and others are just a show for the people. So what is the difference, what brings racing above being just a show for the people? GT is the "real driving simulator" not the real racing simulator, therefore you should be able to try all types of driving.
 
If drifting is as you said "stupid enough" how is race driving any different? IN YOUR OPINION, racing is the cream of the crop and others are just a show for the people. So what is the difference, what brings racing above being just a show for the people? GT is the "real driving simulator" not the real racing simulator, therefore you should be able to try all types of driving.

I can't believe you're asking that. The difference is that classic racing is sick fun and therefore powerful. It's driving on the limits in a vulnerable car with all the others on a real tack in a real world and that is very engaging, no race is ever the same, different cars, different people, different conditions of day, weather, tyres, gas tank and so on. No race driver is bored ever of racing, look at Michael Schumacher and others. Drifting on the other hand is boring when you have fully mastered it, it's predictable and repetitive.
 
I can't believe you're asking that. The difference is that classic racing is sick fun and therefore powerful. It's driving on the limits in a vulnerable car with all the others on a real tack in a real world and that is very engaging, no race is ever the same, different cars, different people, different conditions of day, weather, tyres, gas tank and so on. No race driver is bored ever of racing, look at Michael Schumacher and others. Drifting on the other hand is boring when you have fully mastered it, it's predictable and repetitive.

Yes, that's your opinion and that's all.

Have you ever seen a drifting contest? Because yes, there is different cars, different people, they are driving to the limit with others on a real track. No race is ever the same, just like in "normal" racing or any other motorsport.






No race driver is bored ever of racing, look at Michael Schumacher and others. Drifting on the other hand is boring when you have fully mastered it, it's predictable and repetitive.

You are kidding me, right?
 
Last edited:
I can't believe you're asking that. The difference is that classic racing is sick fun and therefore powerful. It's driving on the limits in a vulnerable car with all the others on a real tack in a real world and that is very engaging, no race is ever the same, different cars, different people, different conditions of day, weather, tyres, gas tank and so on. No race driver is bored ever of racing, look at Michael Schumacher and others. Drifting on the other hand is boring when you have fully mastered it, it's predictable and repetitive.

I agree drifting is lame. I also must say that LFS is no where near real life like he claimed. The cars have no weight feeling to them the cars bounce around because of the poor tire deformation physics. Also the sound and graphics on that game are horrendous.
 
I can't believe you're asking that. The difference is that classic racing is sick fun and therefore powerful. It's driving on the limits in a vulnerable car with all the others on a real tack in a real world and that is very engaging, no race is ever the same, different cars, different people, different conditions of day, weather, tyres, gas tank and so on. No race driver is bored ever of racing, look at Michael Schumacher and others. Drifting on the other hand is boring when you have fully mastered it, it's predictable and repetitive.

In drifting competion anything can happen like in other motor racing or competitions.

"It's driving on the limits in a vulnerable car with all the others on a real tack in a real world and that is very engaging" Imagine two guys doing that sideways :)

" different cars, different people, different conditions of day, weather, tyres, gas tank and so on" What ever you do with a car, all those count(and that includes drifting)

I like all types of motorsports and drifting is the least that i would call boring.
 
I can't believe you're asking that. The difference is that classic racing is sick fun and therefore powerful. It's driving on the limits in a vulnerable car with all the others on a real tack in a real world and that is very engaging, no race is ever the same, different cars, different people, different conditions of day, weather, tyres, gas tank and so on. No race driver is bored ever of racing, look at Michael Schumacher and others. Drifting on the other hand is boring when you have fully mastered it, it's predictable and repetitive.

Lol, are you for real? Anything you said there could be said about pretty much any other form of motorsport:dunce: You really don't know what your talking about, or else you are just a troll.
 
Back