Is drifting GT3 style going to be possible in GT5?

  • Thread starter Thread starter tsuchiya
  • 70 comments
  • 5,605 views
I agree drifting is lame. I also must say that LFS is no where near real life like he claimed. The cars have no weight feeling to them the cars bounce around because of the poor tire deformation physics. Also the sound and graphics on that game are horrendous.

When was the last time you played LFS? Would you not agree it is more true to life than GT5p or demo?
 
Drifting is the epitome of car control. To neglect drifting is to neglect one of the best instruments that help you become a good driver.
 
I can't believe you're asking that. The difference is that classic racing is sick fun and therefore powerful. It's driving on the limits in a vulnerable car with all the others on a real tack in a real world and that is very engaging, no race is ever the same, different cars, different people, different conditions of day, weather, tyres, gas tank and so on. No race driver is bored ever of racing, look at Michael Schumacher and others. Drifting on the other hand is boring when you have fully mastered it, it's predictable and repetitive.

So you are saying thet once a real drift driver is good at what he does that he in turn gets bored doing it? Wow, you are a funny guy.:dunce:


And to Dravonic, that is exactly why, although in the past i also disliked drifting, I have come to be much more interested in drifting. I feel that if I can learn to do it even just a little it will help me be a better grip racer by teaching me better car control.
 
Last edited:
I would say that in GT5 if you switch to standard physics you can probably drift easier with a pad or without much practice. For Pro physics I'm pretty sure it would take a lot more practice and probably easier with a FFB wheel that it is with a pad. Of course you can setup the car for better drifting by changing the tires, tuning the differential and suspension.


ahh other way around. Drifting is way easier on a pad thanks to the ultra fast lock to lock times!
900 degree steering is damn hard to catch the slides with the current physics
 
I think the origin of my question isn´t if drifting is easy or hard. The thing is if it is hard in a way that is fair.
I tried the tt demo with my dfp and simulation wheel settings, and I think drifting was hard in a way it isn´t meant to. I mean, when you drift with a real car, the wheel sends you feedback of what is happening with the car and which angle you should turn the wheel to keep the car sliding. In fact, in many low speed drift videos you can see the driver lift his hands off the wheel, while starting a drift, to let it turn automatically to a place near the spot where the sliding is balanced and then grab the wheel again.

In any drift videos you can see the driver applies very little strength when initiating a drift, because in real life, the front wheels of any car tend to point to the place the car is going and the driving wheel reflects this.



With GT5 TT current physics, and it was the same in GT4, this is impossible because if you let the wheel guide you as you would in a real car, you are going to spin from one side of the track to the other and lose control of you car.

I am not asking for an auto-drift mode like the one Forza 3 has, I just want something that is fair.

Regards
 
Last edited:
What is all the fuss about drifting? This is not a drift game, call me oldfashioned but I don't care for drifting, I care for speed and fast track times. Drifting is a fetish, blame the japanese for it. :D
Driving sideways a car sounds stupid enough, let alone doing it.

then u are writing in the wrong topic!

ONTOPIC: I agree that its easier to drift in lfs,, i think its mainly cuz of the tire grip physics are more realistic...
 
I think part of the problem your talking about, is that the ffb in the steering wheel is not strong enough to self center the wheel to the right position, at a fast enough speed. The only way I have found around this is to have the wheel turn 720 and the steering lock set to 50 degrees, but i don't know if you will be able to do this in GT5.
 
and some short videos comparing both lfs and gt5p, both made by me

 
Nice drifting and nice editing too:)👍 How do you get the camera to follow the car like that, in the LFS vid, is it by hand? I see you use MR in GT5p, I think the grip of the MR in GT5p, makes them feel a bit more realistic, maybe a bit closer to what you would expect from an FR.
 
thank you! its a custom view. Option > view
Yes it ust be, the FD is kinda good too but it understeers & floats a bit. the moost realistic car in gt5p difting is probably the cappuccino fully tuned, feels like it has more contact with the road and the ffb actually makes more sence imo :P
 
here's another short kinda boring video i made for fun since all the kawabata entry hype, which i belive is impossible in gt5p

didnt work embedded so u have to click it :P
http://www.vimeo.com/7982250
 
I did one too...
I'm sure you'll be amazed with my editing:)
 
GT3 style drifting is totaly unrealistic.Im not hating on it....im not going to lie some of my best time drifting on the GT series was on GT3 LOL.Cars seem to drift to easily. I think people think just because drifting or racing on a game is easy they automatically assume that its easy,but in reality its not.GT4 drifting was better from GT3 but cars seemed to understeer too much IMO.GT5P is a big improvement drifting physics wise...when using a wheel.I can trace the wheel properly like D1GP drivers do IRL. Overall GT5P is a big improvement drifting wise.Also whats up with everybody saying they cant drift on GT5TT.......sigh.....TCS is on 7 for both cars.Of course your not going able to drift if TCS is on,and the 370z tuned is on race tires LOL.But anyway drifting is entertaining and a challenge on technical courses,but after understanding the mechanics of countersteering you will pretty much be drifting on any course.I used to race all the time but drifting grown on me.I find it to be more personal if you know what im trying to say LOL.I going to post up some drift videos enjoy LOL

This is a vid of a S13 chasing a ER34
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRRHx_ZhYww

Here is Koguchi at Nikko circuit...I think lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9vuu6rNUJ0

D1GP Odaiba 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsMv1wyVOU8

And here is me drifting in the vette,i tried to drift the whole lap so these are not my best lines lol.Sorry for bad quality
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO3gNRAujSY

this one is aston martin at London...a little tougher but im not happy with
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edolTkJYrzs

Im going to put one up with me working the wheel to show how it is lol.
 
The problem with comparing the GT5 TT demo physics is that the TSC is set to 7 so it completely kills the speed and flow of the drift. the 370Z tuned car IMO is slightly better to drift despite the R1 tires (you just have to be a bit more harsh on gas and steering during the entrance)

How can drifting be boring once you learn the skills.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyT3PsBjE_o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQdHLM1EmJY&feature=related

Even Initial D never gets boring. Different overtakes, more angle more excitement. Just like grip driving.
 
This is how you should do it:D! From a friend of mine:)!

 
My thoughts on drifting in the last few GT games:

GT3 - Very easy to drift, not so realistic but fun!
GT4 - PD goes waaaay overboard with the 'kick back' effect that happens at the end of a slide from too much counter steer or sudden throttle lift. Almost impossible to drift, not realistic!
GT5P - Most realistic drift physics do date (in my opinion). Tricky, but manageable, as in real life. Somewhere in between GT3 and GT4 as far as difficulty.
GT5tt - Something is just off, drifting with a 900 deg wheel is damn near impossible yet easy as cake with a controller?

GT5 will hopefully be somewhere in between prologue and the time trial physics-wise, so a lot different from GT3 - a good thing.
 
Looking at that^ GT5 TT video the car is a bit like a unleashed rabbit, unrealistic.
*sigh*

Maybe because it's a nissan 370z road car that the guy was just playing around with? Perhaps the fact that he never even attempted to drift at the kind of angles seen in D1 or whatever may have had something to do with it.

NOTE TO EVERYONE COMPLAINING ABOUT DRIFTING IN THE TIME TRIAL:

You are in a stock 370Z or a track-prepared (is 'grip' racing setup) 370Z. You are also only driving on Daytona. Quit complaining that the drifting doesn't 'feel' right when you can't slide a 370 with a ting and slicks and some racing gear around like you'd expect to sling a 180 around. THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING.
 
In real life it's not that hard to drift as I suspect many believe, infact it's pretty easy and natural because the mother nature with its physical laws are helping you. All you have to do is feel the car so that you know how to steer and apply throttle in a drift. If you look at some japanese drift videos where they show the pedals and steering you can see the driver is not fighting the car, he lets it slide in a drift while trying to control it as he likes/thinks. Imagine a sports car has about 1500 kg and imagine the tyres, there is no super-grip there, you don't even have to throw the car in a slide(a little depends though), you just turn the wheel fast and then when you feel the weight of the tail going to the other side just apply throttle and voila. Then it's the question of controling the drift which is also not hard. The key is to be one with you car, to know what's it doing.



I'm sorry man but have you ever drifted in real life or gt5p oor gt5tt ?
Because once you start out it is not easy and the physical laws are not helping you at all. They work against you and that's why you have to have good throttle and steering input otherwise you spin or you're not even sideways at all. I've been interested in drifting for a couple of years now and even had my own car to drift in a lil bit and I have never met anyone on the interwebz or in real Life that said it's easy ;)
 
My thoughts on drifting in the last few GT games:

GT3 - Very easy to drift, not so realistic but fun!
GT4 - PD goes waaaay overboard with the 'kick back' effect that happens at the end of a slide from too much counter steer or sudden throttle lift. Almost impossible to drift, not realistic!
GT5P - Most realistic drift physics do date (in my opinion). Tricky, but manageable, as in real life. Somewhere in between GT3 and GT4 as far as difficulty.
GT5tt - Something is just off, drifting with a 900 deg wheel is damn near impossible yet easy as cake with a controller?

GT5 will hopefully be somewhere in between prologue and the time trial physics-wise, so a lot different from GT3 - a good thing.

👍
 
In drifting competion anything can happen like in other motor racing or competitions.

"It's driving on the limits in a vulnerable car with all the others on a real tack in a real world and that is very engaging" Imagine two guys doing that sideways :)

" different cars, different people, different conditions of day, weather, tyres, gas tank and so on" What ever you do with a car, all those count(and that includes drifting)

I like all types of motorsports and drifting is the least that i would call boring.

That's what I was talking about. They got bored of just driftring around, then they got bored of drifting around obstacles and such and then they race sideways which is fun to look at, that I agree. But they race for only a lap or so, that's not comparable to classic racing where they race for 3 hours straight, or Le Mans, or other 24 hr racing. Now there is strategy and conditions involved on a level drifting doesn't know about. You cant just stop and then continue, if you're out you're out and that is very touching on a psychological level, imagine you race for 60 laps and then your car breaks, isn't that sad?
You don't see drifting championships in Europe, not many people take drifting seriously I'm afraid, only amateurs meeting.
 
Last edited:
I'm sorry man but have you ever drifted in real life or gt5p oor gt5tt ?
Because once you start out it is not easy and the physical laws are not helping you at all. They work against you and that's why you have to have good throttle and steering input otherwise you spin or you're not even sideways at all. I've been interested in drifting for a couple of years now and even had my own car to drift in a lil bit and I have never met anyone on the interwebz or in real Life that said it's easy ;)

Of course they will not say it's easy, it depends on your skill generally and also on the car. I have drifted in real life a little bit and it's a lot of fun and I can say that if you're not afraid of the car and if you understand how the car works in a slide it's fairly easy to control it, and some hours practice and you get a taste of what's drifting like. In GT5 I can't feel the car like in real life, only the wheel is helping me feeling what the car is doing and that is only half of the body which is not good.
 
That's what I was talking about. They got bored of just driftring around, then they got bored of drifting around obstacles and such and then they race sideways which is fun to look at, that I agree. But they race for only a lap or so, that's not comparable to classic racing where they race for 3 hours straight, or Le Mans, or other 24 hr racing. Now there is strategy and conditions involved on a level drifting doesn't know about. You cant just stop and then continue, if you're out you're out and that is very touching on a psychological level, imagine you race for 60 laps and then your car breaks, isn't that sad?
You don't see drifting championships in Europe, not many people take drifting seriously I'm afraid, only amateurs meeting.

So explain for me, why do you think the drivers would continue if they thought it was so boring?

What do you think about rally drivers? Are they also bored just because they only drive "short" stages?
 
Last edited:
So explain for me, why do you think the drivers would continue if they thought it was so boring?

What do you think about rally drivers? Do you think that they are bored just because they only drive short stages?

It's not going to be boring as long as they update their competitions that way they are making them diverse and fun for them and for others to watch. I love the drifting when I love it and I don't love it when I love something else, like the grip racing. My point was that true racing is not built around drifting so people should not worry about drifting physics much, in a way drifting is the opposite of a what a sports car's dream is- to be the fastest and the best handling and that is the essense of racing, for that drifting is awkward, drifting is more like a funny way of driving a car, like car ballet or something. As for the fanatics that want their GT game to be %100 real, just wait for it. :)
 
*sigh*

Maybe because it's a nissan 370z road car that the guy was just playing around with? Perhaps the fact that he never even attempted to drift at the kind of angles seen in D1 or whatever may have had something to do with it.

NOTE TO EVERYONE COMPLAINING ABOUT DRIFTING IN THE TIME TRIAL:

You are in a stock 370Z or a track-prepared (is 'grip' racing setup) 370Z. You are also only driving on Daytona. Quit complaining that the drifting doesn't 'feel' right when you can't slide a 370 with a ting and slicks and some racing gear around like you'd expect to sling a 180 around. THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING.

The video we saw was of the stock 370Z so it should handle like the factory released car. If you look at youtube reviews of 370Z it drifts easy enough and it looks beautiful, you can see the tyres are spinning under a heavy car, the car drifts but it's not off wide on the track, also you can see in that TT Demo video that the car doesn't look heavy, it's looks a bit like jumping around, maybe it's on slick tyres indeed. ;)
Anyway PD is still tweaking the game and until it's not finished it's not supposed to be received as the final game.
 
It's not going to be boring as long as they update their competitions that way they are making them diverse and fun for them and for others to watch. I love the drifting when I love it and I don't love it when I love something else, like the grip racing. My point was that true racing is not built around drifting so people should not worry about drifting physics much, in a way drifting is the opposite of a what a sports car's dream is- to be the fastest and the best handling and that is the essense of racing, for that drifting is awkward, drifting is more like a funny way of driving a car, like car ballet or something. As for the fanatics that want their GT game to be %100 real, just wait for it. :)

A waste basket becomes a helmet when you put it on your head. A television becomes a vehicle for suicide when you bring it into the bathtub. There may be an intent to a design, but you are just debating philosophical points when you begin speaking of "the essence of racing."

Grip racing is a motorsport, much like drifting, and as such, each car is modified for its particular purpose. Don't get too stuck to your definitions.
 
Of course they will not say it's easy, it depends on your skill generally and also on the car. I have drifted in real life a little bit and it's a lot of fun and I can say that if you're not afraid of the car and if you understand how the car works in a slide it's fairly easy to control it, and some hours practice and you get a taste of what's drifting like. In GT5 I can't feel the car like in real life, only the wheel is helping me feeling what the car is doing and that is only half of the body which is not good.

So your saying drifting is harder to do than racing. Why are you still comming in here and bringing this off topic. The op won't be able to find any real answers to his question, if you keep comming along posting random stuff, based on your own assumptions, you obviously know nothing about. There are many pro drifting championships in Europe too by the way.:rolleyes:
 
Drift Physics? If the car psysics in GT5 is realistic, then you should be able to drift, powerslide, do handbrake turns, j-turns and everything else you can do in real life. I am right, aren't I?
^ This 👍
My thoughts on drifting in the last few GT games:

GT3 - Very easy to drift, not so realistic but fun!
GT4 - PD goes waaaay overboard with the 'kick back' effect that happens at the end of a slide from too much counter steer or sudden throttle lift. Almost impossible to drift, not realistic!
GT5P - Most realistic drift physics do date (in my opinion). Tricky, but manageable, as in real life. Somewhere in between GT3 and GT4 as far as difficulty.
GT5tt - Something is just off, drifting with a 900 deg wheel is damn near impossible yet easy as cake with a controller?

GT5 will hopefully be somewhere in between prologue and the time trial physics-wise, so a lot different from GT3 - a good thing.
This is spot on correct to my thoughts too! :)👍
 
A waste basket becomes a helmet when you put it on your head. A television becomes a vehicle for suicide when you bring it into the bathtub. There may be an intent to a design, but you are just debating philosophical points when you begin speaking of "the essence of racing."

Grip racing is a motorsport, much like drifting, and as such, each car is modified for its particular purpose. Don't get too stuck to your definitions.

And that's philosophy too, kind of archaic isn't it? I guess you're right about creativity here, you can use a car for whatever rings your balls, I'm sorry, bells. But I am not going to pretend I will cry much if drifting physics is not very good in GT5. Now I'll be moving along.
Thank you for your patience.
 
I agree that my video looks like rabbit on drugs but that is just way the car handles in GT5 TT demo. I can not step in like i can in GT5: P

here is me in 350Z in GT5: P

 
This squabble in this thread is pathetic.

In my opinion, phil_2001 has a point. Drifting has a smaller worldwide following than the likes of Formula 1 because it can be boring and repititave. I've watched competitions, seeing the first car do a track is impressive. Watching another 20 cars copy the same style is boring. The best drifting i've seen is virtual. The best grip racing i've seen was very much real.

eight6er, if you can't see someone elses opinion without calling them a troll, it's your problem, not thiers.

And seriously, between the two of you, what's with the double posting.

Grumpy rant over.
 
Back