Is drifting GT3 style going to be possible in GT5?

  • Thread starter Thread starter tsuchiya
  • 70 comments
  • 5,605 views
This squabble in this thread is pathetic.

In my opinion, phil_2001 has a point. Drifting has a smaller worldwide following than the likes of Formula 1 because it can be boring and repititave. I've watched competitions, seeing the first car do a track is impressive. Watching another 20 cars copy the same style is boring. The best drifting i've seen is virtual. The best grip racing i've seen was very much real.

eight6er, if you can't see someone elses opinion without calling them a troll, it's your problem, not thiers.

And seriously, between the two of you, what's with the double posting.

Grumpy rant over.

The problem is he is stating his opinion like it is fact and making assumptions without knowing what he is talking about. This thread is not about the popularity of drifting or if you find it boring, it is about the protrail of drifting in GT series.
 
And that's philosophy too, kind of archaic isn't it? I guess you're right about creativity here, you can use a car for whatever rings your balls, I'm sorry, bells. But I am not going to pretend I will cry much if drifting physics is not very good in GT5. Now I'll be moving along.
Thank you for your patience.

💡 :lol: 💡

:cheers:

This squabble in this thread is pathetic.

In my opinion, phil_2001 has a point. Drifting has a smaller worldwide following than the likes of Formula 1 because it can be boring and repititave. I've watched competitions, seeing the first car do a track is impressive. Watching another 20 cars copy the same style is boring. The best drifting i've seen is virtual. The best grip racing i've seen was very much real.

eight6er, if you can't see someone elses opinion without calling them a troll, it's your problem, not thiers.

And seriously, between the two of you, what's with the double posting.

Grumpy rant over.

The portion about F1 smacks me as funny. As of late, and I like F1, boring and repetitive have been exactly what Formula One races have been accused of being. In the last year, much of the excitement has been stemming from all of the controversies:

•Rules changes
•Attempts to engineer more passing (to stir excitement)
•Hamilton/Mclaren scandal of 2009 (not to forget the 2007 one with Ferrari, Mclaren and Renault)
•Renault/Piquet Jr. 2009 crash controversy over Piquet's 2008 Singapore GP crash

I enjoy all motorsport to an extent and they all have predictable (boring) and unpredictable moments.

To the OP: I don't think that we know the whole physics story of GT5 yet, and we (I) haven't seen a video of anyone attempting to drift at the conventions where GT5 has been available for public play.

With regard to the GT5 TT, we really don't know enough about it to make any definitive pronouncements as to its physics (setup was almost non-existent) or how they will relate to GT5. Unfortunately, we will just have to wait and see.

​
 
I had Mk2 Escorts and Capris when I was a spotty yoof quite quickly perfected the art of going sideways round roundabouts, and snaking up the road on the exit (the 2.8 with LSD was best for that) It's a terrific feeling looking through the passenger window, wheels on full lock going waaap waaap waaap with the throttle to keeps the wheels spinning, the sound of twin Janspeeds echoing of the shop windows... ahhh those where the days
cloud9.gif


But to take that to a racing track and and then call it a sport? Well I cant really argue with that as even something so mind numblingy boring and pointless as syncronised swimming is an sport (at olympic level!) so you can drift your heart out if you want, but I'll be going round tracks the quick way thanks.

And I'm not knocking it - just saying it doesnt tickle my fancy -and GT5 would be none the less without it
 
I'm hoping for a middle ground between the GT5TT and GT5P in terms of drifting physics.
I'm not very much into drifting but I definitely like to do it sometimes, and I definitely hope that the oversteer/drift physics are improved upon over GT5TT.
 
I had Mk2 Escorts and Capris when I was a spotty yoof quite quickly perfected the art of going sideways round roundabouts, and snaking up the road on the exit (the 2.8 with LSD was best for that) It's a terrific feeling looking through the passenger window, wheels on full lock going waaap waaap waaap with the throttle to keeps the wheels spinning, the sound of twin Janspeeds echoing of the shop windows... ahhh those where the days
cloud9.gif


But to take that to a racing track and and then call it a sport? Well I cant really argue with that as even something so mind numblingy boring and pointless as syncronised swimming is an sport (at olympic level!) so you can drift your heart out if you want, but I'll be going round tracks the quick way thanks.

And I'm not knocking it - just saying it doesnt tickle my fancy -and GT5 would be none the less without it

I drove a 2.8 injection capri back from london for my friend last year and had a laugh, nice sound with 3 branch manifolds too:tup:
There is a big difference between going around roundabouts and coming up to a corner at high speed, throwing it sideways really early without hitting the brakes to slow down. I know many people think they can drift because they can go around roundabouts or kick the arse out on bends, but when they try drifting for real they realise it's not really that easy.

I hope in GT5 they get it right, because it's not like there is a seperate physics for drifting, so the way I see it is if you can't drift realistically it means there is something wrong with the physics, which will effect everyone in some way.
 
What is all the fuss about drifting? This is not a drift game, call me oldfashioned but I don't care for drifting, I care for speed and fast track times. Drifting is a fetish, blame the japanese for it. :D
Driving sideways a car sounds stupid enough, let alone doing it.

Absolutely agree; this obsession with unnecessary tire wear just seems so lowlife to me, so idiotic.

Do you have to wear your helmet backwards and lose 30 IQ points to get the extra bonus?
 
Why don't you try it and see, I'm sure you would get a HUGE bonus.
 
Drifting determines how the physic engine handles things on the limit. So if you can't drift like in real life then the car physics are not correct period
 
I hope in GT5 they get it right, because it's not like there is a seperate physics for drifting, so the way I see it is if you can't drift realistically it means there is something wrong with the physics, which will effect everyone in some way.

Exactly this. If the GT5 physics are correct, you should be able run a few quick grip laps then when you get bored, kick the back out around and slide through a few turns without being deterred by poor overseer dynamics!

It doesn't matter if you want to drift or not, the way the car behaves after the limit of grip is reached is directly related to how it behaves under grip. There is only one type of physics, the correct one!
 
Absolutely agree; this obsession with unnecessary tire wear just seems so lowlife to me, so idiotic.

Do you have to wear your helmet backwards and lose 30 IQ points to get the extra bonus?


Somebody wins the intolerance award... :odd:

If we are going to complain about tire wear, then we might as well have an outright ban on all motorsport.

If I had no interest at all in drifting, when it comes to punters online, I like to have the options available so that I am not just suffering an out of control spinout; bye-bye tarmac.
 
exactly this. If the gt5 physics are correct, you should be able run a few quick grip laps then when you get bored, kick the back out around and slide through a few turns without being deterred by poor overseer dynamics!

It doesn't matter if you want to drift or not, the way the car behaves after the limit of grip is reached is directly related to how it behaves under grip. There is only one type of physics, the correct one!

+1
 
Back