IS F1 2013 WORTH BUYING ???

• Thread starter Pichon617
  • 59 comments
United States
Boston, MA
PICHON617
Hello fellas I'm thinking about buying this game but I would like some info on it 1st because codemasters has let me down before so I don't want to give my $$$ away for a game that's not worth it's price tag. So if you have this game please list the pros & cons. I also drive with wheel G27.

Last edited:
I am not a huge fan of F1 in general but I LOVED F1 2011. I played through the entire campaign with my friend from the UK. I had an insane amount of fun with F1 2011 co-op campaign. It also gives you a lot of options for gameplay difficulty including damage, ai difficulty, and much more. You also get to run practice laps while friends set up their cars. Stunning graphically too. Dynamic weather is also very nice.

We plan to pick up F1 2012 and 2013 eventually. So if 2013 is anywhere near as good as 2011 then my answer is yes, pick it up. I would recommend playing as a co-op if you can. Price should be around $25-$35.

If you're a fan of F1, and like to pretend you're an F1 driver winning races and championships, then F1 2013 should be great for you. The career mode's pretty great, working your way up to a top team is fun, the AI is pretty challenging (a little stupid at times though) and the graphics are the best in the series yet. But there are some problems, the handling of the classic cars is pretty bad (the 80s at least), the young driver test is boring and it'll probably be irritating to play once the first race of F1 2014 is done with.

I called 3 gamestops & targets around my area all sold out I'm pissed

I have never been able to find these F1 games locally. I had to buy mine online. Ebay or Amazon.

It has never been released in stores in North America. That's why you can't find it. It's currently only available as digital download. Though I got an early release physical North American version off ebay that wasn't officially sold.

If you're a fan of F1, and like to pretend you're an F1 driver winning races and championships, then F1 2013 should be great for you. The career mode's pretty great, working your way up to a top team is fun, the AI is pretty challenging (a little stupid at times though) and the graphics are the best in the series yet. But there are some problems, the handling of the classic cars is pretty bad (the 80s at least), the young driver test is boring and it'll probably be irritating to play once the first race of F1 2014 is done with.
The classic F1's would be the main reason why i would pick this game up (thinking about it). What's wrong with them exactly? Too much boost? :D

Also i own F12012, is '13 slightly better in all regards, so it would warrant a purchase? And last but not least how are the physics?

The physics feel very similar to F1 2012. To be honest I can't really pinpoint any large differences, but I haven't played F1 2012 in a while. The tire wear is very fast in this game. CM said that it's realistic, but I think it's too extreme because the AI tire wear seems to be much slower. Either the AI tire wear is modeled differently (which CM denies) or the AI is extremely good at managing their tires. But no matter how I drive, I can't seem to get even close to the tire life of the AI, and they lap way faster than me in the progress! Usually the suggested tire strategy would be to use two sets of options and two sets of primes, but I always have to use all primes other than the set I qualified with just to last the entire race.

As for the classic cars, I can only speak about the 80's cars because I didn't get the 90's DLC. The cars just feel very loose and oversteery. They're fun to drive if you like that kind of thing, and I guess the cars were more difficult to drive back then so it's probably realistic. I'd be more interested in the DLC if there were more cars from the same year so that you'd be able to drive more comparable cars, but as it is there are only a couple of cars from each of the three different years in the 90's so I didn't bother getting it. For example, I would get it if they had 5 cars all from one year instead of having 2 cars from 92, two cars from 96, and two cars from 99. Even the 80's cars has 3 cars from 88.

The AI is faster across the difficulty levels, so it's possible that you'd have to drop one AI difficulty level to be comparable to F1 2012. Their qualifying pace is about right, but their race pace is astonishingly fast. Combined with their uncanny tire management, the races can be pretty tough. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me though, because the AI can put in lap times close to qualifying times (about a second off) at the end of the race on worn tires. In the real life 2013 season, the fastest lap is usually around 3-4 seconds slower than the pole lap. Even my teammate's fastest time of the race is always around 1.5s faster than mine, even though our qualifying times are always similar. The AI suck at passing though, so if you're in front it's easy to stay in front. But if the cars you're racing with get ahead of you it's almost impossible to catch them.

The biggest improvement over F1 2012 in my opinion is mid-session saves. I play 100% race length for all my races now because that is available.

Overall though, I love this game. I think it's simply awesome. My favorite CM F1 game in the series, and I have them all. I hugely favor this game over GT6. Racing the AI is incredibly fun.

Last edited:
How does it handle the DFGT wheel..
Grid 1 was a nightmare with the DFGT

It's a dog with the DFGT, the brake pedal doesn't have the right sensitivity, it's either 80-90% full on or off and you just can't get the qualifying lap times like that because even on the lowest level the AI lap times are ridiculously quick.

Unless there's some setting I'm missing.

If my road car had a brake like that I'd lose the vehicle every time I slowed down.

It's kinda spoilt the game for me. Well that and the non existent AI tyre wear.

Also I wish there was an option to turn tyre wear off, I mean I like a good simulator, but in a short race one minute your fine, the next corner ( and I do mean the next corner ) it can turn into an ice rink and you're off; again because of the DFGT's lack of brake refinement.

I presume they've scaled the tyre wear to race length though because when the tyres just go they just go.

Time to invest in a Fanatec CSR and pedals I'm thinking.

Well gotta say no AI tire wear spoils it really, graphically it's very impressive but if you have to fight with an unfair disadvantage from the start, there's no way you can put the AI difficulty on hard to begin with.

It's a dog with the DFGT, the brake pedal doesn't have the right sensitivity, it's either 80-90% full on or off and you just can't get the qualifying lap times like that because even on the lowest level the AI lap times are ridiculously quick.

If my road car had a brake like that I'd lose the vehicle every time I slowed down.

Also I wish there was an option to turn tyre wear off, I mean I like a good simulator, but in a short race one minute your fine, the next corner ( and I do mean the next corner ) it can turn into an ice rink and you're off; again because of the DFGT's lack of brake refinement.

I presume they've scaled the tyre wear to race length though because when the tyres just go they just go.

If the braking is that big of a problem, you can try turning ABS on.

Well gotta say no AI tire wear spoils it really, graphically it's very impressive but if you have to fight with an unfair disadvantage from the start, there's no way you can put the AI difficulty on hard to begin with.

I did some experimenting yesterday and found that to get the most realistic AI laps times I set AI difficulty to Legend when qualifying, and lower it to Expert for the race. That way, the AI's fastest laps during the race are about 3-4 seconds slower than qualifying. The lap times match up with real life 2013 times pretty closely like that. I don't know why they made Legend AI 2 or 3 seconds a lap faster than real life during the race.

This is for 100% race distance only. Playing on shorter distances is going to be different.

^ Well if they would simulate those pirellis tire wear should start to affect you after 5 laps, so it stays a bit unfair to say the least if you're starting to run on sleds and the bots are unaffected on fresh rubber + already lap very competent times to begin with.

Is tire wear more gradual and slowish in comparison to what it was in real life F1 last year?

I was playing a 100% Australian GP in career mode yesterday, and I started noticing the Primes dropping off after about 10 laps. Then they gradually lost grip until about 20 laps in when they suddenly "dropped off the cliff", so to speak. The Options took about half the time for those stages to happen. I guess in general you wouldn't experience dropping off the cliff very often, but I tried to do a two stop while most of the AI did three stops. If I did a three stop I wouldn't put the tires through that many laps. But this was only for the Australian GP, where the tire choices were Super Softs and Mediums. It would be different for different races.

But what I noticed was that even though the AI didn't seem to be as affected by tire wear (as in they were doing pretty quick laps at the end of their stints), they weren't really as quick as I would expect them to be on fresh tires. On Expert AI at the beginning of the race I was able to keep up with Alonso running rich fuel mixture in a Lotus running lean, and I kept up until Alonso pitted. I wanted the performance to be realistic rather than win every race, so I limited myself to lean mixture for the entire race. The problem was that at the end of the race I saved up so much fuel that I was super heavy, and the AI ended up lapping over 2 seconds a lap faster than me at the end of the race. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to do this. Maybe the AI are just slower at Melbourne. It's happened before in CM F1 games where the AI pace is uneven across different tracks. So I'd have to see how it goes in Sepang, which is a pretty tough race in my experience. Hopefully the AI will be around half a second to a second a lap faster then it would be perfect.

F1 2012 was fun for like a week or two, I got it for the PS3 and I don't know, everything about it was just uninspiring, Now I feel like an idiot for 1: not getting it for the Xbox 360, and 2: F1 2013 having the classic content that should've been in the game since F1 2011.

I don't know, it's just frustating that they still haven't done a better game than F1 Championship Edition but they're the only option if you want a modern F1 game on console. It's like the only incentive to play their latest installment is just for the new liveries.

F1 2012 was fun for like a week or two, I got it for the PS3 and I don't know, everything about it was just uninspiring, Now I feel like an idiot for 1: not getting it for the Xbox 360, and 2: F1 2013 having the classic content that should've been in the game since F1 2011.

I don't know, it's just frustrating that they still haven't done a better game than F1 Championship Edition but they're the only option if you want a modern F1 game on console. It's like the only incentive to play their latest installment is just for the new liveries.

Depends what you are looking in for the game. Most developers are slinging in DLC content in games such as GT6 and F1 2013. The turbo cars are very good to drive but there is a compromise in the graphics as they take you back to the old school layout. Don't know why they done this. But, yes it seems the game is just the same as the year before, however small changes in the driving physics and overtaking has changed making it a more enjoyable game to play. IMPO I reckon the capabilities of the PS3 are strecthed in games like F1 and GT6. The dynamic- nees if you like, just isn't there. In Project Gotham racing on the first Xbox you could move around dealerships in the first person view.

To me games these days have a lot to live up to.

On the other hand if you are just an enthusiast you will see past all these small things in games and enjoy it for what it is like me.

BRING ON THE 2014 SEASON!

Depends what you are looking in for the game. Most developers are slinging in DLC content in games such as GT6 and F1 2013. The turbo cars are very good to drive but there is a compromise in the graphics as they take you back to the old school layout. Don't know why they done this.
I actually like the yellowish effect, really reminds you of watching telly in Murray Walkers and James Hunts' days on those old 4/3 telly's.

Hearing conflicting reports though; are the classics fun and realistic to drive (turbo's acting like turbo's with the boost etcetera), or are they like @Awong124 says a bit loose and oversteery?

Those reports aren't necessarily conflicting. They can be fun if you like driving loose and oversteery cars. And I can't really comment on whether or not they drive realistically since I've never driven one in real life, but I guess they're how I would expect them to drive.

Also, the yellowish effect for the classics is an option. You can turn it off.

Those reports aren't necessarily conflicting. They can be fun if you like driving loose and oversteery cars. And I can't really comment on whether or not they drive realistically since I've never driven one in real life, but I guess they're how I would expect them to drive.

Also, the yellowish effect for the classics is an option. You can turn it off.
Well i got the impression that you meant loose and oversteery as in not realistic. None of us really knows how a real one drives, but you can be satisfied with the "supposed" realism the physics model recreates at least ;)

So describe them a little; how do the 80's cars handle different from the 90's cars from the 2013 ones? There should be big differences at least.

For the 80's cars i would expect something like heavier steering, longer braking zones and sudden boost.

Last edited:
I didn't get the 90's cars DLC. The 80's cars have somewhat sudden boost I guess, and less traction. To be honest I haven't driven them that much. I'm not really that interested in the classic content. Like I said before, I think it kind of sucks that the cars are so spread out over the different years of the decade. I also haven't driven the 80's cars on the same track as the modern cars, so I can't make any lap time comparisons.

Well that settles it, after reading your post and going around the internet seeing some other opinions, I'm going to pass. I don't want another Codemasters coaster or space eater.

I just received my copy in the mail today, had to tinker with my DFGT and in-game settings a little bit, but I eventually hit that 'sweet-spot' with them and my god, when you do it is a good game, puts GT to shame as far as Formula-cars go.

If you're a racing fan, a true racing fan (not Need For Speed racing) and can adjust quickly and well to various physics/gameplay quirks, and want to experience the classic F1 cars (the big attraction for me) it is definitely worth getting.

I've only driven 2 cars and 2 tracks so far (freetime is hard to come by lately), but it definitely provided a good glimpse into the game. 1st was the modern-day Ferrari @ Abu Dhabi for the 'Young-Drivers' test, not far different to 2012 imo, but still fun. Then 2nd was the Ferrari F1-87/88c at classic Brands-Hatch.
Lets just say I'm addicted :D, mostly thanks to that audio-bliss of a Turbo 1.5L F1 engine :drool:, as well as the realistic-yet-loose handling. It does not handle bad at all (those who say otherwise may just not understand how to drive it), it has less downforce and it's reflected respectively, and required a bit of a different approach to wrestle under control, but that challenge of controlling it should be seen as an attraction, rather than a discouraging notice.

I'm not going to try and go-on and review the game here, but I just wanted to say that I, Another DFGT user, am enjoying what I've seen thus far, it's not perfect with a DFGT (I'm keeping ABS on due to the DFGT's lack of hydraulic-feedback), but with a few controller-tweaks it's looking much more promising than GT6 in its current state of proclaimed-content-lacking status.

I just received my copy in the mail today, had to tinker with my DFGT and in-game settings a little bit, but I eventually hit that 'sweet-spot' with them and my god, when you do it is a good game, puts GT to shame as far as Formula-cars go.

If you're a racing fan, a true racing fan (not Need For Speed racing) and can adjust quickly and well to various physics/gameplay quirks, and want to experience the classic F1 cars (the big attraction for me) it is definitely worth getting.

I've only driven 2 cars and 2 tracks so far (freetime is hard to come by lately), but it definitely provided a good glimpse into the game. 1st was the modern-day Ferrari @ Abu Dhabi for the 'Young-Drivers' test, not far different to 2012 imo, but still fun. Then 2nd was the Ferrari F1-87/88c at classic Brands-Hatch.
Lets just say I'm addicted :D, mostly thanks to that audio-bliss of a Turbo 1.5L F1 engine :drool:, as well as the realistic-yet-loose handling. It does not handle bad at all (those who say otherwise may just not understand how to drive it), it has less downforce and it's reflected respectively, and required a bit of a different approach to wrestle under control, but that challenge of controlling it should be seen as an attraction, rather than a discouraging notice.

I'm not going to try and go-on and review the game here, but I just wanted to say that I, Another DFGT user, am enjoying what I've seen thus far, it's not perfect with a DFGT (I'm keeping ABS on due to the DFGT's lack of hydraulic-feedback), but with a few controller-tweaks it's looking much more promising than GT6 in its current state of proclaimed-content-lacking status.
After seeing your enthusiasm i might peep around in a bargain shelve soon (already own 2012 so buying this one at release would have been silly really).

Can you come back here and describe the classic cars a bit more when you try them out over time? Like you that's my main motivation to pick this game up so i wonder if they all have their own characteristics and are true to what they would have been like to drive physics wise. Seeing they span 2 decades there must be big differences between them all (or that's what i hope at least) ;)

After seeing your enthusiasm i might peep around in a bargain shelve soon (already own 2012 so buying this one at release would have been silly really).

Can you come back here and describe the classic cars a bit more when you try them out over time? Like you that's my main motivation to pick this game up so i wonder if they all have their own characteristics and are true to what they would have been like to drive physics wise. Seeing they span 2 decades there must be big differences between them all (or that's what i hope at least) ;)

I've only been driving the Ferrari F1 87/88c thus far, but once I've driven the others I'll let you know how they all are 👍.

I will say the audio of the engines and their respective aspirations (NA/Turbo) has been a delightful experience though.

Back