Is GT Sport Actually GT7? Kaz Himself Responds (Video)

United States
Long Beach, CA
Hi everyone,

We were lucky enough to interview Kazunori Yamauchi for a short while during a special Gran Turismo Sport presentation during E3 2016.

In the interview Kaz-san directly states where Gran Turismo Sport stands in the GT franchise and the answer may be controversial. Although, it might not be considering the amount of GT fans here!

Either way, we figured you would want to see it so hit the link below to watch the interview.

http://www.motorworldhype.com/2016/...-and-no-according-to-kazunori-yamauchi-video/

Interesting. So it's not a spin-off, this is the next full iteration of Gran Turismo for Kaz. And this is in all likelihood the direction that future Gran Turismos will take, as this is a "new age" of Gran Turismo.

Good interview, well done on clarifying that.

I do like how he BSes his way through the NEO question. :) There's no way he doesn't know exactly what's going on, he's far too high up in Sony and it's of direct consequence to him and his company. He knows, he's just not allowed to say. ;)

I do like how he BSes his way through the NEO question. :) There's no way he doesn't know exactly what's going on, he's far too high up in Sony and it's of direct consequence to him and his company. He knows, he's just not allowed to say. ;)

At first we felt similar but considering how quiet Sony was about the console over all and the fact that they were "Surprised" that Microsoft announced Scorpio makes us think that Sony was/is playing the Neo even closer to the chest than we may think.

At first we felt similar but considering how quiet Sony was about the console over all and the fact that they were "Surprised" that Microsoft announced Scorpio makes us think that Sony was/is playing the Neo even closer to the chest than we may think.
Kaz sits on Sony's board he knows exactly what the neo is.

Anyone surprised by this shouldn't be really... It's been stated many times from people who asked this direct question to him at the CopperBox Arena It's very much same response. GT Sport is very much the next GT Game and I even stated so myself when I got back in reply to some GTP Members on here :)

...Just watched the video. Interesting as always. It's a bit cumbersome to pass around the mic and answering the question twice - doesn't it cut the amount of questions one can ask within the allotted time? :irked:

Out of curiosity I clicked on the auto-generated subs and LOL'd so hard at the streaming "translation" whenever it was Kaz's turn to answer. That sure made my day!! :lol:

...Just watched the video. Interesting as always. It's a bit cumbersome to pass around the mic and answering the question twice - doesn't it cut the amount of questions one can ask within the allotted time? :irked:

Out of curiosity I clicked on the auto-generated subs and LOL'd so hard at the streaming "translation" whenever it was Kaz's turn to answer. That sure made my day!! :lol:

Thanks for watching! To be honest the translation does slow things down a bit but we weren't "specifically" given a certain amount of time. We were just told to not let it go on for too long out of courtesy for other media outlets there who also wanted to interview him.

We actually edited out several long pauses as the translator needed to some time look over his notes to catch up. The rough cut of the interview was nearly 10 minutes long but all things considered it really wasn't much of an issue for us at all.

Last edited:
You can't hear me ask it in the video but I asked that very thing and Kaz agreed. GT Sport is pretty much a reboot of the Gran Turismo franchise.

I personally think what PDI is doing with GTS is a good idea. Racing games aren't exactly the pinnacle of sales anymore.

There are 40 million PS4's out there right now, and PDI's best bet is to make a racing game with perceived realism. Not one that requires you to have a understanding in auto mechanics or has elements such as camber 100% right, but one that doesn't forget it's roots of being a video game.

There is a reason this page can be found on their website.

http://www.gran-turismo.com/us/products/gtsport/driving/

I mean how many people actually care if PDI's aerodynamic or tire model aren't correct? How many people out of the 40 million PS4's around the globe actually plan on purchasing a racing game in the next 12 months? I am sure developers of racing games wonder this very thing...

Very curious wording by Kaz regarding the comment " Real cars are easy to drive"
Yes they are, at 80km/h.
But at 200+ with 600hp, they're a different story.

Have we seen SRF removed as an option and it just happens for us..? I hope not.

Maybe it's the translation but the, "so it doesn't mean that there's going to be a seven after this" seems a little awkward. Wouldn't you just say, "so it means there isn't going to be a seven after this"? It almost sounds like he should have said, "so it doesn't mean that there isn't going to be a seven after this".

Nitpicking I know but I wouldn't be surprised at all if that turns out to be a mistranslation.

I think it is good to reboot something, but not in such a radical fashion. I was very happy with the way Gran Turismo has always been with collecting cars, progressing in races. I am honestly on the fence with Gran Turismo Sport. It has real life graphics and physics, but it's not the same. Perhaps, in two years they'll take the foundation of Gran Turismo Sport, improve upon it, and make an amazing traditional Gran Turismo game? I hope so!

Last edited:
I think it is good to reboot something, but not in such a radical fashion. I was very happy with the way Gran Turismo has always been with collecting cars, progressing in races. I am honestly on the fence with Gran Turismo Sport. It has real life graphics and physics, but it's not the same. Perhaps, in two years they'll take the foundation Gran Turismo Sport, improve upon it, and make an amazing traditional Gran Turismo game? I hope so!

...Best. Username. Ever.

It is nice to be vindicated. It has been clear from watching his interviews previous to this that this is what he has been saying all along and that logically there was no other option from his previous comments.

I personally think what PDI is doing with GTS is a good idea. Racing games aren't exactly the pinnacle of sales anymore.

There are 40 million PS4's out there right now, and PDI's best bet is to make a racing game with perceived realism. Not one that requires you to have a understanding in auto mechanics or has elements such as camber 100% right, but one that doesn't forget it's roots of being a video game.

There is a reason this page can be found on their website.

http://www.gran-turismo.com/us/products/gtsport/driving/

I mean how many people actually care if PDI's aerodynamic or tire model aren't correct? How many people out of the 40 million PS4's around the globe actually plan on purchasing a racing game in the next 12 months? I am sure developers of racing games wonder this very thing...
Correct is a matter of perception. When you look at some of the sims that are considered the most accurate, how many times have these changed with cars changing dramatically after a build? They said they were right the first time and then they completely changed it, then they changed it again and again. Each time they are apparently correct even though they are different. And people argue over if they are correct and which sim is more correct.

I care about things being correct buy it is the result I'm interested in not how they did it. I've seen enough of how iRacing builds a car from their own video on the subject to say that even with their incredible level of detail it still isn't realistic, it is still a fake car, the nature of our technology requires corners be cut and simulation needs to be simplified. So I care about cars driving correctly, both iRacing and Assetto Corsa are very good at simulating a car but each has obvious issues. I would be amazed if Gran Turismo were to outdo them and I suspect GTS will have its own issues.

But yes I care about things like the tire model and aerodynamics. These are critical in driving realistically because tires are the most important component on a car and aerodynamics is also key to the dynamics of a vehicle. From watching that video I do not feel like Kaz is saying they have made GTS gamey and sacrificed realism in these areas. The way I interpret his statements is that sims which claim to be real but are too hard to drive are not realistic, what I see him claiming is that GTS is more realistic than those and I'm looking forward to test such claims.

Clearly this is a big gamble for PDI, it isn't what people typically use a console for and clearly this is less of a game than past GT's which might initially seem like an bad move by many people. It is a decisive move toward being considered more sim and less simcade and who knows, after this is released it might completely shake the simcade perception and be widely accepted by hardcore sim racers as a real sim, again this might seem like a mistake to the majority. But I think if a Sim is realistic and accessible it can be big. We will all see soon enough if the gamble pays off and I really can't predict if it will because there are so many unknowns, so many decisions PDI would have had to make during the build that could potentially turn people off. I think being realistic is important and if they can be I think people will love it, iRacing is the most realistic it has ever been and it is the most fun to drive it has ever been but it is still frustrating due to what I consider to be a flaw in the tyre model, this still leads to strange behaviours when grip is lost leading to a somewhat unrealistic and frustrating driving experience. I think that a sim that drives just like iRacing but without this frustrating way cars lose control would both be more realistic and much more fun to drive and it would still line up with things Kaz has said.

I am quite happy with the direction GT Sports will (hopefully) take the franchise. I'm a GT-er since '97 when I just happened to be in Japan when the first installment was released and, after playing it at the SONY HQ in Ginza and on the street in the numerous "try-it-out" PS1 kiosks in Akihabara, I obviously brought it home with me. However, after 7 GT games with the same excruciating career grinding, garbage AI and crap collision dynamics, I have become tired of the whole GT phenomenon. I never even bothered with GT6 after my horrendous experience with GT5 and its pathetic online system. However, at that time, I had an absolute blast with V8 Superstars Racing, which had a small community that was absolutely fantastic to race with, not to mention that the connection and the racing actually worked. GT5 was an absolute catastrophe online for me, with constant disconnects and massive lag, not to mention all of the retards who should have been playing Demolition Derby instead of GT! Might have had something to do with me residing in Argentina, but then again I have never had problems playing other games online from Patagonia, even when playing in European P2P servers.

With that said, I would like to make a statement:

GT Sport will be the Warhawk of racing games.

For those who don't know about Warhawk, it was (is) a PS3 third-person shooter/war game released in 2007. It has no single player mode. It's 100% online. The press pronounced it DBA (dead before arrival) arguing that no-one would buy a game with no single player mode. It was a hit, and now, nine years later, people still play it. I'm 42, been gaming since the late '70s when my older brothers got an Atari for Christmas, and I can honestly say that Warhawk is one of the best, if not the best, game I have ever played in my life. Why? Because of the human element. By skipping single-player mode, Incognito was able to build the most-balanced, fun and fair online experience that, IMHO, ever created. The devs focused on making an online war game, and it shows. That was nine years ago when online console gaming was still in its infacy!

Obviously shooters and racing games are very different, but I believe that Kaz, since he has gotten into real racing, wants to bring a racing experience to us as close as possible to the real thing. And the only way to bring racing emotions to the table in a console game is to have us competing against fellow humans. Given PD's past record of regurgitation and absolute failure in creating an immersive racing experience in their previous titles, I still have my doubts about their ability to do this correctly. That said, I believe this new focus on online racing will be a blessing in disguise even for the most skeptical of GT fans, if he manages to pull it off.

In Warhawk it was simple: you teamkill, you are booted. Booted three times in one day, and you are banned from official servers for a while. And in P2P servers obviously a-holes would just be kicked. On top of that, the incredibly fair and balanced gameplay meant that you never felt cheated. Cheating is not possible in Warhawk. The devs just took the time to look over every detail. The game is absolutely mind-blowing on the fun-o-meter. But then they released Starhawk a few years later, with online + single player campaign. It sucked. The balance was gone. There were exploits that could be used to pin the opposing team in a bad situation.

With that said, back to GTS and the importance of PD getting Warhawk-like balance into the game. They better have the matchmaking algorithm tip-top or a lot of us are going to get angry really fast if we are looking for clean racing and we are matched with demo-derby idiots. The points system for sportsmanship must be fair and balanced. The algorithm that monitors our racing style and dictates consequences for our actions must be spotless. The game must not allow cheating in any way such as corner cutting, collision exploits, etc...

This is not an easy task. It is Warhawk x 10. In online racing it is naturally more difficult to punish offenders since there are no black & white rules like teamkills. I have two decades of mediocre GT games (albeit all wonderful driving games - as long as you're alone) to be worried that PD is royally screwing up here. Then I also have the feeling that Kaz & Co might be finally doing what they always wanted to do, and that could bring us a completely revolutionary game-changer that could modify the future of racing sims for years to come.

GT was always subtitled "The Real Driving Simulator". I agree with that, as the physics are very decent and the series as a whole throughout its entire lifespan has excelled in the recreation of hot-lapping. In spite of all the elitist PC triple-screen rFactor/iRacing/Automobilista/name-your-PC-game claiming that GT has always been "simcade", I do not agree with that at all. GT has always had a spectacular driving model. However, as a racing simulator, it has always been below par, mostly due to the pathetic AI and collision dynamics. I am pretty confident that PD, with this upcoming title, has a real treat in store for us and that we will never look at racing games the same way again. I hope I'm right and I hope that Kaz knows what he's doing. This can go either way: total racing revolution or the death of GT. I am betting on the former....

The way I read it all over the past few interviews and press conferences is this is a new start of the franchise..Remade rebooted and remastered for the PS4 and future (neo/VR) hence the delay.

They are starting at this point (E-Sports) and online options as this is the way the PS4 is heading (putting in a beginners career and offline arcade so you can still set up your own AI and difficulty) and new direction of photo Scapes for GTS taking advantage of the PS4 Hardware.

In the mean time future cars are being worked on, tracks, dlc and career modes & seasonal Events can now easily be added into this new graphics engine by downloading them (I am sure discs will be faded out in the next few years) As he stated in another interview DLC will be added quite regular and I said this before but I see a lot of games going this way with DLC add ons and an Evolution of the original game i.e Drive Club so there are no 1,2,3,4,5,6 etc anymore but Updates or add ons via downloads to the game each year.
My thought is they could bring out a 'Bikes' add on or 'Rally' add on or 'Hot hatch' add on just like what PCars and DClub have done. It remains to be seen how many of these will be 'Free' and what is paid. So as @7HO has said all along this was his plan and there will be no long career or hundreds of cars and this is the future and where gaming is heading.

I personally have recently enjoyed GT6 coming in late to it so I would have liked a mix of the two but I am happy to wait to see how this pans out and will support this all the way and will be buying it on day one and probably most of the dlc as I have grown up with GT1/2/3 this will always have a soft spot for me, the graphics looks better each new video and the sound is coming on strong.

What also comes across in all video clips is his enthusiasm with this 'new direction' and franchise so don't be surprised if there is some hidden surprises between now and release day about future updates.

The way I read it all over the past few interviews and press conferences is this is a new start of the franchise..Remade rebooted and remastered for the PS4 and future (neo/VR) hence the delay.

They are starting at this point (E-Sports) and online options as this is the way the PS4 is heading (putting in a beginners career and offline arcade so you can still set up your own AI and difficulty) and new direction of photo Scapes for GTS taking advantage of the PS4 Hardware.

In the mean time future cars are being worked on, tracks, dlc and career modes & seasonal Events can now easily be added into this new graphics engine by downloading them (I am sure discs will be faded out in the next few years) As he stated in another interview DLC will be added quite regular and I said this before but I see a lot of games going this way with DLC add ons and an Evolution of the original game i.e Drive Club so there are no 1,2,3,4,5,6 etc anymore but Updates or add ons via downloads to the game each year.
My thought is they could bring out a 'Bikes' add on or 'Rally' add on or 'Hot hatch' add on just like what PCars and DClub have done. It remains to be seen how many of these will be 'Free' and what is paid. So as @7HO has said all along this was his plan and there will be no long career or hundreds of cars and this is the future and where gaming is heading.

I personally have recently enjoyed GT6 coming in late to it so I would have liked a mix of the two but I am happy to wait to see how this pans out and will support this all the way and will be buying it on day one and probably most of the dlc as I have grown up with GT1/2/3 this will always have a soft spot for me, the graphics looks better each new video and the sound is coming on strong.

What also comes across in all video clips is his enthusiasm with this 'new direction' and franchise so don't be surprised if there is some hidden surprises between now and release day about future updates.
Kind of ironic that in your one example of games going the way of DLC/Updates, the studio that created the game no longer exists. I don't know of any major game out today that has any intent of surviving just on updates and DLC.

Kind of ironic that in your one example of games going the way of DLC/Updates, the studio that created the game no longer exists. I don't know of any major game out today that has any intent of surviving just on updates and DLC.

A very valid point there ;) but Drive Club was always chasing its tail since the early launch and not being ready. I feel that is the way games are heading, who knows they may release a new one each year or a mix of the two:tup:

Excellent interview, thank you. There is nothing ambiguous at all: this is a reboot, and no GT7 is not next. At least, it won't be called that.

The physics comment is good, it means they focused on the core feedback loop as always, something often neglected.

Kaz's enthusiasm does come over and he seemed to enjoy the format as well, it had a natural conversational flow despite the mic-passing and Kaz was easily able to embellish and correct T-san's live translations. I suspect it was a little harder for Translator-san than normal, though...

Loved the Neo answer. "I don't think anything official has been said..." = "wait for the official announcement". And T-san trying not to laugh despite Kaz's beaming face.

Back