Is GT Sport Actually GT7? Kaz Himself Responds (Video)

You said it @Imari.

Given the development time taken since GT6, there's no way in the world anyone could convince me that it's all gone into GTS; that'd be absolutely ridiculous
I'm sure some of it has gone into a game we're familiar with, but as of right now, GTS will be "GT7". Read up on what Kaz said. :)

I'm inclined to believe, as I think you do, that GTS is a convenient spin-off, a value-adding product that essentially comprises a small subset of the assets already developed for GT7.
It isn't a spinoff. Sure, it's a smaller package with FIA regulated eSports gameplay, but don't say it's a spinoff. If Kaz said it was a spinoff, sure. But he didn't.

Kaz
The reason we called it Gran Turismo Sport was that we really wanted to incorporate the FIA events.
Thinking about it now, yeah, we could have called it Gran Turismo 7. But it's got so many features, we wanted it to be different.

300th post yay

No matter what Kaz has said we won't really know what GTS truly is until the game that follows it arrives.
Just like with GTA, huh? GTA 3, then two "episodes" that weren't at all linked with GTA 3, and certainly not spinoffs, GTA VC, GTA SA. Then came GTA 4. Doesn't really make sense, does it? Same with GT Sport. While it may not be the GT7 Kaz said it could be, it doesn't mean anyone gets the right when/if GT7 comes out to say "aahaaa! See?? It wasn't GT7! Told ya!!!" If you know what I mean. It's as "big" as GT7, but yet it went in another direction and called it GT Sport.

Man, I'm tired. Hopefully you understand what I mean. :)

Just like with GTA, huh? GTA 3, then two "episodes" that weren't at all linked with GTA 3, and certainly not spinoffs, GTA VC, GTA SA. Then came GTA 4. Doesn't really make sense, does it? Same with GT Sport. While it may not be the GT7 Kaz said it could be, it doesn't mean anyone gets the right when/if GT7 comes out to say "aahaaa! See?? It wasn't GT7! Told ya!!!" If you know what I mean. It's as "big" as GT7, but yet it went in another direction and called it GT Sport.

Man, I'm tired. Hopefully you understand what I mean. :)

What I meant was the style and focus of the next game will determine what GTS can be considered as. Those GTA games you mentioned, they were all to the same general formula and nothing changed for 4, it was still essentially the same gameplay and focus. They're all mainline GTA games.

With GTS they've completely changed the style of the game and it's focus. It's very different to GT1-6. If the game that follows it is similarly different then we can safely say GTS was the first of a new generation of GT games and that style is now 'it' for GT. If however the next game comes out and it's essentially back to the same old formula of GT1-6 then GTS would be considered a spin-off. It would be the very definition of the term.

I wonder if GT Sports reception will truly dictate if it is indeed the GT7 Kaz claims it is. I think if it bombs. . . they will say it isnt GT7 and release a true GT7 with the bells and whistles of past games.

With GTS they've completely changed the style of the game and it's focus. It's very different to GT1-6. If the game that follows it is similarly different then we can safely say GTS was the first of a new generation of GT games and that style is now 'it' for GT. If however the next game comes out and it's essentially back to the same old formula of GT1-6 then GTS would be considered a spin-off. It would be the very definition of the term.

Kinda sorta not really.

If the intention is to make GT Sport the new normal for GT, then it's mainline. If for some reason GTS happens to flop horribly and they go back to making the next 1500 car bloatware, I don't think that changes that Kaz intends this to be a mainline entry.

There's lots of series that have had major changes in core style. Need for Speed is all over the place, from Porsche Unleashed to Underground to Shift to The Run to Hot Pursuit. Final Fantasy is barely recognisable against the early titles. Even stuff like Mario has had significant shifts in how the game is presented. I hardly think what Polyphony is doing with GTS is even in the same league as some of that. It's still a racing game with a big focus on photography and graphical quality, it's just got less car modification in it (as far as we know).

Which also happens to be what Kaz said it would be, GT1-6 is "the last generation GT" and now with GT Sport, this is the beginning of the new generation GT. If they ever go back to their old recipe(for lack of better words), I'm thinking they'll only spoon in a handful of old ingredients and keep what GTS brought as new, fresh and good ingredients. Overall the next game will be good. They will (hopefully) learn from their mistakes in GT6, and correct the "meh" stuff for GTS, and make a game suitable for old GT gamers, and also cater to new to GT gamers. GTS will most likely be a good game, although it won't be the same as we're used to. I think this will be a nice addition, see what both them and us can learn from a new game. And then as I said above, make a game that mixes old with new. :)

So if GT1-6 is "the last generation GT", and GT Sport is the beginning of the new generation, why would you call it GT7?

Sure, it's PD's game and obviously they can call it what they like.
But from what we've seen it clearly doesn't follow the formula of what we know Gran Turismo to be.

I don't think GT Sport is 'equivalent' to GT7 at all.
Not in the traditional form of GT.
Kaz can state that he could of called it GT7, but I think it's only in reference to the game (in his mind) to be the next full title, therefore a possible title of GT7.
Ergo, if the next title is called GT Sport 2, will we hear Kaz suggest he could have called it GT8?

But I don't consider GT Sport to be a spin-off either.
I think it will now become the norm.
I question if we will ever see a Gran Turismo labelled GT7 or above again.

I still think the only reason he's saying "Could've been called GT7" is just to put at ease those who automatically think that a new name in a long series = spin off potentially not worth bothering with. By saying he could have called it GT7 he's just trying to reassure people it is a full entry in the series with as much content and they've just used a different name. How true that turns out we'll have to see but on the face of it, it appears to be a little white lie.

syntex123, HSV and Imari, I totally get where you guys are coming from, but I tend to agree with Samus.

AFAIK, Kaz wasn't pressed on the issue; the "answer" was given, but it sounded to me a little like a throwaway line and it certainly wasn't a definite "announcement".

It may be that I'm deluded on the workload / content thing too, but IMHO there's a nearly-completed monster waiting in the wings. Obviously I really want to believe this, so I openly acknowledge the fact that I could be affected by my own hype, being a traditional GT-series nut 'n all. As hard as I try 'though, I just don't see the staff : output ratio we've become accustomed to throughout the series, one that AFAICT has been growing at both ends of the equation.

We'll see.

By saying he could have called it GT7 he's just trying to reassure people it is a full entry in the series with as much content and they've just used a different name. How true that turns out we'll have to see but on the face of it, it appears to be a little white lie.

And so regardless of how it turns out, he's calling it GT7 by another name. He's the guy that created it. If he says so, then it is. It doesn't matter if it's reassurance, or lies, or whatever. Kaz is the last word. He says it's mainline, it's mainline.

It's the equivalent of arguing with Kojima of all his mind-bending plot holes and retcons. The story is what Kojima says it is. He is the walking definition.

syntex123, HSV and Imari, I totally get where you guys are coming from, but I tend to agree with Samus.

AFAIK, Kaz wasn't pressed on the issue; the "answer" was given, but it sounded to me a little like a throwaway line and it certainly wasn't a definite "announcement".

From what I remember, he's mentioned it several times. People keep asking him, because they want to know. In fact, he's sort of gone back and forth on the matter a bit.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-10-28-gran-turismo-sport-is-not-gran-turismo-7

http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/ps4/news/a794751/gran-turismo-sport-is-gran-turismo-7-after-all/

http://www.motorworldhype.com/2016/...-and-no-according-to-kazunori-yamauchi-video/

I doubt after being asked several times over 9 months his answer is a throwaway. He's almost certainly given it some thought, especially given that his position on it has evolved over time.

And so regardless of how it turns out, he's calling it GT7 by another name. He's the guy that created it. If he says so, then it is. It doesn't matter if it's reassurance, or lies, or whatever. Kaz is the last word. He says it's mainline, it's mainline.

Kaz talking about GT Sport vis a vis GT7 is quite familiar indeed:
"I want to stress that it's not a subset to the series," Yamauchi said, despite there being "limitations" to the PSP's hardware specifications.
The car enthusiast also said that he'd considered naming the game Gran Turismo Portable or Gran Turismo Spyder, but didn't want to give the impression that the PSP entry was anything less than a "fully-specced Gran Turismo."

Kaz may be the last word, but that doesn't mean Kaz's word is actually in line with the expectations it brings when he says it.

Kaz may be the last word, but that doesn't mean Kaz's word is actually in line with the expectations it brings when he says it.

Oh, the man talks bollocks like it's going out of style. But as far as what's a "real" Gran Turismo title, it's whatever he wants it to be. He could make a platformer with ballerinas and butterflies and say it was the next iteration of the Gran Turismo franchise if he wanted. Everyone would tell him that he's a mental, but it's his series so he gets to call it.

I mean, his idea of what any given game is going to be seemingly changes on a daily basis as it is, so having a wonky definition of what constitutes a Gran Turismo game is nothing new.

Arguing about which games a designer wants to call a part of his series seems like arguing with someone about how their name is pronounced. It's pronounced however they want it pronounced, no matter how idiotic or nonsensical it may be.

For all we know he'll change his mind later and GTS won't be GT7. But for now, he says it is so it is.

I Posted this elsewhere but I figure it's appropriate here too.

PD have the statistics from just about every GT6 User who's let the game go online.
These numbers show how many cars each user has purchased, driven, sold,
They show which tracks and races and in what mode the user has played, and how many thousand laps you have done of Midfield, or Bathurst of the 'Ring.
ANd how many times you re-tried the same seasonal event in the search of the top of the leaderboard

I'm of the opinion that PD have built a game based on the numbers collected from the users out there, across the planet, and how they have used the previous games.

While the (us) diehards around here "generally" expect more than what we believe we will get, I suspect Kaz and PD have built a game based on what the majority of people do with it.

From what I remember, he's mentioned it several times. People keep asking him, because they want to know. In fact, he's sort of gone back and forth on the matter a bit.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-10-28-gran-turismo-sport-is-not-gran-turismo-7

http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/ps4/news/a794751/gran-turismo-sport-is-gran-turismo-7-after-all/

http://www.motorworldhype.com/2016/...-and-no-according-to-kazunori-yamauchi-video/

I doubt after being asked several times over 9 months his answer is a throwaway. He's almost certainly given it some thought, especially given that his position on it has evolved over time.
Thank you, Imari; I didn't realise he's been asked so much 'cause I figured he would've done his best to avoid the question.

I realise he sways, as they say, "hither and thither" in the wind like a reed, but I've still got a feeling he's hiding something around GT7, if it even exists. The thing is, to me, that it's a fact that it either exists or it doesn't, and if it doesn't one would hope (even in light of his wishy-washy manner of handling such things) that he'd at least be able to say so by "promising" that GTS has replaced the traditional GT for the foreseeable future.

When he promised the course maker, regardless of the messed-up timeframe of delivery, he did so unequivocally and we at least knew he meant it at the time. I haven't seen this sort of assuredness on his part when handling this matter of GTS' being GT7.

Thanks for responding, mate. I respect your intelligence and manners, and really am grateful.

Thank you, Imari; I didn't realise he's been asked so much 'cause I figured he would've done his best to avoid the question.

I realise he sways, as they say, "hither and thither" in the wind like a reed, but I've still got a feeling he's hiding something around GT7, if it even exists. The thing is, to me, that it's a fact that it either exists or it doesn't, and if it doesn't one would hope (even in light of his wishy-washy manner of handling such things) that he'd at least be able to say so by "promising" that GTS has replaced the traditional GT for the foreseeable future.

When he promised the course maker, regardless of the messed-up timeframe of delivery, he did so unequivocally and we at least knew he meant it at the time. I haven't seen this sort of assuredness on his part when handling this matter of GTS' being GT7.

Thanks for responding, mate. I respect your intelligence and manners, and really am grateful.

I suspect that if a "traditional" Gran Turismo exists or is in development, at the very least they won't call it GT7. They might call it GT8, but the likelihood is that they abandon the numbering scheme altogether and go for another word based title. Or just do what so many companies have done and reuse the original Gran Turismo title, sans any qualifiers. Tomb Raider and Most Wanted can do it, so can GT. Or maybe Gran Turismo Alpha, or Gran Turismo X, or some other sort of "cool" symbol. Gran Turismo 1080 (it's three times better than 360!). :P

Names are so easily changed that there's no real reason for them to go anywhere near GT7 with all the weirdness surrounding it.

But yes, if we're talking about whether there's a "traditional" Gran Turismo game in the background somewhere, I'm sure that if they're not making it already there's a backup plan to transition to it if GTS turns out to be a massive flop.

Thank you for the informative reply, Imari.

But yes, if we're talking about whether there's a "traditional" Gran Turismo game in the background somewhere, I'm sure that if they're not making it already there's a backup plan to transition to it if GTS turns out to be a massive flop.
That's what I wanted to hear, brother Imari. Thank you, matey!

I'm truly, hopelessly devoted to GT, and shamelessly so. :bowdown:

Last edited:
I Posted this elsewhere but I figure it's appropriate here too.

PD have the statistics from just about every GT6 User who's let the game go online.
These numbers show how many cars each user has purchased, driven, sold,
They show which tracks and races and in what mode the user has played, and how many thousand laps you have done of Midfield, or Bathurst of the 'Ring.
ANd how many times you re-tried the same seasonal event in the search of the top of the leaderboard

I'm of the opinion that PD have built a game based on the numbers collected from the users out there, across the planet, and how they have used the previous games.

While the (us) diehards around here "generally" expect more than what we believe we will get, I suspect Kaz and PD have built a game based on what the majority of people do with it.
They did the same with GT5 as well - which explains GT6. Not many people even did an event in the beginner hall, less and less completed events in each subsequent hall with the lowest percentage in the Endurance hall. Most players concentrated on the online seasonals. Remember the leveling? You did whatever was best to get the experience needed. Once the seasonals turned up with the best experience and money - that was the thing to do.

PD saw that and decided that was what we wanted even though it was their own game design that channeled us in that direction. Classic self fulfilling prophecy.

I'm pretty sure I've read at some point that Kaz stated back in 2015 that GT7 will have its release before 2017. April 2014, GTSport #1 trailer was shown at the Paris game show ( or what ever the name was ). Then when interviewing Kaz he said that GTS is actually GT7 :confused: .I was shocked by this statement. He also said that he would've called it GT7 Sport..

Back