Is GT Sport ready for the Official FIA Championship? (POLL)

  • Thread starter Thread starter adstomko
  • 70 comments
  • 5,711 views

Is GT Sport ready for the Official FIA Championship? (POLL)

  • YES

    Votes: 46 26.4%
  • NO

    Votes: 58 33.3%
  • The pros and cons are balanced (50%)

    Votes: 19 10.9%
  • Not really. There are too many issues (25%)

    Votes: 36 20.7%
  • Not at all! The game is broken! (0%)

    Votes: 3 1.7%
  • The game is totally ready! (100%)

    Votes: 6 3.4%
  • It's not far off from ready. (75%)

    Votes: 63 36.2%

  • Total voters
    174
Messages
566
England
England
Messages
adstomko
Hi all,

I'm interested to hear some opinions/thoughts on the current state of GT Sport. Is it ready to show off the FIA badge?
In my opinion, it is far from it.
I may sound like I'm ranting about the game, but there are serious issues with the game which need to be addressed.
The penalty system, 'blue screen,' etc prove to be huge issues.
Post your thoughts below!

EDIT: Simply vote 'yes' or 'no,' Then choose the '%' of where the game stands.
Example: Select 'No' and 'Not at all! The game is broken! (0%)'

I had a small issue with the poll.
 
Last edited:
The penalty system is the same for everyone and it results in only 1-2 changes in position max at the end of the race, unless you've been taking part in a demolition derby. I also haven't had a blue screen in Sport Mode in about 4 months now, and it's clear not all races will count in the final standings to account for any issues that are beyond your control.
 
What else are we gonna do, wait another 6 months? :lol:

Haven't had the Blue Screen since February, Penalty system is the best iteration we've had since launch... lets just get on with it.

Its not perfect, but nothing is.
 
Where's the option for "I don't play online so don't know whether it is or not" :p

More seriously, though I don't play online, I think at some point you have to start whether you're all the way there or not, if you wait till everything is at 110% you'll never run the events at all.
 
The penalty system is the same for everyone and it results in only 1-2 changes in position max at the end of the race, unless you've been taking part in a demolition derby. I also haven't had a blue screen in Sport Mode in about 4 months now, and it's clear not all races will count in the final standings to account for any issues that are beyond your control.
What else are we gonna do, wait another 6 months? :lol:

Haven't had the Blue Screen since February, Penalty system is the best iteration we've had since launch... lets just get on with it.

Its not perfect, but nothing is.
Why is it that I always see you guys in pairs in almost every thread? Even your DR's the same :odd:
--
I'm betting that the top split races (the live ones) will have human stewards, so that's the whole penalty system out of the window. But even without the human stewards, it's as mthomas said- it's the same for everyone. It only becomes a problem when there's a mix of DR S-B drivers, which never happens in the FiA races.

Other than that really, I don't see any other problems. The blue screen happens to a select few, and even then the live events will probably have a GTS version that's tailored to handle these live events. BoP is as perfect as it gets considering it balances over 30 inherently inbalanced cars
 
With penalty system sucking ass so much I don't think so... voted no (75%).

Also, the game crashed on me like 3 times last week.
 
The penalty system is pants, and there are only so many times you can race Gr.3 and Gr.4 at the same few enjoyable tracks.

But the basis and pure gameplay is very good. Netcode for GTSport is generally fantastic, the live events will be fantastic and the presentation is fantastic.

Obviously it can't be perfect, but I feel like the game still needs a good ironing.
 
What else are we gonna do, wait another 6 months? :lol:

Haven't had the Blue Screen since February, Penalty system is the best iteration we've had since launch... lets just get on with it.

Its not perfect, but nothing is.

Yourself and @mthomas_95 seem to post a lot together. It must be just a coincidence...

It's easy to say 'let's get on with it' when you are not affected by it as much. You seem like you are doing your best trying to put the game in a positive light since you have been invited to the Nürburgring 24h, eliminating almost any negativity towards the game. Just because it doesn't affect you doesn't mean it's not affecting others.

This game has an FIA badge next to it. This is not exactly something to be taken for granted. And it seems that way, given how the penalty system works and the glitches still in the game. The 'best' iteration doesn't mean it is working well.

You can clearly see the poll suggests I'm not the only one who is affected by the faults. I still receive blue screens.
I can't regain DR as quickly as yourselves, mainly because I can't take part in 99% of FIA races, which you both do. In fact, most of it is down to the woeful penalty system because of other drivers' etiquette.
So if you have one bad race, you get to regain DR by doing the other FIA race/vice versa. Also, some drivers don't have the time available to create further accounts like yourself and do extra daily/FIA races to practice or have a 'less serious' account.



The penalty system is the same for everyone and it results in only 1-2 changes in position max at the end of the race, unless you've been taking part in a demolition derby. I also haven't had a blue screen in Sport Mode in about 4 months now, and it's clear not all races will count in the final standings to account for any issues that are beyond your control.


It doesn't always result in 1-2 position changes at all. You can still receive 10 second penalties for being brake-tested. I think 10 seconds costs more than one position...
And why should I receive a penalty for another driver's mistake?
I still receive blue screens, like many other drivers.


Coming from somebody who has raced at the pinnacle of grassroots motorsport, and I have discussed this with others who I have raced in real-life, they all say the same thing. The penalty system and other factors punish drivers who have all the necessary attributes, and that's why hardly any of us play the game anymore.
Funnily enough, the majority of real-life racing drivers appear to be rated B, A or low A+ because they either solely hotlap now or can't adapt to the shambolic problems with the game
 
Last edited:
Yourself and @mthomas_95 seem to post a lot together. It must be just a coincidence...

Why is it that I always see you guys in pairs in almost every thread? Even your DR's the same :odd:

I'm not even going to respond to this, just going to tag him so he can laugh at it: @mthomas_95

It's easy to say 'let's get on with it' when you are not affected by it as much. You seem like you are doing your best trying to put the game in a positive light since you have been invited to the Nürburgring 24h, eliminating almost any negativity towards the game. Just because it doesn't affect you doesn't mean it's not affecting others.

This game has an FIA badge next to it. This is not exactly something to be taken for granted. And it seems that way, given how the penalty system works and the glitches still in the game. The 'best' iteration doesn't mean it is working well.

You can clearly see the poll suggests I'm not the only one who is affected by the faults. I still receive blue screens.
I can't regain DR as quickly as yourselves, mainly because I can't take part in 99% of FIA races, which you both do. In fact, most of it is down to the woeful penalty system because of other drivers' etiquette.
So if you have one bad race, you get to regain DR by doing the other FIA race/vice versa. Also, some drivers don't have the time available to create further accounts like yourself and do extra daily/FIA races to practice or have a 'less serious' account.

Alright, Alright, Alright *loads machine gun*

Its no coincidence that the guys invited to N24 don't really complain about the penalty system, its ultimately because, we don't really trigger the penalty system that often.

We don't really throw aggressive moves, nobody really ever misses a braking point at the sharp end of a top split pack, and 95% of the time if I get a penalty, if probably my fault or there's something I could do differently. Y'know getting a penalty in the heat of the moment is really frustrating, but when I go back and evaluate it, there's almost always something I could do differently and I get a lot less frustrated by it.

Now is the penalty system perfect? No. Does it even work that well in lower splits? Absolutely not. (Mainly because of the nature of everyone driving so much more unpredictably.) Is it something PD still needs to work on? Yes.

That said, is it perfectly serviceable for showcasing a battle between 30 of the best in Europe? Absolutely.

In A+ Races, I wouldn't change a great deal with the penalty system right now. If you don't like it, to put it plainly, you need to adapt your driving style, that's all I can really tell ya. Complaining on the forums about it doesn't make you improve at dealing with it, that's the harsh reality.

For lower ranks, they absolutely need to completely rework it, this 'punish both drivers in a collision' thing doesn't work when you have a driver tapping your ass into every corner.

The Blue Screens suck, but you can reduce their frequency significantly by re-booting the game more frequently, but there's absolutely a memory leak in the game somewhere, it sucks and it needs fixing.

I don't have any additional accounts other than a very low level US account that I made to quickly check out the US server for about 4 hours, dunno where you got that idea from. I do all races on my main account, I don't attempt to 'pad out' my DR in any way, you can see that by my Kudos graph.

and Finally, a pet peeve of mine. If you 'don't have time' to practice, you shouldn't be in the high level events anyway. People who didn't have time to practice don't end up at the Olympics :lol:

PS: This isn't real-life racing, its GT Sport. Adapt or perish :p
 
I play Sport Mode every day, and I'm very much looking forward to the event next week. I can't see there being any issues with the penalty system at the highest level of competition; it will be far too clean for that.
 
I'm not even going to respond to this, just going to tag him so he can laugh at it: @mthomas_95



Alright, Alright, Alright *loads machine gun*

Its no coincidence that the guys invited to N24 don't really complain about the penalty system, its ultimately because, we don't really trigger the penalty system that often.

We don't really throw aggressive moves, nobody really ever misses a braking point at the sharp end of a top split pack, and 95% of the time if I get a penalty, if probably my fault or there's something I could do differently. Y'know getting a penalty in the heat of the moment is really frustrating, but when I go back and evaluate it, there's almost always something I could do differently and I get a lot less frustrated by it.

Now is the penalty system perfect? No. Does it even work that well in lower splits? Absolutely not. (Mainly because of the nature of everyone driving so much more unpredictably.) Is it something PD still needs to work on? Yes.

That said, is it perfectly serviceable for showcasing a battle between 30 of the best in Europe? Absolutely.

In A+ Races, I wouldn't change a great deal with the penalty system right now. If you don't like it, to put it plainly, you need to adapt your driving style, that's all I can really tell ya. Complaining on the forums about it doesn't make you improve at dealing with it, that's the harsh reality.

For lower ranks, they absolutely need to completely rework it, this 'punish both drivers in a collision' thing doesn't work when you have a driver tapping your ass into every corner.

The Blue Screens suck, but you can reduce their frequency significantly by re-booting the game more frequently, but there's absolutely a memory leak in the game somewhere, it sucks and it needs fixing.

I don't have any additional accounts other than a very low level US account that I made to quickly check out the US server for about 4 hours, dunno where you got that idea from. I do all races on my main account, I don't attempt to 'pad out' my DR in any way, you can see that by my Kudos graph.

and Finally, a pet peeve of mine. If you 'don't have time' to practice, you shouldn't be in the high level events anyway. People who didn't have time to practice don't end up at the Olympics :lol:


You shouldn't have to adapt our driving style if your driving style is already legitimate. I didn't trigger the penalty system that often until 1.13, but what am I supposed to do when somebody on a straight or out of corner turns into me and I get the penalty? It's unavoidable.

It needs a rework in every category. Us A+ drivers still receive ridiculous penalties.

It shouldn't be our responsibility to have to reboot the game very 5 minutes. That suggests the game is broken, and PD are not doing anything about it when it's their problem.

To summarise, if you have a bad run of races through no fault of your own and therefore your DR lowers, it will likely become a nightmare to regain, especially now as you need a very high rating to join best FIA lobby.

I play Sport Mode every day, and I'm very much looking forward to the event next week. I can't see there being any issues with the penalty system at the highest level of competition; it will be far too clean for that.

You can be the cleanest driver in the game and still receive penalties. I do my best to be the cleanest driver.

They are close GT friends (insert Inbetweeners picture here)
 
Its almost like they are one and the same.
Well they are not so you can all be assured of that and put aside the inferences. They happen to share opinions which, believe it or not, does happen occasionally on the internet.
 
You can be the cleanest driver in the game and still receive penalties. I do my best to be the cleanest driver.

Could not disagree more, 'Mr. Send it up the inside and defend every position to the absolute DEATH even if I know the guy behind me is a well established dirty driver' :lol:
 
Could not disagree more, 'Mr. Send it up the inside and defend every position to the absolute DEATH even if I know the guy behind me is a well established dirty driver' :lol:

That is still classed as being a clean driver. It's not my fault the game can't register or deal with dirty drivers or clean overtakes.

Basically, I race how I would've done in a competitive British karting race. And if the game can't handle that, it's the game's fault, because I know my racecraft is legal and fair
 
You can be the cleanest driver in the game and still receive penalties. I do my best to be the cleanest driver.
Literally speaking, that is true; practically speaking, that is quite exaggerated. There is no reason not to hold FIA events on the game, as long as penalties don't spoil the outcome, which is unlikely to happen in a grid full of clean, experienced guys who play public Sport Mode races regularly.
 
Literally speaking, that is true; practically speaking, that is quite exaggerated. There is no reason not to hold FIA events on the game, as long as penalties don't spoil the outcome, which is unlikely to happen in a grid full of clean, experienced guys who play public Sport Mode races regularly.

The problem is, is that reaching/finding the lobby which has the best drivers is burdened with the penalty system. So whilst trying to raise DR, you are often confronted by somebody who is prepared to destroy or at least reduce it.
 
It doesn't always result in 1-2 position changes at all. You can still receive 10 second penalties for being brake-tested. I think 10 seconds costs more than one position...
And why should I receive a penalty for another driver's mistake?
I still receive blue screens, like many other drivers.


Coming from somebody who has raced at the pinnacle of grassroots motorsport, and I have discussed this with others who I have raced in real-life, they all say the same thing. The penalty system and other factors punish drivers who have all the necessary attributes, and that's why hardly any of us play the game anymore.
Funnily enough, the majority of real-life racing drivers appear to be rated B, A or low A+ because they either solely hotlap now or can't adapt to the shambolic problems with the game

I've noticed a few times you've been 'brake tested' they have actually braked at roughly the correct point (Monza a few weeks ago the guy infront braked at the white line across the track at pit exit, you were in the slipstream and still on full throttle). It is annoying if I've received a penalty for another driver's mistake, but most of the time they get the bigger penalty than I do so I don't let it get to me (95% of the time). People need to stop freaking out over an 'undeserved' 1 second penalty and look at the bigger race picture. I also feel a [citation needed] for your last point, Esteban Ocon is a B but I feel he has a legitimate excuse only to have done 11 races!

I didn't trigger the penalty system that often until 1.13

Nobody did, hence why they had to change it. This incident for example didn't result in a penalty even though this top 24 race was briefly turned into a game of car bowling!


I can't regain DR as quickly as yourselves, mainly because I can't take part in 99% of FIA races, which you both do. In fact, most of it is down to the woeful penalty system because of other drivers' etiquette.
So if you have one bad race, you get to regain DR by doing the other FIA race/vice versa. Also, some drivers don't have the time available to create further accounts like yourself and do extra daily/FIA races to practice or have a 'less serious' account.

I sat at the cap for 3 weeks straight because even when I started mid-pack, where the carnage potential is high, I kept out of trouble by driving smartly. I don't make half moves all the time in an attempt to hustle the guy ahead into mistakes, and if 2 cars are battling up ahead I hang back a bit and often get past 1 or both of them eventually as they get too invested squabbling amongst themselves. If the car in front is making mistakes, chances are you're going to get caught up in an accident eventually as they lose control and you're right underneath them. Anyway, the vast majority of overtaking in the game and in real-life is a simple slipstream/outbrake at the end of a straight so no need to force mistakes all the time. It's not like I'm never aggressive either, my pass for 5th in last weekend's top 24 Suzuka race was around the outside of 130R :lol:

As for us having duplicate accounts, I've only done a dozen or so races on a US account just out of pure interest/boredom. You've done nearly 200 more races than I have, so I'm not entirely sure where this 'time available' argument of yours comes from.
 
I've noticed a few times you've been 'brake tested' they have actually braked at roughly the correct point (Monza a few weeks ago the guy infront braked at the white line across the track at pit exit, you were in the slipstream and still on full throttle). It is annoying if I've received a penalty for another driver's mistake, but most of the time they get the bigger penalty than I do so I don't let it get to me (95% of the time). People need to stop freaking out over an 'undeserved' 1 second penalty and look at the bigger race picture. I also feel a [citation needed] for your last point, Esteban Ocon is a B but I feel he has a legitimate excuse only to have done 11 races!



Nobody did, hence why they had to change it. This incident for example didn't result in a penalty even though this top 24 race was briefly turned into a game of car bowling!




I sat at the cap for 3 weeks straight because even when I started mid-pack, where the carnage potential is high, I kept out of trouble by driving smartly. I don't make half moves all the time in an attempt to hustle the guy ahead into mistakes, and if 2 cars are battling up ahead I hang back a bit and often get past 1 or both of them eventually as they get too invested squabbling amongst themselves. If the car in front is making mistakes, chances are you're going to get caught up in an accident eventually as they lose control and you're right underneath them. Anyway, the vast majority of overtaking in the game and in real-life is a simple slipstream/outbrake at the end of a straight so no need to force mistakes all the time. It's not like I'm never aggressive either, my pass for 5th in last weekend's top 24 Suzuka race was around the outside of 130R :lol:

As for us having duplicate accounts, I've only done a dozen or so races on a US account just out of pure interest/boredom. You've done nearly 200 more races than I have, so I'm not entirely sure where this 'time available' argument of yours comes from.



It's not just one penalty though, is it? It's a concertina effect of penalties. Like I said earlier, they are not always 1 second.
My point is that the game would be much more fun and we would see much better racing if the penalty system was more lenient and consistent.

The reason why I have done that many races is because I used to pick up and play it, particularly for the first 60% of races.

I don't enjoy the game anymore because of the new penalty system. It doesn't fit my driving style and nor does it fit many other people's driving style. The art of overtaking and defending is deeply affected by it, which is a massive shame, because the game shines in other departments.

Consequently, I'm probably not going to race again. Maybe the odd hot lap here and there
 
Presentation wise it’s def ready, BOP is the best it’s been IMO. Cars available are good but the tracks are lacking for variety sake so there is some work to do.

As for the penalty system, I think we all forget how difficult it is to actually implement, Got to compliment PD because they have been trying to make it better. But you’ve got to understand every corner has hundreds of variables. It has to take different talent into consideration, some go into a corner slow and out fast, some go in fast, some take a tight line others wider and so on and it has to make a decision in seconds when us humans can’t decide who was at fault full stop! At the end of the day the penalty system we have is still much better than no penalty system at all. Even though at times it gets it wrong!

I personally have been putting way too much pressure on myself to try and be top 10 and get as much DR as I can but at the end of the day I’m just not and ruining the game for myself.

Really looking forward to start of the FIA season so I say bring it on
 
If the FIA are willing to eyeball the finals and finally add some REAL stewarding, I'd say it's ready. But if this ridiculous robo-stewarding is going to be all that suffices for penalty decisions, I'd say, if the FIA go ahead and approve it all, it simply shows they are in it for the money and nothing else. As are PD.
 
No penalty system will ever be perfect, even using human referees.

Unless all drivers race in the spirit of no contact and fair play, all of the time and never make a mistake, some sort of penalty system is needed.

At the top level, for the GT Sport FIA Top24 Superstar drivers, I believe that the game is ready, except for the "both get a penalty" thing. Fix that and there isn't much left to do. Until then, drivers will have to cope with it, as it is.

Of course there are penalty issues in daily races, when not matched with same level drivers, but that isn't what we are talking about here.
 
The penalty system is not perfect yet. It definitely needs the final touches to the May update.

In my opinion, you should only get the chance twice in the race to reduce the penalty. Once during the pit stop and after the finish.
 
FIA will never really be ready until we move to a per-track BoP. There's too many cars that are completely uncompetitive on certain circuits due to the one-size-fits-all approach to BoP. The WEC already moved to a per-track BoP last year and GTS should too.

I also think the Ferrari 458 needs to be replaced with the 488. The 458 is a great car, but it hasn't been raced extensively in a couple years.

On the penalty system, I think PD needs human track marshals for each FIA race who can review incidents. Understandable they can't do this for Sport mode, but FIA should be held to a higher standard.
 
Basically, I race how I would've done in a competitive British karting race. And if the game can't handle that, it's the game's fault, because I know my racecraft is legal and fair

I can see your point mate, but maybe if you can see areas where the game has deficiencies, and you're aware of how aspects of your driving (whether rightly or wrongly) are causing you to run up against these deficiencies more often than you'd like, it could be worth trying a different approach?
It's not the game's fault if you fail to adapt to it.

But I'm not having a go, I understand your frustrations :cheers:
 
FIA will never really be ready until we move to a per-track BoP

I disagree, per-track BOP would make pretty much all cars in the same group the same. It makes sense for a Veyron to be great on straight but horrible in corners, for example, and that should stay. And a car might be dominant at one track in a FIA Season, but then be right at the back in the next race, and that seems fair.
 
I disagree, per-track BOP would make pretty much all cars in the same group the same. It makes sense for a Veyron to be great on straight but horrible in corners, for example, and that should stay. And a car might be dominant at one track in a FIA Season, but then be right at the back in the next race, and that seems fair.

Per-track BoP wouldn't change the handling characteristics of each car, it would just bring their power levels closer into alignment to make for closer racing on each track. It's worked out fine for WEC, I don't see why it would be worse in GTS.
 
Back