Is GT Sport ready for the Official FIA Championship? (POLL)

  • Thread starter Thread starter adstomko
  • 70 comments
  • 5,712 views

Is GT Sport ready for the Official FIA Championship? (POLL)

  • YES

    Votes: 46 26.4%
  • NO

    Votes: 58 33.3%
  • The pros and cons are balanced (50%)

    Votes: 19 10.9%
  • Not really. There are too many issues (25%)

    Votes: 36 20.7%
  • Not at all! The game is broken! (0%)

    Votes: 3 1.7%
  • The game is totally ready! (100%)

    Votes: 6 3.4%
  • It's not far off from ready. (75%)

    Votes: 63 36.2%

  • Total voters
    174
I can see your point but adjusting BOP per track would negate the handling characteristics because you would just lose others on a straight. Having strong cars at different tracks makes it interesting and mixes the grid.

Plus watch any of the top races and plenty of different makes in those races and none are struggling for pace. Only two cars in GR4 that are good at one track IMO is the cayman and the Alfa, great at brands less so anywhere else.
 
A few things that need correction:

1. Disconnect/Game Crashes - Granted, they will happen and whatnot but having to lose so many DR points because of it needs some amending.
2. Penalty System - Anything that means less penalties for drivers that did nothing wrong would help.
3. Damage - Personal opinion but this should be set at heavy or change it so that damage is easier to incur.
4. Throttle mapping - I might be the only one that really cares but reverting this back to what it should be is going to make it more competitive and may resolve a lot of small issues all at once.
 
Agree with throttle mapping, just needs to be linear why it’s not is beyond me. Unfortunately given how long the game has been out I can’t imagine they see it as an issue so would guess we are stuck with it.
 
No matter what PD does, people are going to complain, say it's not fair, or have suggestions. That's not a reason to stop the official FIA championship. Could things be better? Of course, but at what cost? By cost, I'm not only referring to the money that goes into development, but the time involved, the possibility of introducing new bugs, making some players happy while upsetting others, etc.

I mainly watch F1, which is sanctioned by the FIA, and every race there is some sort of dispute or controversy. GT Sport (and other racing games/sims) have some unique advantages over real life. The biggest one is the availability for thousands of people to comptete. F1 can't keep 10 teams and 20 drivers happy on the best weekend, why would PD expect everyone to be completely satisfied?

Racing isn't anywhere near the most "fair" sport out there. Luck (or probability if you don't like the term luck) is undeniably a part of racing. This obsession to make the game absolutely fair and error free is a pipedream. If anyone can't accept that, then I feel that's on them.
 
The real question would be why it is NOT ready.

Indeed , the penalty system is total crap , in yesterday's race at Tsukuba i touched slightly the guy in front of me and he received a penalty that sended him last (wtf PD) , but if you don't drive like Verrstapen and don't go for stupid moves you will be alright at 95% of the time.

Other than that , i think GT Sport is totally ready.
 
Interesting to see how many are not convinced it's ready, particularly how many believe it's far from the finished product.

The more I think about it, the more I believe PD are just trying to milk it from the FIA certificate.
It's a similar approach to EA with FIFA, predominantly a money-making machine who doesn't listen to their community whatsoever.
Selling peripherals for double the price supports this - surely the pricetags are partly their responsibility.


In my view, PD got overly-excited with the FIA badge but have very little experience in what defines racing.
A few things do shine, such as free content and the net code.

Like @DriftMethod states, motorsport requires some luck. In this game however, the driver requires a lot of luck.
Some have implied that 'Verstappen' moves are prohibited, but even clean defending and clean overtakes have a high probability of coming with a penalty.

I don't see many real-race drivers in my community play the game because of the faults, otherwise they would play it.

Penalties such as being it from behind into turn 1 at Monza, paint-trading on outside of corner because the other driver ran wide, 10 second penalties for essentially nothing, they should not happen for a serious game.

Aspiring to be a serious racing game, GT fails to deliver IMO. It's miles away from what it could've been, because there are game-breaking issues
 
Last edited:
Penalties such as being it from behind into turn 1 at Monza, paint-trading on outside of corner because the other driver ran wide, 10 second penalties for essentially nothing, they should not happen for a serious game.

Aspiring to be a serious racing game, GT fails to deliver IMO. It's miles away from what it could've been, because there are game-breaking issues

I mean you'd get a penalty in every other game with contact penalty's too, and don't typically get a 10 second penalty unless you play a big part in something that could've easily been avoided.

Its not aspiring to be a serious racing game at all, hence the simplified simulation handling model, and the large collection of assists. Its a sim that is accessible for a casual audience. It is not a hardcore sim, never was, never will be, lets not forget our majority audience here are C and B rankers that pop on for a race after work or on the weekends, thats completely fine and I know a lot of those guys are thankful for how accessible the game is. The more points you make, the more I begin to think you are actually looking for iRacing here. 'Serious game' comes up a bit too often in your posts to be talking about GT :P
 
I mean you'd get a penalty in every other game with contact penalty's too, and don't typically get a 10 second penalty unless you play a big part in something that could've easily been avoided.

Its not aspiring to be a serious racing game at all, hence the simplified simulation handling model, and the large collection of assists. Its a sim that is accessible for a casual audience. It is not a hardcore sim, never was, never will be, lets not forget our majority audience here are C and B rankers that pop on for a race after work or on the weekends, thats completely fine and I know a lot of those guys are thankful for how accessible the game is. The more points you make, the more I begin to think you are actually looking for iRacing here. 'Serious game' comes up a bit too often in your posts to be talking about GT :p

It sounds like you haven't experienced the game enough.
You can still get 10 second penalties behind another driver who makes a mistake mid-corner, with yourself nowhere to go already in the braking zone. This happened to me at Monza's Lesmos and first corner of Infield A II . I barely touched the driver in front. Race over from there. Also, you get penalties for being driven into on a straight. How the hell can I avoid that?

I know it's not iRacing, which is something I wish I had deep enough pockets for, because then I am able to race consistently at the top with a better system. However, being awarded a trophy at the FIA awards later this year for winning a casual 'simulator' alongside real-world winners is rather unprofessional.

So, it shouldn't really have the FIA badge alongside it if they don't know much about racecraft and not looking for the game to be serious.
 
It seems like the FIA GT championships could be heading in a good direction. No more Top 24 Superstars that ruin the points other drivers have been building up to make a 100-200 pt lead, only to come second in the race and lose the championship to some guy with 600 pts less (didn't have a good 3rd race, other 2 are about the same). Races are spaced out, giving everyone a chance to do some practice and have break (instead of nagging them day in, day out, while they have some more important matters to attend to in real life). And now points from 4 of 8 races count, which can make the season more competitive (more fights for points).

However, it still needs some work, DR and SR rankings seem a bit off (A+ drivers are slower than some As, etc.), penalty system must get a revamp (since penalties are much too unfair) and BoP... PD WHY DO YOU ADD WEIGHT TO THE SLS GR4!? Seriously, BoP is one the big problems with GT SPORT. Gr.3 is kinda getting consistent (although the speed difference on straights and fuel consumption between some cars is mind boggling), but Gr.4 has no balance whatsoever.

Also, weather. I don't mean cloudy or misty/foggy (although the second one would be great to have on every track, Nurburgring looks amazing with it right now), I mean rain. A wet track, with wet tyres, and almost no predictability of what the grip is going to be like at the next corner. Can even up the field a bit, and really show drivers with talent of car control.
Maybe more races at night would be good too.
 
It sounds like you haven't experienced the game enough.
You can still get 10 second penalties behind another driver who makes a mistake mid-corner, with yourself nowhere to go already in the braking zone. This happened to me at Monza's Lesmos and first corner of Infield A II . I barely touched the driver in front. Race over from there. Also, you get penalties for being driven into on a straight. How the hell can I avoid that?

I know it's not iRacing, which is something I wish I had deep enough pockets for, because then I am able to race consistently at the top with a better system. However, being awarded a trophy at the FIA awards later this year for winning a casual 'simulator' alongside real-world winners is rather unprofessional.

So, it shouldn't really have the FIA badge alongside it if they don't know much about racecraft and not looking for the game to be serious.

At the high level we create the racecraft ourselves :p, also mistake mid corner or not, its the responsibility of the following car to safely execute the pass, if someone is erratic in front of you, back off a bit and wait for your opportunity maybe? If the game was 'realistic and serious', you'd have destroyed front aero anyway for rear ending the guy. In iRacing you want to avoid contact even more than this game for that very reason.

A common misconception, you get a penalty for ALL car contact, your fault or not, this is because the second some scumbags figure out where they could brake check to give the guy behind a penalty and drive off with no penalty, they absolutely would.
 
At the high level we create the racecraft ourselves :p, also mistake mid corner or not, its the responsibility of the following car to safely execute the pass, if someone is erratic in front of you, back off a bit and wait for your opportunity maybe? If the game was 'realistic and serious', you'd have destroyed front aero anyway for rear ending the guy. In iRacing you want to avoid contact even more than this game for that very reason.

A common misconception, you get a penalty for ALL car contact, your fault or not, this is because the second some scumbags figure out where they could brake check to give the guy behind a penalty and drive off with no penalty, they absolutely would.

When we both race at the highest level, the dirty and dumb race craft is created by 30% of the field, so you're absolutely right there! :lol:
I've experienced that too much. Overtaking one of the fastest drivers on the game and getting T-Boned on last corner happened to me recently. So, if you're fast and a little dirty, you can still win because the clean driver gets punished. :lol:

You're still missing the point. I was 0.3 secs behind on both occasions. They haven't broke too early, but lost control mid-corner and they were not erratic drivers. Even the best make mistakes. Others' mistakes shouldn't punish the vulnerable.
I wouldn't have damaged my aero because, like I said in the last post already, I barely touched him. You couldn't even really see or hear the contact or anything.:lol:

And that's why now, if one of the fastest drivers on the game does not have a high DR to get into the best lobbies, it becomes a vicious circle of being hit from behind, totally mistreated etc.
 
Last edited:
You're still missing the point. I was 0.3 secs behind on both occasions. They haven't broke too early, but lost control mid-corner and they were not erratic drivers. Even the best make mistakes. Others' mistakes shouldn't punish the vulnerable.
I wouldn't have damaged my aero because, like I said in the last post already, I barely touched him. You couldn't even really see or hear the contact or anything.:lol:

I do believe this was actually addressed in the most recent patch, it uses netcode to figure out how hard you hit the guy and then give out the proportionate penalty, this netcode was wonky and completely inconsistent prior to April update, seems a bit more solid since. Still could do a bit more consistency, but it doesn't seem too bad now. Noticed a definite improvement there.
 
How ridiculous is it, the whole race crashes, they know it was there fault and not somebody rage quitting, yet we still lose DR points, how can it be ready
 
I would say to tweak the penalty system a bit more, there are still a bit of BS penalties (I got a 10 sec. Penalty countless times for someone running into me after they spun out) and OPEN THE DAMN SETTINGS UP for the FIA events!
If we can have aids on why can't we tweak a setup? If folk don't want to tweak the setup, so be it but setups make a noncompetitive car competitive.

The game ain't gon be perfect; I know this, but there's still some stuff PD could do to maximize the enjoyability of the game before moving to the actual FIA season.
 
And improves already competitive cars just as much, making zero difference except making BoP a nightmare. I remember in the opening week or so there was a Gr4 Daily Race with tuning and the OP car at the time (Nissan GTR) just got even more dominant.

Was this during the open beta? The only time I remember the Gr.4 GTR being op was the beta. Hasn't even been touched by people since then..

Not to mention, the BoP at the beginning of the game WITHOUT tuning was a nightmare of it's own. I've been in rooms (Japanese lobbies in particular) that allow tuning and setups.
Contrary to popular belief, setups aren't going to make a slow driver an elite driver. It helps better suit a car for a particular course. If they aren't willing to do a "by track bop" they might as well let us adjust settings to compensate.

I mean Idk, maybe this wish is more suited towards the Daily races?
maybe PD just wants to see who has raw speed atm, "Who's fast right out the box?"

If that's the case I can definitely understand why they'd restrict setups for FIA but it'd still be fun and exciting to have setups.
 
Was this during the open beta? The only time I remember the Gr.4 GTR being op was the beta. Hasn't even been touched by people since then..

Not to mention, the BoP at the beginning of the game WITHOUT tuning was a nightmare of it's own. I've been in rooms (Japanese lobbies in particular) that allow tuning and setups.
Contrary to popular belief, setups aren't going to make a slow driver an elite driver. It helps better suit a car for a particular course. If they aren't willing to do a "by track bop" they might as well let us adjust settings to compensate.

I mean Idk, maybe this wish is more suited towards the Daily races?
maybe PD just wants to see who has raw speed atm, "Who's fast right out the box?"

If that's the case I can definitely understand why they'd restrict setups for FIA but it'd still be fun and exciting to have setups.

Nissan was still OP until the first BoP change at the end of October which murdered it, it's been reasonably competitive since the last BoP update. I remember lots of people complaining about tuning because they were suddenly 2-3 seconds slower than the leaderboard times than normal, and they haven't opened tuning since.

The BoP is designed with the stock setup limitations in mind. I'd love to be able to change the diff on the MR Gr3 cars to stop them sliding too much, but all of them except the Audi are made quick on the straights to compensate for that. It wouldn't hurt for Daily C to open tuning every so often because there are clearly people who really enjoy that aspect of the game, but with FIA the priority is to find the best drivers and we're supposed to be able to adapt to anything.
 
but with FIA the priority is to find the best drivers and we're supposed to be able to adapt to anything.

I'm hip. That takes me back to my point where I was saying,
maybe PD just wants to see who has raw speed atm, "Who's fast right out the box?"
Cause I been thinking about it as of late, I hate to admit it cause I am a huge advocate for tuning, but if PD wants to find a raw driver with pure speed, they have to make the cars as generic as possible (without jeopardizing their unique characteristics of course) in order to scout them out efficiently.
 
Priority is to find the best drivers and we're supposed to be able to adapt to anything.

They probably won't find the very best drivers in the game because of the issues the game has. The game demands a lot of playing time to race for 75000 DR consistently, as other factors come into play. Reaching 75k is quite simple but almost impossible to maintain if you don't race for the majority of the week. It'd doable, but not sustainable.
Some don't race as often and maintain 75k, but very few

They should separate DR ratings for FIA races from dailies, instead of having some FIA drivers scared to see their DRs drop. I don't blame the drivers for doing this - it's a stubborn system.

The Manufacturer's Cup is still in a bit of a mess, with some brands being so far behind in almost every department.

NOTE: I'm not saying anybody is doing this right now, but those who are invited to GT events will likely be reluctant to criticise the game and give it undeserving praise. I hope this will not be the case
 
If they would allow only LSD and gearboxes changes to cars everything would be a lot more easier to balance imo, MR cars with stock LSD settings are just nightmares to drive right now, you have to double the effort to even try getting closer to lap times of some of the FR cars and then when tyre wear starts kicking it becomes silly to even try driving those things.
 
The game demands a lot of playing time to race for 75000 DR consistently

Once you reach 75,000 it actually takes 0 playing time to keep it consistently. I would like it to take maybe 50 DR off for each inactive day, as in theory I could've not played at all in the last month and still keep my rating. After a month of not playing I'd definitely not be worthy of being at the cap.

They should separate DR ratings for FIA races from dailies, instead of having some FIA drivers scared to see their DRs drop. I don't blame the drivers for doing this - it's a stubborn system.

I'm starting to think this as well as there's too many guys high up in A+ who aren't that quick in an FIA lobby but still beat everyone in the Dailies so regain any lost DR. The difference in quality between FIA/Dailies was already quite noticeable and pre season has made the gap grow more.

If they would allow only LSD and gearboxes changes to cars everything would be a lot more easier to balance imo, MR cars with stock LSD settings are just nightmares to drive right now, you have to double the effort to even try getting closer to lap times of some of the FR cars and then when tyre wear starts kicking it becomes silly to even try driving those things.

They can be difficult to drive but to be honest apart from the Audi they are all still competitive. The last 4 test seasons had at least one Ferrari in the Top 5, and won last weekend. @Tidgney's BoP tests suggest the McLaren and Lamborghini are also right up there in terms of speed.
 
After hearing about the race where everyone got disconnected except for 2 drivers, I agree that needs some attention before the real FIA championship. PD's move from test seasons to a pre-season may have been a brilliant decision. It may have exposed a flaw caused by the massive amount of players that entered and gives PD a chance to fix it. Who knows, maybe there will be a second pre-season.

Regarding BoP, the tracks and cars/ classes are all announced before the season starts, so everyone has the same opportunity to choose what they want. By my casual observance, the Manufacturer grids have been filled with a good mix, so appears BoP is working. Real racing is often dominated by a small number of cars/teams. If you want everything to be equal, race the Nations, the one makes couldn't be more equal and choose the meta for others. Allowing tuning, in my opinion, would discourage more people than it encourages. I think PD is trying to make it as accessible as possible, so I agree with no tuning.

Why do people think that if the FIA is involved that everything has to be perfect? Sports associations are filled with controversy, compromise and scandal. It's not going to delegitimize the "real" racing awards with the inclusion of GT Sport as a step into e-sports.

The penalty system is what it is. It's not completely fair or realistic, but a compromise. Unless they implement realistic damage, including the possibility of having your car destroyed in the first corner, they'll never achieve realism. I think most agree, that isn't what we want. So now there must be a compromise, which is what we have. The penalty system tries to assign larger penalties to the offender and larger penalties based on severity. I agree it's not always right, but my expectations for a game to get it right need to take into consideration that it's impossible to account for all the variables and situations.

I really think we're nitpicking at this. This is never going to be perfect, but I argue (network connection issues aside) that it's good enough to be fun and competitive while also giving a huge amount of players an opportunity to be involved.
 
I say bring it on. You can’t sit around forever and wait for something to be perfected without ever giving it a go beforehand. It’s already 6 months or more into the game’s life, so the E-Sports need to start happening soon or people will lose interest.
 
I hope they separate DR ratings from the real championship, which is unlikely, but it would make sense to do so. Pre-seasons, Top 24s etc worked well with the highest DR rating system, but it won't for the real thing. There are too many drivers who have overachieved in their DR score.

More 'No' than 'Yes' so far. Interesting!
 
No. The penalty system is still broken. I constantly get hit by inside passers, and somehow get a penalty for it even though I had the line, and left them plenty of space. Also, I get smashed from the rear by people hard enough to ruin my line and let them past, yet they don't get a penalty at all. I've also done it myself by accident in the kart race, totally got away with it. Felt bad so I slowed down to let him by afterwards but most people never do that even though they know they just got an advantage because of a mistake or a dirty move and it ruins races.

It's inexcusable. If the penalty system doesn't work the way it does in REAL FIA races, it's not ready for the FIA. It's as simple as that.
 
It desperately needs a whole new penalty system that doesn't ruin the victims of accidents and actually apply real world rules to serve penalties(such as driving in stops)...They also need to go over all tracks and define proper track limits, not that ******** with barriers they came up with, that is ridiculous, intentional rammers should get disqualified as well instead of accumulating penalties.

Also, something that could be played with is car damage, maybe hard impacts should be enough to kill your engine, suspension or steering some much that would be forced to abandon the race. Just to increase the stakes and make rammers think twice before risking their own car in a collision.
 
The more I think about it, the more I believe PD are just trying to milk it from the FIA certificate. It's a similar approach to EA with FIFA, predominantly a money-making machine who doesn't listen to their community whatsoever.
.....
Penalties such as being it from behind into turn 1 at Monza, paint-trading on outside of corner because the other driver ran wide, 10 second penalties for essentially nothing, they should not happen for a serious game.

Aspiring to be a serious racing game, GT fails to deliver IMO. It's miles away from what it could've been, because there are game-breaking issues

GT Sport is a soccer game that cannot tell if a player has picked up the ball and run it into the goal. It is a soccer game where contact between two players results in yellow cards for both...

And because it has a FIFA tag on it, people are trying to deny that the problem exists.

No serious soccer fan would play a game with those reality breaking flaws, and it makes me wonder why any serious racing fan would play a racing game with the same type of problems.
 
Some questions for people who think the game is not ready:
  1. Estimating from the progression of changes from launch 7 months ago, how long until you think it will be ready?
  2. If the real FIA championship started right after this pre-season, would you participate?
  3. Would you stop playing GT Sport because the FIA Championship doesn't meet your expectations?
  4. Would you stop playing GT Sport because it's taking too long for the FIA Championship to start?
 
Some questions for people who think the game is not ready:
  1. Estimating from the progression of changes from launch 7 months ago, how long until you think it will be ready?
  2. If the real FIA championship started right after this pre-season, would you participate?
  3. Would you stop playing GT Sport because the FIA Championship doesn't meet your expectations?
  4. Would you stop playing GT Sport because it's taking too long for the FIA Championship to start?
1. Hard to say, will only play Sport mode again when they fix the penalty system, imo it wouldn't be even that hard to change they just have to copy paste iRacing system and you have it.
2. No, for point 1 reasons
3. No because I'm having way more fun in private championships hosted here on GTP.
4. No because I lost the hype that I had the first 2 months I played the game, right now I just see a game where basically your whole season is based on track RNG for your car manufacturer selection (only ever played Manufacturers Cup), it would be 1000% more pleasable if they allowed us to change only LSD and gearboxes to match the tracks but whatever. :cheers:
 
Some questions for people who think the game is not ready:
  1. Estimating from the progression of changes from launch 7 months ago, how long until you think it will be ready?
  2. If the real FIA championship started right after this pre-season, would you participate?
  3. Would you stop playing GT Sport because the FIA Championship doesn't meet your expectations?
  4. Would you stop playing GT Sport because it's taking too long for the FIA Championship to start?

1. At this rate, maybe in a couple years, maybe never. They are rearranging the deck chairs with these penalty adjustments instead of dealing with the fundamental issues of the system.
2. Yes, but I probably would only enter the races that appeal to me because I have no chance of winning.
3 and 4. No, but that's because the FIA championship always seemed set up to appeal only to aliens. The way I would've set it up is to have division champions for each DR class, with winners of each class having an opportunity to get into the finals. That way everyone feels like they have skin in the game and an opportunity to win something, even if they can't win the finals. Right now FIA has zero relevance to me and most people below A/S.
 
Back