Is GT Sport ready for the Official FIA Championship? (POLL)

  • Thread starter Thread starter adstomko
  • 70 comments
  • 5,711 views

Is GT Sport ready for the Official FIA Championship? (POLL)

  • YES

    Votes: 46 26.4%
  • NO

    Votes: 58 33.3%
  • The pros and cons are balanced (50%)

    Votes: 19 10.9%
  • Not really. There are too many issues (25%)

    Votes: 36 20.7%
  • Not at all! The game is broken! (0%)

    Votes: 3 1.7%
  • The game is totally ready! (100%)

    Votes: 6 3.4%
  • It's not far off from ready. (75%)

    Votes: 63 36.2%

  • Total voters
    174
1. Hard to say, will only play Sport mode again when they fix the penalty system, imo it wouldn't be even that hard to change they just have to copy paste iRacing system and you have it.
2. No, for point 1 reasons
3. No because I'm having way more fun in private championships hosted here on GTP.
4. No because I lost the hype that I had the first 2 months I played the game, right now I just see a game where basically your whole season is based on track RNG for your car manufacturer selection (only ever played Manufacturers Cup), it would be 1000% more pleasable if they allowed us to change only LSD and gearboxes to match the tracks but whatever. :cheers:
I have no idea how the iRacing penalty system works, but from some comments on the forums it seems like a hardcore sim. Would it still be an appealing penalty system for the masses? I think one of the things that makes GT such a big seller is that it's not too realistic with penalties/damage and allows people to continue racing even after making mistakes.
1. At this rate, maybe in a couple years, maybe never. They are rearranging the deck chairs with these penalty adjustments instead of dealing with the fundamental issues of the system.
2. Yes, but I probably would only enter the races that appeal to me because I have no chance of winning.
3 and 4. No, but that's because the FIA championship always seemed set up to appeal only to aliens. The way I would've set it up is to have division champions for each DR class, with winners of each class having an opportunity to get into the finals. That way everyone feels like they have skin in the game and an opportunity to win something, even if they can't win the finals. Right now FIA has zero relevance to me and most people below A/S.
I would guess there are at most 100 people in the world with a chance of winning the FIA championship in their region. I've really been enjoying this pre-season since it seems like a lot more people are playing and it makes for some close racing. Having well matched races is relevant to me and that's the main reason why I'm planning on entering the FIA races. I'm also curious how far the FIA tie in will go. Maybe some special content like the GT Academy stuff from previous years?
 
Some questions for people who think the game is not ready:
  1. Estimating from the progression of changes from launch 7 months ago, how long until you think it will be ready?
  2. If the real FIA championship started right after this pre-season, would you participate?
  3. Would you stop playing GT Sport because the FIA Championship doesn't meet your expectations?
  4. Would you stop playing GT Sport because it's taking too long for the FIA Championship to start?

1. Never.
2. Not while this farce of a penalty system is the only stewarding.
3. Have already pretty much abandoned it, nothing has met my expectations (except the graphics!).
4. Have pretty much stopped playing because it's taking too long for the player base to realize this robo-stewarding is not the way to get clean racing.

PD can thank their lucky stars SMS don't seem to want to add the few things that would make for easy clean casual racing online (it's basically set up for organized leagues - brilliant for that, sucks at casual racing) because in every other way possible, PC2 is the GT7 we all wished for...
 
1. Never.
2. Not while this farce of a penalty system is the only stewarding.
3. Have already pretty much abandoned it, nothing has met my expectations (except the graphics!).
4. Have pretty much stopped playing because it's taking too long for the player base to realize this robo-stewarding is not the way to get clean racing.

PD can thank their lucky stars SMS don't seem to want to add the few things that would make for easy clean casual racing online (it's basically set up for organized leagues - brilliant for that, sucks at casual racing) because in every other way possible, PC2 is the GT7 we all wished for...
By your answers, I'm getting the sense that maybe you don't love GT Sport quite as much as I do. 💡

I think GT Sport is exactly what the franchise needed. I've been playing since the original Gran Turismo and started to lose interest in the past couple iterations. The focus on Sport Mode really got me addicted again.

I would love to have more tracks, but don't care about having 700 cars that I won't drive anyway. I'm perfectly happy with just the Gr. 1/2/3/4 cars. After racing real people online, the AI just doesn't cut it, so I'm glad the game evolved.

To be fair, I haven't played other racing games in a long time, so I don't have anything to compare it to.
 
Some questions for people who think the game is not ready:
  1. Estimating from the progression of changes from launch 7 months ago, how long until you think it will be ready?
  2. If the real FIA championship started right after this pre-season, would you participate?
  3. Would you stop playing GT Sport because the FIA Championship doesn't meet your expectations?
  4. Would you stop playing GT Sport because it's taking too long for the FIA Championship to start?
1) I expect it to be sorted by Autumn now. Should've been ready after last Christmas.
2) No. Too many issues. I haven't got the time and patience to adapt to the broken penalty system and avoid other people's dirty tactics.
Unless DR does not play a part in entering the championship, then I may have a go.
3) Yes. What's the point in racing if I'm underwhelmed and not enjoying it?
4) Yes. PD almost never meet deadlines.

Another thing: PD presumably invited the highest DR drivers to the Nürburgring 24 Hour event shortly after they changed the entry regulations for the Top 24 Superstars. This was a very poor move IMO. It forced players to race that week, so if you had a bad week or received a 'blue screen' in the first championship after they introduced the new rules, your DR may not have been high enough. Plus, not everyone has a chance to race almost daily for a weekly Top 24 race.

I just get the sense that PD or whoever it is organising the FIA stuff lacks professionalism and kee changing the format because they have very little experience or knowledge.
 
Unless DR does not play a part in entering the championship, then I may have a go.
Based on what mclaren said the preseason points will be the determinant for this season's championship, not DR

Maybe technically DR still plays a role since a higher Strength of Field equals more points, but it wouldn't be a direct factor for entry now if I read what he said correctly
 
Based on what mclaren said the preseason points will be the determinant for this season's championship, not DR

Maybe technically DR still plays a role since a higher Strength of Field equals more points, but it wouldn't be a direct factor for entry now if I read what he said correctly

Well that's me out of it then. I can't participate in almost any of the Pre-Season races due to 'real-life commitments.' And, to make matters worse, my DR reset itself last week after being brake tested at many turn 1s

I don't understand why PD don't just say how everybody is going to be selected for things? Why is everything such a big secret?
I've never known a sport where pre-season determines those selected for the real season. if that' the case here, then I don't want to race in such circumstances. The whole point in a pre-season is to warm up. :lol:
 
There's no way Pre-season has a major impact on the main season except maybe for ranking drivers to show off something (e.g. o this driver got rank 10 last season so lets give them a logo or something)? In terms of gathering points etc. I would be stunned if it had an affect because they effectively eliminate any new drivers wanting to compete (Which from all their marketing is against what they are trying to do).

DR will always be the biggest factor in any of these championships that are open to anyone as it's one of the main features of sport mode and what all the algorithms for MMR are based off. They aren't suddenly going to change that in the first season from 24 test seasons and also expect it to work instantly? I may be wrong but I'd be stunned if they did that after 24 test seasons then put something brand new in and then it completely broke/backfired in Season 1 I think there would be quite a big uproar in the community.
 
Another thing: PD presumably invited the highest DR drivers to the Nürburgring 24 Hour event shortly after they changed the entry regulations for the Top 24 Superstars. This was a very poor move IMO. It forced players to race that week, so if you had a bad week or received a 'blue screen' in the first championship after they introduced the new rules, your DR may not have been high enough. Plus, not everyone has a chance to race almost daily for a weekly Top 24 race.

I'm not sure where you're getting this idea that you have to race constantly to stay at 75k. In Germany a few of the guys had near dormant accounts at 75k and were invited on both their old accounts and newer 'team' accounts, even though they hadn't touched their older account in weeks/months.

It sucks that the cap means a few disconnects/bad races would screw you completely, hence why some of us keep complaining about it in true #FirstWorldProblems fashion :lol:. If you were any other European nationality you'd have definitely got an invite, just unlucky you live in one of the most competitive countries in the game but that's just how the Nations Cup is going to work. I've seen guys in some of the smaller European countries who were invited but not selected complain as many as 4 (5 in UK's case because of our reserve slot) per country are going, so it's impossible to please everyone.
 
I'm not sure where you're getting this idea that you have to race constantly to stay at 75k. In Germany a few of the guys had near dormant accounts at 75k and were invited on both their old accounts and newer 'team' accounts, even though they hadn't touched their older account in weeks/months.

It sucks that the cap means a few disconnects/bad races would screw you completely, hence why some of us keep complaining about it in true #FirstWorldProblems fashion :lol:. If you were any other European nationality you'd have definitely got an invite, just unlucky you live in one of the most competitive countries in the game but that's just how the Nations Cup is going to work. I've seen guys in some of the smaller European countries who were invited but not selected complain as many as 4 (5 in UK's case because of our reserve slot) per country are going, so it's impossible to please everyone.

You're either not grasping or reading what I said. I stated, in order to enter the Top 24 Superstars races from some time in April, you had to enter at least 3 races to qualify for the race on Saturday. This wasn't the case earlier. So, those who were dormant for a few weeks didn't participate in the new FIA system or participate in the Top 24 races, hence their DRs weren't affected.

Absolutely. I'm not complaining as much about the fact that I didn't get picked too much, but I'm complaining about the process in which drivers were selected after the new FIA system.

My pedals broke and was given a blue screen in the last race before everyone appeared to be selected. Pretty unfortunate, otherwise I would've had enough DR to be selected. Thankfully, I can't go.
 
Personally I like the fact that entry to top 24 race is based on your performance throughout the championship makes far more sense than automatic entry from your DR. I agree some of us won’t get chance to do all the races, myself included in that. It’s easy for me to say though as I’m not in the same position as you guys as I’ve got little chance of getting in from high DR or performance but still it makes more sense to me at least.

And agree with @Tidgney very unlikely there are going to change the system now at this late stage.

I’m guessing we won’t have long to find out, not sure if any of you guys going to Nürburgring know, but this event is to mark the start of the official seasons so I assume or hope at least we are going to get an announcement soon?
 
Back