Is GT5 worth buying a PS3 for?

So here's the situation. I've already got a Driving Force Pro(a bit outdated but still compatible) and a custom made wheel stand. So for full GT5 enjoyment I just need a PS3 and the game, neither of which I have. I have the cash right now though and I'm considering going to Best Buy and grabbing the GT5 combo pack. I don't care about any other exclusives on PS3(I'm sure I'll give them a shot eventually though) and cross platform games I will play on my 360 due to a close group of friends already on there and the(IMO) superior controller.

So basically what I'm saying is if I buy a PS3 it will be just for the purposes of playing GT5. I've been on here constantly so I know about all the flaws and positives, but I want to honestly know from those who have it, is GT5 worth $350?

You have a DFP but no PS3 or GT5? how odd...
Anyways, there is a thread about people buying a PS3 JUST to play GT5

If you dont have FM3 and if you like tunning/JDM/casual car melted with some race car from different racing category then yes it's worth it.

If you have FM3 I would recommend you to wait until you got more game that interest you since you have no money I dont think it's worth it. Better saves your money for holiday or some important stuff.

no

edit- the ps3 alone can provide ages of fun playing more superior games such as Grid, NFS Shift and Call of Duty games.

Buy it for GT5 alone = wasted money. the game is very boring and very much the same as the previous GT games. just a mindless, wall-riding grind to earn money and now "xp"

haoTRUE I have a DFP due because I still have GT4 and a PS2 lol.

If you dont have FM3 and if you like tunning/JDM/casual car melted with some race car from different racing category then yes it's worth it.

If you have FM3 I would recommend you to wait until you got more game that interest you since you have no money I dont think it's worth it. Better saves your money for holiday or some important stuff.

Well I do have FM3 and in fact am still enjoying that game. Play it nearly every day. But I'm the type of person who can enjoy multiple games on their own merits, so I could still play and enjoy both I think.

By the way, the cash I have is left over after finishing all my Christmas shopping and everything else, so it's money I can afford to blow. I'm just trying to decide what to blow it on. :P Right now it's between a PS3 or an AK. But buying the PS3 won't put me in any sort of hardship or anything.

To add further incentive to the PS3 though, I just checked Game Stop's website and they list a bundle with a 160gb PS3 and God of War III + GoW Collection for $299. Buying that and GT5 would only cost me $10 more than the Best Buy bundle and perhaps make the purchase more worthwhile. I'm so close to pulling the trigger right now. What to do?

I wish I weren't so indecisive lol.

To add further incentive to the PS3 though, I just checked Game Stop's website and they list a bundle with a 160gb PS3 and God of War III + GoW Collection for $299. Buying that and GT5 would only cost me $10 more than the Best Buy bundle and perhaps make the purchase more worthwhile. I'm so close to pulling the trigger right now. What to do?

I wish I weren't so indecisive lol.

Get the bundle and a copy of Metal Gear Solid 4. Should be pretty cheap to pick up by now.
MGS4, GoW3 and GT5 make the PS3 pretty wothwhile having, in my opnion.

That's what I did. I own a Wii, but I bought a PS3 just because of GT5. And I bought a DFGT wheel/pedals and an Xlerator wheel stand. So it's quite a bit of money I spent just for GT5 but I'm glad I did. Blows any racing game the Wii has away by a mile.

I have DFP too. Old but it Works(PS2 & GT4). I also just bought a PS3 and GT5 two days after it came out. Was dissapointed a bit, But it is definetly worth it(GT5 is not perfect yet [uptades]). Havent touched my 360 since...

Heres what I think you should do:
250gb-ps3-slim-gt-5.jpg

GET IT!

Honestly I have to say if you have to ask... no.

It's worth it for those who are hardcore GT fans and they know it.

But if you have to ask, I think you are likely in the crowd who will be dissapointed on so many fronts and feel that GT5 is ultimately not worth $360.

Alright that does it. I'm gonna buy one today. I just found out that Best Buy gives out $50 gift cards with a PS3 purchase. I think I'm gonna go that route.

Simple answer - no. Play GT4 instead.

More complicated answer - not yet but it might be if they sort out what they should have gotten right before they released it.

I lined up at 9am to buy GT5 CE on launch day in a small suburban EB Games store and 10 guys ahead of me walked out with a PS3 and the game that very day...

Well, yeah dont buy it if your not going to play it, or if you dont have much time on your hands. You have to unlock alot of stuff and could take some time.

I would buy a PS3, GT5 just for one thing: Nordschleife. Epic.
Wait, I have, sort of. Got my PS3 with GT5P and never regretted it. Bought GT5 23/11 and have been enjoying it immensely, despite a few omissions.

Theres so many exclusives for the ps3 that blow you away that even if gt5 doesn't deliver for you, you have a whole range of AAA games to get your fix.

Yes. Every PS I have purchased has been for GT and have yet to regret it.

I am not a game guy though, I am a hardcore car guy.

I get the feeling you already decided this before posting really :)

Actually I was still on the fence but finding those good deals online tipped me over the edge.

Wait, you're thinking about buying an AK? The gun?

I'm no gun nut, that would be the reason I would chose the PS3 :D

Yeah an AK as in the rifle. I'm a huge gun enthusiast and I seriously want an AK. I can pick up a Romanian for about $420 shipped right now.

Yes. Every PS I have purchased has been for GT and have yet to regret it.

I am not a game guy though, I am a hardcore car guy.

Same here lol, or at least with my PS2. I never owned any games for my PS2 except GT3 and GT4 and I thought it was well worth it. That's why despite the high price I think I'll be happy with GT5, or at least I hope haha.

I remind you that everyone here is going to say yes to GT5, while in your gun community everyone will go for the AK.

It's like asking someone's gender.

I have agree with some here and say no, If GT5 was as good as SONY claimed it was, then yes... but it isn't. And I am a loyal GT series fan... =(

No. It's not. Purely because it would be completely foolish to buy any console for the sake of one game, just as it would buying a bluray player for the sake of one bluray.

It is only worth buying a PS3 if you intend on venturing into everything else the ps3 has to offer. There are many other PS3 exclusive games worth looking into.

I remind you that everyone here is going to say yes to GT5, while in your gun community everyone will go for the AK.

It's like asking someone's gender.

Not true. I'm here and if the question is actually "Ps3 for JUST GT5" vs AK-47, I'd be hard pressed to chose. Though I'm a gun guy as well as a car & game guy.

Personally, I'd buy an SKS instead of an actual AK. Fairly close and much cheaper. Then put the leftover money into a PS3. :)

Not true. I'm here and if the question is actually "Ps3 for JUST GT5" vs AK-47, I'd be hard pressed to chose. Though I'm a gun guy as well as a car & game guy.

Personally, I'd buy an SKS instead of an actual AK. Fairly close and much cheaper. Then put the leftover money into a PS3. :)

What I mean is that most people here would love more the PS3/GT5 combo instead the AK, while vice-versa in a gun nut community.

I think its worth it.

Because this game will last something like 6 years, or even more if they will release GT6 on the next playstation console ;)

Back