Is GT5's 3D features any good on 3D TVs?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kool Mode D
  • 26 comments
  • 7,195 views
Messages
142
United States
The Moon
I've searched this forum and could not come up with a thread asking a similar quetion so I've made this. Just like the title, to all those 3D TV owners out there, is 3D in GT5 any good?
 
Nope, not at all. I played it at a friend's house, he has the LED Samsung 3d 8000 (or something tv). Graphics-wise it's not a big deal. The sense of depth is not all that great - you can barely make out any differences; the only thing that stands out is the hud.

Other than that, the frame rate is very unpleasant to the eyes and you feel dizzy from the first second. My friend had 2 sets of glasses that we both used for like 10 minutes and felt sick the rest of the day. I know it takes some time to get used to it, to learn where to focus, etc, but it was nothing like the feeling I got from Avatar in 3d.

In other words, it needs maturing..
 
Having a good answer for your question is hard, since the current 3d tv technology is based on stereoscopic glasses the 3d expirience will vary quite much. Simply put the better your stereoscopic sight is the better the sense of depth and shadow(coming out of the tv) will be.. Also you can make separate adjustments under options and 3dtv options to tune the sense of depth to your own eyes and i like it
 
i played GT5 3D on a 3D tv last week. personally i was amazed, its the only thing i'd get a 3D TV for. i personally thought the depth felt amazing, and cockpit view really came to life. the thing is, it really boils down to each individual, my girlfriend gets sick from 3D, and hated playing it, my other friend got a headache and claimed it wasnt that different. some best buys have GT5 3D set up in demo modes on 3D tv's, so check your local one and try it.

my question is, does GT5's 3D mode work if it isnt with a 3D tv???
 
Nope, not at all. I played it at a friend's house, he has the LED Samsung 3d 8000 (or something tv). Graphics-wise it's not a big deal. The sense of depth is not all that great - you can barely make out any differences; the only thing that stands out is the hud.

Other than that, the frame rate is very unpleasant to the eyes and you feel dizzy from the first second. My friend had 2 sets of glasses that we both used for like 10 minutes and felt sick the rest of the day. I know it takes some time to get used to it, to learn where to focus, etc, but it was nothing like the feeling I got from Avatar in 3d.

In other words, it needs maturing..

It's called motion sickness.

No, the 3D options are greyed out if you use a standard TV... So is it good or bad lol?
 
Better save up some money for a 3DTV, or wait until they create versions that can be used without those silly glasses:lol:
 
some best buys have GT5 3D set up in demo modes on 3D tv's, so check your local one and try it.

my question is, does GT5's 3D mode work if it isnt with a 3D tv???

For some odd reason, every 3D tv display in Maryland best buys have broken glasses:grumpy:

It doesnt work on a on 3D tv, but i tried it at my friends house and its pretty weird. I didnt get sick or anything but it felt weird to play that and then regular gt5 again.
 
Tried it out at a mates house & thought it was S**t, then he went out & bought a quality HDMI cable and everything looked so much better.
i'm one of those get dizzy/headachy after half hour doing anything 3d related guys so i wouldnt buy a 3d tv just for GT5, or for anything else on that matter.
 
Pretyy crap, not much 3D effect but its there.
 
i heard to get the best effect out of the 3D feature, you must use a Sony 3D TV and Sony 3D glasses. It doesn't work well with other 3D brand TV's.
 
Its not as simple as motion sickness...skylinefx.

Yes it sucks, but not for the reasons you guys think. Ying yang it also sucks on a bravia with bravia glasses, I have tried it.

The reason it "feels" so bad, and unlike avtar in 3d you guys saw at the movies is because cinemas use passive 3d whilst everything you guys have tested gt5 with has been active shutter 3d.

The reason you feel sick is mainly due to the fact that the active shutter 3d glasses flash on and off alternating each eye so you can get the 3d effect, kind of similar to hold old crt Tvs used to flicker but much worse now as it also alternates eyes in addition to flickering in general

Also the depth of field issue and things not looking 3d will be a problem unless you guys set it up right.
I bet you guys did not even try to set the parralex or depth of field in gt5 in addition to the 3d settings on your TV. You really have to get the right setting for things to appear really deep and "3d" whilst at the same time not being blurry. And the best setting is different for each person.
 
I assume there are frame rate drops if you play it in 3D mode...I can say, watching Sanctum in 3D reveals frame rate drops...I was like, oh c'mon! even in movies?!...
 
I use it on a samsung 3d tv and its amazing.
 
Better save up some money for a 3DTV, or wait until they create versions that can be used without those silly glasses:lol:

I'd save my money and wait for 3D technology to become cheaper and better.
This was the same when HD was first released about 5 or 6 years ago. It was expensive and wasn't fully perfected yet. Now, everyone's starting to buy them.
Personally, I'd buy one when it's cheap
 
i've got my own, a samsung 3d 40 inch full HD tv. I got the GT5 settings on maximum 3d, and paralax on 0.90. Sometimes you might see some things double. but only on high setting you really get the feeling of racing. i played it on 1, and i coudnt really feel the difference between 2D, playing gt5 in 3d has 1 downside though = the resolution gets cut down to 720p
 
I'd save my money and wait for 3D technology to become cheaper and better.
This was the same when HD was first released about 5 or 6 years ago. It was expensive and wasn't fully perfected yet. Now, everyone's starting to buy them.
Personally, I'd buy one when it's cheap

Agreed.
 
I think GT5 3D is very good, especially when driving from an interior view. I don't think it is the best way to race for competitive times but for leisure driving it is quite impressive especially as you gaze upon your dashboard and see the depth as you take corners.

Would I buy a 3D HDTV just for GT5?....I don't know. However, if I'm already in the market for a new HDTV then I would pay a bit more for the 3D HDTV so I can enjoy that extra feature in GT5. Not to mention the few 3D movies already out.
 
Soon there will be ones with no glasses that can see each person in the room and where their eyes are and adjust individually.
 
If you have the money and you want 3D now, just buy it and you will like it,
if you have to work hard for it and you can wait, wait!
3D will be so much better and without the stupid glasses in a few years.
 
I can confirm ucwepns comment. I actually have the contract to work on this technology with sony. I intend to start on it immediately after I complete my current project, Genetically modifying pigs to grow wings.
 
I have paralax on 10 and convergence on .78 and it looks pretty awesome.
 
I can confirm ucwepns comment. I actually have the contract to work on this technology with sony. I intend to start on it immediately after I complete my current project, Genetically modifying pigs to grow wings.

don't be a smart ass. if you knew what you were talking about you'd know they are working on 3D tv's like this. a lot of people are very put off by the need for glasses.

since you cant find it yourself:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20018421-17.html
http://www.3dtvguide.org/3d-tv-without-glasses.html

wait, does this say head tracking?!? seems a lot like what ucwepns was saying (and yes, i know for right now it only works with 1 person, that's why we say they are "working" on it)
http://www.3dtvguide.org/3d-tv-without-glasses.html#head tracking 3D technology
 
I played it in a SONY shop just down the road. All their top spec stuff. And a PS3... I pleaded for an hour, and got them to let me put GT5 on and i thought it was BRILLIANT!!!
 
The only 3D game I like is Super Star dust. You don't need to play GT5 in 3D. Framerate hit is a huge downgrade.
 
don't be a smart ass. if you knew what you were talking about you'd know they are working on 3D tv's like this. a lot of people are very put off by the need for glasses.

since you cant find it yourself:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20018421-17.html
http://www.3dtvguide.org/3d-tv-without-glasses.html

wait, does this say head tracking?!? seems a lot like what ucwepns was saying (and yes, i know for right now it only works with 1 person, that's why we say they are "working" on it)
http://www.3dtvguide.org/3d-tv-without-glasses.html#head tracking 3D technology


They have been "working on" a cure for AIDs for decades but there still isnt one.

I know damn well they are "working on" this technology in TV's. That doesnt mean it will be available in the near future, or that it will even perform anywhere near as well as tv's using shutter glasses. In the same way that tv's using shutter glasses dont perform anywhere near as well as cinemas using polarized lenses. What you have is a trade off. Performance for convenience/comfort.

Kind of like those that dont want to go to all the effort of building a rig and buying/mounting a wheel and climbing in and out of the rig every time they want to play. Well they can still experience limited effects through rumble on a control pad. But what they are experiencing is only a fraction of what a full and proper setup can give.
 
Back