is GT6's photo mode better than Forza 5?

I think my point is that by manipulating it, one person could achieve a different result than another, so the default lighting of each game isn't that relevant. Light is manipulated by every camera in some way or another.

VXR
so the default lighting of each game isn't that relevant.

But it is.

The exposure can only do so much in terms of quality. For example, Tokyo has horrible lighting, that's very harsh and is a pain to expose properly and make everything look smooth and clean. The highlights are too bright, and shadows too dark. it just produces a very high contrasted shot, and overly-bright and "vibrant". Ascari is the same as well as Ronda, Gemasolar, and Goodwood's afternoon. There's just too much direct light.

Willow Springs on the other hand is much softer, more of a diffused light and gives a more even exposure. Laguna Seca, Syracuse, Daytona and Indy are good examples.

I don't know if Forza 5 has the same issues, I don't remember having those problems with tracks in Forza 4. But that way it makes it seem like Forza has more of a "perfection" setting when it comes to lighting. But while those tracks in GT are both easy and a pain to shoot, it's realistic.

Forza doesn't because it has control over exposure, saturation, contrast, vignette and sepia. All of which help tame wilder scenes to some extent.

I'm not talking about in game controls for the photomode controlling it, the lighting itself on the tracks, with default settings on the camera.

now you just try to downgrade GT6 by saying they both look like the game, which is just not true. By all means, GT does look more realistic when it comes to photomode

I'm "downgrading" GT6? Is that why I've already said, multiple times, that GT has the better photomode?

A better photomode doesn't equate to realism. Again, realism is not the same as photorealism - they are not interchangeable, although I understand how easy it is to confuse the two as I've done it plenty of times myself, and it's significantly easier to say something looks real or realistic as opposed to photoreal or photorealistic.

All of those photos look like they're from a game, especially with the ever-present color banding, something Forza 5 - another game - suffers from.

I don't know if Forza 5 has the same issues, I don't remember having those problems with tracks in Forza 4. But that way it makes it seem like Forza has more of a "perfection" setting when it comes to lighting. But while those tracks in GT are both easy and a pain to shoot, it's realistic.
I remember Nurburgring from FM4 being a pain to shoot. It wasn't necessarily sunlight, because the track was overcast, but in photomode the sky would be to bright, and the ground/track to dark. I stood away from that, but managed to get a couple of good shots.

Sebring, IIRC, seemed overly exposed as well.

Ah, it's good to be on a new page, where my PC isn't bogged down by dozens of pictures of a Countach that are obviously from a game.

@bashfulboson - The word is "people". The "ppl" you keep using is not a word.

@gtuned - See, I've actually loved shooting at Ascari, but only at sunrise/sunset. I think my best set from GT6 was there (shameless plug - with only the slightest of post-game editing), though yeah, nothing compares to Willow Springs' lighting.

Also, FWIW, those pictures from @Ridox2JZGTE on Page 9 all look obviously game-like to me, with a maybe-sort-of-exception to the first picture - but even then, the reflection on the side of the body and the hood pins give it away. For the vast majority of the rest of them, the car doesn't look like it's properly in its surroundings, like it's up on its tippy toes. @Terronium-12 's P1 and Huayra shots look fairly convincing to me - the P1 especially - and the only thing really throwing off the Audi shot is the unnatural glow coming from the background.

Again, both games can look fantastic in Photomode shots; but that's down to the player almost as much, if not more, than the game engine. It's the same basic principle as real life photography - an amateur with an expensive camera isn't going to take better shots than a pro on a cheap point-and-shoot. The options provided to players in GT are more numerous than in Forza, but on the flip-side, the slider approach in Forza is much more newb-friendly.

And let's face it, no game will have the upper hand in photorealism/realism until ISO, chromatic abbreviation, real lens blur/mis-focus and real, proper lens flares come into play.

And maybe if PD would turn off the 🤬 Auto White Balance...

I always add a bit of grain and slight blur to my shots, just to give it that extra little bit of real camera effect.

And let's face it, no game will have the upper hand in photorealism/realism until ISO, chromatic abbreviation, real lens blur/mis-focus and real, proper lens flares come into play.

And maybe if PD would turn off the 🤬 Auto White Balance...

I always add a bit of grain and slight blur to my shots, just to give it that extra little bit of real camera effect.
About photo-editing, why is grain used? I have noticed it alot back when I had GT5, and I would frequent that side of the photomode forum.

Is it to tone down the crispness of the game?

A few more of old pictures :) I always prefer less saturation when taking more realistic pics. A bit more like calibrating my HD TV for realistic movie viewing than using demo/shop attract picture settings ( vibrant, bright, high contrast and deep black level with high saturation to wow the viewer ) FM5 tend to produce such pictures, sharp colors, high contrast, not overly fond of it.

Willow Springs International Raceway - Big Willow_18.jpg
Willow Springs International Raceway - Streets Of Willow Springs_7.jpg
Willow Springs International Raceway - Streets Of Willow Springs_15.jpg
Willow Springs International Raceway - Streets Of Willow Springs_4.jpg

FM5 tend to produce such pictures, sharp colors, high contrast, not overly fond of it.
FM5 infact doesnt produce that, because the default settings are actually low in contrast, color, and exposure. Its the player that produces that.

About photo-editing, why is grain used? I have noticed it alot back when I had GT5, and I would frequent that side of the photomode forum.

Is it to tone down the crispness of the game?

Probably either for a mood/look to the shot depending on it, or added realism. Even with an ISO of 100, there's always slight grain and noise in a shot. I know a shoot I did with an Aston at Eiger in the rain, I added a lot of grain to simulate a real ISO use that would of been called for.

Probably either for a mood/look to the shot depending on it, or added realism. Even with an ISO of 100, there's always slight grain and noise in a shot. I know a shoot I did with an Aston at Eiger in the rain, I added a lot of grain to simulate a real ISO use that would of been called for.
I'm still unsure of it, even after your answer haha. I'm no photographer though, so everything your saying is pretty much a foreign language to me. No need to dumb it down though, I'm fine with that answer 👍

Ah, it's good to be on a new page, where my PC isn't bogged down by dozens of pictures of a Countach that are obviously from a game.

@bashfulboson - The word is "people". The "ppl" you keep using is not a word.

@gtuned - See, I've actually loved shooting at Ascari, but only at sunrise/sunset. I think my best set from GT6 was there (shameless plug - with only the slightest of post-game editing), though yeah, nothing compares to Willow Springs' lighting.

Also, FWIW, those pictures from @Ridox2JZGTE on Page 9 all look obviously game-like to me, with a maybe-sort-of-exception to the first picture - but even then, the reflection on the side of the body and the hood pins give it away. For the vast majority of the rest of them, the car doesn't look like it's properly in its surroundings, like it's up on its tippy toes. @Terronium-12 's P1 and Huayra shots look fairly convincing to me - the P1 especially - and the only thing really throwing off the Audi shot is the unnatural glow coming from the background.

Again, both games can look fantastic in Photomode shots; but that's down to the player almost as much, if not more, than the game engine. It's the same basic principle as real life photography - an amateur with an expensive camera isn't going to take better shots than a pro on a cheap point-and-shoot. The options provided to players in GT are more numerous than in Forza, but on the flip-side, the slider approach in Forza is much more newb-friendly.

I know they are not realistic, when I took them, I didn't really focus on getting realistic shots, just trying to get some cool composition with the 3 guys on the start line :P I think I also set the time to late evening, which is pretty dark and bad for a car painted in white :lol:

FM5 infact doesnt produce that, because the default settings are actually low in contrast, color, and exposure. Its the player that produces that.

Gotcha, the majority of FM5 pictures I saw here on GTP are often edited :) Good to know it's possible to get pictures with more calmer saturation and contrast.

I think another reason both games have too much of a game look, is because everything is too perfect.
Even with a slight misfocus, everything is too crisp and clean.

I noticed this when emulating film shots, and once you add some blur, grain and such, it can really make it look a lot more realistic.

Detoriating the quality to something far from perfect will really bring out more realism. Even with this shot,

That's a 2x shot upsized to 7000x4000. Sure it's pixelated a little and blurry, but with this 100% crop

8d79500a4c2efd706d43c52d481e143c.png

It looks a lot, a lot more of a real picture, cause not every picture is as pin sharp as I said before.

So straight from game, to acheive more realism, they'd have to lower quality to a degree. But instead of doing that then having us fix it, they just give us perfection in rendering.

Besides, it would probably take so much more power to make the little details that we can do in a minute or so.

Gotcha, the majority of FM5 pictures I saw here on GTP are often edited :) Good to know it's possible to get pictures with more calmer saturation and contrast.
I've noticed that there aren't to many people that edit on the FM side of things, but that can be just because the group is much smaller. Alot can be achieved in the FM photomode with out editing. Took this with my recent LFA set.

14567648714_0714e31426_c.jpg

all my photo's are unedited, and straight from the game.

@gtuned those like quite good. Alot of the problem with crispness comes from choosing the 800x450 image size from FlickR. It being shrunk makes everything look a lot crisper. That happens to be the reason I choose that size, because I like the crispness. Most of the time I dont aim for realism though so that has never really bothered me.

EDIT: I was going to go and shoot the Yellowbird yesterday, to give it some justice from the OP, but I found out I was to broke.. then I jumped to Battlefield as I was to lazy to do some Rivals to get the money to shoot it haha.

Last edited:
The lighting engine is real time in GT and way beyond what Turn 10 have been using (basically updated Forza 2 game engine and lighting techniques) regardless of their PR ramblings since Forza 2.

The lighting engine is real time in GT and way beyond what Turn 10 have been using (basically updated Forza 2 game engine and lighting techniques) regardless of their PR ramblings since Forza 2.
I don't get where you get that from, I didn't start playing FM till last week of 2012 with FM4. After getting FM5 I went back and got FM2 and 3 to see how it's changed, anyone one claiming it's the same is flat out lying or ignorant.

I think another reason both games have too much of a game look, is because everything is too perfect.
Bingo

VXR
Forza doesn't because it has control over exposure, saturation, contrast, vignette and sepia. All of which help tame wilder scenes to some extent.

and do they help

14426902107_9403989301_b.jpg

14426682368_45e074c632_b.jpg

14633277463_f1c2a4234d_b.jpg

14613285225_0175beb9f8_b.jpg

14426648460_cae96f6655_b.jpg

While I love GT's lighting effects, and would love it in Forza, I'm still glad that its being updated with each iteration. So thats not necessarily a bad thing.

I don't get where you get that from, I didn't start playing FM till last week of 2012 with FM4. After getting FM5 I went back and got FM2 and 3 to see how it's changed, anyone one claiming it's the same is flat out lying or ignorant.

Bingo

and do they help

Its the same engine just updated since Forza 1, actually. I dont have proof in the form of a link, but trust me, the same engine has been updated time and again.

Its the same engine just updated since Forza 1, actually. I dont have proof in the form of a link, but trust me, the same engine has been updated time and again.
Thats usually what happens with games. They get Updated.

It's hard to trust you without valid evidence. It's like trusting bread to taste good. Sometimes, it just doesn't bake out to be true.

It's hard to trust you without valid evidence. It's like trusting bread to taste good. Sometimes, it just doesn't bake out to be true.
Reflections and shadows are however primitive and not dynamic, just like Forza 1. As is telemetary data on various circuits between Forza 1 to Forza 4 share the same inaccuracies. As do certain car models too. While I cant provide a link, I can provide my deduction.

Reflections and shadows are however primitive and not dynamic, just like Forza 1.
That is because the Time of Day is fixed and never changes. Saying its updated is obvious, like I said, things get updated.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you.

As is telemetary data on various circuits between Forza 1 to Forza 4 share the same inaccuracies. As do certain car models too. While I cant provide a link, I can provide my deduction.
This is not the place to get into that, I know the car problems was the case from FM4 to Horizon.

Last edited:

Bingo

and do they help

they don't look real to me

Back