Is GT7 downscaled for the PS5?

United States
United States
Rey
IMO GT7 is downscaled for the PS5 also! The proof is in the 120 fps patch. I've been watching a lot of replays lately in resolution mode lately, which is watching them in unlocked frame rate, and I'm shocked how much of a difference this mode makes when it comes to the level of detail compared to 30 fps. It made me wonder how much does this game have to offer with a more powerful console?

With the rumored PS5 Pro possibly launching next year, will GT7 become a juggernaut of a game visually? Is there actually a lot more level of detail possible in this build? Is the level of detail showcased in the opening cinematic movies possible for GT7? IMO the answer is yes! GT7 running at 60 fps with ray tracing will be the expectation If there is a PS5 Pro. The possibility of a locked 120 fps at a higher resolution than 1080p will also be expected. An unlocked frame rate with ray tracing mode will also be possible. IMO a lot more is possible! Only time will tell and I'm very excited! What do you guys think?

I wouldnt put ray-tracing and consoles into context.
Capable of? Well, yes.
With high fps? Very unlikely, even in case of a PS5Pro I wouldnt bet on it.
And if it can deliver? Okay, I take it, but this is the last bit of visual enhancements I would be looking for, basically all other visual parameters are much, much more important to me: not having a drop of of quality after just a few meters of sight, not having a limited sight range, texture and model quality, liveability of the surroundings, and definitly frame rates. Realistically bouncing lights is the thing that is the most easy thing to not notice among everything else.

Rather would I see this all fixed, before anyone tries me to convince raytracing would be a must have (or even nice to have):
1. shadow range
1700035781866.png

2. textures in general, also shadow, better to see when driving instead of screenshot
1700035821474.png

3. level of detail hard cuts, also better to see while driving
1700035867365.png

Also many other things, like tail light visibility popping on or off depending on distance (again distance ;)).
Just my opinion, but ray tracing can be considered once all things have been addressed that you always see and notice and cant be unseen.

I wouldnt put ray-tracing and consoles into context.
Capable of? Well, yes.
With high fps? Very unlikely, even in case of a PS5Pro I wouldnt bet on it.
And if it can deliver? Okay, I take it, but this is the last bit of visual enhancements I would be looking for, basically all other visual parameters are much, much more important to me: not having a drop of of quality after just a few meters of sight, not having a limited sight range, texture and model quality, liveability of the surroundings, and definitly frame rates. Realistically bouncing lights is the thing that is the most easy thing to not notice among everything else.

Rather would I see this all fixed, before anyone tries me to convince raytracing would be a must have (or even nice to have):
1. shadow range
View attachment 1303746
2. textures in general, also shadow, better to see when driving instead of screenshot
View attachment 1303747
3. level of detail hard cuts, also better to see while driving
View attachment 1303748

Also many other things, like tail light visibility popping on or off depending on distance (again distance ;)).
Just my opinion, but ray tracing can be considered once all things have been addressed that you always see and notice and cant be unseen.
I completely agree with everything you're pointing out, but how much is this due to the lack of power of the console and sacrificing level of detail due to increasing performance? IMO Route X is not optimized and is clearly just a slight enhancement over the PS4 version. Hopefully a better version is in the works.

'downscaled' is the wrong term IMO, as all games are written to the limitations of the hardware - and arguably 'downscaled'.

For example the frame rate of reflections is very low. This is a limitation of the hardware/ a design choice to optimise visuals elsewhere. If this were a PC title then it would give us options to enable/ disable certain features based on our hardware, and as new hardware came along we could increase the graphical fidelity/ frame rate.

The PS5 PRO version will certainly be better. Look at the difference for GT Sport.

PD is great technically, they have GT7 as a PS4 pimped up game looking amazing and in my opinion, better than the next gen competition that is Forza.

If they fix LOD, pop in, have full or better LOD for cockpits when you are in third person, have better LOD levels for cockpit view on some cars..

It's pretty much it for the current engine.

I think Kentaro Suzuki (graphics lead since GT1) said in a presentation that ray-tracing on gameplay was not really worth the man hours they would need to have it in the game (GT7).

GT8 will probably look different and run on a newer version of their rendering pipeline

And exactly thats the problem. LOD, pop in even painted wheel color that vanished in replays in the exact same distance like GTSport speeks for itself. Gt8 will be a complete diffrent game visually. Look what insomniac did with Spider-Man2, a technical masterpiece. All modes RT and draw distance quality never seen on console.
Fingers crossed we will get sooner then later GT8.

IMO GT7 is downscaled for the PS5 also! The proof is in the 120 fps patch. I've been watching a lot of replays lately in resolution mode lately, which is watching them in unlocked frame rate, and I'm shocked how much of a difference this mode makes when it comes to the level of detail compared to 30 fps. It made me wonder how much does this game have to offer with a more powerful console?

With the rumored PS5 Pro possibly launching next year, will GT7 become a juggernaut of a game visually? Is there actually a lot more level of detail possible in this build? Is the level of detail showcased in the opening cinematic movies possible for GT7? IMO the answer is yes! GT7 running at 60 fps with ray tracing will be the expectation If there is a PS5 Pro. The possibility of a locked 120 fps at a higher resolution than 1080p will also be expected. An unlocked frame rate with ray tracing mode will also be possible. IMO a lot more is possible! Only time will tell and I'm very excited! What do you guys think?
I think there will be no PS5 pro. There is no reason for one. The next one will be the PS6

IMO Route X is not optimized
You can find examples on many tracks, these were just those I do easily recall and they are obvious to point at ;)
There are other things as well, like frame drops during 1h Autopolis when the track shifts into its late daytime lighting.

Yeah these
At least they have a different colorpalette.
The photographers around the tracks are even more similar.
I think there will be no PS5 pro
I hope there will be no pro, though my discontent with a pro simply stems from the believe that it makes developers lazy instead of them learning to optimize to the hardware out of necessity.
Lazy = buggy and bad performance 🙄
optimized = less buggy and hopefully better performance
And I definitly dont want to read anything alike "optimized for PS4Pro" which in some cases actually meant "dont try starting on a regular PS4", and then there is the case of mixed hardware multiplayer lobbies, making one wait for the slow consoles ...

Last edited:
I hope there will be no pro, though my discontent with a pro simply stems from the believe that it makes developers lazy instead of them learning to optimize to the hardware out of necessity.
Lazy = buggy and bad performance 🙄
optimized = less buggy and hopefully better performance
And I definitly dont want to read anything alike "optimized for PS4Pro" which in some cases actually meant "dont try starting on a regular PS4", and then there is the case of mixed hardware multiplayer lobbies, making one wait for the slow consoles ...
I would like to see at least 3 examples where the PS4 Pro version made the regular PS4 game not playable
for the most part PS4 Pro made the games use HDR and unlocked framerates that sometimes hit 60fps or just upped the resolution

also PS5 Pro wouldn't load faster because at the core still it will be a PS5 , if this was a issue then multiplayer on PC wouldn't be a thing 🤪

Last edited:
multiplayer on PC wouldn't be thing
PC gamers are accustomed to waiting 15 minutes before their League of Legends game starts 😜

PS4 Pro made the regular PS4 game not playable
I am sorry, but out of nowhere I can currently only provide 2 out of personal party experience:
Remnant: From the Ashes, which was playable for the most, but in the swamp area was performaning so bad, that my friend on a regular PS4 said he cant continue to play (ever played Ragnarok Online? We are used to "bad performance" and low graphics).
Natural D0ctrine, while the game works in general, and the multiplayer performance was about alright, the lobby loading times difference between a Pro only, Pro-to-regular, and yes, even PS4 to PS3 or PSVita was possible, I could almost have made lunch and be ready for the game when it launches.

Horizon Chase Turbo was actually the opposite, it was running fine on both consoles, but the regular PS4 was free of crashes while the Pro was crashing regularly.

I am sorry, but out of nowhere I can currently only provide 2 out of personal party experience:
Remnant: From the Ashes, which was playable for the most, but in the swamp area was performaning so bad, that my friend on a regular PS4 said he cant continue to play (ever played Ragnarok Online? We are used to "bad performance" and low graphics).
Natural D0ctrine, while the game works in general, and the multiplayer performance was about alright, the lobby loading times difference between a Pro only, Pro-to-regular, and yes, even PS4 to PS3 or PSVita was possible, I could almost have made lunch and be ready for the game when it launches.

Horizon Chase Turbo was actually the opposite, it was running fine on both consoles, but the regular PS4 was free of crashes while the Pro was crashing regularly.
Well i didn't played those games so i can't say but from what i see it really depends on the developer and you can't really fault the Pro for that - ps. if you ever played PS3 games that was a patience simulator sometimes 🤣

that crashing is interesting tho

Last edited:
Until the game is made for PS5 only, and doesn’t also have to work on a PS4, we won’t see the best of GT on the PS5. I still think the late addition of PS4 compatibility is what really screwed GT over, I can only imagine what we lost in order to make the game work on both consoles, at the last moment, thanks to Sony being greedy.

Last edited:
Like @RobertHammer wrote. The only thing that makes developer lazy are dlls, fsr and so on. Every developer is happy with more horsepower to play with, better physics, particle effects better game AI, These are spots an AI upscaler cant do anything.
Im not a big fan of those upscale technics. There cost cpu-gpu headroom and increase the inputlag.

Last edited:
I think gt7 looks really good as graphics are concerned, specially the cars look so real even during gameplay in chasecam their is so much detail in the cars, some of enviroments is maybe not up there yet but i am not dissapointed overall with the graphics

Until the game is made for PS5 only, and doesn’t also have to work on a PS4, we won’t see the best of GT on the PS5. I still think the late addition of PS4 compatibility is what really screwed GT over, I can only imagine what we lost in order to make the game work on both consoles, at the last moment, thanks to Sony being greedy.
Well at the time PS5 was not easy to get, so in terms of sales, it had a lot of sense to keep compatibilty with the huge available PS4 users.

There is greed and there is the market where they face threats like Microsoft and they need to make huge profits to stay viable.

I think there will be no PS5 pro. There is no reason for one. The next one will be the PS6
Very reliable sources (who accurately leaked other PS hardware like the Edge controller and Portal) say it's real and have even discussed the specs. It will in all likelihood be out this time next year, even more so if GTA 6 is due at that time.

Well at the time PS5 was not easy to get, so in terms of sales, it had a lot of sense to keep compatibilty with the huge available PS4 users.

There is greed and there is the market where they face threats like Microsoft and they need to make huge profits to stay viable.
Maybe to some people it made sense, in a money way. But I didn’t buy a PS5 just to play a PS4 game. I wanted a dedicated PS5 version of GT, that wasn’t compensating for the things a PS4 can’t do. Now I won’t get that until the end of the PS5’s lifecycle, if we even get it at all. And we were all told that’s what we were getting, right up until the last minute when Sony made PD turn GT7 into a PS4 compatible game also, who knows what we lost out on during that process.

Last edited:
Maybe to some people it made sense, in a money way. But I didn’t buy a PS5 just to play a PS4 game. I wanted a dedicated PS5 version of GT, that wasn’t compensating for the things a PS4 can’t do. Now I won’t get that until the end of the PS5’s lifecycle, if we even get it at all. And we were all told that’s what we were getting, right up until the last minute when Sony made PD turn GT7 into a PS4 compatible game also, who knows what we lost out on during that process.
Including laggy cross-gen lobbies as a side effect.
EA seemed to do the right thing with BF2042 and creating "2 different games" that are capable of playing together as long as the weaker versions criteria are fulfilled.

Last edited:
GT7 was designed, started and went through a lot of its development with the plan of it being a PS5 exclusive. Because PD is a subsidiary of SIE I’m sure the team knew the exact specs PS5 would have so they could make the game to, if not fully, take advantage of its features and capabilities without issues. They knew the limits and developed to meet them.

Then came the curveball that it would need to be cross gen compatible, most likely due to COVID and the issues of producing enough PS5 to sell at and immediately following launch. I don’t think that has ever been publicly confirmed as the reason, though it may have been by now, and that’s what most point to as the reason rather late in development PD had to change course and make GT7 compatible with PS4. Given that PS5 isn’t a massive leap forward from the PS4 Pro, I’m guessing this wasn’t that difficult, however I’m sure some sacrifices had to be made somewhere to achieve this. The call had to be made to make the game profitable, or at least meet the expectations of sales for the amount spent on its development.

I don’t think GT7 is downscaled for PS5 in the way that some people assume it is. I think it works the PS5 pretty effectively and often close to its limits of where the hardware and firmware are at present. Yes, they could always make it even better with a better console, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s downscaled for the PS5 we have, since it really was designed to be exclusive to the PS5 we got from the get-go.

PS5 Pro dev kits have been confirmed to be out there being used for months now, so it’s a pretty safe bet we will get one before PS6. Exactly what it will offer or how big the jump in performance will be though is very questionable at this point unless I’ve missed something recently that provides reliable info, and not just fanboy speculation and expectations.

Maybe downscaled was not the proper term, however, if it wasn't for the 120 fps patch we would have never known that a higher frame rate and IMO a better level of detail was possible. It's probably just a placebo effect, but there seems to be more added visually than just an unlocked frame rate in resolution mode when it comes to the replays. The reflections are better, the level of detail for the cars and environments is sharper and crisper, IMO less pop-in, and less blur at a distance in comparison to performance mode and ray tracing mode. Which leads me to believe there is more possible with GT7!

A further argument is the reduction in quality for the license tests. You can tell the replays are not the same quality even in resolution mode in comparison to regular replays, even the gameplay is not the same. Which IMO leads me to believe that PD can put events in the game which are not optimized.

You can tell the replays are not the same quality even in resolution mode in comparison to regular replays, even the gameplay is not the same.
Im not going to take screenshots or have a lookf for myself, but without any picture, I dont believe there is a difference of quality for replays of currently added license tests and replays of any currently driven event. The same goes for gameplay quality.

Gt7 is a PS4 and especially a PSVR2 game.

It's not doing stuff that is PS5 level yet it is among the top 5 looking games on the console...

It's running on GT Sport upgraded engine.

Strictly speaking, this sentence doesnt make sense.
I know lol

What I mean is, I think they seized the cross gen opportunity to have the game weigh much less with simpler assets on the PS5 (GT Sport engine - 2d trees and stuff like that), and have it run amazingly on the PSVR2 with the Gt
Sport updated engine.

The game is fairly light - it can run at 4k100fps most times with VRR.

GT7 is a supremely smart designed game graphics wise - looks fantastic while not being that heavy on the GPU and CPU. Has great IQ, great lightning... Everyone should watch Kentaro Suzuki presentation from this year, talking about the games graphics.

I'm really curious to see GT8, maybe the IQ will be worse with better assets like trees and vegetation, or draw distance

GT7 Ps5 pro will look amazing though, same graphics with improved LODs.

Back