Is GT7 fast becoming the worst of the GT Series?

• Thread starter Tuono_GT
  • 861 comments
South Africa
South Africa
OK, so you've done all your Licences, completed the Cafe Menu and done every circuit race/challenge… what now?

The Weekly races are only good for so long and even shorter if you keep getting nailed by the penalty system for no good reason.

After all, how can you be penalised (track limits, for example) when some neanderthal deliberately punts you off the circuit. And, because of said same neanderthal you lose your ‘clean race’ factor. Seriously? I could go on but I’m sure you’ve all experienced the same in one form or another.

Is it just me or was (apologies... I can’t actually remember which one) GT5 or 6 way better in terms of decent content? Everything just appears to be so limited right now and I for one am getting a little frustrated, especially with the Bugs in the system.

Gt7 in a nutshell.

Widebody is great. The tuning is good. The feel/physics is the best yet.

Beyond that, it's a dumpster fire.

Once you complete the circuit experience, it's just a bunch of tedium.

Here’s another SUPER EASY AND DOABLE FIX
--> 5 Lap, 5 pepper races, with a grid start.
--> bring back handicap bonus for single player races.

I for one can't understand how good ideas for making the game more interesting FLOODS this board. Yet, PD settled on this? After 5 years, this is what they thought was best?

Last edited:
It's not even close at this point. I used to complain about GT6 being nothing but a cash-grab that was released after PS4 was on the market, but it was still a good GT game. GT7 has good "bones" and massive unfulfilled potential, but having potential does not make a good game until said potential is met.

The defenders make the case that GT7 will end up like GT Sport with content added over 2-3 years to make it complete, but what does that really matter when it's an online game? Once the servers go down the game is gone forever. Sport was intended to be an online eSports game, not my thing but it achieved its goal. GT7 was supposed to be the "return to Gran Turismo's roots" and it has been a failure on almost every front when measuring it against the first 6 games. It's the worst in the series by a large margin

OK, so you've done all your Licences, completed the Cafe Menu and done every circuit race/challenge… what now?
In terms of curated single player content, sorry, that's it. More will be added in the coming years but obviously that's of little use to you now, in June 2022. Sorry if you hoped for a big game on release day, GT just seems incapable of that since they entered the "Release it now, patch it later" era of gaming with PS3.

In terms of curated single player content, sorry, that's it. More will be added in the coming years but obviously that's of little use to you now, in June 2022. Sorry if you hoped for a big game on release day, GT just seems incapable of that since they entered the "Release it now, patch it later" era of gaming with PS3.
I don't remember 5 or 6 being anywhere near this bad in terms of single player content on launch, let alone 3mo post-launch. They added things like the ability to exit/re-enter endurance races, enabled trading/car renting between friends, track editor, drift trials. The career mode was intact in both titles on launch. The major updates (Spec 2's) brought in seasonal content and cars, but we had hundreds of hours of gameplay at launch or within a couple patches in GT5, probably twice the amount of content on release of GT6.

They definitely began the process of adding features over time in the PS3 era, but it's not like GT7 where we still have 3 entire licenses with no content to speak of (or very little... the Gr. 1 races added in 1.15 might technically count as IA, but the UI is such a mess I'm not even sure) GT5 was about 90% complete on launch. GT6 was about 95% complete on launch. GT7 is maybe 50% complete 3mo in... Can't wait to see what GT8 is like! Licenses, 12 races, and 40 cars on launch... That's the trajectory we seem to be on at this point, lol

it’s slightly better than GTSport in a few single player areas, they didn’t do this very well though so the people who were hoping for a proper single player game are disappointed. and it’s worse in almost every way at being the sequel to GTSport for esports so that side of the community are also dissapointed. I agree that it’s the worst release of the series.

I don't remember 5 or 6 being anywhere near this bad in terms of single player content on launch, let alone 3mo post-launch. They added things like the ability to exit/re-enter endurance races, enabled trading/car renting between friends, track editor, drift trials. The career mode was intact in both titles on launch. The major updates (Spec 2's) brought in seasonal content and cars, but we had hundreds of hours of gameplay at launch or within a couple patches in GT5, probably twice the amount of content on release of GT6.

They definitely began the process of adding features over time in the PS3 era, but it's not like GT7 where we still have 3 entire licenses with no content to speak of (or very little... the Gr. 1 races added in 1.15 might technically count as IA, but the UI is such a mess I'm not even sure) GT5 was about 90% complete on launch. GT6 was about 95% complete on launch. GT7 is maybe 50% complete 3mo in... Can't wait to see what GT8 is like! Licenses, 12 races, and 40 cars on launch... That's the trajectory we seem to be on at this point, lol
It's definitely got worse, but GT5 1.00 was very barebones in many areas, if not the career mode. It needed a whole lot of work.

Worst so far. At least for the numbered entries. Sport was personally the worst for me but it gets a pass since its goal was pretty clear, just not something I was interested in. I'm sure 7 will get better over time and then we will get 8 and it will certainly disappoint at launch but eventually get finished long after release.

"Becoming the worst" shouldn't make sense. It should be at its worst on release and only getting better over time. It should only become better than the worst, if it were to change position on a scale of worst to best at all.

However... the updates aren't improving much and many other things have been worsened. Payouts were bad on release, worsened in 1.07, only to be slightly improved from there in 1.09. New races were added that pay very well, averaging about 10,000 per mile, in response to complaints over the horrible in-game economy. Then they did nothing like this again, and the Gr.1 races added recently still only range between 3,230 and 4,848 credits per mile of racing. In 1.15, they increased the overall cost of legend cars by more than 10,000,000 credits while announcing they will raise the prices again in a few months. Custom race payouts were already comically low, and barely improved from there around 1.09... and then worsened very slightly in 1.15. Physics were awful on release, and improved from there. The cars were finally much more drivable... until force feedback was broken on many wheels in 1.15.

Every step forward comes with at least one step back.

Ahh yes, because what this forum needs is yet another whining and crying thread...

Speaking of, would it be a good idea to reintroduce those so there is a common place for people to make general complaints about the game? They seemed to work fairly well on the GT5 and GT6 forums.

For me GT7 is a let down in terms of how much there is to do, but otherwise I think there is a lot of potential once some of the main criticisms are addressed or at least improved. I think in a few months we will see a much improved game (and no I don't particularly like the live service model).

Definitely not becoming the worse.. for me. Building cars to replicate racing modifications from GT1-GT4 and custom races are making this game one of the best in the franchise.

I’ve completed the licence tests, haven’t done all the Circuit Experiences and have two of the Missions to complete(I’ll get to them at some point of maybe not at all). I’ve got the cars I wanted and only above half the car collection(many cars not by choice). So, no. For me, it’s not becoming the worse. Some frustrating aspects. Some Bad choices made. I’m using what we have, right now, to full effect.

edit: @finnracer its not going to make a difference. Some members have surfaced to where, the old ways are gone. Lack of decorum while cruising these pages: “If I don’t see it on the first page, I ain’t searchin’ For it. “

Last edited:
Ahh yes, because what this forum needs is yet another whining and crying thread...

Speaking of, would it be a good idea to reintroduce those so there is a common place for people to make general complaints about the game? They seemed to work fairly well on the GT5 and GT6 forums.

For me GT7 is a let down in terms of how much there is to do, but otherwise I think there is a lot of potential once some of the main criticisms are addressed or at least improved. I think in a few months we will see a much improved game (and no I don't particularly like the live service model).
Why wait in a few months or many many months time for content from previous numbered games like tracks & cars, they should have already been in the game.

Some people are dense thinking GT7 is a best in the franchise.

Well I happen to have the most fun in a gt game since gt4. 5, I really didn’t enjoy. 6 was better imo. Sport I liked but didn’t do it for me. The fact that we have proper custom races, fantastic weather and time of day options and some really challenging race make this a great entry in the series for me.

Worst so far. At least for the numbered entries. Sport was personally the worst for me but it gets a pass since its goal was pretty clear, just not something I was interested in. I'm sure 7 will get better over time and then we will get 8 and it will certainly disappoint at launch but eventually get finished long after release.
I used to have the same opinion about Sport as you until I joined a league during the pandemic.

GT Sport has been the GT game I have enjoyed the most so far since GT1. I ended up buying a wheel and a cockpit.

But, it is true that what made GT Sport such a great game to me is the people I met, not the content of the game per se. Although even if I had not joined it, I would still think it ended up being a very polished game in the sense that its most important feature, online racing, worked pretty well.

Regarding GT7... well, I can say very few good things about it at this moment.

Last edited:

Shall we also limit all the positive comments to a single thread as well?

Just two threads per title:
  • Stuff I Like
  • Stuff I Don't Like

I mean it will make moderation easier, but I don't think it will make the site better at all.

Shall we also limit all the positive comments to a single thread as well?

Just two threads per title:
  • Stuff I Like
  • Stuff I Don't Like

I mean it will make moderation easier, but I don't think it will make the site better at all.
I feel that there are lots of threads that are quite generic in their nature that those sort of threads could encompass. Stuff like 'is this game is fast becoming the worst gt', 'this game does everything in its power to demotivate me to play it' and 'gt7 has failed to be gran turismo'.

Other threads see a lot of criticism or even focus on it but tend to be focussed on a certain topic so fit better and have a more focussed discussion - i.e. update 1.xx discussion, online play issues, being unable to sell cars, game being slow to earn credits in etc.

Of course, this is just my opinion.

I feel that there are lots of threads that are quite generic in their nature that those sort of threads could encompass. Stuff like 'is this game is fast becoming the worst gt', 'this game does everything in its power to demotivate me to play it' and 'gt7 has failed to be gran turismo'.

Other threads see a lot of criticism or even focus on it but tend to be focussed on a certain topic so fit better and have a more focussed discussion - i.e. update 1.xx discussion, online play issues, being unable to sell cars, game being slow to earn credits in etc.

Of course, this is just my opinion.
And the ones that people contribute to will stay active and the ones that don't will fall down the board. Just the same as with the positive ones.

It's a model that works well for GT Planet.

The restrictive economy and always online GaaS crap that launched severely lacking content with little to no communication or content for months soured me on it.

There’s a good, fun game in there though. I just already quit playing after getting gold in everything. Waiting for more content any day or year now.

Last edited:
I used to have the same opinion about Sport as you until I joined a league during the pandemic.

GT Sport has been the GT game I have enjoyed the most so far since GT1. I ended up buying a wheel and a cockpit.

But, it is true that what made GT Sport such a great game to me is the people I met, not the content of the game per se. Although even if I had not joined it, I would still think it ended up being a very polished game in the sense that its most important feature, online racing, worked pretty well.

Regarding GT7... well, I can say very few good things about it at this moment.
Yeah, dedicated leagues are great. Had a lot of fun back in the day with GTR, rFactor and iRacing for a time, even tried with AC but ultimately I just dont have the time and structure to participate today. So these days I look for the single player experience and especially with this series(and Forza), the cars. AI doesnt need to be great, just give me a competent/compelling campaign and the cars to support it. Sport tried with the single player update, which I appreciated, but ultimately didnt have the cars to support it, felt wholy tacked on, and many of the events felt more like single make races. This go around, PD could have just copied the campaign from 4(Peak GT IMO), add the online from Sport, make sure to include the ability to race ghosts/lines from friends, and bring back seasonal events to keep us single players coming back, and this would have been the ultimate(most complete) GT.

As it stands, 7 is by far the worst numbered game for me. Currently not even playing it. Certainly has moved forward in many respects but just seems to have lost its soul. PD has all the pieces, tools and legacy to make a great game but I am at a loss as to why they don't. Seems almost wilful at this point to shoot for mediocrity. Probably being particularly hard on the game since I'm replaying 4 and it has been quite enjoyable. So for now, I wait to see what the next update will bring, watch this forum for news, continue to play 4 for the cars and campaign and get my pure racing/time attack fix on PC in VR.

Last edited:
Nah not the best but for sure is in the same level or more than GT5...for the moment is the third place in the GT line up saga

Last edited:
Definitely not becoming the worse.. for me. Building cars to replicate racing modifications from GT1-GT4 and custom races are making this game one of the best in the franchise.

I’ve completed the licence tests, haven’t done all the Circuit Experiences and have two of the Missions to complete(I’ll get to them at some point of maybe not at all). I’ve got the cars I wanted and only above half the car collection(many cars not by choice). So, no. For me, it’s not becoming the worse. Some frustrating aspects. Some Bad choices made. I’m using what we have, right now, to full effect.

edit: @finnracer its not going to make a difference. Some members have surfaced to where, the old ways are gone. Lack of decorum while cruising these pages: “If I don’t see it on the first page, I ain’t searchin’ For it. “
I don't know why PD doesn't up the custom race payouts by atleast 3-5x what they are currently, the custom races are actually a ton of fun and are pretty much the only reason I really play GT7 now.

Back