Is GT7 the end of the road?

• Thread starter Brego
  • 59 comments

Is this the end for PD/GT?

• Yes

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • No

Votes: 100 86.2%
  • Yes, but next version won't be worthy of the title "Gran Turismo".

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • YES! PD is sandbagging, and GT8 will be the everlasting gobstopper of all time!

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • NO! PD is sandbagging and the next GT will be awesome!

Votes: 12 10.3%

• Total voters
United States
United States
So I bought GT Sport only 2 weeks ago, and last night made it to 50% complete with not much game time at all. On the license exams, I was actually disappointed to be getting gold almost every test, usually on the first or second attempt. I know I'm not the only one to be disappointed with the ease of gold licenses in GT Sport. Then of course the number of cars is --- (fill in the blank), track editor removed, etc etc.

I don't want this to be a /cry or /complain type thread. I am just wondering what are your thoughts are on the trajectory of the franchise. Based on the half-a-game PD tossed at us this time around, do you think this will be the last Gran Turismo? I feel like they just gave up before they were even halfway done. And if they gave up when they were already in development, selling only 5M copies total, why would they bother with GT8?

I’ve put 500hrs into GT Sport. It’s the best Gran Turismo so far and I go back well before the original was released.

The game is a year old and getting better every month. Incidentally, you judge a titles sales long after the generation is over. They will be at over 6.5m players on the one year anniversary. The title also continues to chart across Europe and on PSN.

Last edited:
Is GT7 the end of the road?
do you think this will be the last Gran Turismo?
GT Sport isn't GT7, it's GT Sport.
Based on the half-a-game PD tossed at us this time around, do you think this will be the last Gran Turismo? I feel like they just gave up before they were even halfway done. And if they gave up when they were already in development, selling only 5M copies total, why would they bother with GT8?
Ah, this again.

PD's been pretty clear that this is an esports-focused game and not a traditional GT game since it first announced the title as GT Sport and not GT7. On that basis there's no particular reason to suggest it's half a game - or less - or that PD gave up (given that it continues to add content). And there's certainly nothing missing from the game that impacts how the rest of the game plays.

That aside, your poll options are pretty much nonsense. People can't select two of them unless they also agree with conditional statements, and they're redundant anyway because there's an unconditional option with the same answer. The fact you felt the need to put three options to agree with you but only one to disagree with you is also quite telling.

I’ve put 500hrs into GT Sport. It’s the best Gran Turismo so far and I go back well before the original was released.

The game is a year old and getting better every month.

I forgot to qualify my post: I'm not into the online racing competing against other players, so that whole aspect is unimportant to me. Which area of the game are you spending all that time?

GT Sport isn't GT7, it's GT Sport.

Ah, this again.

PD's been pretty clear that this is an esports-focused game and not a traditional GT game since it first announced the title as GT Sport and not GT7. On that basis there's no particular reason to suggest it's half a game - or less - or that PD gave up (given that it continues to add content). And there's certainly nothing missing from the game that impacts how the rest of the game plays.

That aside, your poll options are pretty much nonsense. People can't select two of them unless they also agree with conditional statements, and they're redundant anyway because there's an unconditional option with the same answer. The fact you felt the need to put three options to agree with you but only one to disagree with you is also quite telling.

I suspect there are threads on this, but not obvious from search results. I did a few before I posted.

I put the wrong Yes/No for the last answer, it should have been no (check the context of the statement).

Re: Sport vs GT. I think that is probably a better question. I am not into online competition against other players at all. Is "Sport" the new direction and that is all its going to be?

I will never understand the obsession with car count, never. How much time do you have?

I'd actually reduce the car count and lean more towards race cars.

LOTS of other things besides just car count. I'm only using that as an example... Then again, as Famine pointed out, this is "Sport" so single player guys like me can apparantly just go take a hike. I think I have my answer now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I played GT3 and GT5 to death, and when I saw what GT Sport was I wasn't interested. However having completely accidentally watched some youtube videos of the online play I could see this was something else.

Like you I've never been interested in online racing, but (for the most part) the online racing for me works really well and has some brilliant moments. I didn't buy GT Sport for the offline elements and if that is what I bought it for I would have been left disappointed. As it is the offline stuff for me is there to get cars and credits. Yes the license exams are way easier than previous instalments, but again, that's not why I bought GT Sport.

If you enjoy racing, try Sport Mode. It takes a little getting used to as people don't drive the way AI does, but it's much much more exciting.

As others have said, GT Sport still has way more cars than you'll ever drive, and track editors have never been of interest to me.

It all really depends on what you want out of the game.

So I bought GT Sport only 2 weeks ago, and last night made it to 50% complete with not much game time at all. On the license exams, I was actually disappointed to be getting gold almost every test, usually on the first or second attempt. I know I'm not the only one to be disappointed with the ease of gold licenses in GT Sport. Then of course the number of cars is --- (fill in the blank), track editor removed, etc etc.

I don't want this to be a /cry or /complain type thread. I am just wondering what are your thoughts are on the trajectory of the franchise. Based on the half-a-game PD tossed at us this time around, do you think this will be the last Gran Turismo? I feel like they just gave up before they were even halfway done. And if they gave up when they were already in development, selling only 5M copies total, why would they bother with GT8?

This was always an online focused Esport edition of the franchise and not a traditional GT.

I don't know if they will return to the GT formula of old. Online player vs player is the way most franchise are heading now, and to be honest, I wouldn't be interested in an "old school" gran turismo anymore. I spent most of my time in GT5 & 6 in online lobbies and I think PD may have had this kind of information when they made the decision to focus on esport/online.

My opinion only.

As Famine pointed out, I think the problem for me is the change in focus to "Sport" mode.

I'm just not interested in it, and if that is the new direction from now on, then.... I guess I need suggestions.

Admin feel free to delete the thread, as I didn't give proper consideration to "Gran Turismo" vs. "Sport", which pretty much invalidates the whole question for me. And also I made an error in my poll question which I can't change so... :(

Love how people complain about GTS and how there is less emphasis on "driving" and more on "racing" and thus a major racecar-orientated car list... I am fairly sure this is the first GT in a long time to not have "The Real DRIVING Simulator" tagline, is that not a clue for some people? Apparently not.

LOTS of other things besides just car count. I'm only using that as an example... Then again, as Famine pointed out, this is "Sport" so single player guys like me can apparantly just go take a hike. I think I have my answer now.

Just get PCARSII then, offline it works ...kinda.

For me it's about racing not driving or car collecting or whatever, so GTS works so far as I am concerned.

In terms of ‘car collecting’. I get much more enjoyment collecting liveries for my favourite cars, testing liveries, specific race winners etc. So much better than previous GT’s when we just had one livery. Worse still when it was a fantasy livery.

No it will only get better. Pushing online was a good move as it boosts PS+ subs which in turn makes the upper management happy - not that I believe sacking Kaz or PD was ever on the table.

I am too more interested in single player than mp and so GTS is not a perfect game for me but I still enjoy it. I tried other games but GT has the most enjoyable handling out of all of them.

I feel like with GT7 or whatever the next game is called we'll get the "full package" back with sport mode being just a prominent but not central part of the game.

Love how people complain about GTS and how there is less emphasis on "driving" and more on "racing" and thus a major racecar-orientated car list... I am fairly sure this is the first GT in a long time to not have "The Real DRIVING Simulator" tagline, is that not a clue for some people? Apparently not.

Perfect example of why I'm not interested in interacting with other players.

You guys also need to be aware that GT Sport is an E-Sport game, that means that it should last for a really long time and i would not be surprised at all if they release it again on next gen, imo we can expect at least 4-5 more years of this GT-Sport, it's taking the way of every other e-sport oriented game (adding new content on regular basis, balancing the game, having big live events (PD if you read this pls i can't wait anymore to know where the world final will be :lol:)
Those of you who already played any game in wich competition and rankings between player is key of the game will understand my point i think ;)

Like you I've never been interested in online racing, but (for the most part) the online racing for me works really well and has some brilliant moments. I didn't buy GT Sport for the offline elements and if that is what I bought it for I would have been left disappointed. As it is the offline stuff for me is there to get cars and credits. Yes the license exams are way easier than previous instalments, but again, that's not why I bought GT Sport.

If you enjoy racing, try Sport Mode. It takes a little getting used to as people don't drive the way AI does, but it's much much more exciting.

Same here. My joy in the game used to be solely in tweaking and tuning slower cars and pushing them as far up the Campaign progression as I could get away with. That led me to the joys of tune hunting and getting used to the characteristics of a car. Online racing used to just be 1 guy hot lapping a track for 3 hours just to start a race and smoke you as soon as you got into his lobby. I would run the occasional shuffle race here and there and that was the extent of my online racing fun.

Racing in the GT Sport beta totally changed my mind. The races were dynamic, challenging, and fun in a way that I had never experienced in an online game before. Just the concept of an SR ranking resulting in real consequences was a drastic game changer that effected how everyone raced while adding a minor sense of fear to making a mistake. You really can't truly compete if people don't care and their penalty system forced people to care even if it was just a little bit.

GT has always been a game that I drift in and out of like a hobby more than a video game. GT Sport sort of ensures that it will have a place in my lineup of games that I constantly play.

I’ve had the game since release, I’ve reached level 50, golded all the offline, reached my peak in gtsport at DR A.

I’ve bought or won all the vr driveable cars (220+ I think), and I’d say I’ve ‘completed’ about 5% of what the game has to offer.

Edit : the reason I was posting... previous titles and other games just need to show you a shiny rear of car and cockpit, adding cars or hundreds of cars is pretty quick and easy compared to completely doing the interior for psvr.

It's a pretty good game in current format. Needs a few more tracks, better code for the G29, more daily/weekly events (one event per class and let grid count fall where they will...), and (much) harsher penalties for dirty racing. The real question is "is it good enough to keep me in the PlayStation family", and the answer there is "not at the moment." (I am only on PS for GT, and right now that seems like a poor decision. Sony, PD? My G29 works on PC, too. Are you listening?)

Perfect example of why I'm not interested in interacting with other players.

I wouldn't take it personally. This community on the whole is really good. People share "secrets" and tips. Advice on the whole is good on this forum.

If multiplayer isn't your thing, Pcars2 or Assetto Corsa could be a better option for you. Geared more to single player sim racing. You'd pick up the first Pcars pretty cheap I'm sure. Are you on a wheel or pad? Both Pcars and AC can be tricky to get the feel right on a DS4.

I enjoyed Pcars but got bored of single player, and the online lobbies were horrific. That is where GTS wins big for me.

I wouldn't take it personally. This community on the whole is really good. People share "secrets" and tips. Advice on the whole is good on this forum.

If multiplayer isn't your thing, Pcars2 or Assetto Corsa could be a better option for you. Geared more to single player sim racing. You'd pick up the first Pcars pretty cheap I'm sure. Are you on a wheel or pad? Both Pcars and AC can be tricky to get the feel right on a DS4.

I enjoyed Pcars but got bored of single player, and the online lobbies were horrific. That is where GTS wins big for me.

Thanks Mr616,

That makes 2 suggestions for Pcars2, so I will definitely look into it. I'll take a look at Assetto Corsa also. I have the newest G29, and honestly don't know some people (like my coworker) can keep up with just the dpad.

GT is only getting better. They've finally nailed the online, all cars are premium, tracks look great, fully functioning livery editor, kicked off an esports scene for it and reached the climax of photomode.

Cars and tracks will be added over time, so I only see GT getting better from here because of the great foundation GTS has laid.

Thanks Mr616,

That makes 2 suggestions for Pcars2, so I will definitely look into it. I'll take a look at Assetto Corsa also. I have the newest G29, and honestly don't know some people (like my coworker) can keep up with just the dpad.

If you're on a wheel, you shouldn't have issues. I haven't played Pcars2 but did play the first one, and Assetto at launch. Very good in their own right, but not for me.

Hope you find something that fits what you're looking for.

GT Sport will always be waiting for you ;)

Given all the latest news around Poly as a studio, I'm quite optimistic. Just look at some of the new premium cars like the 22B STI, Supra RZ or NSX Type R first gen, M3 E30... For years, we've asked Poly to make them premium. Another new circuit will be probably announce at the Madrid event and so on. GTSport will never be my favorite GT for obvious reasons (customisation, career...) but GT7 could be a new start.

First off, welcome to the 'Planet. :gtpflag:

To answer the OP question: no, it's not. It may end up being the only title on PS4, but I'm okay with that. It's an excellent platform for PD to build upon, as it doesn't really need a sequel. I'd rather the team do that, and have a new title ready shortly after the PS5 launch, than the GT6 situation, where a game came out on a system that had already been replaced.

As Famine pointed out, I think the problem for me is the change in focus to "Sport" mode.

I'm just not interested in it, and if that is the new direction from now on, then.... I guess I need suggestions.

I'm not going to spend too much time trying to convince you of Sport Mode, because a lot of people have made quite compelling arguments in here already. I would say, like a good TV series, it takes a while to grow on you. It very much has the ability to make you utter "just one more race"... only to find out it's been three hours.

But if you've made up your mind, it's unlikely you'll change it.

If you really like racing, but against the AI, I'd recommend checking out Project CARS 2. There are tons of disciplines, a lot of cool race cars, and the track list is so much better than anything else on consoles. It's not nearly as pretty as GT Sport, and there's a lot of per-car tinkering to really get the most out of it.

Conveniently, we recently had an article on how the game's evolved in the past year:
https://www.gtplanet.net/project-ca...e-deepest-sim-on-consoles-still-needs-polish/

If one of the big draws of the classic GT games was the car collecting, the Jay Leno-esque massive garage aspect, check out Forza Motorsport 7. The car list is possibly the best one ever in the genre. The track list is pretty good too — not PCARS2 good, but better than most anything else. It's the worst of the three for a wheel user though, and while it features dynamic weather, it doesn't really convey the impact that makes for the player.

Conveniently, we recently had an article on how the game's evolved in the past year:
https://www.gtplanet.net/project-ca...e-deepest-sim-on-consoles-still-needs-polish/

A GT Sport retrospective isn't far behind, either...

Admin feel free to delete the thread, as I didn't give proper consideration to "Gran Turismo" vs. "Sport", which pretty much invalidates the whole question for me. And also I made an error in my poll question which I can't change so... :(

No need for us to delete it; you're asking for advice. As for the poll; if you're serious about wanting to change it, we can reset it and set up new options.

Edit : the reason I was posting... previous titles and other games just need to show you a shiny rear of car and cockpit, adding cars or hundreds of cars is pretty quick and easy compared to completely doing the interior for psvr.

Er, just about every major racing game has interiors these days. None do it quite to the level of GTS' stitches-on-the-rear-seats interior modelling, but it's close, and VR doesn't really change that from a work-invested standpoint. Other games have also adopted under-the-skin modelling for things such as engine bays or opening parts of the bodywork.

Well for starters, GT Sport IS NOT GT7, it's a separate game from the main franchise, so some changes like the swift to E-Sports are to be expected since that was the major selling point of the game since it's announcement, as well as the lackluster campaign mode and lack of track editor because of that, the game wants to see you playing online with others from around the world to see who is the best and that's why we have FIA homologated championships, the campaign mode was added in a update after so many fan complaints but it was never the intended focus of the game.

Though I will concede that this game does feels incomplete at times, like the lack of real mechanical damage on cars and believeable visual damage(scratched paintjob doesn't cut it), weather options, dynamic time, dynamic weather, static cockpit view camera(that was moving and more engaging on the beta), incomplete VR mode, lack of snow tracks, underused rally cars, only two dirt tracks, most tracks doesn't show up on Sport Mode rotation and the odd car choices...Like they created 4 racecar categories based on real life FIA GT categories, but with each update they only bring out more and more roadcars and forget about what this game was in the first place...

But no, this certainly isn't the last game in the franchise, if a company has a very profitable product that is always selling well with each new installment, they will keep making more of that product and making more profits, simple.

Last edited:
I guess the biggest frustration with GTS is, it closed the GT6 servers down for those of us that don't like GTS's focus on fewer cars, tracks, no weather, no ToD, a beta esports experienced crippled by a complete lack of fault detection (get punted off road, it's both your faults!) and a change of emphasis from road to race cars.

To be blunt, if GT6's servers were still up, I'd be selling my GTS disk in a heartbeat. And I have a sneaking suspicion that many of us that loved GT5/6 would do the same. Graphics improvements just don't make up for the massive drop in content and features and the abandonment of host stewarded clean racing.

I left GTS mostly (I only race when there's an update, to see if the physics and tire model have improved), for AC and PC2. And if the improvements to GTS don't come thick and fast, I doubt I will be funding PD's next boondoggle.

I think it will continue to be built up as a service and the same cars and tracks will all transfer to the next iteration but with higher draw distances for the more detailed models.

Back