Is GT7 the end of the road?

• Thread starter Brego
  • 59 comments

Is this the end for PD/GT?

• Yes

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • No

Votes: 100 86.2%
  • Yes, but next version won't be worthy of the title "Gran Turismo".

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • YES! PD is sandbagging, and GT8 will be the everlasting gobstopper of all time!

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • NO! PD is sandbagging and the next GT will be awesome!

Votes: 12 10.3%

• Total voters
I doubt GTS launched with a deliberately lowered car count and track roster. The assets simply didn’t exist to create a game that matched the scope of previous entries in the series. It’s taken Polyphony almost a year to remaster the lions share of content from previous games, so only now are are we starting to see a single player campaign that resembles past releases.

I think the esports angle has been brilliant for Polyphony with GTS. It’s allowed them create a far more streamlined game with some of the best racing I’ve had in years. Plus it forced them to trim the bloat the series had been acquiring since GT3. 1200 cars? Great but give me a curated collection any day of the week. It’s why to this day I’ve always thought DriveClub had one of the best vehicle rosters in any racing game. A little over 100, but what an inspired collection. Such a shame those assets are collecting digital dust...

As for the racing, 1 race in Sport mode is worth 10 of any GT League event. Claiming even just a few positions online over real life competitors will always be a far more absorbing experience than essentially hot lapping circuits and avoiding the occasional vehicle in GT League. Easy wins against AI just feels hollow now, the sense of achievement diminished by comparison.

Fact is, this was a new GT built from the ground up. It was always going to be an awkward start for GT on PS4, but after almost a year since release it’s by far the best entry in the series. I imagine there will be a GT7 at some point in the future, but Sport mode from now on will be the very heart of what a contemporary Gran Turismo is all about. Plus with the DLC content released over the last year, crafting a CarPG for the next game shouldn’t prove as difficult as it was when GTS was first originally released.

I guess the biggest frustration with GTS is, it closed the GT6 servers down for those of us that don't like GTS's focus on fewer cars, tracks, no weather, no ToD, a beta esports experienced crippled by a complete lack of fault detection (get punted off road, it's both your faults!) and a change of emphasis from road to race cars.

To be blunt, if GT6's servers were still up, I'd be selling my GTS disk in a heartbeat. And I have a sneaking suspicion that many of us that loved GT5/6 would do the same. Graphics improvements just don't make up for the massive drop in content and features and the abandonment of host stewarded clean racing.

I left GTS mostly (I only race when there's an update, to see if the physics and tire model have improved), for AC and PC2. And if the improvements to GTS don't come thick and fast, I doubt I will be funding PD's next boondoggle.

Basically my thoughts.

This game nearly a year later is still a general disappointment for me after paying full price for 1/4th a game at release (maybe 1/3rd, 1/5th, who knows) only to be drip fed updates with a track here, a handful of cars there...

With so many holes and dropped features, there’s no way the eSport concept alone can convince me to carry on. Maybe for some, but not for me.

Meanwhile I fire it up occasionally to drive a new car against the AI in Arcade mode that meets my fancy, and even if the driving is sublime, there’s entirely too much lacking. 5 or 6 track weather/time scenarios, complete absence of any wet track conditions, a tuning model that’s been castrated, the list goes on.

There’s really nothing keeping me going, not the scapes locations, not the livery creator, not even GT League. The photo mode is terrific, but I’d rather drive them than photograph them.

Two days shy of the 1 year anniversary I can tell you how much I like a game by the amount of time spent with it, and this one is dead last on my all time GT mainline gameplay list. The racing genre has become too competitive and crowded I simply don’t have time for fraction of a game.

PD's been pretty clear that this is an esports-focused game and not a traditional GT game since it first announced the title as GT Sport and not GT7.
Yes and somehow sport mode has absimal amount of credits award compared to gt league.

Then of course the number of cars is --- (fill in the blank)
Is alright. Car list/count is like GT3 but better.

To me GT Sport is the modern equivalent of GT3. A Gran Turismo on a newer console, less car count but quality is better, etc. but lack of GT Mode which I don't mind since it's getting old hence I don't spend much time in GT League and I just spend more time either doing Sport Mode (if I had PS Plus sub) or just spend my time doing custom races (thinking of new combos and continue to improve in racing) and do the usual stuff make liveries and take photos with Scapes.

But overall this is not the end. And just like others GT Sport is not GT7. It's like a base for next GTs and such.

I have no idea how long the GT series will continue, but having tried most previous incarnations of the game, I think that the latest is the best by far.

I love being able to race against other players online - looking at who you are matched against, their times and their cars and setting a target for yourself - even seeing the starting grid and trying to remember who to avoid and who you have enjoyed racing in the past!

I also love how the game is regularly updated with new cars and tracks etc. I think it's incredible value for money.

The thing about 120 carefully selected cars vs 1,200 cars is that not all players are going to want the same 120 cars. By having a very high count car list, most players will be able to put together a collection to their own satisfaction, and not to the satisfaction of a comittee at PD. I don't necessarily want 1,200 cars, but for example, I want to have cars that are the same cars that I have owned IRL. I suspect I am not the only one that likes to race his own cars against each other, or a friends. How does my Subara Legacy GT Wagon handle Nurburgring? My '18 Challenger against my sisters '92 Viper?

I have been planning on finishing GTS and since I skipped GT6 due to IRL happening at a pace appropriate for Sarthe, I was going to buy a copy and go back to PS3. By the comments made in this thread, the servers are shut down. Does that mean that GT6 cannot be played and saved in single player campaign mode?

I doubt GTS launched with a deliberately lowered car count and track roster. The assets simply didn’t exist to create a game that matched the scope of previous entries in the series. It’s taken Polyphony almost a year to remaster the lions share of content from previous games, so only now are are we starting to see a single player campaign that resembles past releases.

I think the esports angle has been brilliant for Polyphony with GTS. It’s allowed them create a far more streamlined game with some of the best racing I’ve had in years. Plus it forced them to trim the bloat the series had been acquiring since GT3. 1200 cars? Great but give me a curated collection any day of the week. It’s why to this day I’ve always thought DriveClub had one of the best vehicle rosters in any racing game. A little over 100, but what an inspired collection. Such a shame those assets are collecting digital dust...

As for the racing, 1 race in Sport mode is worth 10 of any GT League event. Claiming even just a few positions online over real life competitors will always be a far more absorbing experience than essentially hot lapping circuits and avoiding the occasional vehicle in GT League. Easy wins against AI just feels hollow now, the sense of achievement diminished by comparison.

Fact is, this was a new GT built from the ground up. It was always going to be an awkward start for GT on PS4, but after almost a year since release it’s by far the best entry in the series. I imagine there will be a GT7 at some point in the future, but Sport mode from now on will be the very heart of what a contemporary Gran Turismo is all about. Plus with the DLC content released over the last year, crafting a CarPG for the next game shouldn’t prove as difficult as it was when GTS was first originally released.
Given the amount of time they spent developing it and the number of cars added on a monthly basis I'd say your opening paragraph is wide of the mark. Very wide indead.

As for Sport mode. THREE races a WEEK. Get real.

There's trimming the fat and there's boiling the bones. This doesn't look like a trimming to me.

the servers are shut down. Does that mean that GT6 cannot be played and saved in single player campaign mode?

Single player campaign can be played offline.

You can’t use the course creator which was a main feature of the game. All lobbies, quick match lobbies, seasonal/weekly events are shut down. You can still have fun, but gaining credits without the seasonals and daily login bonus could take a while.

Given the amount of time they spent developing it and the number of cars added on a monthly basis I'd say your opening paragraph is wide of the mark. Very wide indead.

There's trimming the fat and there's boiling the bones. This doesn't look like a trimming to me.

Sorry what point are you trying to make here?

I'd say losing dozens of MX5s, Skylines and countless other JDM variants as trimming the fat (I'm looking at you Midnight Purple R34!), not to mention losing the vast amounts of PS2 era assets that have absolutely no place at all in a contemporary racing game . What did you expect, GT6 the remastered edition? I'm no game developer but I can't imagine Polyphony have been sitting idle since 2015. If PS4 grade assets didn't exist at launch then they simply didn't exist. They've clearly tried to rectify the content issue by adding a host of new tracks and almost 100 cars (some new, but mostly existing classics). Would you rather have waited another year whilst they finished the job? Sure I was disappointed with GTS at launch but I'm fairly happy now with the direction the game is going. I can't think of any other racing game that's had a DLC program as comprehensive as Sport has had, plus the fact it's been released entirely for free.

My take is GT Sport is an open ended title. With updates of content and using online saving, the title can and could possibly expand well beyond expectation. It could even be port forwarded to PS5, and be retitled GT EVOLUTION. The ever evolving race title.

IMO the formula of online centric games is changing. GTA Online is a good example of what I mean. Day One and Year 5 GTA Online are literally unrecognizable from each other because they've added so much new content and game mechanics.

So far, GT Sport is shaping out the same way. In one year they've nearly doubled the track list and car list. They've also added lots of pretty big features.

In 6 months from now, if you still are finding things about GT Sport to complain about, I will question if you're even a Gran Turismo fan at all. Because the way things are shaping out, this game gets exponentially more exciting by the month.

my 2 cents.

What is this doom and gloom all of the sudden?The next GT is already at Pre-Production.

Because for some reason, people still can't take a hint that this "Half-finished" game isn't a traditional GT game. Apparently, that's enough reason for people to actually believe "GT is Dead" (when its far from it). Can't wait for another petition to resurrect servers for a game on a console that's long been replaced and is no longer being produced.

People complain about the lack of content in GTS, but people also complained about the ps2 model cars in GT5/6. I think the takeaway from this is that people just want to complain about something.

The only thing I miss on this game compared to other GT's in the tuning ability when "building" your car. It was a lot of fun saving up your money to build full tilt Miata's and Corvette's :guilty:

I think we should wait and see if/when GT7 is released before we right it off.

You're obviously from the future, but since you've broken one time-travel rule - leaving a trace that you've been here - you may as well break another and tell me next week's winning lottery numbers!

Yep. At this point there's no solid details at all so its all conjecture. You dont know what the PS5 is like, you dont even know the future plans for GT Sport so who knows what GT7 (or "GT World") will be like.

I feel like the future is safe. Like the world will still have the PS5 and the market will still need a Gran Turismo.

Let us focus on the 1st year anniversary and perhaps look at how GT Sport will evolve in its 2nd year. We hope that GT Sport will have a 3rd year.

Enjoy what we have now and in the coming months if not years.

I am optimistic. I really like what GT Sport has done in its framework or fundamentals. I feel like there's so much better here than in GT5/6. GT Sport just has to hang more content on these solid foundations.

I wish I could say the same for the other franchises. I feel better about GT Sport at the 1yr point than GT6 at the same time.

IMO the formula of online centric games is changing. GTA Online is a good example of what I mean. Day One and Year 5 GTA Online are literally unrecognizable from each other because they've added so much new content and game mechanics.

So far, GT Sport is shaping out the same way. In one year they've nearly doubled the track list and car list. They've also added lots of pretty big features.

In 6 months from now, if you still are finding things about GT Sport to complain about, I will question if you're even a Gran Turismo fan at all. Because the way things are shaping out, this game gets exponentially more exciting by the month.

my 2 cents.
I call it as I see it. Everyone will have a different view.

We know how quick PD now deliver cars and tracks. Now look at what originally was in the game and how long it took to arrive. Very simple. There was nowhere near enough content for that time period.

Now there is a pretty good amount of content. No complaints there from me.

Now look at what the game does with that content. The same bloody stupid chase the rabbit and dodge the mobile chicanes rubbish intruduced in GT6. This in itself shows PD don't know what they are doing.

The one good thing about that is the create race option. It is good but it needs new features adding.

And before you say "it's all about online"

Two stats for you. Trophy for watching a pair of two minute videos. 38.7%. You cannot race online unless you get that.

Percentage of players who have not done a Sport race. 77%. Apparently that number includes players who played the Beta which only had Sport mode open.

For your information, I've played GT since the first one on PS1. I bought a PS2 specifically for GT3. I sunk more hours into GT4 that all other games I had on PS1 and PS2 put together.

I own every UK officially released GT title. Everyone other than GT1 and GTS on or before official release date.

If there is something wrong about the game I will talk about it. If there is something right about the game I will not pretend is isn't there.

Last edited:
Two stats for you. Trophy for watching a pair of two minute videos. 38.7%. You cannot race online unless you get that.

Percentage of players who have not done a Sport race. 77%. Apparently that number includes players who played the Beta which only had Sport mode open.

Trophy percentages aren't the best statistic to use, they always look low.

For example, only 36% of players have hit level 15, that takes like 5 hours of gameplay and that's if you're really, really stretching it. I could use that counter argument to say, "well people clearly aren't playing much of the single player either" but its not true because almost every game reflects a similar trend in trophy statistics, including past GT games, so using the racing etiquette video as a benchmark for online interest doesn't really prove too much.

Secondly, stats were tracked during Open Beta, but not Closed Beta. Open Beta did indeed have plenty of single player elements open to play, including about a quarter of the campaign at the time. 77% not playing Sport Mode isn't bad at all honestly comparing the game to other titles in the genre, Only 13% have bothered with an Online Race in Project Cars 2.

The reason developers find its important to cater to those 20%-ish players that play online in most games is because those are the guys that are most likely to come back and repeatedly play the game after updates and whatnot, those are the players you are looking to retain over a longer period of time, as the 70-80% who have hardly played are unlikely to ever come back anyway. Honestly, I think they've done a good job of giving Single player and Multiplayer pretty equal amounts of attention post launch.

Trophy percentages aren't the best statistic to use, they always look low.

I think they've done a good job of giving Single player and Multiplayer pretty equal amounts of attention post launch.

This appears to be the case, however in my opinion since they have taken an entirely new tack, they should also have changed the name. Adding the word "sport" does not explicitly define the game as "mainly intended for online play". As far as I could tell, they added the word "Sport" for purely marketing reasons; to make it sound more exciting, so therefore I ignored it as marketing garbage. If the new direction had been more obvious, I would have saved myself $300 on a ps4 and another $300 on a wheel. If I buy a new seat, it will be dependant on how I feel about PC2, because 3 weeks in, I am 50% complete GTS, with less than (i'm guessing) 10 hrs per week. Golds are free, cars are free, I have $20m and no reason to buy anything. Spending mile points? lol, what the heck is that all about? No track editor, cant save anything offline, gah... like my OP, I don't want a hate thread, I'm just pointing out I have a valid complaint.

Obviously I am not the only one who has completed every* iteration of the game since the original, and it is 100% reasonable to have a certain expectation: that the GT title is going to be GT. But GTS is different, and that is where the disappointment comes from. Just because it has X number of similarities does not change the intented purpose of the game.

This appears to be the case, however in my opinion since they have taken an entirely new tack, they should also have changed the name. Adding the word "sport" does not explicitly define the game as "mainly intended for online play". As far as I could tell, they added the word "Sport" for purely marketing reasons; to make it sound more exciting, so therefore I ignored it as marketing garbage. If the new direction had been more obvious, I would have saved myself $300 on a ps4 and another $300 on a wheel. If I buy a new seat, it will be dependant on how I feel about PC2, because 3 weeks in, I am 50% complete GTS, with less than (i'm guessing) 10 hrs per week. Golds are free, cars are free, I have $20m and no reason to buy anything.

It sounds to me that you just made a poorly researched purchasing decision and are desperately trying to pin that blame on something else. Even a small amount of research on the game makes it abundantly clear what the games focus is, research that anyone should do before blowing 600 bucks.

Why should I assume the game changed, or that I need to research before I buy? There is no basis for that. I've been through all previous versions, and it has been the same kind of product, same focus, just better than the one before. There was no reason to think I needed to check out GTS first, they have already earned my respect, and they have a (except for prologue) an awesome track record. No reason to think I need to research the title first.

and I'm not "desperate to blame" or w/e. I'm just pointing something out. I do happen to have emotional stability, maturity, and a job that allows me to blow $600 without catastrophic consequences.

Honestly I think as long as PD still has the strong fanbase they have now, GT won't end anytime soon.

So I bought GT Sport only 2 weeks ago, and last night made it to 50% complete with not much game time at all. On the license exams, I was actually disappointed to be getting gold almost every test, usually on the first or second attempt. I know I'm not the only one to be disappointed with the ease of gold licenses in GT Sport. Then of course the number of cars is --- (fill in the blank), track editor removed, etc etc.

I don't want this to be a /cry or /complain type thread. I am just wondering what are your thoughts are on the trajectory of the franchise. Based on the half-a-game PD tossed at us this time around, do you think this will be the last Gran Turismo? I feel like they just gave up before they were even halfway done. And if they gave up when they were already in development, selling only 5M copies total, why would they bother with GT8?
To me this is the best Gran Turismo so far. It's one of my favorite games of any genre.
Also I am by far mostly an offline player of GTS, racing a car on a track vs ai in custom race mode does not and never will get old for me. I have also done over 50 online races which is incredible because I usually avoid online racing like the plague.
GTS is the gift that keeps giving, new cars and tracks on a monthly basis is just awesome. I love this game.

Last edited:
My verdict on this one is that maybe a few people would complain about GT Sport if GT6 also actually came out for PS4 about 4 or 5 years ago. Probably, with this reason, online servers may still be active for its players even if the game is already half a decade old.

Sadly, that's not the case at all. If you don't like how GT Sport fares because of what you or some players believe it lacks content, especially when compared to its predecessors, like cars or tracks, would you blame PD for this one and also them for not making GT6 available for PS4 at all?

Why should I assume the game changed, or that I need to research before I buy? There is no basis for that. I've been through all previous versions, and it has been the same kind of product, same focus, just better than the one before. There was no reason to think I needed to check out GTS first, they have already earned my respect, and they have a (except for prologue) an awesome track record. No reason to think I need to research the title first.
Because every single bit of pre release promotion from the moment it was first shown made it totally clear that this was a online competition based game that did away with the old car collection way?

That was why after some questions Kaz finally said the game would contain everything the previous games had. I don't think it does but that is why I didn't buy it until it was first on sale on the PSN.

It is not the franchise. PD is owner and creator. A franchise doesn't work like that. Numbers after the name don't do it franchise )))

Back