Is it worth buying a new PS3 console for GT6?

  • Thread starter Thread starter gtnoobie
  • 32 comments
  • 2,861 views
Messages
455
Messages
caijw
I've pretty much hanged up my GT5 racing gloves in late 2012. Then GT6 came and I restarted my PS3. But my PS3 has been acting up by auto shut down despite vacuuming the vents , cooler fan etc. While the ps3 allows on/off I've played GT6 up mid of national B race, I find GT6 almost like GT5 except with different interface. It's frustrating as it shuts mid race at time n need system restore n then refuse to turn on.

Question is, is GT6 improved enough over GT5 to be worth buying a new console for? I had every car in GT5 except x1 prototype so if it's more of the same I might just retire my copy of GT6 than buy an obsolete console.

For those who played both a lot please comment.
 
Wait for it on PS4. In the meantime get a PS4.
 
Lots of games is coming out to ps3 this year, so you really don't need ps4 yet, if i was you, i will buy myself a new ps3 and wait with the ps4 till the end of this year. And is gt6 better then gt5? Yes will i say, like the Goodwood Festival of Speed is tricky but fun, and it seems gt6 is easier but still not to easy.
 
Last edited:
I'm pretty much bored with GT6 already. I wouldn't bother with a new console just for this game. I'd get a PS4.
 
No would be my answer, but on the other hand, PS3s are very cheap second hand. I have a PS4 but no games for it. Kind of sucks.

-Sonny
 
No would be my answer, but on the other hand, PS3s are very cheap second hand. I have a PS4 but no games for it. Kind of sucks.

-Sonny

That's why I haven't made the move to PS4 yet... No games I want. When Drive Club releases, I'll be the first in line.
 
If you could pick up a used PS3 for cheap it would be worth it but Im not sure that GT 6 is so new and improved that I would go out and buy a PS3 just for that one game.
Before 6, the last GT game I played was GT2, so it was a huge upgrade for me but it seems like a lot of people dont think that GT6 was all that much of an upgrade over GT5.

That's why I haven't made the move to PS4 yet... No games I want. When Drive Club releases, I'll be the first in line.
Same here. When GT7 or some other really great racing game comes out on PS4, I'll pick one up but until then Im perfectly happy with the PS3.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I picked up GT6 because I didn't want to get the first gen PS4.

LOL
 
There are plenty of other games besides GT 6 that are on the PS 3 that would make getting a "new" to you PS 3 worth it......besides there are not that many good games on the PS 4 yet ........
 
Products tend to lose luster when you get caught up in the new vs old paradigm. I say go for it. GT6 is a great game for what it is. I haven't experienced any freezes or update issues. I understand there are reports of this and I feel for those involved. I do recommend getting an intercooler for your PS3 and purchasing a slim. The fat PS3 overheats if you do not put that paste on the thing-a-majig.
 
I got a new PS3 just for GT6. The jury is still out on whether it was worth it.
 
It was worth it for me.
I own three consoles and three games :)
PS1 - GT2
PS2 - GT4
PS3 - GT6
 
All depends on your liquid budget. Presuming that like me you have to consider your purchases (why else would you be posting such a question?) then the PS3 will provide you with access to your present PS3 game stock, as well as GT6, assuming of course that you do want to play GT6.

The working theory is that the PS4-qualified version (GT7) will (theoretically) be released this year, if so, likely next Christmas. If you can wait, and if your budget isn't unlimited and is limited to one or the other, I'd say wait, even though I love GT6 and will love it even more when the missing coursemaker and community features are reincorporated later on this Spring (presumption being that they're both at least a month away, probably two by the silence from PD on release dates.)

Sony is supposed to be working on emulators for the PS4 to support previous consoles too, so that's a plus of the "wait for it" paradigm.

On the other hand, I believe PS3's will continue to have good resale value, so if you're "jonesin" for GT, then my advise is grab the PS3, play until it comes time, sell the PS3 for a small loss (call it beer money or "amortization " if you need to, then go buy a PS4 (price will probably be a tad lower anyway) and go from there.

Tough call, it's your money not mine.

EDIT: BTW, have you replaced the thermal transfer compound on the processor? I'm far from a playstation expert, but I've read quite a bit from people whose PS3 are dicey and the advise given to them. That's one of the first things suggested after a quick cleanup of the accumulated dust/muck
 
Last edited:
PS4 = money spent on all new games.
PS3 = use of games you already have as well as more games still coming out.

I don't want to spend money on all new games. I only play the Rock Band and Sports games in groups during holidays and some parties. Otherwise the old PS3 is only used for Netflix and youtube. (the new one is for GT6)

When a new GT game comes out for the PS4 I'll probably upgrade then.
 
True enough SmileyOr. It's pretty much how I see it for myself, but then my current PS3 is still working fine, as is yours apparently, unlike the OP, who said he has a PS3 that's not working properly, which makes it something of a dilemma, since GT7 may or may Not be released next Christmas. Waiting a year is one thing, but finding out that GT7 wouldn't be released until 2015 would be a real kick in the back if he gambles and buys the PS4 in hopes GT7 is released next Christmas.

Glad I don't have to make the decision. I just paid slightly under $1K for an operation on my pet, I think I have to buy a new water heater in the next week (had to re-light four times in the past three days and expect they'll say "nope can't be fixed, but we'll gladly in$tall a new one!"), and I just got done dropping a bucket of cash in the coffers of my county for property taxes. Ain't any cream left over for frivolous expenditures.:indiff:
 
Thanks a lot guys for your input. Btw if the single player mode is much like GT5, how is the online race and seasonals so far?
Also any idea on the thermal transfer thing mentioned? DIY? May give it a go if not complex.

I called sony service and they gonna charge 200 for repair which will wipe my data anyway. So if it's 329 for brand new vs 200 for repair here I'll rather get new one which comes with ds3 and warranty plus all new components.
 
I currently have a number of PS3 games yet un-played so when GT6 came out I looked at new PS3's to look at pricing. I figured I would purchase a new PS3 if my current one had issues because I still have enough gaming on the PS3 to make a new one a worthwhile purchase.

If however, I had only a couple of PS3 games, then I would purchase a PS4 and move on to the next generation of consoles. i would play Killzone and wait until GT7 launches.

i hope this perspective helps you.
 
Thanks a lot guys for your input. Btw if the single player mode is much like GT5, how is the online race and seasonals so far?
Also any idea on the thermal transfer thing mentioned? DIY? May give it a go if not complex.

I called sony service and they gonna charge 200 for repair which will wipe my data anyway. So if it's 329 for brand new vs 200 for repair here I'll rather get new one which comes with ds3 and warranty plus all new components.

The thermal transfer compound that helps heat escape the processor and release it to the heat sink (which is then carried away by the fan) dries out over time, compromising it's ability to effectively transfer heat from the processor to the heat sink, afaik especially on the early generation PS3s, but in general it's applicable to all devices using processors.

As far as the particulars for doing the fix on PS3s, I'm afraid you'll have to do a search in the forum, over at Sony's Gran Turismo forum, or on the wider net for detailed instruction. I haven't cracked opened my PS3 yet, so I can only give you the basic idea. Afaik, you open up the PS3, find the processor, remove the heat sink, clean off the old "goo", then apply a thin layer of fresh thermal transfer compound. Never quite that easy, now is it? ;)

Aspec? not all that different than GT5 imo. Some say it's easier, perhaps so, idk, I do know it's easier for me since I became so comfortable with this simulation during GT5. There are some new venues to learn and enjoy.

Seasonals have all been time trials so far, and I've enjoyed them immensely.

BTW, did a quick search for PS3s online and I think you can do far better than the ~$330 we paid three years ago for them.
 
All depends on your liquid budget.

Pretty much. I'd probably buy another PS3, but certainly not just for GT6. Partly because money's not really an issue (well it always is, but it's not like I'm a little kid having to save up his pocket money for ages to buy anything). Partly because there's still a small mountain of great (and cheap) PS3 games I've never even played. Hell, I've still got old PSX and PS2 games I need to get around to. I'd rather another PS3 for the time being, rather than spending more for the either of the newer consoles and sitting around wishing there were more decent games out.
 
I have two PS3s up & running... An old 80-gig fatty and a new 250-gig limited edition blue GameStop console. I've had no issues running GT6 on either one. In fact, most of my GT6 playing is on the old fatty. My Wife hogs the new one (which is in the living room) playing FFXIV online & LittleBig Planet.
 
No
 
No. I would just buy a P4 if you're able to afford it and enjoy other games for now until GT7 comes out.
 
Honestly, I bought GT6 because my PS3 is still working so it was not an issue at all, even if the game is not so improving from GT5 (its always cool having a fresh restart, a new interface, some events to discover, new momentum, ...). If my PS3 happen to die, I would rebuy a new one but not for GT6, just because I have plenty of PS3 games I don't want to loose.
But if it was just for GT6, I wouldn't buy a new PS3. Maybe a second hand and then I would resell it after completing the game, but not a new one.
I don't want to buy a PS4 either because it is only the first generation and I prefer to avoid troubles...
 
Initially I thought GT6 was for PS4 and ordered a PS4 (Pre-Order) since I loved GT5. It took me over 8 months to get tired of GT5.

Once I realized GT6 was for PS3 not PS4, I put my pPS4 purchase on ebay and made a cool $200 profit.

But now having GT6 for only a month or so, I am already tired of GT6

The question now is, should I get GT7 when its released and the PS4 to run the GT7 is the dilemma I have to face. If GT7 is modeled after GT6 with its micro transaction and its silly gimmicks making even getting the Bronze for the license preventing you to reach the "Super", I would neither get the GT7 nor the PS4

I do not play any other game.. Whelp! Maybe Ace combat..but Ace Combat messed up with its last two release so Ace Combat jumped the shark about 2 years prior to GT jumping the shark with its GT6.
 
Just an update.
I bought a new PS3. The perspective of being able to play my past games including the hard earned gt5 garage, GoW series, f1 and skyrim plus using it as blu ray player makes me decide to buy one. GT6 is like bonus. Unfortunately so far did not bring much new stuff compared to gt5.
 
Just repair the PS3. You can find people on Craigslist that can get that thing fixed for as low as $10, usually averaging $30/$40.
 
I say yes.

PS4 isn't worth it yet IMO.
 
I say yes.

PS4 isn't worth it yet IMO.

While the PS4 may not be worth it yet... Is it really worth buying a console that is soon to be obsolete?
 
Back