Is it wrong to block and bump other cars?

• Thread starter somefuka
  • 75 comments
what pisses me off the most is that sometimes i like make a mistake when im turning and then accidently hit the wall and then the 5 cars behind me start hitting me for 10 seconds and end up being last place.

i only make a cheap pass if i'm desperate ........but there are those times when you just want to have some fun with your opponents .......the way i see it, the AI cars don't try to hit you unless you hit them first ......otherwise they will only bump into the back of you if you're going too slow and they were closing too fast to make a emergency manouver .....

just my $0.52

This whot I do.

When ypu see a car bumping for a hairpin you put the pedal to the metal and take them off the track. You then drive off happily and say sorry didn't see you or did that hurt ? ;) fun when your doind a championship lapping cars!

Originally posted by secretghost007
what pisses me off the most is that sometimes i like make a mistake when im turning and then accidently hit the wall and then the 5 cars behind me start hitting me for 10 seconds and end up being last place.

Especially that "Opel Team Phoenix" in the Ama - DTW does that everytime !!! They come after you single file at an astonishing speed and if you happen to just "ping" a rock they simply paste you into the cliff hitting you one after another... Five cars at almost once and you are pounded into hamburger, ending up dead motherless last !!!!!! :mad:

Originally posted by Pako

I'm confused as to what you are trying to ask. :confused:  Don't we all know how to use our memory cards?  BTW, I have tried to flip my cars and the physics in the game just wont let me.  What a bummer.

i friggin' know! what a rip!

well, here's my 3 minutes.

a) I absoultely get furious with the computer cars! they 🤬 with me, so i bloody nail them!

2) on cote de azur, pro difficulty, drving a 787B, i nailed a Zonda Race Car at the chicayne (we all know where). he slammed into the barrier in front of him, and stayed there for the rest of the race, all three laps left!

d) There is no such thing as 'Overtuning' and 'Too fast'.

I think the sickest (and best) part of this whole thread is that we all get incredibly pissed off at a computer controlled object. So much so that we feel like we are getting them back when we spin them or get them stuck. Kind of strange how road rage works.

pit lane pushing is good and allowed and fun.

Blocking and pushing is normal.

They should have left the tire and axle damage optional like in GT2 and they made a big mistake not to do so, they didn't need any permissions for that and it was quite effective to destroy tires and axles through wall collisions SO pushing wouldn't hurt but driving too fast sure would, ergo, the other cars in the pack stay closer and provide more challenge and exciting push -block action.

You hear me PD! I want GT2 style damage in GT4!

Now just for the sake of it, somebody please disagree with me.

Let me do it for you, "GT3 is the greatest and you should take a hike".

Thanks

I've been known to push and shove a bit on the course. I find that on Series races, it helps to single out the top 2 contenders, and bump them off the tracks enough to get them into last place. I have a tendency to "help" distribute the points. Once the AI is sufficently bumped into the best position, I race the mad to get back to first place.
Doing this I've managed to quit after the 7th race, and still win the series.

AO

speaking of quiting races early....
i was doing one of the 10 race series and I had skipped the 6th raced the 7th and the 8th and really didn't want to have to race the last 2 (i think the 9th was Cote) so i did the usual, start race -> pause-> quit deal and didn't win. So then I go back and start the cote race, decide I don't feel like it and quit. Qhen I see the points standings on the last race I noticed something odd. I didn't have to race it to win, I was up by 13 instead of up by just a littl eunder ten like the first time. So, after some trial and error I found that when you have barely enough points t win you just need to let the race actually begin before you quit and you somehow get points. I don't know if anyone else has noticed this before but I thought it was pretty cool.

I too liked the damage factor in GT2, I'm with ya. (although I would want better A1 to go with it) I'd like to see visual damage, but if they can't get liscensed, they just can't I guess. I wonder if they could "bend" the axles, visually tho? What I mean by this is, you can see things like camber adjustment and such, I wonder if they could show a tire rubbing a fender, and so on? That might be kinda neat, and could be a way around the liscense problems, although I doubt it. GT2 damage also made 2p races pretty dang good. I am going to say it though, because even with its flaws, GT3 is the geatest! (some of my own words here) And you should go play GT2 before you go take a hike! :P
peace,

I call the art of bumping and pushing other cars in order to further your position 'ghetto tactics.' This means anything that would be considered unsportsmanlike in todays world of racing.

/Flip puts on his size 12 hiking boots:P

well I thought everybody missed the damage so much as me but obviously hammering those crapboxes off the walls is more fun, real driving simulator,
phooey :D

signed,
Grumpy Old Man

Originally posted by Ferrari_355
I call the art of bumping and pushing other cars in order to further your position 'ghetto tactics.' This means anything that would be considered unsportsmanlike in todays world of racing.

Hell is anything unsportsmanlike? Schuey trying to push Hill and Villeneuve out at Tokyo 2 years running? Senna, well just Senna really? No I think pretty much anything is acceptable IRL which doesn't endanger life so I can't see a problem with shoving AI cars whenever it leads to an advantage, espec. as they are so dim, stupid and slow at moving. When I race, I race myself not the AI because it is badly programmed.

Come on then 'GT3 is the best thing since sliced bread, dont diss it, ur wierd' I can see them coming now....

I'm talking about not just the little tap but the all out SHOVE making the car spin out in a turn or doing something extreme to make yourself win. I should've been more clear when I explained it first.

Y'now what happened eh! With the success of GT2 and all the media hype everybody got brainwashed and now that we spent so much money on a new PS2 and GT3 nobody wants to admit they got ripped off in a major way.

As long as we put up with accepting inferior products the programming will get worse, so there should be like an advertisement back to Sony where the car piles into the wall at 100mph then passes the pack again.

Nobody needs 500 cars, right, ITS THE SAME PROGRAMMING FOR EACH SLOT, BIG DEAL!
I'm sure I could fill 100 slots with GT3 cars I definitely dislike though. I don't really like low hp small cars, North American hangup.

No offense masonholmes, when people say, "GT3 is the greatest", they usually don't back up their opinion, and I don't know why they do like it other than the graphics. I suppose I have to get myself a new wheel to appreciate the physics.

No damage sucks,
Flip

Flip, I agree with the crash stuff. My roommate sometimes plays a little, a very little, and he wanted to take a few runs on the 2hr Rome enduro. I was too far ahead so i didn't mind. He found he could make it around the chicanes faster if he slammed into them at full throttle, then accelerated out of there. He was right, although his lap times weren't great because he isn't very experoenced I tried his method out and was shaving sometime 2 seconds of my time. I feel that the crash dynamics should be better, not just hit the wall and stop. I don't want a wall hit to incapacitate me but if i hit the corner of the bridge on smokey mountain ralley with the very leftmost peice of my front bumper I feel like the car should spin way out. Or If I hit a wall head on the car should look like it slams into it, the back end comes up, the car spins out, something.
As far as the physics go... That is why I love this game so much. When I first turned on GT3 and saw the intro and realized that those were in game shots I creamed my pants. But the graphics only help add to the simulation. I just recently started playing eith the sim tires in some of my cars. They are incredibley well modeled. They grip to a point and then they loose all grip, just like a real car. I wish I had the $99 dollars for the wheel so I could really appreciate the game but I do ok with the analog buttons on the PS2.
That is my reason for this being the greatest game (well, if gt2 had these graphics, or if gt3 had all the cars gt2 had)

As someone who played GT3 before ever getting GT2, I feel I'm in a good place to compare the two games. People who spend hour after hour on anything tend to get pissy when they have a new version come out that isn't like their beloved old time-eater so their views get a little clouded.

This is from the perspective of someone who played both within a few months of each other for the first time.

I absolutely despise the layout of GT2. Have to run all over the place with the poor PSX chugging along through every second just to go from manufacturer to manufacturer and from race to race and city to city and who knows where else. It's worse than most geocities websites for navigation. So GT3 wins hands-down when it comes to actually moving around the various parts of the game.

I really love the graphics of the PS2 compared to the PSX. This isn't really fair, but I can't put into words how much blocky pixels disrupt my enjoyment of a game. So, GT3 obliterates GT2 in graphics.

When it comes to using the controllers, again I prefer GT3. The steering in GT2 comes off a lot more jerky, even with analog controls. So again, kudos to GT3.

GT2 has more cars. Kudos to GT2.

GT2 has used cars. I actually find this a detriment. I don't want somebody's used piece of junk. I want my own! And who has a brand new 1960's anything in reality? Bah. I give GT3 the benefit here for making you get a new car.

GT2 has entry fees for some races... I actually like this. Kudos to GT2.

GT2 has damage... frankly, I don't know if I care about this or not. I'm not an amazing driver, but I'm generally good enough to keep from ramming my car into a wall at 200mph. With the aggressive AIs in both games, I can't say I enjoy the prospect of some random bit of code deciding to ram me and put my car out of the running. I could care less, but I'll call it a wash.

GT2 has the ability to slap racing mods on almost every car. I like this and I don't like this. Frankly, If I have to decide, I like the much better-looking race cars in GT3.

GT2 has old muscle cars. I'm an American and you'd expect me to say "Where's my heavy Detroit steel?" probably. You'd be wrong. I'd be happy to never see a car older than 1990. I'm all about computer systems and fuel-injection, so leave the old cars to rust as they will. Sure, some 1980's cars are okay, too. But I'd rather have the 1990's or later (2000's if *at* *all* possible) versions of those same cars (as applicable, of course).

GT2 has bugs. Whoa... don't like that at all. The worst bugs in GT3 will come from walls going invisible or "break outs" and won't directly screw up your cars. My version still reads torque as kg/m in the garage (it says lb/ft, but the numbers are in kg/m), but the cars aren't screwed up by it. Bugs are a big no-no. Gimme GT3.

So all things considered, GT2 has only two good points in my opinion and those are the wide variety of cars and entry fees. That's nice, but it doesn't even come close to the mountain of positives that GT3 brings to the table. The old game may've been fun to those who played it way back inna day, but it just doesn't match the competition.

Originally posted by bwdemon
GT2 has used cars. I actually find this a detriment. I don't want somebody's used piece of junk. I want my own! And who has a brand new 1960's anything in reality? Bah. I give GT3 the benefit here for making you get a new car.

GT2 has old muscle cars. I'm an American and you'd expect me to say "Where's my heavy Detroit steel?" probably. You'd be wrong. I'd be happy to never see a car older than 1990. I'm all about computer systems and fuel-injection, so leave the old cars to rust as they will. Sure, some 1980's cars are okay, too. But I'd rather have the 1990's or later (2000's if *at* *all* possible) versions of those same cars (as applicable, of course).
But thats the beauty of it! GT2 had such variety in its cars, from 80s model sports cars to 60s model muscle cars. Its a compliment to those who may enjoy taking an old car and tuning it up to be competitive to the current cars, or just simply be a means for comparison. Besides, you don't have to drive the cars if you don't want to.

If they do bring back the used cars in GT4, I hope they don't just have the cars at a reduced price in the dealership. I would like to see the cars have a random number of miles already logged on them and not in tip-top condition. They should also not have quite the amount of shine that a brand new car would have. It would be cool to have more maintenance features similar to the oil change, like worn brakes and parts that would need to be replaced over time as the car logs more and more miles on it.

Kudos to the last two posts!!!!! And Flip, have you sold GT3 yet? I'm sure you could get more than the 2 bux everybody offers me for ridge racer 5, LOL.

-now those posts are getting funky! A lot of good points bwdemon and higgimonster
-almost glad I didn't buy Ridge Racer 5 now.
-Nope, me no sellum game, I never said I hate it or did I?
-Going once, going twice, three dollars! To the dude in the cool threads.
-do you just wanna buy it to link up 2 PS2's?
-I just like GT2 more and one reason is my wheel is more compatible, what is the best wheel for $99.00, thats what, $500. Canadian dollars? ;)
-I don't play a lot of the muscle cars either but I would "cream in my pants"(?)
to race them with GT3 graphics. So I call that a minus for Gt3.
-used cars are alright, especially for a starting car and picking up cheap fixeruppers and GT2 is good for that. Thas a plus for GT2.
-My Series 9000 PSX never chugged more than in any other game and let me tell you about chuggalugging, MY PS2 sounds like a Harrier jet taking off, for crying out loud. I prefer the psx for noise from the console by far. I didn't see great increases in the speed that discs load on a PS2.
-I found the layout of GT3 oversimplistic, and sure, why not shrink everything to compact size, SINCE THERE'S LESS CARS, like a lot of the nice ones were left out of GT3 and by comparison of omitted models, too many of those small low hp cars are in gt3-.
-The graphics are good in ps2, and they should be for $500.
-I always use the wheel with proportional steering and pedals so GT2 didn't give me a problem with jerky steering
-"Real Driving Simulator",(or did they dispense with that title), at least damage is a must, it makes you be much more careful(and forces honesty)
Without it it is not a real game
-never saw a gt2 bug screw up my car, maybe you had the damage turned on without realizing it?
-The "competition", my young whippersnapper, in gt2 came from the matched HP races and that should have been in gt3, it was cool maxing the HP limit with part combinations, even going slightly over the allowed HP by 1 or 2 hp.
Like you got away with a close shave.
-racing mods, I miss you

So when I add up my points, I got gt3 graphics and everything else gt2.
what can I say, LOOHOO-HOOSER.

Originally posted by Pako
cutting them off into one of those rocks (we all know which ones) on Trial MT is absolutely the most gratifying experience when it comes to bumping cars.  I absolutely adore it.  :D

Either that or into the wall at the barriers at the end of Seatle Circuit. :D

Back