Is LMP1 Dead? Now Porsche Has Cancelled Its Program Too

Meanwhile, carmakers are creating hybrid supercars, like the McLaren P1, Porsche 918 and LaFerrari. Could we see a revival of the GT1 class?

I would LOVE to see the GT1 or LMGTP class come back (Highly doubtful though)

You're not going to see a GT1 Revival with this generation of supercars; 918 & P1 production is done along with the P1 GTRs, whilst Ferrari has now switched its production line onto getting the LaFerrari Apertas out and beginning the final evolution of the FXXK.

However, the sheer fact we have seen a steady increase of track-only supercars (Vulcan, FXXK, P1 GTR, Zonda R) in the last couple years coupled with the 3 upcoming supercars from McLaren, Mercedes, & Aston Martin, I could see there being more than enough manufacturer support to reshape these cars and/or the ideas behind them into top-class racing machines; they're already above par of the current GTs with unrestricted power & no rule book. Porsche could easily return back if the costs are easier than LMP-1 hybrids. Wonder if Ford would consider running the GT in a GT1 class, if the car is still being supported.

Probably wouldn't see Pagani out there (company has only so many hands-on-deck) & Ferrari only seems focused on Formula 1; they won't let a car capable of winning a top-class remain solely in the hands of privateers. Something would have to convince them they could build a competitive car & win on their own efforts.

You're not going to see a GT1 Revival with this generation of supercars; 918 & P1 production is done along with the P1 GTRs, whilst Ferrari has now switched its production line onto getting the LaFerrari Apertas out and beginning the final evolution of the FXXK.

However, the sheer fact we have seen a steady increase of track-only supercars (Vulcan, FXXK, P1 GTR, Zonda R) in the last couple years coupled with the 3 upcoming supercars from McLaren, Mercedes, & Aston Martin, I could see there being more than enough manufacturer support to reshape these cars and/or the ideas behind them into top-class racing machines; they're already above par of the current GTs with unrestricted power & no rule book. Porsche could easily return back if the costs are easier than LMP-1 hybrids.

Probably wouldn't see Pagani out there (company has only so many hands-on-deck) & Ferrari only seems focused on Formula 1; they won't let a car capable of winning a top-class remain solely in the hands of privateers. Something would have to convince them they could build a competitive car & win on their own efforts.
Building off that idea they should create a series allowing those certain track day cars to have their own race series/inclusion. Say calling it Track Day Endurance (TDE). Just an example lol. But basically have cars like the P1 GTR, FXX K, Vulcan, Aston Martin Valkyrie, Apollo N, (hopefully lamborghini cooks up some hypercar with possible hybrid power)etc.. and race them in a separate series with their own rules of course and see how they do. Maybe one day include them with GT cars...just an idea.

Building off that idea they should create a series allowing those certain track day cars to have their own race series/inclusion. Say calling it Track Day Endurance (TDE). Just an example lol. But basically have cars like the P1 GTR, FXX K, Vulcan, Aston Martin Valkyrie, Apollo N, (hopefully lamborghini cooks up some hypercar with possible hybrid power)etc.. and race them in a separate series with their own rules of course and see how they do. Maybe one day include them with GT cars...just an idea.
It would be interesting, but the issue is seeing if the cars can compete with each other, primarily the Ferrari. Lap times are all nearly non-existent, and you run into an issue of not knowing whose behind the wheel. You'd probably have to introduce limiters, but then they still all have varying degrees of tech in them. I don't know how you get around that.

The FXXK, according to 2 of their owners, is incredibly easy to drive full on; the technology in it to aid the drivers is second to none compared to the FXX. And if what I've read from those with experience, the FXXK is a superior car to almost any of these track monsters just because of the development, time, & money Ferrari pours into it. All its technology is also heavily restricted from being seen, so it's unlikely Ferrari has any interest in changing anything. It's also getting ready to undergo the Evoluzione phase, so it's going to get another boost of performance.

But, it's hearsay. I've only read a couple of experiences about the P1 GTR, and virtually nothing about the Vulcans. Valkyrie info is still restricted from those who have seen it, and know about it.

They all fit the same mold, but approached differently. Add in that the manufacturers are typically taking care of these cars & setting them up for owners, so it seems unlikely that we'll ever get more than 2 in 1 spot since the cars are brought out for events the manufacturers put together. Personally, I've only seen 1 video of a track day from a Ferrari road car that showed a FXXK & a P1 GTR passing it. I'll have to see if I can find it; was a charity event.

Last edited:
I feel sick. As a Sportscar fan I feel that the ACO is got it's back to the wall on this one. It is not yet Checkmate but it is a very hard Check position they must get out of in this game of Chess. I am not technically minded. You won't find me talking about engines and setups. You won't find me talking about what is feasible as a next move to keep the premier class in the WEC going. But even so someone who views motorsport with my eyes can see the corner the ACO are in as many alluded to on Page 1 with regard to the issues and problems with the various classes as the top overall category or why introducing the DPi is so bad for the WEC.

But what would the WEC be like if LMP2 was the top overall class if LMP3 cars were brought in? That is the only thing that hasn't been suggested. I have a feeling about the reasons why that is such a bad idea but please humour me.

But what would the WEC be like if LMP2 was the top overall class if LMP3 cars were brought in? That is the only thing that hasn't been suggested.
It was something we hinted at in the article:
Perhaps the time is right to rethink the LMP categories. Last year’s LMP2 cars were faster on the straights of Le Mans than the LMP1s, and lapped as fast as 2012’s top tier. The low cost LMP3 category now sits behind it.

Back