Is Porsche Pushing Ruf Out of Racing Games?

I don't see the problem myself. Ruf offers models that are quite different from anything Porsche offers, usually a bit more hard-edged and characterful. Not that I dislike Porsches.

If Porsche are stipulating "them or us", then they clearly haven't learned a thing from this exclusivity nonsense. "We never thought they would get so popular". No point crying about it and punishing Ruf as well as us punters for Porsche's mistake!

Meh, only reason I cared about Ruf in games was to make up for the lack of Porsche. But I don't see any reason why they can't still exist in games alongside Porsche unless there is some sort of agreement that doesn't allow them in the games. That or developers feeling that there is no real need to include them anymore? Who knows.

They have the CTR Yellowbird, but what else? I think Ruf wouldn't be so famous without the Porsche exclusivity. They may be recognized as a separate brand, but for me, they're just modified Porsches.
ruf-ctr3.JPG

As you wish, but perhaps you could tell me which Porsche was modified by Ruf to make the car pictured.
997-gen Porsche 911. Just because the rear is different doesn't make it less "Porschey" than any other Ruf. After all, it wouldn't have that iconic front end if Porsche had never made it.
If we can have both brands in every game, that's fine! If not, I prefer the original ones.

997-gen Porsche 911.
Nope.
Just because the rear is different doesn't make it less "Porschey" than any other Ruf.
It's slightly more than different... The CTR3 is mid-engined!

While the CTR3 uses some Porsche parts - some exterior panels, the basis of the engine and a chunk of the front assembly - it's a unique chassis and body (and rear subframe) and not modified from any Porsche.

Everything aft of the A-Pillars is bespoke:

ruf-ctr3-clubsport-03.jpg

There's no Cayman or 911 in there.
Then make the whole freaking car! Why do they have to keep the original Porsche headlights?
Even now, they did a newer version of the original CTR without using any Porsche parts. I think it would be much better if they made a completely new car, with their own identity. If they even have one.

Then make the whole freaking car! Why do they have to keep the original Porsche headlights?
Because it turns out making a clean sheet car is hard when you're a small manufacturer without a lot of money to spend, so they utilized the front third of the 997 GT3 RS to make it easier on themselves.

Which, incidentally and infamously, is the very same development process that led to this about a decade earlier:
96-04-porsche-boxster-986-front-view

1444916045-996sized.jpg

Except the CTR3 doesn't share as much with the 997 GT3 donor chassis design as those two did with each other.

For the same reason Lamborghini used Nissan 300ZX headlights. For the same reason the McLaren F1 has tail lights from a Bova Futura coach. For the same reason that Pagani opted to use the entire climate control interface from a Rover 45...

Presumably they all escape your 'they're just modified' labels?

Oh well. I knew there would be people here saying they would prefer RUF over Porsche... i'm always trying to respect other peoples opinions, but this is simply beyond me. After all, there would be no RUF without Porsche. The new CTR from RUF is simply a copy of Porsche retro design, if this car would have been build in China, people would go nuts. RUF has never ever build their own car from scratch, except the CTR3, but even that car has many Porsche parts.

RUF is interesting in its own right, of course. But i think RUF has always been a Porsche tuner which labels itself as a car manufacturer. You can't compare RUF to the mighty Porsche brand with its incredible history of both road cars and motorsport.

Videogame developers never took full advantage of the RUF license, tough. I really wanted to see the CTR3 and the fantastic RT35 in Forza Motorsport, Horizon, Gran Turismo, AC or some other good game, but they never showed up. Now we have all kinds of the latest Porsche models in the biggest racing games... i guess there really is no point in giving RUF much attention.

For the same reason Lamborghini used Nissan 300ZX headlights. For the same reason the McLaren F1 has tail lights from a Bova Futura coach. For the same reason that Pagani opted to use the entire climate control interface from a Rover 45...

Presumably they all escape your 'they're just modified' labels?
As far as I know, there's no obvious resemblance between a Nissan and a Lamborghini. Neither between a McLaren F1 and a Bova Futura. Neither between Paganis and Rovers. But most Rufs resemble Porsches. That's my whole point. For me they're not different to 9ff, Bowler, Gemballa, Alpina, or even the Hennessey Venom.

But most Rufs resemble Porsches. That's my whole point.
Then your whole point has changed from 'they're just modified Porsches'.
They may be recognized as a separate brand, but for me, they're just modified Porsches.
It looks rather like that CTR3 - which isn't a tuned Porsche - has forced you to find another justification for dismissing the brand so that you can dismiss the brand.

And if you're going to dismiss any vehicle that resembles another, you're going to have a long old list.

Then your whole point has changed from 'they're just modified Porsches'.

It looks rather like that CTR3 - which isn't a tuned Porsche - has forced you to find another justification for dismissing the brand so that you can dismiss the brand.

And if you're going to dismiss any vehicle that resembles another, you're going to have a long old list.
My point hasn't changed at all. I still think they're tuned Porsches.
Does the CTR3 looks like Porsches, even if it has a completely different rear? IMO it does.
Does the "new old" CTR looks like a Porsche, even if it doesn't have Porsche parts? Yes.
So, even if in fact they're not tuned Porsches, they have enough resemblance to look like they are.
So for me they're tuned Porsches (even if they're not) and have no identity.

I feel sad for Ruf that they have in their own right have done a service to folks who buy their cars, they may look like Porsche's but due to so many changes they are their own cars and only "look" like Porsche they were derived from. I hope that Alois Jr. really starts making more cars like the CTR3 until they have something that looks nothing like Porsche at all. Porsche for lack of a better word are jerks, plain and simple they can't legally do anything about Ruf so they attempt to diminish their presence in games by stipulating that Ruf cannot be in games where Porsche's are featured. Give it a few years and things may change to where Porsche won't have the same exclusivity which forced it to be bespoke and it's readily available and Porsche will lose it's vaunted ability to play with developers trying to make car games that allows cars to be available regardless of who made them and who doesn't like them.
One thing about business is this is a fair practice and tactic, while it might be unethical and skirt such things. Morally it's still sort of a bad thing to do to someone trying to make a living and still putting in work on a vehicle that passes standards to allow it to be purchasable and driveable on public roads. Porsche are in the drivers seat right now, but won't remain there once everyone is used to having their cars in games, Ruf just needs to hold out or the industry itself of game development come together and admonish Porsche for playing heavy handed tactics against Ruf. VW/Audi need to keep on good terms with the world at large, so Porsche up to shenanigans can spark some trouble they'd have to give them a stern eye.

Oh well. I knew there would be people here saying they would prefer RUF over Porsche... i'm always trying to respect other peoples opinions, but this is simply beyond me. After all, there would be no RUF without Porsche. The new CTR from RUF is simply a copy of Porsche retro design, if this car would have been build in China, people would go nuts. RUF has never ever build their own car from scratch, except the CTR3, but even that car has many Porsche parts.

RUF is interesting in its own right, of course. But i think RUF has always been a Porsche tuner which labels itself as a car manufacturer. You can't compare RUF to the mighty Porsche brand with its incredible history of both road cars and motorsport.

I personally see no issue in comparing RUF with Porsche, after all RUF have quite a decent history to them (granted it's not as expansive as Porsche, but no less spectacular IMO). And I see no issue in preferring RUF to Porsche, since RUF are a independent manufacturer in their own right as far as I'm concerned. Yes they do work as "tuner" company too, aside from their manufacturing business, as they can create unique RUF conversions on many Porsche's too.

After all, RUF's creations are so much more than just "tuned Porsche's", as they're unique bespoke creations. Just because they're visually very similar to Porsche's, does not immediately mean they are the same, or just "upgraded Porsche's. And the CTR3 only shares a couple of body panels and the basis of the engine, with Porsche. The rest has been built on a unique RUF platform. And that has been very much the same story with all their creations.

To be honest, as much as I respect your view, I think it's a little far-fetched to call to the new CTR a "copy of Porsche retro design", as it's RUF first car solely made by themselves, with not a single part being borrowed or taken from a Porsche I believe. Yes it may look like a Porsche, but that's because it's a homage to the original "Yellow Bird", which just so happened to be loosely based on an 930 Porsche at the time

Aside from that, I'd be very annoyed if RUF were phased out racing games because of Porsche's dissatisfaction at their inclusion in the same games as them. That'd be a bit of a dick move IMO, as RUF have given a lot this genre, and there's no reason RUF and Porsche can't co-exist together in a game. Yes it's great that the exclusivity deal has ended, as it means Porsche can be included in all game s now, but doesn't mean they get special treatment any more so than another car company, hence why I'd be annoyed if RUF disappeared because Porsche says so.

Apologies, I didn't expect that to be so wordy :lol:

Aside from that, I'd be very annoyed if RUF were phased out racing games because of Porsche's dissatisfaction at their inclusion in the same games as them. That'd be a bit of a dick move IMO, as RUF have given a lot this genre, and there's no reason RUF and Porsche can't co-exist together in a game. Yes it's great that the exclusivity deal has ended, as it means Porsche can be included in all game s now, but doesn't mean they get special treatment any more so than another car
Apologies, I didn't expect that to be so wordy :lol:

I cant imagine that being the case. I think for Porsche, RUF is first and foremost a customer. They are no rivals at all. You know, im living rather near the Nürburgring and i have seen all kinds of Supercars there, Porsche, Ferrari, Mclaren and Lambo. I have never seen a RUF though. RUF is an ultra-exotic manufacturer and no threat for Porsche in any way. They wouldnt even steal Porsches spot light in the game. I dont believe Porsche is the problem here. I would rather think the game developers are. They can have the real Porsches now and propably think they dont need RUF anymore.

I personally would like to have both.

But if the whole "It's either us or them" Is true then I can see why Porsche will win out every time. They are the more known manufacturer and saying "We have Porsches in our game" Is more a selling point than saying "We have Rufs in our game".

It would be nice to at least keep the Yellowbird in games at least.

I can't recall where I read it, but wasn't there a grumble from Porsche that RUF allowed PCars to make a fictional GT3 spec racer from the RT35?

VXR
I can't recall where I read it, but wasn't there a grumble from Porsche that RUF allowed PCars to make a fictional GT3 spec racer from the RT35?

Wasn't just PCars either. Raceroom has some blatant copies of Porsche's labeled as RUF's or otherwise. To the point where one of the Raceroom RUF GT2's has a flying lizard livery. So in some ways I'm not surprised Porsche has taken issue to including RUF in racing games, though ironically the reason for doing that no longer applies. That said if Porsche is now licensing to everyone I don't understand why they'd take issue to it when they didn't before.

The new Yellowbird is built completely in-house & the CTR3, as @Famine pointed out, shares the GT3 RS' front frame, has Porsche doors & hood, and... that's it. The rest of the bodywork, fenders included, are RUF produced. The seats have been re-tailored by RUF. The motor may be sourced from Porsche, but like all RUFs before it (& I've seen this first hand when RUF had a dealer here in Dallas), the motors are torn down and rebuilt & tuned using RUF produced/sourced components. Those motors are hardly Porsche anymore once they're built to start pushing 500-600Hp out of them.

I can't believe people would still think RUF is simply just a Porsche tuner after the years of information surrounding the company, how with each generation, they share less & less in common with Porsche besides a bare chassis. This is a "tuner" that built its own V8 & put in a 911 frame, only used 1/3rd of a 911 for a supercar, and now, has a 700Bhp car that has no Porsche parts in it.

I can't believe people would still think RUF is simply just a Porsche tuner....this is a "tuner" that built its own V8 & put in a 911 frame, only used 1/3rd of a 911 for a supercar, and now, has a 700Bhp car that has no Porsche parts in it.

I like to think of them more as a "re-imaginer" :D

Most people will always consider Ruf as a placeholder. You can't blame them for that. Even game developers think like that. After all, no EA game has ever had a Ruf. And what was the first Forza game to have Ruf? Forza 4, which, "coincidentally", was the first one that didn't have Porsche at launch.
"Oh, but the CTR3..." The CTR3 is an exception. And even that car looks like a tuned Porsche, as do every other model Ruf has made. So I couldn't care less about the brand. If we can have both, great! If we need to choose, I know what I'll want.

Back