Is Porsche Pushing Ruf Out of Racing Games?

Most people will always consider Ruf as a placeholder. You can't blame them for that. Even game developers think like that. After all, no EA game has ever had a Ruf. And what was the first Forza game to have Ruf? Forza 4, which, "coincidentally", was the first one that didn't have Porsche at launch.
"Oh, but the CTR3..." The CTR3 is an exception. And even that car looks like a tuned Porsche, as do every other model Ruf has made. So I couldn't care less about the brand. If we can have both, great! If we need to choose, I know what I'll want.

Sure you can blame them, because just like you, they rather be right, then acknowledge that you no idea. If people are unwilling to educate themselves on the difference then it probably doesn't matter all that much which manufacture or both are in the game, because you don't know any better, or any for that matter. The only reason people want Porsche so bad most times, is because it's a coveted famous name, on level with other big notable names like Ferrari, Jaguar, Lamborghini and so on.

Sure you can blame them, because just like you, they rather be right, then acknowledge that you no idea. If people are unwilling to educate themselves on the difference then it probably doesn't matter all that much which manufacture or both are in the game, because you don't know any better, or any for that matter. The only reason people want Porsche so bad most times, is because it's a coveted famous name, on level with other big notable names like Ferrari, Jaguar, Lamborghini and so on.
  • You see more Porsches than Rufs, both in TV and in real life.
  • Porsche's lineup is more comprehensive than Ruf's.
  • Porsche is the most successful brand in motorsport history. Ruf has no motorsport history whatsoever.
It's not just a coveted famous name.

I feel sad for Ruf that they have in their own right have done a service to folks who buy their cars, they may look like Porsche's but due to so many changes they are their own cars and only "look" like Porsche they were derived from. I hope that Alois Jr. really starts making more cars like the CTR3 until they have something that looks nothing like Porsche at all. Porsche for lack of a better word are jerks, plain and simple they can't legally do anything about Ruf so they attempt to diminish their presence in games by stipulating that Ruf cannot be in games where Porsche's are featured. Give it a few years and things may change to where Porsche won't have the same exclusivity which forced it to be bespoke and it's readily available and Porsche will lose it's vaunted ability to play with developers trying to make car games that allows cars to be available regardless of who made them and who doesn't like them.

Is there even any official confirmation of this or simply rumors? I honestly think this whole idea is people completely taking what was said out of context as well as Porshe finally being available to all games (And people's still continuing ignorance of Ruf AS an actual Manufacterer and not "Just another Porsche Tuner").

• You see more Porsches than Rufs, both in TV and in real life.
Okay what does that have to do with the point of my post you clearly missed? And the reason it's seen on TV and such more is cause it's famous, wow good job proving the other part of my point, being popularity as a factor.
  • Porsche's lineup is more comprehensive than Ruf's.
In what sense? Other than not having an SUV or a sedan-shooting brake-coupe thing. It's pretty on par with Porsche.
  • Porsche is the most successful brand in motorsport history. Ruf has no motorsport history whatsoever.
Yes but to the average player who plays to just race cars and have fun, they probably have no clue, nor does it do anything with my point. To the conversation you had been having.

It's not just a coveted famous name.

To an every day person you pull of the street and ask them to name a brand of sport cars it is. If you think the the majority of the players who play this game are die hard car guys like some of us, then you're quite optimistic.

Is there even any official confirmation of this or simply rumors? I honestly think this whole idea is people completely taking what was said out of context as well as Porshe finally being available to all games (And people's still continuing ignorance of Ruf AS an actual Manufacterer and not "Just another Porsche Tuner").

Just circumstantial evidence, because no upcoming title has Ruf as a brand to their name. However, I don't consider this solid yet, due to everyone wanting to secure Porsche out of it being unattainable for so long.

Last edited:
Okay what does that have to do with the point of my post you clearly missed?
Weren't you trying to prove that people don't really care which brand show up in games? I was trying to prove that even people that are not into cars know Porsche better than Ruf, because of those reasons I pointed.
In what sense? Other than not having an SUV or a sedan-shooting brake-coupe thing. It's pretty on par with Porsche.
Not only that, but also regarding historical models and racing cars.

Weren't you trying to prove that people don't really care which brand show up in games? I was trying to prove that even people that are not into cars, you know Porsche better than Ruf, because of those reasons I pointed.

I did, since even people that supposedly like cars don't have a clue about Ruf which is why it's disposable when Porsche is available. What my main point was, is that people only know certain brands due to popularity and name alone, they don't need to know what you suggested to know they're important, and most don't.

Not only that, but also regarding historical models and racing cars.

Which as stated will most likely not appear in this game given the info we have. So until proven otherwise why bring it up??? Other than to move the goal post and have a hopeful leg.

I did, since even people that supposedly like cars don't have a clue about Ruf which is why it's disposable when Porsche is available. What my main point was, is that people only know certain brands due to popularity and name alone, they don't need to know what you suggested to know they're important, and most don't.
Oh, now I got it. Agreed. :)
Which as stated will most likely not appear in this game given the info we have. So until proven otherwise why bring it up??? Other than to move the goal post and have a hopeful leg.
Isn't this thread about racing games in general, not only GT Sport? :confused:

Not at all, I wrote it wrongly as I was hurried and didn't put all what I was thinking into words, I meant to say if that was true then Porsche etc. That was definitely my mistake.

Your argument would serve better if you didn't continue to show a little ignorance to the brand in every post.

RUF finished 2nd & 4th overall in the 1997 Pikes Peak event, and to show the build quality of both cars, they were driven to & from the course on the street, completely legalized. The car would win 20 other events of similar nature.
vc97big_two_rufs.jpg

Steve Beddor to this day, still takes this infamous car out to historical/grassroot events where it definitely holds its own against other Porsche race cars of its era.

Alois Jr., much like Ferruccio Lamborghini, doesn't have much interest in motorsport racing. It's also an expensive feat the company doesn't really have the financial backing for, and possibly, may have their hands tied from even thinking about using a race car that might need a Porsche-sourced body (esp. when Porsche states every 911, road or race, share the same chassis line).

Your argument would serve better if you didn't continue to show a little ignorance to the brand in every post.

RUF finished 2nd & 4th overall in the 1997 Pikes Peak event, and to show the build quality of both cars, they were driven to & from the course on the street, completely legalized. The car would win 20 other events of similar nature.
vc97big_two_rufs.jpg

Steve Beddor to this day, still takes this infamous car out to historical/grassroot events where it definitely holds its own against other Porsche race cars of its era.

Alois Jr., much like Ferruccio Lamborghini, doesn't have much interest in motorsport racing. It's also an expensive feat the company doesn't really have the financial backing for, and possibly, may have their hands tied from even thinking about using a race car that might need a Porsche-sourced body (esp. when Porsche states every 911, road or race, share the same chassis line).
Then I stand corrected.
But that doesn't change my opinion that game devs see Rufs as placeholders because they look like tuned Porsches.

But that doesn't change my opinion that game devs see Rufs as placeholders because they look like tuned Porsches.
If you wanted anything that was remotely similar to Porsche without being able to license actual Porsche, then yes, Ruf can be a placeholder. But who knows? I wonder... if EA never had an exclusive deal for the past 20 years, how many games would have featured Ruf at all?

But I don't think it's fair to say they are interchangeable brands. The Ruf cars are similar and good enough to be a substitute, maybe, but they're different cars and should be treated as such and made available alongside Porsche in games.

Oh, now I got it. Agreed. :)

Isn't this thread about racing games in general, not only GT Sport? :confused:

I was speaking in relation to GTSport. While the thread is all car games, sure there is historical models that are of value to car people. Hardly known by the general populous without a web search. I doubt most people know of the 911 GT1 or even the current 919. Forget about successful but under appreciated variants.

Then I stand corrected.

Devs may see it that way because of the general buyer. I highly doubt guys like Ian Bell or Kaz or T10 have the same perception of the brand. My worry is many of them will opt to not include it because it will confuse people who are unwilling to understand the difference between the two, even if it is explained in game to them.

Last edited:
Long time GT player but now currently on Forza...

RUF being so overlooked is sad to be quite frank. Porsche inclusion is great, especially on Forza with a nice variety of models throughout the years (this could still be improved).

However it does seem to indeed have pushed RUF out the back door as a result, which isn't fair on legendary RUF's like the Yellowbird and CTR2 to name a few.

@GTPLANET writer of the article - Project Gotham Racing deserves a mention for the inclusion of RUF over the years, notably from PGR3/4 (from memory) - great games and RUF's were awesome on those releases.

If you wanted anything that was remotely similar to Porsche without being able to license actual Porsche, then yes, Ruf can be a placeholder. But who knows? I wonder... if EA never had an exclusive deal for the past 20 years, how many games would have featured Ruf at all?

But I don't think it's fair to say they are interchangeable brands. The Ruf cars are similar and good enough to be a substitute, maybe, but they're different cars and should be treated as such and made available alongside Porsche in games.

But is Ruf is good enough to take a spot from brands like McLaren or Bugatti? With a limit to the number of cars that can be added to a game it's a competition to get included. The "looks like Porsche" factor was a benefit to Ruf in that competition so it's inevitable that it will be harder for them now that this factor is out of the equation.

What will be of RUF?

All the currently upcoming racing games are lacking RUF in their trailers. Is it possible that RUF might just be flat-out replaced by Porsche in these upcoming games and sequels?
Most likely case scenario is that they're instantly becoming irrelevant because of it, which is unfortunate considering that Ruf has cool cars such as the CTR3 and the Yellowbird. Hoping that at least some game keeps Ruf in.

Asphalt 8 recently delisted the Rufs and two other Porsche derivatives (9FF GT9 and Rinspeed zaZen) in its recent update that added Porsches. They did gave away those in events before the update though.

Consider that. :irked:

I love Ruf!
The Yellowbird is an iconic car.

Porsche is not pushing anyone out or Racing Games.
Ruf & Porsche are two different companies anyway.

Kinda agree bro, actually for such a long time, Ruf does promote the Porsche vehicle and sometimes boost their sales, although most of the games wasn't name as Porsche. But i need to point up somethings, even tough we might seeing less ruf car in games, but after a few years it might appear again base on gamer request, so its never a big problem to Ruf. Thus Ruf is done very well without them (game license). Ruf and Porsche is a brother and sister company, Ruf using a lot of their part , tuning and build a brand new Ruf car or rebuild a Porsche. So maybe Porsche is order Ruf to let it go the games license awhile and its time to gave Porsche a "great sunshine" to games license after the ridiculous long EA agreement. So for me its ok, but as a fans of assetto corsa and Ruf , im keen to see they release a RUF CTR 3 DLC for us to purchase, i will be one of the first buyer to buy it ;)

Anyway thanks for reading and enjoy racing sims :cheers: Cheers :gtpflag:

Back