Is simvibe worth it?

• Thread starter snoopybg
  • 59 comments
snoopybgsf
I got my Buttkicker Gamer 2 yesterday and have been testing it with with GT6. It is cool, but I can't help wondering how much better it would be in a PC sim with simvibe to control the kicker.
While I hate gaming on the PC it is really tempting with assetto corsa and project cars both coming this year, combined with the possibilities simvibe offers.

Is it worth it the $90? Is it 90 bucks better than the feeling you get with BKG2 in GT6?

It is a shame there is no trial or demo to test it(I spent half a day trying to run the trial you get from their website until I realized it doesn't work until you actually buy it).

Yesterday I tried AC with the kicker in subwoofer mode and it was much worse than GT6. I guess the terrible sound of GT6 is good for a buttkicker.
There's also Xsim, but I'd rather pay for simvibe than have to get a degree in robotics to be able to set it up.

The sound in AC is not very good though it may actually be worse then GT6. Also for simvibe don´t you want several bass shakers to get the most of it? I would think it would be worse it especially for AC as I get no road feel through the wheel to compensate a bit for lack of G-forces.

If I didn´t had neighbours I would already have a simvibe solution.

The sound in AC is not very good though it may actually be worse then GT6.
You clearly must be joking.

I would think it would be worse it especially for AC as I get no road feel through the wheel to compensate a bit for lack of G-forces.

Maybe you should change your FFB settings. At first they only had effects that you feel through wheel in a real car. As people wanted, they added more FFB settings like kerbs and other that you may dial yourself.

The sound in AC is not very good though it may actually be worse then GT6. Also for simvibe don´t you want several bass shakers to get the most of it? I would think it would be worse it especially for AC as I get no road feel through the wheel to compensate a bit for lack of G-forces.

If I didn´t had neighbors I would already have a simvibe solution.

I was worried about sound and just picked up an Aura pro shaker last week (to go with a 100 watt Dayton amp). Went with the 100 watt amp because the threads here warned of going too low on amp power. Good thing I have a kill-a-watt meter, because the shaker can vastly exceed 50 watts without any knocking noises. Without the kill-a-watt letting me visually select 50 watts as the limit, I could go much higher without noise worries.

Either way, at least in my floating hideaway rig (mounted on caster wheels) it really reverberates and doesn't make any sounds that would annoy. Even cranking the wattage into the 80s didn't have bothersome noise, but it'd clearly destroy the life of the aura shakers running it that high.

Anyways, I bought the aura because Berney of Simvibe posted results where he compared all the major shakers and concluded the aura shakers were, without question, the quietest solution. And they are that (assuming you're not doing anything crazy with wattage... which would kill them if you drove them at insane wattage anyways). I don't think they'd be a problem unless, maybe, you were in an apartment and the flooring was made out of wood (with neighbors below you).

Because of the way my rig is designed/built, waves reverberate throughout my rig (instead of getting eaten by the ground). So I'd already had pretty good tactile response just from the FFB emanating throughout my rig. The single shaker is a lot more powerful than I thought it would be. It's also why I ditched the idea of chassis. Aside from being put off by the price, I figured waves can transfer too easily in my cockpit and it'd all get muddied together by the time it reached my seat.

Still haven't decided whether I'm going to install Simvibe. It's going to double the price. Plus I still don't think I have my audio drivers optimized, so I think I can do even better with sound only. On the fence at the moment.

Simvibe is on a different level than sound based tactical. Its like listening to music through a megaphone compared to a live concert. I never used the vibration function on the CSW until simvibe, never thought the vibrations matched up very well with the sound vibrations, now it matches perfect. Probably my favorite effect is the gear shift "kick", I set all the other volume levels to it :D. As far as value, I rate simvibe right up there with triple screens. Maybe even a bit higher. It really does add a lot of emersion to simracing.

You clearly must be joking.

Maybe you should change your FFB settings. At first they only had effects that you feel through wheel in a real car. As people wanted, they added more FFB settings like kerbs and other that you may dial yourself.
I am not one of the Assetta Corsa fanboys that see no wrong on these alpha builds so no I am not joking... Game stock car and rFactor 2 for example have much better less synthesized sound.

I do run decent audio equipment that do show the difference in quality...

As for FFB yes I have played with the settings. I don´t mind kerb effects etc but yes I do want to get some information about the grip levels and road because I can´t use G-forces for that like IRL.

Ok, I did it. Just couldn't help it. Aaaaaand in the long run, given we have project cars coming up I can justify the investment (I do think a software solution like that should cost not more than $30-40 though).
It takes some setting up, but it feels like a different system all together. The gear shift kick is great, the rpm rumble is clearer, the curbs shake you like they should.
Comparing it to GT6 with subwoofer mode I wouldn't say it is a must have. If you are going to play PC sims, then you really need it.

After having some fun for awhile go back and start fine tunning the effets. There are more that can be added than whats given at default. Also fine tunning adjustments for each effect. I turn only one effect on at a time and set the levels that way.

I have no defaults for some reason, so I had to manually add the effects and configure them. The assetto plugin leaves room for work though. The wind effect doesn't work for example.

It's well worth theoney if you have it to spend. It's completely different than using just a buttkicker. It works off of the actuall suspension movement and road textures if the car. It doesn't work by sound produced by the game.

I used it with a single buttkicker gamer for a couple months and it worked well. I ended up buying 2 buttkicker simvibe editions and it made it even better. One does work well though.

One thing about simvibe though is that it differs from setup to setup so a lot of how great it performs is up to you mounting your stuff right and taking time to adjust settings inside the simvibe software.

If you like tinkering though it's actually pretty fun testing different settings and getting it exactly how you want it.

If you have a buttkicker and race on PC it should be a no brainer. It really does make the shakers perform how you thought they should all along.

I should add that I only have ever used my shakers with 2 games. GT4 which was terrible with it with just sound and iracing with simvibe. It works amazing with iracing.

Last edited:
It is a shame there is no trial or demo to test it(I spent half a day trying to run the trial you get from their website until I realized it doesn't work until you actually buy it).

Can you tell me what exactly did not work? Did you have problems installing SimVibe, or did you have problems sending signals to the transducers while SimVibe was running in trial mode?
I'm curious because I would like to try the software first too before buying it.

Can you tell me what exactly did not work? Did you have problems installing SimVibe, or did you have problems sending signals to the transducers while SimVibe was running in trial mode?
I'm curious because I would like to try the software first too before buying it.

It doesn't connect to a soundcard. You can't use it at all. I have no idea why there is an evaluation mode when you can't evaluate anything.

Basically simvibe is VERY good, but it depends on the plugins for every game what you can get as data from the telemetry. For instance there is no separate front/rear suspension output for assetto corsa (yet), while having a plugin for a game still in early beta is amazing.

So the 'trial' message at startup is misleading.
If I don't like SimVibe I can sell my amp and shaker again, but the $89 for SimVibe is down the drain.

If I don't like SimVibe I can sell my amp and shaker again, but the $89 for SimVibe is down the drain.

Hm, there is an uninstall button for the license which I guess is to be used when transfering to a new PC, but you can just as easily sell the license code to someone.
My guess is you won't be looking to sell, it though.

Ok, I just installed the same license on my other PC.I don't know what that means. Actually they are behind the same router so maybe that is why it could happen.

I just want to point out that you DON'T need a second audio card if you have a even remotely modern video card. The HDMI output supports audio, and you can easily use that to output 2 channels (left and right). Just connect the HDMI ot a monitor or TV and get the signal out of the phone jacks of the TV/monitor.

I have 3 BKG2 and I use SimVibe with rFactor 2 and now I can't race without SimVibe....simply great software and the immersion is just:drool:

If you don't like it, sell it to someone else. I purchased a code for $50 from somebody who received it with their full-motion setup. Well worth every penny. Transducers are good on their own for general gaming, but for PC racing software control is absolutely essential. It's a 100% improvement being able to modulate vibration to telemetry. No contest.

I am also in the same dilemma.
I have one bkg2 and i think that simvibe will be awesome but is too expensive. 89 USD... not right, maybe 49 USD would be the right price. There is any other alternative on the market?

I am also in the same dilemma.
I have one bkg2 and i think that simvibe will be awesome but is too expensive. 89 USD... not right, maybe 49 USD would be the right price. There is any other alternative on the market?

Exactly. I've got a one of a kind rig that really allows energy to flow through it. Even environmental FFB effects from my T500 do a good job of transferring through it.

Recently hooked up a 100 watt Dayton amp and Aura Pro underneath my seat platform and it gives me all the shaking I could want. This is with settings set so it averages in the 25 - 30 watts consumed on my Kill-a-watt. I honestly have no interest in adding anymore. Energy just transfers too freely on my rig and having a bunch of shakers would not only just add expense and heat, but it'd also turn into a muddy mess.

But 89 dollars is just so off-putting. And considering how locked down it is, they can't put out a one week trial program? Heck, I'd settle for a dumb client that wouldn't even work in games. Just let me see how it handles engine revs. Rumble strips in a simulated environment. If it really was all that, it would sell itself with this. As is, I just remain highly skeptical. And it's not just the added expense of the program (which would be the most expensive component), or the extra sound card, it's another layer of complexity to the whole business of racing.

Although, I should maybe give Insert Coin's link a shot.

There is an alternative as mentioned on x-sim.de, but it is not so easy to set up.
See RacingMat's posts here: http://www.x-sim.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=67&start=20
Haven't tried myself yet. Please note: it's for one shaker only. So if you want to use different effects on separate shakers you need SimVibe.

Dang. Just took a look at that. That does look very interesting. Going to go through that when I have some time to really get into it.

I realize Simvibe would probably be cheaper from a time POV, but it's something that's just alienated me on the principle of it.

EDIT: Got done reading the PDFs. It sounds reasonably easy to set-up *knock on wood*. I'm gonna have to give this a shot. Just worried about how much CPU usage it takes. That's the only possible deal-breaker for me.

2nd EDIT: Sometimes it just one of those days. Took apart my shifter, lubed it all up, and 5 minutes of simming and the mouse squeak is back.

Also couldn't get X-Sim to work. Directions are a little old if you download the latest "aluminum" version. Worked right in testing. Couldn't get it to engage in games though. Granted I only have one audio card, but I was dedicating that to X-Sim. I didn't care about getting audio. Just wanted to see if it was worth buying a second sound card.

Problem may have been when he talks about linking the axis and output. For the life of me, I can't figure out what he did. If I click on Synaptrix, my screen already looked identical to the screen caps. So I couldn't figure out what more I needed to do.

Last edited:
Guys, I also went to look for an alternative and after I saw the space ship complexity of all other softwares I just decided it would cost me more to try and set up any of them.
Yes, the price is way higher than expected, but it is what it is and it is the only easy and 100% working solution.
It is very customizable and you don't need to go on forums to search for plugins for every game. I sound like a salesman but ever since I convinced myself I needed it, I've been happy with the decision.
If you have an audio output through HDMi on your video card you don't even need a second soundcard. Just be careful because with my PC it turned out the HDMI audio was pretty bad and had almost no low frequencies and that's what you need with transducers.

You don't really need to download plugins for X-Sim either. They seem to come with the main client and a scan of your system detects all your games and activates them. You also don't appear to be able to use the program without logging in. So I think it's fairly smart about keeping profiles. Had the directions worked, I think it would have been fairly quick. Unfortunately, for something this complex, directions can get dated if they make some major changes to the client.

That said, if anyone wants to clean up some of the discrepancies, I certainly would try again.

In extension mode I presume?
Where exactly did you place your BKs?
Which effect(s) are you using on which BK?
No. in Chassis mode! I have 2 of them on the 2 sides of the seat and one under the pedals!
I use the default effects, because after 6months of experiments I found that the default setup is the best!
Engine, Fronte and rear suspensions, Gear change and impacts!
For me you don't need to add more effects, because with the rear and front suspension effects you are able to feel every thing like road textures and bumps!
and add other effects does saturate the overall effect and scatters the other effects! is like to throw too many stones in a small well of water!
11120258234_a4c82c6597_b.jpg

10941822095_a1a8b4da84_h.jpg

Impressive rig!
Since you're running in chassis mode, do you feel directional feedback? What I mean is do you feel if you are driving over curbs at the left or right side of the car?
Which game(s) are you running?
Did you isolate your seat? If yes, what kind of material did you use?

Impressive rig!
Since you're running in chassis mode, do you feel directional feedback? What I mean is do you feel if you are driving over curbs at the left or right side of the car?
Which game(s) are you running?
Did you isolate your seat? If yes, what kind of material did you use?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/570356002-R...S_Outdoor_Power_Equipment&hash=item27dd8e181c
Yea, the Chassic mod is>>>>>>>>>>>extension mode, but you need at least 3 BKG2 or Aura! yes, it helps you to feel the road-directional ffb! for example if you go over the curbs with the left tires of the car you are going to feel the vibration coming only from your left seat side!

Just ordered a Xonar from Amazon for 29.99 (Plus it has a 10 dollar rebate). I'll give X-Sim another go once that arrives. If I can't get it going, I'll consider Simvibe. Maybe.

Went with the PCI version of the soundcard, because I bought the PCI-E version a while ago and had to return it. Had horrible interference (buzzing) whenever my GPU went under load. This way I can keep the two separated by six inches. And bonus points, it won't interfere with my cooling like the PCI-E version did (raised GPU temps).

Back