Is TCS for babies?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Devil240Z
  • 60 comments
  • 3,286 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
Messages
861
United States
Olympia, Washington
Messages
Devil240Z
I have been playing GT games since, well since the beginning. Its one of my favorite and most cherished game franchises. I have put probably 1000s of hours in to the series. But I have always used TCS. Never really thought of turning it off. And now with so much online racing going on many of the more popular rooms force people to turn off TCS. but when I do this I find the car to be really difficult to drive. Spinning out all the time.

I just don't understand why people force us to turn it off. I mean a skilled driver should be faster with TCS off anyway so if you let me use it than you should be able to beat me regardless. I just think it would be more inclusive to allow less skilled drivers to turn it on in online races.

Am I alone in this or does anyone agree with me?
 
Just because the mentality is if you can't drive without TCS you aren't skilled. Honestly, You could try learning to drive without TCS. It doesn't take too long to get used to it. it just gives you an idea of throttle control.
 
I use TCS if I'm using a controller but switch it off with pedals. With a controller even with the ps3's analogue buttons / sticks you have a much narrower area of controlling your inputs compared to a wheel and pedal set-up. I think some of the online rooms presume everyone has the top end wheel and pedal set-ups and the much finer control that comes with it.
 
I always use TCS when I race unless I feel like having a challenge. I don't get the whole assists/newbie thing, it's not like I'm trying out for GT Academy. I just want to race, collect cars, and have fun which video games should be about without an attitude over how you play the game.
 
TCS makes the driving more realistic with some cars, like the F1 FGT, it doesn't slide like a road car in real life, without TCS it does slide a lot, Deltawing is enjoyable to drive with TCS, a pain to drive without TCS, so it makes the driving less frustrating and more realistic with some cars, i enjoy driving without it more as it gives you a better challenge.
 
I would recommend turning off the TCS not just to learn it or try to be faster, but for the extra feeling and control having it switched off gives you. TCS can completely change the character and handling of a car. To me, it never feels natural.
 
I never use TCS. I think it is very annoying to have the feeling that you totally floor the gas pedal but not going forward what soever. If you learn how to use throttle control, you will eventually be faster and more suitable to drive fast laps, especially with MR driven cars. I mean common why would I mind spinning wheels on straight ends, it isn't useful for me in corners either, since I'm not a lump guy just stepping on the gas whenever I can...

Ow I love my tuned Mclaren MP4-12C so much, without traction control.
 
In on roll bread...
 
Confucius Pep say, "TC like a rubber crutch. I think it might be nice to lean on, but when I put any weight on it, it collapses and becomes more difficult than just standing up myself.
 
I usually don't use it only because its frowned upon in here. But I don't care if people use it or not.

Doesn't most newer cars come with traction control, with the ability to shut it off?? That's the only reason I would allow it. For people to use if needed. Its not really cheating with it on is it?? I know most racing series don't allow it, which is Ok by me
 
Nope, TCS slows you down. SRF is cheating.
Everytime I try to use any of the other aids it just makes the game harder. I feel like someone is grabbing onto the wheel while i'm driving and making me crash.
 
@psu...I agree with that. Without a wheel, it is much harder to handle more powered HP cars for me. But I try practicing with TCS off. I feel its more touchy now on GT6 than ever. But I'll get the hang of it.
 
Just like moving off automatic gears to manual, moving from TC to full throttle control is more enjoyable. Have you tried doing the easiest races again? Little front wheeled drive cars that will stop under steering when you lift off of the throttle, easier to learn throttle control with, as opposed to trying with very powerfull rear wheeled drive cars.
Engine breaking into corners without bouncing off the limiter, and then feathering the throttle exiting the corner is incredibly satisfying, makes even rubbish cars better fun.
I still use default TC with the Formula One cars, or the full blood RedBull cars. My arthritic thumb has no chance with an Analogue stick.
 
@psu...I agree with that. Without a wheel, it is much harder to handle more powered HP cars for me. But I try practicing with TCS off. I feel its more touchy now on GT6 than ever. But I'll get the hang of it.
yeah. I had to change the controls from X and Square to the triggers just so I could attempt to handle the faster cars without TCS.
 
I've always had TCS off. Like PsuPepperoni said, TCS slows you down. It does make controlling the car easier, but I am way faster with it off and having it on is just more annyoing than helping. (Does not let me accelerate even if I could w/o losing traction).

I use DS3.
 
Another I take my coffee black thread...
...so whats up with you cream, sugar and whiskey laggards?
$crew what other people think, use the aids if you drive better with them.

Personally I don't use them, because the car does not seem to respond as directly...
....but that may not work for the next guy.

That being said, if one has the intention of racing online in organized leagues...
...it may be wise to take the training wheels off, as they are not allowed in many cases.
 
Last edited:
Turn your asm on and your tcs off and don't go into corners too voilently, that will cause under steer and uncontrollable skids.
 
Just like moving off automatic gears to manual, moving from TC to full throttle control is more enjoyable. Have you tried doing the easiest races again? Little front wheeled drive cars that will stop under steering when you lift off of the throttle, easier to learn throttle control with, as opposed to trying with very powerfull rear wheeled drive cars.
Engine breaking into corners without bouncing off the limiter, and then feathering the throttle exiting the corner is incredibly satisfying, makes even rubbish cars better fun.
I still use default TC with the Formula One cars, or the full blood RedBull cars. My arthritic thumb has no chance with an Analogue stick.

I might make a better attempt to learn once the community update comes out. right now online racing is kind of a joke anyway.
 
Some people want to keep riff-raff out of there room. Generally, most riff-raff will use TCS. A simple way to keep them out is banning TCS. Unfortunately this sometimes prevents non-riff-raff from participating. It's not necessarily because they think you're less skilled or look down on you, although that is sometimes the case.
 
you have more control with tcs off if you want to induce throttle oversteer to rotate mid turn. Just don't do it on corner exit...:lol:
 
Nope, TCS slows you down. SRF is cheating.

That is the most ignorant statement I have read in a while. 👎 Although I despise SRF with every bone in my body, it is definitely not cheating...at all. Even though it is like Superman's cape and will greatly improve almost any drivers lap times, not to mention it is the most unrealistic aid, it still is not cheating. Its in the game, as a drivers aid, which anyone can use if they so choose, so again, it is not cheating. Why don't you trying telling everyone that's participating in the Seasonal TT's that its cheating......and let me know how that goes for you. :lol:
 
TCS - It helps drivers who apply steering or throttle beyond the limit of the car. The Electronic brain of the car is doing the work, while the driver is removed that chore... letting them focus on other things.

It is your game and you find the fun where you like. If you like the "feelgood" of catching a slide out of a corner because your size 12 feet made the rear tyres break traction but you were able to save the car with a "dab of oppo" - then more power to you.

If you can't manage to enjoy driving a car with your own car control, use Traction control and enjoy the game.

If you are going to try to go No Traction control - I'd learn in a longer wheelbase FR car as they tend to give the driver more time to react when the back end does try to swap ends on you. A harder car to control at speed will be Mid engined Short wheel base cars and of course those wild horses, the Rear Engined Rear wheel drive cars (Ruf BTR).

Find the fun.
 
you have more control with tcs off if you want to induce throttle oversteer to rotate mid turn. Just don't do it on corner exit...:lol:
I know but it can be harder than it should to control a car with a gamepad and TCS off. I have never even driven a car IRL with any form of TCS and have never spun out racing for real. Except for the first time I ever drove a skyline... Spun out in a crowded intersection right in front of a cop, though it was raining.
 
The title of this thread might have been made by a "baby"
 
That is the most ignorant statement I have read in a while. 👎 Although I despise SRF with every bone in my body, it is definitely not cheating...at all. Even though it is like Superman's cape and will greatly improve almost any drivers lap times, not to mention it is the most unrealistic aid, it still is not cheating. Its in the game, as a drivers aid, which anyone can use if they so choose, so again, it is not cheating. Why don't you trying telling everyone that's participating in the Seasonal TT's that its cheating......and let me know how that goes for you. :lol:
Well that depends on your definition of cheating.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back